O just keeps getting better or NOT

LHT28

Children aren't banned ... but neither are they "encouraged". My guess is that most parents who realize that the ships are smaller and don't have children's programs (with a very few exceptions) will realize that not all children will be happy on an Oceania cruise. The fact that many of us "older folks" would prefer a child-free cruise is another matter.

As I've said before, I'm not one who generally wants to be surrounded by children! But that being said, we haven't encountered problems on our Oceania cruises. However, some have. I do remember a cruise about 3 years ago where the teenage son of one of the officers was on board. He was a lovely young man (my guess was between 12 and 14) but he looked horribly bored, especially when he was dining with officers and he was the only young person at the table.

Mura

You are welcome.

However, my post was in response to MarkieMark's post, not yours.

Sorry, I missed a few words in my response, it should have read "I knew you would give me a straight answer, and your response was to the response to my question. Thanks".:o

Edited by Oville

He was a lovely young man (my guess was between 12 and 14) but he looked horribly bored, especially when he was dining with officers and he was the only young person at the table.

Mura

Ha, ha. Sounds like your typical 12 - 14 year old boy, the quiet age.

If it matters, when I was speaking to the O rep to ask my questions, she mentioned that there are often more families onboard in the summer (we were inquiring about a July sailing) and I can't remember if she said kids sailed free or not since this is our honeymoon and I wasn't planning to bring my 7 year old anyway. I know she said there wasn't a fancy program for them.

He'd probably love O, though. Not all kids are little hellions thankfully (I'm a preschool teacher). Some actually do enjoy quiet environments and good food.

SusieV: As a nursery school teacher, can you understand that even some teachers that adore children, also appreciate some adult time? IMO, this is what Oceania offers. I would love to see Oceania offer a couple of "adults only" cruises during the summer for people that can only vacation in the summer (many of whom are school teachers).

Some people spend 30+ years of their lives raising children (especially the millennials that seem to never leave home:-) While there are plenty of cruise lines that cater to families and children, there are only a few that do not.

It saddens me that anyone would think that you have to be "emotionally and intellectually fragile" to want to enjoy an adults oriented vacation.

In terms of it being a "crap shoot", it really is. We have seen some wonderful children on a cruise but it could take only one family with unruly children to ruin it for everyone else (running through the halls, crawling under tables while dining, "playing" with the elevator, screeching, dive bombing in the pool, etc.) I don't blame the children - I blame the parents. Children should be able to have fun and not be worried about getting dirty looks. Oceania simply isn't the best place for children.

that O's model is such that it promotes as a adult experience and has no children's facilities. With the options of other family ships why would a child be comfortable is such a adult atmosphere. When taking a child into such a situation I must ask is it for the child's or the adults benefit ? I strongly suspect the latter.

Kids will enjoy themselves way more acting up with other kids not performing as disciplined well mannered little adults for their mentors.( parents).

Kids only get to be kids for a short time before being thrust in an adult world...let them enjoy their time and NOT impose yours on them... they only get one chance and cant go back....

Edited by Hawaiidan

If it matters, when I was speaking to the O rep to ask my questions, she mentioned that there are often more families onboard in the summer (we were inquiring about a July sailing) and I can't remember if she said kids sailed free or not since this is our honeymoon and I wasn't planning to bring my 7 year old anyway. I know she said there wasn't a fancy program for them.

He'd probably love O, though. Not all kids are little hellions thankfully (I'm a preschool teacher). Some actually do enjoy quiet environments and good food.

Yes in the summer you do get more families because school is out but the new promo of them sailing free is something new for O

In all the years of being on O I cannot recall this type of offer before but my memory might be fading ;)

I agree not all children are hyperactive or need constant attention .