Where to stay in London before cruise?

If you're sure that you want to stay in the Victoria area have a look at Dolphin Square Hotel (sometimes known as Dolphin House) which is a very pleasant hotel not far from the station. Also The Taj St James Court hotel which is very comfortable and in an excellent area.

The Holiday inn Express is fine but the rooms are very small and facilities are limited ie no bar to speak of. They do free breakfasts however.

We are staying with points - so we're using IHG hotels. Is the Victoria area prime market, so to speak? Is Vauxhall too far away? It looks like it's just a quick underground ride to anything.

Thanks!

If it's a choice between Victoria or Vauxhall then go with Victoria. Wouldn't recommend Vauxhall. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Victoria and it's not too bad ( I didn't see any mould.) As I said before rooms can be small but perhaps you could request a larger one. Breakfasts were fine and the area too.

If you want an excellent IHG then Holiday Inn Bloomsbury is a good one with lovely bar and restaurant and also only metres from a tube. I appreciate its not Victoria but it's rates are often very attractive.

If it's a choice between Victoria or Vauxhall then go with Victoria. Wouldn't recommend Vauxhall. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Victoria and it's not too bad ( I didn't see any mould.) As I said before rooms can be small but perhaps you could request a larger one. Breakfasts were fine and the area too.

If you want an excellent IHG then Holiday Inn Bloomsbury is a good one with lovely bar and restaurant and also only metres from a tube. I appreciate its not Victoria but it's rates are often very attractive.

Okay so between Vauxhall and Victoria you'd go Victoria. Switching things up...what if it's between Victoria and Southwark? There's a HIE there that has b'fast (would help save money!)

Thanks!

The Southwark one is much bigger with better facilities and is also very handy for Tate Modern & the Globe theatre, Millennium Bridge to St Paul's so more attractions - but it's not really that near to Victoria. If you're on a budget then go with the cheapest and it would be fine I'm sure , they are both decent hotels in decent areas.

Personally, I would have no problems going with the SHS in Vauxhall. You're about a half a mile from Vauxhall station, with tons of transport options - lots of buses as well as tube and train links. Last summer we seemed to spend half our time connecting at Vauxhall, and it was quite efficient and safe feeling.

Personally, I would have no problems going with the SHS in Vauxhall. You're about a half a mile from Vauxhall station, with tons of transport options - lots of buses as well as tube and train links. Last summer we seemed to spend half our time connecting at Vauxhall, and it was quite efficient and safe feeling.

I am glad you said something about the SHS in Vauxhall. It seems really impressive that all the reviews are 5 star and it looks like it's close enough to the tube and train that we'd not have any regrets when it comes to traveling. It looks like there's a HOHO stop just north of the hotel, too?

Thanks!

Yes - it's not in a tourist area, but there are easy links to anywhere you want to go.

We're on the same cruise as blrabbit and will be staying at Vancouver Studios in Bayswater. Again not a tourist area but we've been to London many times before and were looking for a reasonably priced aparthotel with three bedrooms. Vancouver Studios is well reviewed and ticked all the boxes, we also have three Tube stations within walking distance, so we are happy with our choice:)

There are a lot of reasonably priced hotels near the Gloucester Road underground station on the Picadilly Line which is direct from Heathrow at much lower cost than Heathrow Express to Paddington Station - which offers less attractive selection of hotels. There are many hotels on Cromwell Road right near the station - and Montana Hotel two blocks up Gloucester Road would be about $130 per night. Because three lines: Central, District and Picadilly lines all stop at Gloucester Road, you would have easy, inexpensive transport all over London. There are also many inexpensive places to eat in that immediate area.

We booked a Family Room for 4 of us at the Premier Inn - County Hall. Looks to be a decent budget hotel in a great location at a very fair price ... but not quite sure about the no AC in mid-August and rollaway-sofabed for the kids. Hopefully, the train from Waterloo to Southampton will also be running without the anticipated construction issues at that time.

If anyone has any advice ... it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked a Family Room for 4 of us at the Premier Inn - County Hall. Looks to be a decent budget hotel in a great location at a very fair price ... but not quite sure about the no AC in mid-August and rollaway-sofabed for the kids. Hopefully, the train from Waterloo to Southampton will also be running without the anticipated construction issues at that time.

If anyone has any advice ... it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I stayed at the Premier Inn Waterloo/Westminster, very close to the Premier Inn County Hall.

The Premier Inn Waterloo has AC.

Did you check out this hotel?

We booked a Family Room for 4 of us at the Premier Inn - County Hall. Looks to be a decent budget hotel in a great location at a very fair price ... but not quite sure about the no AC in mid-August and rollaway-sofabed for the kids.

I

It's Britain. Lack of AC is probably not going to be a huge problem. It's a very well sited hotel so should be fine for your needs (assuming the sofabed is okay).

I am trying to find somewhere for 3-24 yr old guys to stay. I am having problems with beds.....double bed and pull out couch, or they won't put 3 adults in a room. Right now I have the HIEx Stratford booked x 2 nights, then they go to Manchester and are staying on points at HIEx Salford Quays x 1 night then back to London to HIEx Victoria x 1 night. I absolutely have no idea if I am putting them in an isolated area or what. Any suggestions? They want to be able to see some sites and possibly go to a soccer stadium tour if possible. They fly into Heathrow. We have reservations at the Hampton Inn Waterloo before our cruise in September but I need to find hotels for these "boys" for April. Any help?

As far London is concerned, Victoria would be fine, as it's in the middle of town. However, the HIX isn't in Victoria; it's in Pimlico - fortunately, close to Pimlico Tube so that should be OK.

But Stratford is a long way out east, and even though it's well served by public transport, it would be a pain to have to haul out there just to go "home" in the middle of the day. And the HIX isn't as well located for the public transport, when compared to the Holiday Inn that's in the Westfield shopping centre.

As Globaliser says the Victoria one is fine - short walk to Pimlico tube, slightly longer to Victoria. The Stratford one is further out and less convenient. What about looking at HEX London City on Old St. It's in a very trendy area and backs onto Hoxton Square, very popular with youngsters. Some fabulous Vietnamese restaurants round the corner and the hotel itself has a decent bar. Handy for restaurants, cafes, etc also very close to Old Street tube.

As far London is concerned, Victoria would be fine, as it's in the middle of town. However, the HIX isn't in Victoria; it's in Pimlico - fortunately, close to Pimlico Tube so that should be OK.

But Stratford is a long way out east, and even though it's well served by public transport, it would be a pain to have to haul out there just to go "home" in the middle of the day. And the HIX isn't as well located for the public transport, when compared to the Holiday Inn that's in the Westfield shopping centre.

Thank you! I will work on getting something closer and more convenient. I told you I didn't know what I was doing and appreciate everyone's input.

I misspoke (or mistyped) It is the HIX Southwark? How is that for convenience? Would it be ok?

I am trying to reply to this post so if I have 50 posts of the same, I apologize. My posts just don't seem to want to go thru. What about Southwark Holiday Inn Express? Is it convenient? I am about to let these 3 "boys" book there own darn hotel!

We love the Taj Hotel and Residences at 51 Buckingham Gate. All the accommodations are apartments with full kitchens and washer/dryer. It is located just behind Buckingham Palace. Not sure when your cruise is but the Queen is not in residence in September and BP is open for tours. The hotel has a fantastic Indian restaurant, the best concierges I've encountered anywhere and is located across the street from a fantastic bakery/cafe where you can get wonderful takeout. The location is very central and close to a tube stop, sites and theatres.

I mis-spoke (or mis-typed). How about Southwark Holiday Inn Express. Is it more convenient?

Far more convenient than Stratford.

On the edge of tourist London, which is mainly north of the river but also stretches along the south bank - it's just a five minute walk from Bankside pubs and restaurants, Shakespeare's Globe and Tate Modern.

I'd rate the location broadly on a par with HIX Victoria which, as G has posted, is actually in neighbouring Pimlico.(nb Don't confuse that HIX with one in Victoria Street, Park Royal, which is as inconvenient as Stratford.)

Both the one in Southwark and the one in Pimlico are a five minute walk from a tube station.

Mebbe choose according to their transport into or out of London.

Victoria is good for Heathrow (direct bus or one easy change by tube). Also good for Southampton or Dover by direct bus (and Southampton by direct slow train), and Gatwick by direct bus or train.

Southwark is good for Southampton or Dover by direct train.

JB :)

We love the Taj Hotel and Residences at 51 Buckingham Gate.

Well, yes, one of London's finest hotels, with a particular reputation for service from the staff.

But a somewhat different proposition (and price point) to Holiday Inn Express and Premier Inn :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums