Want to watch rugby or football while in Sydney

Some real advice, which may save your life --

When crossing a road, always look RIGHT. We drive on the other side of the road.

Other advice, walk on the left, same on stairs, escalators, etc.

Footballs and leagues:

Australian Rules (Sydney Swans etc). AFL. The best and most important.

Rugby League. NRL. Stuff that gut yabbers on about.

Rugby Union (also refereed to just as rugby). Super league, an international competition. No idea about it.

Soccer/football. A-League

Thanks, yes. Spent some time in London, so I get the wrong side of the street thing (just kidding). But thanks for the reminder on escalators--I might have forgotten that.

And thanks for the summary of the leagues!

ML

I read thru this, it was quite good. I'm not sure why you want to discourage tourists, especially Americans, At this point. Haven't we shown we will buy anything, if it is packaged right??? Isn't that a good thing??:confused:

ML

LOl, that is part of Aussie humour, we act or tough and rough but we are really marshmallow inside. Some of our real soft-hearted characters are people like those in Wolf creek:rolleyes:

Footballs and leagues:

Australian Rules (Sydney Swans etc). AFL. The best and most important.

Rugby League. NRL. Stuff that gut yabbers on about.

Rugby Union (also refereed to just as rugby). Super league, an international competition. No idea about it.

AFL - What grown men play when they fail their ballroom dancing class.:rolleyes:

NRL - What grown men play when they fail their high school entrance exam.:eek:

Rugby Union - What grown men play because they weren't allowed to play Rugby League at school.:)

Super League - What Englishmen play when they want to play Rugby League but can't afford the airfare to Redfern.;)

AFL - What grown men play when they fail their ballroom dancing class.:rolleyes:

Rugby Union - What grown men play because they weren't allowed to play Rugby League at school.:)

Super League - What Englishmen play when they want to play Rugby League but can't afford the airfare to Redfern.;)

I'm guessing your countrymen (and women) will have some comments on this. I am strictly neutral :)

ML

When first played one hundred years ago, the descriptions were -

Football (soccer) = A Gentleman's game.

Rugby Union = A thug's game for gentlemen.

Rugby League = A gentleman's game for thugs.

Aussie Rules = A Game.

hehehe--I knew you guys would have more!

ML

Had a few good Poms at Redfern the last couple of years.

When first played one hundred years ago, the descriptions were -

Football (soccer) = A Gentleman's game.

Rugby Union = A thug's game for gentlemen.

Rugby League = A gentleman's game for thugs.

Aussie Rules = A Game.

Closest in my life I've come to being called a gentleman, well it's said I played a gentleman's game.

Now they are -

RU = Mugs on drugs

RL = Thugs on drugs

I like what the yanks call soccer players = Lawn fairies - they will decorate your lawn in any position but mostly lying face down in agony.

Down here in Oz, since they are all covered by actors equity = Flaring Feigning Floppers...

Indoor soccer, Fusbal, Foosball = Fuzzballers, Footstools, or if you're over 35 and still playing = Flash mob Faux Pas ...

Harsh but fair. Lol...

Cheers r

I like what the yanks call soccer players = Lawn fairies - they will decorate your lawn in any position but mostly lying face down in agony.

Down here in Oz, since they are all covered by actors equity = Flaring Feigning Floppers...

Indoor soccer, Fusbal, Foosball = Fuzzballers, Footstools, or if you're over 35 and still playing = Flash mob Faux Pas ...

Harsh but fair. Lol...

Cheers r

I have to say, I totally agree with the "lying face down in agony" thing about soccer. They should all be awarded acting trophies :-). Sort of like US 'participation trophies' given to all the kids so they never learn about winning and losing. But better, since soccer players get paid :D

ML

Of course it does, but it is just perfected in "Soccer" world football where a paper cut can be simulated into a great white bite removing half their torso. :eek:

:p

The biggest egos are the most brittle and delicate.:rolleyes:

Of course it does, but it is just perfected in "Soccer" world football where a paper cut can be simulated into a great white bite removing half their torso. :eek:

:p

And I do so love the miraculous recoveries. One second close to death, maybe on a stretcher, the next, up and running all about. God must love soccer players :D

ML

And I do so love the miraculous recoveries. One second close to death, maybe on a stretcher, the next, up and running all about. God must love soccer players :D

ML

The magic sponge and magic spray they apply probably contain Lourdes Water.

I may have missed it, but has anyone suggested that the OP take in a game of cricket while here? And a good way of filling in a day or five.

It's quite a simple game and easy to follow keeping in mind the following simplified explanation of how it is played.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

I may have missed it, but has anyone suggested that the OP take in a game of cricket while here? And a good way of filling in a day or five.

It's quite a simple game and easy to follow keeping in mind the following simplified explanation of how it is played.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

March so maybe a bit late

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cricket Season is already finished by march.

While it is a great suggestion, glad no cricket available :). Just reading the description wore me out. I've tried to watch on TV but it makes little sense.

Does seem like a great reason to drink though :D

ML