How come Carnival lets Travel Agent companies hold large numbers of cabins?

Galleon1234

I have a far out cruise I want to take and it appears "sold out" except for deck 1 and 2. I know this cruise is not sold out. The Travel agencies are holding large blocks of cabins I know for a fact. It just doesn't seem fair to me... I prefer to control my own booking. I will occasionally transfer it to a Travel Agent b4 final payment for a nice OBC etc.

Edited by shadow1234

I have a far out cruise I want to take and it appears "sold out" except for deck 1 and 2. I know this cruise is not sold out. The Travel agencies are holding large blocks of cabins I know for a fact. It just doesn't seem fair to me... I prefer to control my own booking. I will occasionally transfer it to a Travel Agent b4 final payment for a nice OBC etc.

Money talks.

If you were a TA you would be doing the same thing.

How do you know that as a fact? How long do you think they get to hold them?

As far as I know, they hold a certain number of cabins for their groups that can be booked through them at their specific group rate. They can't physically hold specific cabin #s. If you don't see a cabin you want online, call Carnival or your TA. The site only shows but so many open cabins at a time. And some cabins you have to call for in order to book.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Because I have been on another social forum and they are saying what they have left in their group blocks... The cruise line prices appear unusually high because the Carnival price system raises prices when a cruise appears close to sold out. I am not sure how long they are allowed to hold the group blocks, but as soon as final payment is due they for sure have to release the cabins.

Because I have been on another social forum and they are saying what they have left in their group blocks... The cruise line prices appear unusually high because the Carnival price system raises prices when a cruise appears close to sold out. I am not sure how long they are allowed to hold the group blocks, but as soon as final payment is due they for sure have to release the cabins.

If a TA starts a group as soon as the prices and dates are released, then they are able to hold a certain number of cabins that can be booked in that group at the group rate and any amenities included in that rate. They hold a certain amount of rooms and room types. Not specific room numbers. Pricing up or down depends on how well the ship is or isn't selling. The TA I'm using locked in group rates back in February of last year for August of this year. The rate is no longer available but those who booked in the group are paying alot less than those who booked once the prices started rising. My cabin, for example, is $423 more today. And we're no where near final payment. My TA booked the entire block he had other than 2 or 3 inside cabins.Those were released once the group booking deadline was reached.

Can you consistently deliver multiple bookings?

BTW, "control your own booking" sounds like a great idea - until something goes wrong. Who do you think will get more immediate attention for some SNAFU?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If a TA starts a group as soon as the prices and dates are released, then they are able to hold a certain number of cabins that can be booked in that group at the group rate and any amenities included in that rate. They hold a certain amount of rooms and room types. Not specific room numbers. Pricing up or down depends on how well the ship is or isn't selling. The TA I'm using locked in group rates back in February of last year for August of this year. The rate is no longer available but those who booked in the group are paying alot less than those who booked once the prices started rising. My cabin, for example, is $423 more today. And we're no where near final payment. My TA booked the entire block he had other than 2 or 3 inside cabins.Those were released once the group booking deadline was reached.

You said it pretty well. The block of cabin numbers are relatively small in size and can be recalled at any time by Carnival. As time goes on and depending how the bookings are going, Carnival can extend the hold or not, usually never inside final pay and usually only for 60 days (prior to any extensions).

I have cruised for years and have never had any problems dealing directly with the cruise lines:). I can get price drops on my own and I can talk directly to the cruise line. Just my opinion and everyone can have there own:)!

If the group rate is cheaper though, then why not book in the group? Waiting for group holds to be released is really not going to work as groups start up and expire all of the time. There could be hundreds of TAs with group rates already established. Even if it is far out. Who knows when they will expire. Meanwhile prices can keep going up. Your rate isn't locked until you out down a deposit. What kind of room are you looking for?

You will not see everything that is available.

I just booked August 2018 in two cabins.

What i was seeing online is not what I was able to book because i wanted specific cabins. Agent was able to get those

BUt if you are looking at oceanviews-- they are only located on deck 1 or deck 2

I prefer to control my own booking. I will occasionally transfer it to a Travel Agent b4 final payment for a nice OBC etc.

thought carnival only allowed you to transfer to an agent within 30 days of booking

Edited by serene56

I kind of wondered a bit too, as I joined a group for the Pride Journey's cruise in 2019 and a gentleman mentioned in that group that he was holding all of the insides with the french doors, that are between the lifeboats (so they have a better view). Those aren't showing as available cabins on Carnival's site, but this TA I assume is claiming to be able to book them because they are holding them. This person listed specific cabin numbers that they were holding, and said to contact them if we were interested in one of those cabins.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

Only looking for an inside on a Journey cruise in October.

And you're saying the prices are high because of TA holds? I don't know how you figure that. I looked at one Journeys cruise (Galveston to PC Breeze repo). This was just announced last week and the price is starting at $1500+pp:eek: Too rich for my blood but if TAs set up groups, they set them up with the prices showing at the time. If the price changed, it's because it's already showing to be a popular sailing.

You also said most TAs book guarantees. Just not true. My last 3 bookings were with agents and we got to pick our cabin. I would never book a guarantee cabin.

I highly doubt a Journeys cruise will drop in price after final payment. But if it does, you can get the drop so long as you are booked early saver. There's no reason why you can't book onboard next week.

Both of the Journeys cruises for October 2017 are almost sold out. Believable. And I doubt Carnival would even still allow TA holds at this point. The cruise was announced over a year ago.

You said it pretty well. The block of cabin numbers are relatively small in size and can be recalled at any time by Carnival. As time goes on and depending how the bookings are going, Carnival can extend the hold or not, usually never inside final pay and usually only for 60 days (prior to any extensions).

Thanks. I just pick things up listening to my TA and asking questions.

a gentleman mentioned in that group that he was holding all of the insides with the french doors, that are between the lifeboats (so they have a better view). Those aren't showing as available cabins on Carnival's site, but this TA I assume is claiming to be able to book them because they are holding them.

Then they are bring held with real money on them.