Soloing the Caribbean: Live from the Regal - 22 Jan to 05 Feb 2017

Croptop

When we were on the Regal B2B,

they continued to page passengers to the theatre. They did a good job rounding everyone up. No B2B passenger leave the ship before it is completed. It was a very quick process. We lined up by rows as they started with the front row and checked our documents before we exited. We were in and out in 30 minutes. You can then go directly to the gang way and leave the ship. Princess had this down to a science. Looking forward to your review!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

lindy sails, thanks for the information. I'll make sure I go to the theater and get cleared by Princess and customs before leaving the ship. This back to back cruising will be a new experience for us. Thank goodness we have people on cruise critic like you. :)

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

When on a b2b your given a Transit Card you

show it when you come back at the door and

get to go thru and not wait with passengers getting on.

Belle, also a thank goes to you. I did not know about the Transit Card, it sure will make the process of getting back on the ship easy. :)

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

This morning, it was slightly warmer that yesterday's departure but still overcast and windy. Looking at the weather forecast, predictions were for a high of 27C and 100% chance of rain. Perfect conditions for a beach day!

Oh well. "If you spill the milk, make lemonade," my mother always used to tell me. I think that's what she said. I didn't listen or focus well as a child. I say "used to tell me" not because my mother is gone. Oh no, she's still alive and kicking. She's just stopped telling me things because I never listen.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

Oh yeah! Princess Cays. Rain. Beach day.

But first it was off to the Fitness Centre for the morning stretch and abs class. I'm not getting any bendier or washboard stomachier but it lets me pretend I'm doing something good so I keep at it. This morning's group was the largest one I've seen so either this cruise is filled with keeners or everyone was just well rested because of last night's rain and figured, "Screw it! I'm up so let's go stretch!".

My plan for the day had always been to go ashore and go for a nice run. I can do that in the rain just as easily as in the sun. In fact, overcast conditions make for more pleasant runs in many cases. So off I trundled to get onto a tender to head ashore.

It turned out that my fretting over the weather was for naught. Conditions steadily improved to end up being warm and a mix of sun an clouds. It made for a perfect run along the road that parallels the Princess Cays area. Then it was back onto a tender and back to the ship.

Had a quick lunch and then spent the afternoon enjoying the quiet areas of the ship and getting a in a whole lot of reading. And true to my promise, I added the "Fluffernutter Sundae" to the "Sundaes I Have Tried" list. It was good but definitely no threat to the reigning flavour champion the "Oreo Sundae".

Once again, the PES Lounge was almost standing room only although not quite as busy as last night. And tonight was Italian night in the main dining room.

Not much else to report on for today's activities. Tomorrow is a sea day and the first formal night and in keeping with (my) tradition, that means that I'll be dining at the Crown Grill. I can't wait!

John (Croptop), you mentioned that a 100 passengers staying on for the second week with you left the ship to do stuff. Since these folks didn't sit in the Princess Theater with you to be cleared with customs, did they have to go through the regular procedure of checking in with the new passengers arriving? This back to back thing will be new for us and we were thinking about walking off the ship once we arrive back to Ft. Lauderdale.

If you want to get off of the ship on turnaround day during your B2B, here's how it works:

The night before you arrive back in Ft. Lauderdale, you are given a card that states, "Passenger In Transit". You take that card, your passport/ID, and your Customs Declaration card and you disembark once disembarkation begins. You line up and go through Customs in the terminal and show them the "In Transit" card. Once you've done that, you are free to go about your business in Ft. Lauderdale. You will NOT be allowed back onto the ship until all disembarking passengers have left and Customs has zeroed out the ship. Then, the regular embarkation process will have begun. When you come back, you will have to go through the security screening like the rest of the incoming passengers but once you are through, you'll be able to get back on the ship without waiting.

lindy sails, thanks for the information. I'll make sure I go to the theater and get cleared by Princess and customs before leaving the ship. This back to back cruising will be a new experience for us. Thank goodness we have people on cruise critic like you. :)

If you want to go ashore, there is no reason to wait (unless you want to) until the meeting of those who have not gone ashore. (Meeting is around 10 AM.)

You can get off if you wish once any of the departing passengers are allowed off the ship. Just bring your passport with you to show immigration. You can reboard once new passengers are allowed on board, generally by noon. You have to go through security in the terminal, but do not have to check in again.

By the way. Depending on the number of B2B passengers, the immigration clearance might not take place on board. In that case, you will still meet on board per a letter you will receive, but will then be led off in a group to go through immigration and then back onto the ship once the count has been zeroed.

If you are switching cabins, you will have been given a new cruise card for the 2nd segment. If you will not be switching cabins, your cruise card will be good for both segments.

If you want to get off of the ship on turnaround day during your B2B, here's how it works:

The night before you arrive back in Ft. Lauderdale, you are given a card that states, "Passenger In Transit". You take that card, your passport/ID, and your Customs Declaration card and you disembark once disembarkation begins. You line up and go through Customs in the terminal and show them the "In Transit" card. Once you've done that, you are free to go about your business in Ft. Lauderdale. You will NOT be allowed back onto the ship until all disembarking passengers have left and Customs has zeroed out the ship. Then, the regular embarkation process will have begun. When you come back, you will have to go through the security screening like the rest of the incoming passengers but once you are through, you'll be able to get back on the ship without waiting.

No matter what Princess tells you, customs does not want that card if you are continuing your voyage because they want it at the end of your journey when you (and the merchandise you are declaring) will be staying in the country.

Edited by caribill

Croptop, thanks for the information. I wasn't thinking about walking off the ship with my passport, I thought my drivers license would be enough. We will now take our passports and the transit card. Don't plan on any excursions in Ft. Lauderdale, just want to get off the ship for some walking exercise and seeing what's around the cruise terminal and maybe buy a bottle of wine. Two or three hours would be enough time for us.

Glad to hear the weather was getting better at Princess Cays, hope it's perfect the rest of the week for you. :) One more question, what does PES stand for? You mentioned it was a lounge on the Regal where everyone was gathering.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Edited by Kenosha Cruiser

If you want to go ashore, there is no reason to wait (unless you want to) until the meeting of those who have not gone ashore. (Meeting is around 10 AM.)

You can get off if you wish once any of the departing passengers are allowed off the ship. Just bring your passport with you to show immigration. You can reboard once new passengers are allowed on board, generally by noon. You have to go through security in the terminal, but do not have to check in again.

By the way. Depending on the number of B2B passengers, the immigration clearance might not take place on board. In that case, you will still meet on board per a letter you will receive, but will then be led off in a group to go through immigration and then back onto the ship once the count has been zeroed.

If you are switching cabins, you will have been given a new cruise card for the 2nd segment. If you will not be switching cabins, your cruise card will be good for both segments.

caribill, thanks for your info. Now I know I can walk off at anytime when disembarkation starts. We probably won't walk off till after 10:00 AM. This way we can enjoy a leisurely breakfast and still get cleared in the Princess Theater if they go that route. I'm glad we are not switching cabins.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Edited by Kenosha Cruiser

This is to answer Kenosha Cruiser's question about the PES lounge.

It is a reserved space on all Princess cruise ships where complimentary appetizers and reduced cost drinks are served in the early evening before dinner.

Anyone with Platinum or Elite loyalty levels or booked into a suite are invited to this nightly event.

I am surprised that you have not heard of this perk,given all the Princess cruises listed under your signature. You must have Elite loyalty level which would give you access to this lounge.

Check it out on your next cruise- it is a welcoming and pleasant place to visit before dinner.

This is to answer Kenosha Cruiser's question about the PES lounge.

It is a reserved space on all Princess cruise ships where complimentary appetizers and reduced cost drinks are served in the early evening before dinner.

Anyone with Platinum or Elite loyalty levels or booked into a suite are invited to this nightly event.

I am surprised that you have not heard of this perk,given all the Princess cruises listed under your signature. You must have Elite loyalty level which would give you access to this lounge.

Check it out on your next cruise- it is a welcoming and pleasant place to visit before dinner.

MJSailors, now I know what your talking about. We have gone a couple times on past cruises for the $5.00 drink of the day and appetizers. On the Regal and Royal it's usually in Club 6 and other ships in Skywalkers. In the beginning of each cruise we get a card in our cabin listing the drink of the day for the week with appetizers. It just didn't register with me what PES stood for. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

MJSailors, now I know what your talking about. We have gone a couple times on past cruises for the $5.00 drink of the day and appetizers. On the Regal and Royal it's usually in Club 6 and other ships in Skywalkers. In the beginning of each cruise we get a card in our cabin listing the drink of the day for the week with appetizers. It just didn't register with me what PES stood for. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

That cracked me up! You know everything about the Regal. Enjoy your first B2B. Staying on board when everyone else is leaving is awesome! I sailed the Regal again last November and it was spectacular! Doing a Royal 10 day in March but now wishing I just booked another Regal cruise.

That cracked me up! You know everything about the Regal. Enjoy your first B2B. Staying on board when everyone else is leaving is awesome! I sailed the Regal again last November and it was spectacular! Doing a Royal 10 day in March but now wishing I just booked another Regal cruise.

Hi Roberta, good to hear from you. Yes I should had known what PES stood for. We will be back on the Regal in 11 more days, my favorite Princess ship and I can't wait. You and your mom should join us in October on the Regal. Were doing a 10 day cruise during Halloween from New York to Ft. Lauderdale. Enjoy your cruise on the Royal in March, another favorite ship of mine. :)

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Sorry for the lack of posts, everyone. Rest assured that I am OK, I have plenty of internet minutes and I haven't become trapped in some obscure corner of the ship, forced to eat slugs and burn carpet strips for warmth (although I did get locked out of my cabin briefly this morning when my cruise card stopped working). I was so traumatised that I had to have a second breakfast prior to heading down to Passenger Services to get a new one.

Anyway, the reason for my dropoff in posting is this: I am a boring creature of habit. After so many days of saying, "I got up, did the ab and stretch classes, had breakfast, went for a run, had lunch, read a book/napped, ate dinner, and watched a movie before drifting off to sleep with the gentle rocking of the ship", I figured it was getting a bit repetitive.

I really don't have much else to report. The taxi drivers in Montego Bay were as aggressive as everyone has reported but they weren't nasty about it, at least not to me. The line of cars stuck in traffic on Grand Cayman stretched for over 2 kilometres from the start of my run at the dockside.

We're just docking in Cozumel as I write this. Once we get clearance I'm going to go ashore and...

Attend a Mexican cooking class and beach day excursion.

Just kidding. I'm going for a run. Surprise!