First Family Cruise - RC Liberty - Suggestions please!

jbonvi137

Hey Everyone! We are taking our first family cruise and would like any tips that you can offer us! Everything from departure port to onboard suggestions and off ship ports/excursions for families. We are going on the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas on a Western Caribbean cruise for 7 nights leaving from Galveston at the end of Feb. We have two boys ages 9 and 6 that love to be active! Trip goals are quality family time, memorable experience for the kids and also giving the boys the opportunity to get to know different cultures. Any tips/recommendations that you can give us in regards to this trip would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you in advance!!!

Hey Everyone! We are taking our first family cruise and would like any tips that you can offer us! Everything from departure port to onboard suggestions and off ship ports/excursions for families. We are going on the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas on a Western Caribbean cruise for 7 nights leaving from Galveston at the end of Feb. We have two boys ages 9 and 6 that love to be active! Trip goals are quality family time, memorable experience for the kids and also giving the boys the opportunity to get to know different cultures. Any tips/recommendations that you can give us in regards to this trip would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you in advance!!!

Welcome to CC. You may consider joining your roll call for your sailing. Your questions could be answered there for your particular Cruise. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35Also Cruise on over to Ports Of Call for your itinerary. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5. Enjoy your Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

We were on Liberty last August and will be on her again Feb 5.

Last time we were 12 including a 9 and 13 year old. There were over 1500 kids on our last voyage and they were all well behaved and had a great time!

We had no problem taking a small case of water on board if you feel you want it. There are plenty of places to get water onboard. If they are big soda drinkers, get one soda package, they can share.... If not, water, ice tea, etc is included.

Get lanyards for the kids and have guest services punch a hole in their cruise cards so you can attach them to the lanyard. The kids have plenty of stuff to do. There's an arcade and age appropriate activity centers. There are also some great water slides. They have to be 90 pounds to ride the tidal wave though.

The rock climbing wall is awesome!

Make sure you sign all the waivers on-line when you do the on-line check in. You'll save time when it comes to doing activities.

The kids loved the parades and the DreamWorks characters were out and about to take photos with. We let the young ones have some freedom to do their own thing. They went to the arcade, got self-serve ice cream, played mini golf, got food, etc all on their own. We had designated meeting times. Get them a cheap watch.

Bring a waterproof camera for great photos, a cell phone works, but you can't take it in the water. You can find great deals on Craigslist and eBay.

All the shows were kid friendly. The Saturday Night Fever show has an adult theme (boy trying to get girl), but it was very tame and our two really enjoyed the show. The Quest was a bit risque and battle of the sexes had its moments, but again, nothing major.

You can get all the way up front to the tip of the bow, Titanic style. It's a great place for the sail away or during the cruise. It's windy though! Go all the forward outside on deck 4, up the stairs and forward some more.

Read the Cruise Compass every night. Bring a highlighter to mark the things you want to do. You can't do everything, by design. Just relax and let the vacation flow.

Bring some magnetic sign(s), designs, etc to put on your cabin door. It makes it much easier to find! Also, bring post-it notes to leave notes for each other or your cabin staff.

Don't let the small stuff bother you. There may be lines, rude people, etc. You may have to change your itinerary because of weather. Just roll with it and have a great time!

Oh, if you have a balcony cabin, the room service breakfast (tip your delivery person $2-$3 cash) is a great way to go. You put your order out the night before and pick your delivery time. The balconies are huge and it was very enjoyable sitting out there having breakfast. You can also make a run to the buffet and bring it back to your room.

Enjoy your vacation!

Get them signed up for Adventure Ocean the first day so they can meet other kids. Also, we all LOVED the ice skating show and there was a lights-off kids show they enjoyed. DS liked ping pong. We had fun doing Karaoke. (We went on Liberty in 2014 so hope my info is still up to date!)

Also, try to find a cruise review of you ship/cruise itinerary from someone who has kids... sometimes people put copies of the Cruise Compass on there. May not be identical but will give you an idea of what to expect.

Have fun!

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

That is great info and helps a ton! Thank you! We are visiting Cozumel, George Town, grand cayman and Falmouth, Jamaica

Another vote for Ice show it is amazing for all ages do not miss, try to do Stingray city on Cayman but I would not want to book via RCCL, tons of options for Cozumel, nice ship was just refurbished last year.

Last time we were 12 including a 9 and 13 year old. There were over 1500 kids on our last voyage and they were all well behaved and had a great time!

We had no problem taking a small case of water on board if you feel you want it. There are plenty of places to get water onboard. If they are big soda drinkers, get one soda package, they can share.... If not, water, ice tea, etc is included.

Enjoy your vacation!

NO!!! Sharing a soda package isn't allowed. You can get caught and will be charged for the extra drinks and have the package removed for the rest of the cruise. Please don't encourage stealing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All the shows were kid friendly. The Saturday Night Fever show has an adult theme (boy trying to get girl), but it was very tame and our two really enjoyed the show. The Quest was a bit risque and battle of the sexes had its moments, but again, nothing major.

q

Please don't recommend sharing drink packages. It is totally against the rules and if caught your package will be canceled without refund. Staff does check - and will report you. Also, not a good idea to encourage kids to steal. Plenty of free options and if you have to have soda just buy individually or a package.

Would not agree that all shows are "family friendly" - definitely can depend on passenger mix, and I believe Quest is recommended for adults only.

Thank you for the feedback! We allow the kids about one-two soft drinks a day on special occasion so we will just purchase their individual drinks. Hubby and I already purchased the grown up drink packages. Thank you for your concern. Please keep the suggestions coming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jbonvi137

What type of room are you staying in? will help with a few more suggestions about using the space.

Our last cruise was with a 4 and 8 year old and we will have a 6 and 10 yo cruising in April.

My sanity is measured by my ability to keep our room organized and everyone getting in/out/dressed without yelling or loosing things. I also like to sit alone with the compass at night and try to map out our day when everyone is asleep!

- I always pack myself a small robe / beach cover up

- the large size lined post in notes and pens

- magnetic clips for the wall

- and large chip clips and closed pins

- a battery operated candle for the bathroom night light

- something to keep toiletries organized

My kids were given an 'allowance' for ship spending - could have been used on arcade, fun bar drinks, souvenirs, etc - they ended up using most of it to enjoy 'Late Night' at Adventure Ocean. But - the concept was a good model for us so that I wasn't constantly being asked for things.

Lastly - I'm pretty sure that there are some warnings about the arcades and sea pass charging - that your kids could rack up tons of money without your permission - worth looking into and setting ground rules!

Edited by Cel_cruise

I would caution against taking non-RC excursions for your first time. They won't wait for you if you're late!

We actually had two connected interior rooms for our family of 4, but we had plenty of closet space in each room, unpacking your cases really helps, as does using all of your drawer space. And of course be mindful of exactly how much stuff you are bringing with you!

I would have never thought of some of that. Great idea! We are in a basic interior room on the 9th deck. I am worried about the space...

Pack half of what you think you need.

Luggage can typically be stored under the bed

The 3rd/4th beds will be stowed away when the cabin is not setup for sleeping.

Most importantly you'll likely spend most of your time out of the cabin. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback! We allow the kids about one-two soft drinks a day on special occasion so we will just purchase their individual drinks. Hubby and I already purchased the grown up drink packages. Thank you for your concern. Please keep the suggestions coming!!!

Just so you know, sounds so basic, but a lot of people, especially with kids, don't know, drinks included in your cruise for all ages are:

Coffee (not specialty), tea, iced tea, tap water, juice (not fresh squeezed OJ), white and chocolate milk, hot chocolate, lemonade/punch and flavored waters.

Main buffet is called the Windjammer and you will find milk and juice available in morning for breakfast, however, they may not be "out" other times, but they are available, just ask a staff member for a carton of milk. Also in the main dining room, staff will bring milk, juice, etc.

Iced water is available at any bar or food location.

Traveled with kids and stayed in an interior room - it's tight but doable!

Notice you have two boys - it can work for dad to take them to the gym to shower and clean up and leave bathroom to mom, especially on formal night, or if you are in a hurry!

Hopefully you have two Pullman beds rather than a sleeper sofa. Pullman beds come down from the wall and are like bunks, and leave more space than a sleeper sofa.

Yeah, we don't plan on being in the room much but know it will be tight! Love the idea of shipping the kids and hubby off to have the bathroom to myself ;-) we are driving in to Galveston or one of the cities on the way the night before. We are still trying to figure out what the best option is for hotel/parking.

Interesting. Perhaps RCI has rethought this, but several years ago, it was definitely enforced that you pay for juice after breakfast time. Ii think I'll ask on my next cruise. I don't want to give anyone false information.

Edited by 39august