WORLD CRUISE - 2nd segment

forgap

The internet is not cooperating this morning so no pictures for now. Today is a sea day so I suspect our bandwidth is smoking with overuse! I have some lovely photos from Hawaii, so, keep your fingers crossed!

Hilo, Hawaii. - Monday, 1/30/17

After an unexpected sea day, we were eager to get off the ship and get some exercise. We signed up for the Kilauea Volcano Hiking Adventure. This was advertised with a fitness level of three little men meaning it was for the fairly fit. We all agreed it should be advertised with five little men as it was not a hike for the faint hearted.

Twelve of us piled into a van with Jason who served as our guide and leader. He was a laid back young man who was raised in Hawaii and had a love a science, Hawaiian folklore, and the the diverse flora and fauna of the big island.

After leaving the pier, we begin a 60 minute drive south into Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The terrain and natural diversity here are so extraordinary that UNESCO deemed the park both a World Biosphere site and a World Heritage site. The primary volcano within the 330,000-acre park is Kilauea, which has been steadily erupting since 1983.

We started at the active crater and the Jaggar Museum of volcanology. We then drove on to the Nahuku (Thurston) Lava Tube, a lava cave created 500 years ago when molten lava inside drained out. This was about a half mile walk which was our warmup for the more rigorous 4 mile hike across Kaluea Iki. We descended to the crater floor through a beautiful temperate rain forrest. This part of Hawaii gets abundant rain, but we were fortunate to have clear skies and mild temperatures. I can’t imagine the path in rain, as when we got to the floor of the crater, footing became precarious and all of us were imagining our fates if we happened to fall and get injured. The walk across the stark crater floor was about 3 miles and then a hike, up and up and up to the car park. At one point, I asked Jason how much longer and he replied like a good guide “Oh, just a couple more switch backs”. Fifteen switchbacks later we reached the van. A welcome site and a wake up call for my fitness plan!

Tuesday, 1/31/17 - At sea

This is the first of 5 sea days as we sail to the South Pacific islands. The weather is cloudy and we are in pretty rough seas. Everyone seems to be doing OK, however, and our 10am lecture on Captain Cook was well attended. We picked up a new lecturer and she is really very good - in marked contrast to our last Smithsonian lecturer!

Last night we celebrated a birthday in Prime 7 with a beautiful Chassangne Montrachet and a Pegasus Pinot Noir. Prime 7 has a seafood platter as an entree that we got as a table starter. Lobster, crab, shrimp and scallops on ice. We then shared a porterhouse steak with sauce Béarnaise while our friends got the surf and turf and the daily fish special of marlin.

Last night was also a state by state meet and greet which was a lot of fun. We had about 6 couples from Georgia (which included a couple from Tallahassee who identified more with Georgia than Florida!). It's always special to discover who we know in common and how our paths have crossed.

We are now enroute to Nuku Hiva in French Polynesia. The weather is more humid with occasional tropical downpours. The seas are calmer but we are still rocking and rolling which makes walking interesting. It's always funny to see people flop into the chairs at the bar....all due to the seas, not the drink!

Hi Jennifer & Georges from the Voyager as we sail to Australia from NZ. Was hoping to see your Hawaii pix but they won't download here or on your Facebook page. As you point out the free internet is exceptionally problematic for us on the Voyager too. We can generally only post photos in early a.m. (5:30am to 6:30am--when most guests are asleep). Enjoy French Polynesia!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention an interesting tidbit from Maui. If you go below the water at the shoreline, you can hear the whales and dolphins sing. They also seem to like the music of Elvis and AC/DC and will come closer seeking it out!

Really love your photos. Wish that you could share how you post these photos since Wes' photos are so large that we cannot see most of them (so I can't follow that thread until Cruise Critic's "new format" returns). OTOH, your photographs come through perfectly.

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm posting photos through Tapatalk, medium format. Depending on how many people are online, it uploads at reasonable speeds. There are times, however, that I can't upload at all. The internet is dependant on our position to the satellite and use of bandwidth, i think.

I'm posting photos through Tapatalk, medium format. Depending on how many people are online, it uploads at reasonable speeds. There are times, however, that I can't upload at all. The internet is dependant on our position to the satellite and use of bandwidth, i think.

Thanks for the explanation. Hope that Wes reads it. Yes - the internet is dependent upon your position to the satellite, etc. We did notice (and were told by the computer "guru" onboard the Explorer) that the number of people online makes a huge difference which is why I go online at times when people are ashore (or asleep).:)

I forgot to mention an interesting tidbit from Maui. If you go below the water at the shoreline, you can hear the whales and dolphins sing. They also seem to like the music of Elvis and AC/DC and will come closer seeking it out!

Forgap, we spent a short time in Maui when our son was fairly small and we both went snorkelling. As soon as we started, we both heard the sound of whales and dolphins and were so surprised by this we both came up spluttering with excitement. Neither of us has ever forgotten that sound...really rather more special than seeing the occasional spout of water here and there (though seeing a humpback at close quarters probably wins the prize!)

Regarding the posting of photographs, I'm wondering if you are using a lower resolution than Wes, resulting in speedier uploads? I don't use tapatalk, so don't know what "medium" means, but perhaps camera settings are another factor here?

Thank you for taking us across the Pacific with you. I'm really enjoying the journey!

TC!

I'm not sure what the problem might be with the pics you are viewing from Wes. I am following his thread on my IPAD and sometimes on my MacBook and the pics are sized exactly like mine. He also is using Tapatalk so perhaps the problem is with your device. I'm no expert and the pics I'm posting are from my canon DSLR, so fairly high resolution photos. Perhaps a computer savant can weigh in!

Last night we celebrated a birthday in Prime 7 with a beautiful Chassangne Montrachet and a Pegasus Pinot Noir. Prime 7 has a seafood platter as an entree that we got as a table starter. Lobster, crab, shrimp and scallops on ice. We then shared a porterhouse steak with sauce Béarnaise while our friends got the surf and turf and the daily fish special of marlin.

Wow!, a starter of lobster, crab, shrimp and scallops on ice, is that on the menu? And thanks for your post, enjoying every post.

Rick

TC!

I'm not sure what the problem might be with the pics you are viewing from Wes. I am following his thread on my IPAD and sometimes on my MacBook and the pics are sized exactly like mine. He also is using Tapatalk so perhaps the problem is with your device. I'm no expert and the pics I'm posting are from my canon DSLR, so fairly high resolution photos. Perhaps a computer savant can weigh in!

I can see the photos just fine on my tablet (I have three Kindles and they all seem to size the photos perfectly with the new format - will check old format today). On my desktop (Dell - about a year old), I'm only having difficulty with Wes' photos. I went to a couple of other threads where photos are posted and there was no issue. In any case, when the new format shows up on my desktop (hopefully soon) the problem should disappear.

Looing forward to more reports and photos.

P.S. Just went to Wes' thread to check it out again. "Bodogbodog" posted a photo and it also looks fine. Guess I'll have to wait for the return of the new format in order to see the pictures. Not a big deal in the long run as we have been to almost all of the ports that the Voyager is visiting.

Edited by Travelcat2

We continue to sail south towards the Tahitian Islands, crossing the equator sometime today. Regent is doing well to offer us alternative dining options this cruise. We have the usual options of Compass Rose, Sette Mare, and Prime 7. In addition, La Veranda has turned into a luau buffet for three nights and last night the pool deck turned into a reservation only venue with a Hawaiian dinner menu. I had poke and grilled mahi mahi. We had tropical squalls all day, but the skies cleared at dinner with a beautiful crescent moon and Venus shining brightly below it.

The Poke appetizer:

704314afd67a341908406e92fcb5ca60.jpg

This cruise also has a decidedly older crowd than other cruises we have been on. I'm not sure if it is because it is a world cruise and a psychological last gasp, or what. Many walkers and canes but I always admire the grit that people have as their bodies start to fail them. After all, they could always sit home and watch TV. Instead, they are living it up on a long cruise to see the world! We have one gentleman on board who is 102 and traveling alone. My hero!

The infamous Versace chargers!5df03cc801a9b899ab28315611f77091.jpg

Not sure if you noticed from photos, but the Versace china on the Navigator is different than on the Explorer. No big deal but interesting nevertheless.

Good to hear that the meals on the WC are changing - depending upon where in the world you are sailing. The poke appetizer looks especially good.

In addition, La Veranda has turned into a luau buffet for three nights and last night the pool deck turned into a reservation only venue with a Hawaiian dinner menu. I had poke and grilled mahi mahi. We had tropical squalls all day, but the skies cleared at dinner with a beautiful crescent moon and Venus shining brightly below it.

Neat turning the pool deck into a reservation only venue-great idea to mix it up a bit. I know when we cruise after a while you get tried of eating out in the same place all the time.

Rick

We had a lazy sea day yesterday, doing not much more than eat, doze, drink, repeat. We did attend the lecture on the colonization of Tahiti. Diana Preston, our Smithsonian lecturer since Hawaii, has been much more interesting than our last lecturer. She is well prepared, has interesting visuals, and an easy speaking style.

We also had our ceremony for crossing the equator and we are all transformed from Pollywogs to shellbacks and we have certificates to prove it!

5b420b5bd1e08cc175a0e109c08c8cf6.jpg

In the early evening we had our Seven Seas Society cocktail party. This includes everyone as this is such a long voyage. Many passengers are in the upper, upper levels and were recognized by the officers. It was a bit of a ho hum event so we decamped to meet friends in the Galileo Lounge and then went on to dinner for delicious Miso Glazed Sea Bass.