WORLD CRUISE - 2nd segment

forgap

We had our last sea day yesterday and this morning Nuku Hiva (French Polynesia) is in our sights. It was windy and rough yesterday and I resorted to the patch once again. I've found that 1/4 dose is just about right. I've never been bothered as much with sea sickness as on this voyage. I think the Navigator is just not as stable in the ocean as the other ships. It sometimes feels as if the ship is rocking in a circle! But, it gives me a taste of what the early explorers went through - not for the faint hearted!

We ordered room service and watched a movie last night. The cabins are perfect for this and you can order off of any menu for room service - a great alternative when you are just not up for a long meal!

We had our last sea day yesterday and this morning Nuku Hiva (French Polynesia) is in our sights. It was windy and rough yesterday and I resorted to the patch once again. I've found that 1/4 dose is just about right. I've never been bothered as much with sea sickness as on this voyage. I think the Navigator is just not as stable in the ocean as the other ships. It sometimes feels as if the ship is rocking in a circle! But, it gives me a taste of what the early explorers went through - not for the faint hearted!

We ordered room service and watched a movie last night. The cabins are perfect for this and you can order off of any menu for room service - a great alternative when you are just not up for a long meal!

I emphasise with you. We had windy conditions for much of the West Africa cruise last autumn. Whilst Navigator looks good following her refit and has first class staff giving excellent service she is not good in anything other than calm conditions. Her poor sea handling, uncomfortable vibrations aft of mid ships and rattling of fittings in the staterooms she is certainly not a ship fit for a luxury cruise line. Whilst we would sail with Regent again we would not entertain another day on the Navigator.

We had a lovely day in Nuku Hiva, although acclimating to the hear and humidity is a process! We anchored in Taiohae Bay and took the tender to the town where we were greeted by tattooed men blowing conch shells, women singing, drumming, and flowers.

d7427ef15a8c88bd290142c8420bcfd3.jpg

a3415977651ecd5cbe35f6ef664a9833.jpg

We walked and shopped for a few hours before returning to the ship to cool off. We then had a tour of the Taipivai Valley which took us across the island in a caravan of trucks. Many scenic views and a good introduction to the simple life in the Marquesas Islands.

166b1dedc909aad5dbb054a26789d0e9.jpg

The chef had gone ashore early and purchased lovely bonito tuna which we had for dinner in Compass Rose. We have a tailgate party scheduled for today in the theater where they re streaming the Super Bowl. We have lived in Atlanta for over 30 years, but my family is from Boston. What a dilemma!

Sunset as we left Nuku Hiva.

58bc603cd8f7eaa7dc094d10aed934fa.jpg

Your photos of Taiohae Bay reminded me so much of Fiji (our favorite destination on earth). Thank you for posting!

Hearing about how poorly the Navigator is currently handling the seas convinces me not to sail on her in the future. In all of our Radisson/Regent cruises, the only time my DH was seasick was on the Navigator (San Francisco to Vancouver). We recently did a crossing on the Explorer in rough seas. We were on deck 12 forward so we really felt the movement but nothing we have experienced to date is as bad as the Navigator.

We have arrived this morning to Rangiroa, French Polynesia. We will snorkel this afternoon after exploring the town this morning.

Yesterday was a sea day and it was also Sunday on Regent. This means champagne and caviar for breakfast!

32c0c3e98f750cae987c34b7fdcc5a93.jpg

What a civilized way to starry the day!

It was also the super bowl and Regent did not disappoint. They set up a tailgate party in the bar outside the theater and streamed the game on the big screen in the theater. The house was packed with sports fans!

We were also determined to take in the show. I'm ashamed to say we are seldom awake or, if we are awake, we are reading in bed. The show consisted of music and dance from around the world and I found it pretty lame. I think I would have left if we were sitting in a less conspicuous place.

The internet on Navigator, while slow, has been faster than the internet on Voyager. When we were on her in May, I couldn't upload photos no matter what time of day. I also think that Regent is counting on passengers bringing their own devices as the computer area looks like an afterthought and is squeezed into the coffee connection. Only 4 desktops and a little desk for the internet manager.

e1960cb1d8a361cf092183da89636b76.jpg

Day 2

We are definitely in rough seas. Everyone who is not in bed is staggering in the hallways. I took a Bonnie and put on a patch last night and slept for 12 hours. Once I took the patch off this morning, I began to feel like was in the land of the living!

Dinner last night was very good. The menu is extensive so you would have to be one picky eater not to find something that tempts you. The ship really started to rock once we started out to sea. Since we had a later than expected sail-away, most passengers were already eating. One larger than expected wave caused a monumental crash in Compas Rose everyone in the pace clapped). Our waiter said that the charger plates were stacked up and that was the crash we heard. Given that they are Versace chargers, it must have been one expensive mishap! After the crash, the sommeliers were busy proactively taking the ice buckets filled with bottles of wine off of their pedestals and placing them on the floor.

We skipped the entertainment last night which was the movie, Florence Foster -Jenkins. Today I ate cookies for breakfast an then went to the lecture by Kalewa Correa on Hawaii's environment. It was part of the Smithsonian series and very interesting. 98ab7be92b0248708695b192fbcdc3a1.jpg

Th captain just made an announcement that the swells re 15-18 feet with strong winds. This is the view from our balcony.

I hope the sea is much calmer now. What category suite are you in and on which deck? We have a hold on a deck 9 penthouse suite on the Navigator and I'm concerned about how much motion there will be with bad weather. Last month we took a cruise (not with Regent) and we were all the way forward on the top deck (16th). The last couple of days were a bit rough and though I didn't really get sea sick, I ended up with land sickness for two weeks once we disembarked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Navigator was built as a Russian "weather" (aka "spy") ship, not for luxury cruises. No amount of smart refits can alter the fact that she has some fundamental design/handling flaws, especially in rough seas. If you're prone to mal de mer I wouldn't even think about it.

Thanks Jennifer and Georges for taking the time to share your experiences and post. We can understand well that the Navigator internet speed is faster than the molasses speed we are now experiencing on the Voyager--most likely because of the extra few hundred devices logged on (more pax on board Voyager) at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, Wes, fewer passengers really make a difference.

Imasima, As far as the suites go, we are in concierge, mid ship, on level 7. We feel the motion but not as much as you would forward or aft. Our friends are on deck 10 in a penthouse A suite. They feel more motion than we do. As far as choosing a cabin, most are exactly the same so I don't feel like paying more for inconsequential perks is exactly worth it. In our suite we get binoculars (which we have anyway), an expresso machine which we don't use, and a different color scheme. Our friends get a butler and afternoon snacks. Same size room, same size deck. Some suites do not have balconies and some suites in the back are smaller with obstructed balconies, so it is important to check the deck plans before booking a cabin.

Yes, Wes, fewer passengers really make a difference.

Imasima, As far as the suites go, we are in concierge, mid ship, on level 7. We feel the motion but not as much as you would forward or aft. Our friends are on deck 10 in a penthouse A suite. They feel more motion than we do. As far as choosing a cabin, most are exactly the same so I don't feel like paying more for inconsequential perks is exactly worth it. In our suite we get binoculars (which we have anyway), an expresso machine which we don't use, and a different color scheme. Our friends get a butler and afternoon snacks. Same size room, same size deck. Some suites do not have balconies and some suites in the back are smaller with obstructed balconies, so it is important to check the deck plans before booking a cabin.

Thank you for the info and tip Forgap. I was going for the Concierge but was out voted by DH and my mom. Mom's not going with us but offered to pay for the additional cost of the Penthouse, so Penthouse it is. I will be sure to bring Bonine and sea bands, etc. and pray for smooth seas. I hope you had fun snorkeling today!

Thank you for the info and tip Forgap. I was going for the Concierge but was out voted by DH and my mom. Mom's not going with us but offered to pay for the additional cost of the Penthouse, so Penthouse it is. I will be sure to bring Bonine and sea bands, etc. and pray for smooth seas. I hope you had fun snorkeling today!

In a way I'm sorry that the PH suite won. On the Navigator (only), the PH suites are exactly the same as the Concierge suites except for the butler. Everything is identical. And, while we usually book PH suites, IMO, it is not worth the extra cost on the Navigator. I would rather spend the $$$ for Regent Choice excursions. Depending upon the itinerary, some of those pricey excursions are worth every penny (more than having a butler, in my opinion).

In any case, enjoy your cruise.

It sounds like the folks on this world cruise have had their share of rough seas.

I understand that Navigator doesn't handle those seas as well as her sister ships.

I wonder if regent would consider using a different ship for the 2018 and 2019 World Cruise.

Why have a ship with sick passengers and crew crossing many oceans.

Rangorea, French Polynesia - a coral atoll in the shape of an oval. Land is on the ring with a lagoon in the center. We went snorkeling which is the bulk of the economy here - that and Tahitian pearls. While we were waiting for the snorkel boat, we went to a bar in a hut jutting over the water. Brilliant fish were down below, including two 3' stingrays, a moray eel, and a black tipped shark. Water was light blue and transparent.

This was our greeting party as we got off the tender.

f9606fd507dee7f774b466eb87d95d01.jpg

In a way I'm sorry that the PH suite won. On the Navigator (only), the PH suites are exactly the same as the Concierge suites except for the butler. Everything is identical. And, while we usually book PH suites, IMO, it is not worth the extra cost on the Navigator. I would rather spend the $$$ for Regent Choice excursions. Depending upon the itinerary, some of those pricey excursions are worth every penny (more than having a butler, in my opinion).

In any case, enjoy your cruise.

That makes two of us, though I would have preferred to use the money for a few massages and a facial :). Thank you, I'm hoping we will enjoy it too - we'll be checking off some bucket list items.

Rangorea, French Polynesia - a coral atoll in the shape of an oval. Land is on the ring with a lagoon in the center. We went snorkeling which is the bulk of the economy here - that and Tahitian pearls. While we were waiting for the snorkel boat, we went to a bar in a hut jutting over the water. Brilliant fish were down below, including two 3' stingrays, a moray eel, and a black tipped shark. Water was light blue and transparent.

This was our greeting party as we got off the tender.

f9606fd507dee7f774b466eb87d95d01.jpg

Once again, I am enjoying your photos. Unfortunately, I have to avoid another thread as the photos there are first, too personal (more like a album for friends and family) and secondly, the old CC format does not show the photos in a way that I can see the whole photo. Whatever you are doing, please keep doing it.

We would have loved to see the stingrays, moray eel and black tipped shark. What an amazing experience.

Assume that you are aware that CC has debuted their new format (love it but it takes time to get used to it).

I am at a loss to understand why people decide to get Concierge and Penthouse suites on Navigator or Voyager. Explorer's at least has a much larger verandah, but even there the Superior Suite is otherwise identical, as are the Verandah Suites on the other two ships.

Depending on the embarkation ports, the fare difference between a standard suite and a concierge suite might be close enough to justify the additional cost if you're planning on doing a pre-cruise night. For us, the difference in an F2 and an E was small enough that we took the concierge E for the included night and transfers.

It's usually still more expensive to let Regent book it all, but for some it's worth the added convenience.

We have been in French Polynesia for the last few days and totally immersed in (and exhausted by) activities and excursions! To whet your appetite, this is the view from our balcony in Papeete, Tahiti!

Well, no pics now. This is a sea day after 4 land days so everyone is on line. I'll have to wait til nap time and hope that everyone logs off of their devices!

More to come....