WORLD CRUISE - 2nd segment

forgap

The mud baths were an experience we will never forget! We had two bus loads going - about 40 people. It took about 45 minutes to get there on mostly paved roads until we tuned off onto a gravel road to reach the pools. The Fijian countryside is lush with considerably more infrastructure and business than we saw in other South Pacific islands.

Our guide told us that the original inhabitants of Fiji came from Tanzania and the people have more distinctive African features than we have seen previously on this voyage.

ba6b02cb5bd3473021d08af2d6351c32.jpg

161dc1a730235ccd2ff09265938c91bd.jpg

We participated in a welcoming ceremony and then off we went to the baths. Step one-slather yourself and your partner with mud. Step two - let the mud dry. Step three-wash some of the mud off in a muddy pool with mud up to your knees. Step four-enter another thermal pool to get whatever is left off of you. Step five- enter the open air hall to get a massage.

d545e96845f3ec5af8ba38ed2aa86bef.jpg

We then had a closing ceremony with singing and clapping and we were on our way home.

The Valentine's Day sunset was extraordinary as we dressed for dinner. The lounge and restaurant lights were changed from blue to pink and the women received a rose as we arrived for dinner.

5bb5f33a7868ad13dfb2a0facd6feef4.jpg

We participated in a welcoming ceremony and then off we went to the baths. Step one-slather yourself and your partner with mud. Step two - let the mud dry. Step three-wash some of the mud off in a muddy pool with mud up to your knees. Step four-enter another thermal pool to get whatever is left off of you. Step five- enter the open air hall to get a massage.

d545e96845f3ec5af8ba38ed2aa86bef.jpg

We then had a closing ceremony with singing and clapping and we were on our way home.

So glad you had a fun time at the mud baths. Your skin will show major improvements for a couple of weeks!!

Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!!!

My question is did this ruin your Swimsuit? When I Have done something like this in a spa, it is sans clothing. It looks like it would stain fabric.

Rachel,

I wore my older swimsuit in the mud baths and at the end of the World Cruise, put it in the trash when I left. It was long cherished but time to go!!

We are on the second segment of the World Cruise on Navigator - San Diego to Aukland. If the internet cooperates, I hope to post on our impressions of the refurbished Navigator. This is our second voyage on Navigator with 4 previous cruises on the Voyager.

We arrived in San Diego yesterday and we are now ensconced in our pre-cruise hotel the US Grant. This is a lovely vintage hotel in the heart of San Diego. I was very impressed to see Itzak Perlman (virtuoso violinist) checking in! I gushed like a groupie, and, thankfully, he was very gracious.

Weather today was horrid - high winds and horizontal rain. I hope it Improves tomorrow for our sail-away. Please feel free to ask questions as we sail along!Foregap I was wondering if you could give your opinion on the vibration on the ship.

Also, i am wondering if the ship is too small (i.e. not enough to do) for a world cruise.

Thank you for your time and comments

Forgap,I was wondering if you could comment on the ships vibration during dinner and the shows.

Is it really as bad as folks are saying?

Also I was wondering if there will be enough activities to keep me amused on a world cruise on the sea days.

Forgap,I was wondering if you could comment on the ships vibration during dinner and the shows.

Is it really as bad as folks are saying?

Also I was wondering if there will be enough activities to keep me amused on a world cruise on the sea days.

There is vibration on the ship but it never disturbs me during dinner or during the shows. As far as entertainment, Regent keeps bringing on new entertainers so nothing gets stale. There are always activities going on...none in which I especially want to participate, but the other passengers seem amused. I like to read and listen to interesting lectures, so that has soaked up the sea days for me.

We have had one Smithsonian lecturer, Diana Preston, that I really like. She is a consummate story teller, rather than a lecturer. Her last lecture was on the sinking of the Lusitania, which was a brave choice considering we were in rough seas again! Just as she was describing the first torpedo hit, a wave crashed into the starboard side! Everyone laughed a bit nervously!

Jacquart...NO!!!! For some reason that one always seems to taste like it's "turning" even when it's the first glass from the bottle.

Davor has saved the day! He stopped me in the hall to say that he could not understand why I was told that there was no more Montadon as 125 were still on board - and he sent one to the suite for us to enjoy! Now THAT is what keeps us coming back to Regent!

Rachel,

I wore my older swimsuit in the mud baths and at the end of the World Cruise, put it in the trash when I left. It was long cherished but time to go!!

My swimsuit seems to have survived the mud baths. I shoved it into the washing machine as soon as I got back. I may have to chuck it anyway as I am rapidly becoming a piglet and nothing seems to fit like it did at the start of the trip!

What a star! (love him)

Indeed! I'm afraid my pic is posted below deck as Emiliano (head Somalier) sought me out at lunch to say that they, indeed have Grey Goose and also Montadon champagne on board. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa for the misinformation that we were given!

I will post later on Suva, Fiji. Today is a sea day and we are whirling a bit but my 1/4 scopolamine patch is working. Lunch was a buffet in the galley and Regent pulled out all the stops. It was a different venue and wonderful with a culinary tour around the world.

This morning, our Smithsonian lecturer, Diana Preston, moved from sea disasters to marriage disasters with the stories of four philandering British kings from the 15th to 19th Centuries. It was a great lecture and her money is on Harry to carry on the tradition!

davor has saved the day! He stopped me in the hall to say that he could not understand why i was told that there was no more montadon as 125 were still on board - and he sent one to the suite for us to enjoy! Now that is what keeps us coming back to regent!

yes!!!!! 🍾 👍 🍾 👍 🍾 👍 🍾 👍 🍾 👍 🍾 👍 🍾

Ah, we are into our second sea day and I am only now posting on our second port in Fiji, Suva. Yes, I am soaking up our last few days on board and still resentful that we lost a WHOLE DAY due to that damned international date line!

We had an hour to kill before our 6 hour excursion to the Suava river so we walked to the municipal market which was just outside the port area. Along the way we got a good dose of Fijian culture as locals tried to entice us to purchase a tour, or jewelry or clothing. The custom is to offer a handshake and the greeting "Bula" (pronounced boo-lah) which loosely means hello, goodbye, love, or to your health - and it is impossible not to smile as you say it!

The markets always fascinate me and they were selling the things that Fijians love to eat - pineapple and taro,

a42c4f00ce9dbc3fcb40c5ac67d8a16b.jpg

eggplant, and peppers of all shapes and sizes.

3ba909bc25bc4163bc92fcb9e836c6d9.jpgca489c0fa1a6200841441c0de34f0161.jpg

They were also selling reeds wound up like a wheel for making or repairing mats that serve as carpets in their homes.

ec60e0534e4c2524646cb12b5131f6f1.jpg

Next up, our excursion on a longboat!

Uh oh! Our excursion was to the Nuava (not Suava) River! Whatever the name, it was fabulous. We traveled by bus through the Fijian countryside to the river. The weather was now overcast and it started to rain as we were being given life jackets, ponchos and garbage bags to stow our gear. The river was high and muddy due to recent torrential rains and we were warned that we might have to walk around some rapids that were too dangerous for the long boats to navigate with passengers on board. We gingerly stepped into the long boats, six passengers to a boat, and started our 45 minute cruise. As luck would have it, the showers were brief and the sun came out as we navigated through farmland until we entered a deep cavern with lush vegetation, lava, and waterfalls all around us.

247343f5f585cac53a3621dc1dc31836.jpg

On rounding a bend, we encountered the rapids but our driver decided to gun the motor and go for it. We got soaked and at one point the motor was at full speed and we made no progress against the flow of water.

7ceeb3cd1543465dc1a93df7c7a676b6.jpg

The point of the excursion was to swim beneath a waterfall. We climbed onto the riverbank and followed the path to the most exquisite site. The rushing water fell about 5 stories into a crystal clear pool.

c52620d0b67eced621767cfc3a3fa332.jpg

After a bit of a swim, we hiked down to the boat for the trip back on the river for a welcome and lunch in an authentic Fijian village. More of that in my next posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Fijian Village was on the riverbank and we were greeted by men drumming , bare chested, wearing raffia skirts.

a9333788fa6512e73195e7d3918cb5e6.jpg

We were led to the community house for a kava ceremony. Two men were appointed our leaders and they would be the first to drink the kava. It was a very serious event and this ceremony welcomes us and, more importantly, makes us honorary members of the clan.

5c7d5daeaee0de57d75a87493d60da4f.jpg

When the ceremony was complete, the men performed a traditional dance (aggressive movement as opposed to the jubilent sensual dancing of Polynesia - but, after all, Fijian were cannibales!) and then the women performed.

bf6b349edcea32d97b0b3d944c744284.jpg

We then had lunch. One line consisted of Subway style sandwiches and the other line was traditional Fijian cuisine. We chose Fiji but I did notice that Subway had the longer line! The food was interesting...chicken cooked in an underground pit, curried pumpkin, rice, white and purple taro, and, the star of the show, sautéed taro leaves in coconut cream. By the way, after the ceremony, we could try the kava. It had an earthy, medicinal taste, somewhat bitter, and, it left your mouth somewhat numb, reminiscent of the ma la effect in Sichuan cuisine.

We then returned to the ship in a torrential storm.

9d4c3458dfda1cdcbefcff7683162d33.jpg

Love the photos - particularly the one of the kava ceremony. Kudos for trying the kava - we always do to show respect for their culture (even though it is likely not the most sanitary thing to do). We also would have gone for the Fijian food. Hope that you felt the warmth from the people of Fiji - they are amazing!

Sad to say that we just arrived in Aukland and I am 3 days behind on this narrative. We will leave the ship in about an hour and start the land portion of our New Zealand tour. We had two sea days after Fiji in which we decided to organize our things and pack a bit. We had a wonderful international lunch where a buffet was set up in the galley. Regent really pulled out all the stops - the best part being cherries jubilee! There was considerable culinary talent on display as well as artistic talent in the wonderful decorations.4f192448f8d7e57402e8fbe2c4abf482.jpg

We always know that the cruise is coming to an end when we read the daily passages and it is time for Krew Kapers and the Captains farewell dinner. Krew Kapers was wonderful - probably the best of all our cruises. What can I say about Elvis? He's an icon!

20dde9002faca3a3447921731161c44a.jpg

Sad to see the end of your cruise now. Thanks ever so much for your great posts and photographs. You have taken us along on your cruise. Agree ELvis is a one off. Great show he always puts on and also in his professional role he is spot on.

Safe travels home and thanks for taking the time to keep us involved in your cruise. Jean.

We have been on a whirlwind land portion of our trip but I did want to tell you about our final day. We arrived in the Bay of Islands to perfect weather. Our excursion was kayaking in the Waitangi estuary. We called it the "Pedal, Paddle, Piddle" tour. The problem is the NZ accent and the fact that our kayaks had a rudder that you controlled with a pedal and you propelled yourself with paddles. The problem? Kiwis pronounce pedal as paddle and paddle as pedal and the piddle is self explanatory as we were out for four hours! So, once we got through the language barriers in our orientation, we got underway!

d0f8aa57a69e33700b075678d99c0ee9.jpg

The Waitangi is Maori for sorrowful waters. The story is that a powerful Maori chief had a beautiful daughter that he had promised to a man. Unfortunately, she loved someone else and refused her father's choice. He imprisoned her until her lover found her and they ran away. Her father was furious and sent dolphins to find her (he had control over them). The dolphins opted for love and never returned to the estuary to this day.

The kayaking was great and we continued to some falls that were very robust due to a recent rain.

cd6626e6feb5f7aa8cc8f43318705831.jpg

We then paddled back through the mangroves. Very magical, very tiring, but very special.

This was sail-away on the aft of the ship.

77e963930db4b7d686d7d5250121bc2d.jpg

<We called it the "Pedal, Paddle, Piddle" tour.>

Forgap, I love it! We have dear Kiwi friends and always joke with them about pins, pans and pens but I think your pedal, paddle and piddle is better ;p It's a glorious country and we have so many fond memories of our travels there. I think it could be time to revisit!

(always my problem when reading fun stories and seeing great pictures - I want to go everywhere!!)

So sorry your cruise is at an end. I've really enjoyed your posts but might look forward to an extra one or two post-cruise reports maybe?!