WORLD CRUISE - 2nd segment

forgap

Papeete was a delight. I wasn't functioning at top speed so I skipped our excursion and went shopping instead. Music and dancing was everywhere. We learned how to tie a sarong from a transgender Polynesian, bought beautiful children's clothes from a French expat (braided straps, mother of pearl buttons in the shape of a leaf, batiked fabric in shades of pink - beautiful!) and, of course, black pearls!

The ship did not depart until 10 pm so it was the perfect evening for the deck BBQ. The whole pool area was re-imagined and decorated in a Polynesian style. But, at 6 we had a special show by Otahiti E!- drumming, singing, and extraordinary dancing. They got a well-deserved standing ovation from the packed house.

E! 97ec1b503f1feff2e274f09e5ed7895d.jpg

And, as we were finishing our meal under the stars, we realized we were underway and headed for Bora Bora.

Bora Bora is truly a paradise. We chose to go on two excursions. In the morning, we departed the pier on a snorkel boat. Our captain and his mates - all Polynesian- sang us to our snorkel site. They all had wonderful voices and accompanied the songs on ukuleles. Once at the reef, we all entered the water to swim with the sting rays and sharks. The sting rays had been de-barbed but none of us could figure out how they could keep track of the "neighborhood" rays vs. rays with their stingers still intact. The rays were very friendly, used to being fed, and, once we were over our initial fear since they were literally underfoot and in your face, we petted them and swam with them peacefully. The sharks were black tipped sharks and they allegedly have no interest in humans. We kept our distance, not wanting to encounter a rogue shark who hadn't read the rule book!

This photo is courtesy of Anna in destination services who shared her great GoPro pics.

a378c42b4780d22f7c5f65d7cc82762b.jpg

Our next stop was to the edge of the reef to the coral gardens. Imagine technicolor coral with small fish swimming about - blues, purples, pinks, magenta, chartreuse. This was the most amazing swim.

Finally, our guide calling us in from the reef for our return to the pier!

0a4132869d2796fa4624ad8c2b2b4dc6.jpg

Next up, a catamaran sail around the lagoon!

Before I describe the catamaran sail, this is a picture of the coral gardens in Bora Bora.

a00b0f5c7be025001938670ef1c02f58.jpg

After a quick bite to eat, 13 of us gathered for a catamaran sail around Bora Bora. Our French skipper and his Polynesian first mate, Lily, took us around the lagoon, fed us tropical fruit, and let us snorkel off the back of the boat. The highlight, by far, was when Lily brought us to the front of the catamaran, distributed sarongs, and taught us to dance...first the girls, then the boys. Once we sort of mastered the steps we sailed around our ship anchored in the harbor, music blaring while performing for our shipmates who clustered on the balconies.

Our sail away was magical, accompanied by outrigger canoes. We had the most perfect day.

84e64a4c021a09cc17da14641cb1bcaf.jpgc2e85d6ddbb353ea79567d934962ff36.jpg

Agree about your Bora Bora comments - definitely one of the most picturesque spots in the world. We have been visiting there since around 1982 (mostly by land - once on the Paul Gauguin).

I see that you will be stopping in Fiji soon - that is our favorite place on earth. While the water is not quite as spectacular as Tahiti, the people have been the described as the friendliest anywhere and I agree completely with that description. Hope that you will have the opportunity to visit some islands where people still live in villages with a "chief" (both women and men hold this position). If they have a "kava" ceremony, it is a treat to take part in it.

Loving the photos!

Forgap, I must thank you for your beautiful photographs and wonderful commentary which is tempting me back to that part of the world (even though it is about as far away as we can get.) Reports of the World Cruise elsewhere are written in such a negative tone, I have stopped reading. Please, keep on sharing your enthusiasm and your lovely pictures!

We left Samoa on Saturday and woke up enroute to Fiji on Monday. Yes, we lost Sunday due to the International Date Line but Regent served Champagne and caviar anyway. It was most likely a token of support for the bedraggled passengers as we endured a terribly stormy night on the rollercoaster of the Pacific. It continues to be a rough ride this morning and I fear that this is our fate all day! At any rate, caviar and champagne didn’t look too appetizing and I opted for fruit, toast, and tea.

We passed on all the excursions offered in Samoa as they looked a bit lame. We walked into town, bought a few things, talked to some people who were very charming and then opted to take a taxi to Tisa’s Beachfront Bar on the other side of the island. We piled into the taxi, John, our Samoan driver, cranked up the reggae music, and we bounced and sang the six miles to Tisa’s.

Tisa’s bar did not disappoint. It is a classic Tiki beach shack owned by and ex-pat Kiwi, “Candyman” and his Samoan wife, Tisa.

They go out a couple of times a week to fish and the fresh catch is served on banana leaves and you eat with your fingers. Candyman also makes the BEST Pina colada’s with the ripest pineapple from their land and coconut cream made by hand. We started with shrimp in a garlic, coconut, wine butter sauce with fried bananas on the side to dip into the sauce. We then got the fresh catch of yellowfin tuna tetaki. We swooned!

a21473a4dabd0b89eb3fb045eb13317a.jpg

The beach has some good snorkeling but it was low tide and a torrential rain the night before made the water cloudy.

667aab8e7b35e09b66d3b6252d7313b5.jpg

John was waiting for us for the ride back, cranked up the music again, and we were back on board with plenty of time to spare before our 4pm sail away.

Forgap, I must thank you for your beautiful photographs and wonderful commentary which is tempting me back to that part of the world (even though it is about as far away as we can get.) Reports of the World Cruise elsewhere are written in such a negative tone, I have stopped reading. Please, keep on sharing your enthusiasm and your lovely pictures!

I think I know the blog to which you are referring! It always surprises me when people don't expect heat in hot climates and expect Regent to make a 3rd world Island into a 5 star resort! I always approach travel with the attitude that discomfort and touring failures just add texture and color to the story telling once home!

I always approach travel with the attitude that discomfort and touring failures just add texture and color to the story telling once home!

We are of one mind in that respect! Sorry to read of ongoing choppy waters. After all of that, it sounds like a fun packed day was just what you needed. Hope there are calmer waters ahead for you all!

We left Samoa on Saturday and woke up enroute to Fiji on Monday. Yes, we lost Sunday due to the International Date Line but Regent served Champagne and caviar anyway. It was most likely a token of support for the bedraggled passengers as we endured a terribly stormy night on the rollercoaster of the Pacific. It continues to be a rough ride this morning and I fear that this is our fate all day! At any rate, caviar and champagne didn’t look too appetizing and I opted for fruit, toast, and tea.

We passed on all the excursions offered in Samoa as they looked a bit lame. We walked into town, bought a few things, talked to some people who were very charming and then opted to take a taxi to Tisa’s Beachfront Bar on the other side of the island. We piled into the taxi, John, our Samoan driver, cranked up the reggae music, and we bounced and sang the six miles to Tisa’s.

Tisa’s bar did not disappoint. It is a classic Tiki beach shack owned by and ex-pat Kiwi, “Candyman” and his Samoan wife, Tisa.

They go out a couple of times a week to fish and the fresh catch is served on banana leaves and you eat with your fingers. Candyman also makes the BEST Pina colada’s with the ripest pineapple from their land and coconut cream made by hand. We started with shrimp in a garlic, coconut, wine butter sauce with fried bananas on the side to dip into the sauce. We then got the fresh catch of yellowfin tuna tetaki. We swooned!

a21473a4dabd0b89eb3fb045eb13317a.jpg

The beach has some good snorkeling but it was low tide and a torrential rain the night before made the water cloudy.

667aab8e7b35e09b66d3b6252d7313b5.jpg

John was waiting for us for the ride back, cranked up the music again, and we were back on board with plenty of time to spare before our 4pm sail away.

That sounds SO fun. WAY better than the Regent put you on a bus drive you around and drop you off at a shopping place excursion!

Happy Valentines Day! We are headed towards Lautoka, Fiji under overcast sky's and calm seas. We are scheduled to arrive at 2pm.

87a910cd7848bd8301fa50d7fae1c17e.jpg

Because of our late arrival and flipping the two Fijian ports, our snorkel excursion was cancelled. But, we are scheduled to take a mud bath and massage cultural immersion. I'll report on that later!

In the meantime, this is the view from our balcony. I think it looks very impressionistic!

7c44663598072355fb1b19c12d38dab5.jpg

But, we are scheduled to take a mud bath and massage cultural immersion. I'll report on that later! [/img]

Hope you enjoy your experience at the mud baths, forgap. Took this excursion from Crystal Serenity last year. It was one of my favorites from the entire World Cruise. It did take me a few days to get rid of the mud in my hair. The massage was quite nice as well.

<a href=1%20mud.jpg' alt='1%20mud.jpg'>

Very fetching, indeed, Beth. Although I recall that you sent me that photo earlier, I am still waiting for you to use it as your profile photo on FB.

Thank you, Fred! I doubt it will be a FB profile pic. It will be stuck here forever now!!

The baths were medicinal for my skin. I highly recommend this excursion.

Oh, can't wait! We just arrived and had the most glorious lunch on our balcony (it's Valentine's Day!). We did down a whole bottle of champagne so we hope the hour long bus ride is a reality!

684916cf892f895734825a3ea407347a.jpg

Montaudon, I presume? 🍾🍾🍾🍾 😉

Jacquart...NO!!!! For some reason that one always seems to taste like it's "turning" even when it's the first glass from the bottle.

Agree with you! Given the location of the ship, I wonder when the champagne and Grey Goose will be replenished. I could probably do without one or the other for a few days but that's about it:D