LIVE - Marina Jan 22-Feb1 - Back to the Future

sldispatcher

Going Home

How often can you go home to a different place? I’m always struck by the simpler things that I suppose can go unnoticed but make up the greater fabric of a vacation tapestry. Walking into the Marina felt like coming home even though it was a new embarkation port for us.

The floors just feel like there was more spent on the padding of the carpet. It is truly comfortable. Attention to upkeep in our cabin shows very little wear and tear, as though someone’s parents have been looking after her all of these years.

The draperies and fabrics are timeless classics. They make you feel like have always been there and were placed with a thought towards making the residents, all be they temporary, calm and relaxed. Even with the rush, the ship seems as quiet and uncrowded as I remembered.

The internet seems a tad faster, but if you are used to the country life and satellite connection speed, you will not be bothered.

So far, the crew is exceptionally kind, chipper, and spot on in spite of the rough day they have had. Much like parents will often go through so much unseen effort when family is coming home for the holidays, so the crew of the Marina have prepped a long day to get things just right to make our “coming home” to the ship.

I promised perspectives from the newbies so here goes:

The experienced suite guest has been duly impressed with the OS. His comment was that it felt like staying in a Four Seasons. So far, the butler has been spot on and was accommodating from the start.

As far as the cruise freshmen, the DW booked up the onboard credit in the spa already! One oxygen ultra facial was done before we even had the muster drill! The DH of the pair immediately used the words “step above” when walking through the public spaces on deck 6 when comparing to the Celebrity Infinity.

In a fine Italian fashion, we began our cruise in Toscana tonight. It became a feast that only a “mamma” would work days to put out before her family. No one else would have gone through so much trouble. I hope to get some pictures up of some of "her" work.

The 30 knot winds outside are causing this to be the equivalent of a ride in a comfortable sleeper railcar. Nothing in the way of deep rolls or pitches. Other than the “light chop”, the methodical roar of the props is the only outstanding noises. The cabin is quite tight in spite of 5 plus years of sailing. Maybe a subtle vibration in some of the paneling at times generates a slight rattle. However, if this is as bad as it gets, there will be no problems.

So we’ve come home and brought some guests to try it as well. The journey to get home is not always easy. A delay here and unexpected bump in the road there. But it doesn’t matter.

We’ve traveled this far to remind us there’s no place like home.

I noticed that no one was wearing their life vest. Is it because you were not yet allowed in the staterooms? Or has Oceania discontinued the mandatory use of life jackets for Muster like many of the other cruiselines?

What does OS stand for?

On Marina and Riviera you aren't "required" to wear the lifejacket to the muster. On our cruises we have had to bring them with us and put them ON during the talk. But we didn't have to go out by the lifeboats and stand and stand and STAND until released by TPTB as you do on the "R" ships.

OS should mean Owner's Suite, which is a nice place to hang out ...

Don't have a guess about possible additional OBC. It might be as compensation for the difficulty of a "sanitized" cruise. I know we didn't get any extra on our Marina cruise in 2015 where Noro became a problem! Then again, we didn't need any more than we already had ...

Mura

Beautiful first official description of your cruise. :)

On Marina and Riviera you aren't "required" to wear the lifejacket to the muster. On our cruises we have had to bring them with us and put them ON during the talk. But we didn't have to go out by the lifeboats and stand and stand and STAND until released by TPTB as you do on the "R" ships.

OS should mean Owner's Suite, which is a nice place to hang out ...

Don't have a guess about possible additional OBC. It might be as compensation for the difficulty of a "sanitized" cruise. I know we didn't get any extra on our Marina cruise in 2015 where Noro became a problem! Then again, we didn't need any more than we already had ...

Mura

Yes, you are correct that we are not required to wear the jackets anymore. But, I did not see ANY life jackets around the room other than where the crew were wearing them.

All cabins ready about 545pm.

Although we were hold up in OS most of the afternoon for the wait, I did not hear major griping this evening.

Confused because the OP said that the staterooms were not ready until 5:45. Yet they waited out the afternoon in their OS?

Yes, you are correct that we are not required to wear the jackets anymore. But, I did not see ANY life jackets around the room other than where the crew were wearing them.

That may be ... that wasn't the case on our most recent Marina cruise (May 2015). We did have to bring them with us (unless there was a good reason why we couldn't -- like we just boarded and didn't have a chance to get to our room) but we DID have to put them on. They asked us to take them off before leaving the muster area so that people didn't trip on the straps, etc.

Things may have changed since our last cruise on Marina.

Mura

The Owners, Vista, and Oceania suites were ready by 230

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:)

That may be ... that wasn't the case on our most recent Marina cruise (May 2015). We did have to bring them with us (unless there was a good reason why we couldn't -- like we just boarded and didn't have a chance to get to our room) but we DID have to put them on. They asked us to take them off before leaving the muster area so that people didn't trip on the straps, etc.

Mura

We were on the Riviera February 2016, but I honestly do not remember wearing or even taking them to the dining room :rolleyes: But it was mentioned on our Roll Call that we will have to take our life jackets back to the stateroom before our M&G. So I was assuming they are still required.

sldispatcher - Did you have yours?

Mura

Mura

This was our experience as well in May 2016

The Marina became a bucking bronco overnight. The water is turning into that deeper, richer navy blue color as he we sail just north of Havana. Heavy, choppy, foamy seas are around but the sun is coming out and the forecast is for calmer seas ahead.

Code Red precautions still in place, but I would expect those to be lifted sometime in the next 24-48 hours.

Lunch plans for the MDR and dinner as well today. Will hopefully get some menu pics up today.

The Marina became a bucking bronco overnight. The water is turning into that deeper, richer navy blue color as he we sail just north of Havana. Heavy, choppy, foamy seas are around but the sun is coming out and the forecast is for calmer seas ahead.

Code Red precautions still in place, but I would expect those to be lifted sometime in the next 24-48 hours.

Lunch plans for the MDR and dinner as well today. Will hopefully get some menu pics up today.

:eek: Here's to smooth sailing!

Posting menu's would be a great idea. However, I have a 23" computer monitor, eye glasses, and a magnifying glass. Plus I saved the photo and enlarged it (just made the type blurry) and I am still unable to read the print on your menu photos. Perhaps if I was reading on a device, I could enlarge it. Otherwise, you may be wasting your time posting them the way you are. ;)

I'd love to see them. Then perhaps I can figure out the rotation and choose when we need to viit the dining room during our Feb. 1st cruise.

So much better! And if we double click, it's even larger. :D Thank you so much!

Could you also tell us what the food is that goes with your foodie photos? Some are obvious, like the salads, but the appetizers and main courses are a guess.

One other request...What PH are you in? Is it one that has a larger veranda? We will have 7133. :)

Edited by Iamthesea