LIVE - Marina Jan 22-Feb1 - Back to the Future

sldispatcher

My DH and I were looking forward to our first cruise on Oceania on 2/8 now we are REALLY looking forward to the cruise!!! Our reason changing from other lines was the quality of the food so we are hoping the quality is as good as the presentation. We are eagerly awaiting your posts to enable us to have a visual of our upcoming holiday as we are now in official cruise time preparations. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

They have started doing this recently on Regent as well. I asked, and was told it is to know when guests are dining. So your room steward knows when to make up the room for the evening.

Thanks. That is interesting. I have my doubts.

I just assumed that the room stewards either see you leaving for dinner or get to know your "dinner habits" and that is how they know when to service your room. Not to mention the "make up my room" signs on the door :D

We arrived at Cozumel at 830ish last night. Oceania put into port early because of our lack of being able to get into Grand Cayman. The meal at Polo last night was hit and miss. The entrees, as described in a previous post, fell short on delivering their description and quality that should be expected. I’ll just say Oceania can’t keep the inconsistency direction I’ve seen so far. They definitely hit more than they miss. But when you charge upper premium prices, you can’t miss too much especially with pressure coming up from below from some of the others. I’ll be keeping an eye out for consistency for the rest of the sailing. Before the panic button is hit, you will definitely enjoy your cruise on the Marina. For those looking for a more quiet, peaceful, uncrowded experience, Oceania is a great choice. Remember, I am not an Oceania apologist. I’m a purchaser of vacation experiences first and foremost.

Unfortunately, another shipmate has gone down with a respiratory virus. We are treating him and should be getting better soon. The butler was even nice enough to make up a homemade Indian brew to help him recover.

We went to the show last night. As before, the showroom leans heavily on the talents of the musicians and singers. They all had gifted voices so if that is your thing, you will enjoy it. There was no high soprano doing her rendition of a cat scratching a chalkboard. That’s usually my mark for whether it is worthy of attending or not.

As a matter of taste, the sound booth personnel suffer the same disease so many other shows seem to be afflicted with: instrumentitis. The instrument sound levels are almost always inflamed to a level to drown out the voices. This epidemic is in TV shows, production shows, churches, musicals, concerts, everywhere. The crispness and quality of the sound system helps to overcome some of that, but typically my ears ring for a day after one of those shows because of volume levels obtained during instrumentitis outbreaks.

This morning, after a late start, had a simple sunshine smoothie and a chocolate croissant and waves grill. I have to admit to a certain fondness for chocolate croissants. That’s a “cruise food” for me. Something I only ever seem to partake of while on ship. I’m sure others know exactly what I’m talking about.

Another point of reference is the general makeup of fellow passengers. My DW and I have practically sworn off Caribbean cruises because of the general makeup and atmosphere onboard. This group is extremely polite, social, non-complaining, non-chair hogging, pleasant and all around a good experience. That’s another reason you pay the price differential.

As with any cruise, you can spot the different marine mammals lounging around the pool if you want to see some wildlife. Walruses wallow, sea lions sunbathe, mermaids mingle, seals swim, and an occasional whale breaches. But they keep to themselves and appear to be having a good time with nary a care to the world. Good for them! Not sure about you, but I almost always spot two or three reincarnated Wilford Brimley’s roaming the ship. For some reason, they appear most often near the oatmeal station at breakfast. Go figure.

We are actually cold weather preferring folks, so this fun and sun is not our ideal cup of tea, but we find that Caribbean trips require patience to get into the enveloping warmth and windswept breezes. We'll get there.

As this topic seems to come up frequently, let’s mention briefly the general great attitude of crew and staff. Smiles, greetings, and plentiful without being over the top. Our cabin steward, Yelena, is doing a great job as is her assistant. The butler, Rana, is spot on for the minimal amount of help that we need.

Terrace Café had a great lunch setup with minimal attendance. Had lunch at Waves and dessert from the Terrace. Chocolate mousse cake was of extremely high quality.

More reflections later on.

I don't believe that every cruise starts on the same menu day...more like a 2 week rotation, and whatever day YOUR day one falls on, that's what you get.

Once we had the Mexican for boarding day, but never had it on any other of our 8 cruises.

Hope it works out for you, but don't want you to be disappointed!

The person taking the room numbers explained to me that this is to help keep track of customer complaints or praises.

Thank you for asking - interesting answer.

My guess is that it may be something as simple as a way to keep stats on when, where and at what time people eat for their records - maybe for future planning, staff distribution between MDR & Terrace and the like?

They keep stats on many things. I believe (at least hope) that is how they determined which items to keep from former Polo and Toscana in the new Toscan Steak n Sirena?

Edited by Paulchili

Just a warning. I don't know if you have had the Mexican buffet on Oceania before, but Mexican is not Oceania (or Regent's) strong suit. They use the same recipes and preparation, and it is just bad. Very disappointing. This has been the case for years. I, as well as a lot of cruisers I know, have complained to no avail. The guacamole is passable, but everything else is very fatty and salty and just weirdly seasoned. If I see Mexican buffet listed as the pool deck lunch, I just eat elsewhere that day.

I don't believe that every cruise starts on the same menu day...more like a 2 week rotation, and whatever day YOUR day one falls on, that's what you get.

Once we had the Mexican for boarding day, but never had it on any other of our 8 cruises.

Hope it works out for you, but don't want you to be disappointed!

Thank you. I knew about the rotation, so trying to figure it out with my cruise that starts one week from today. But...since the menu item is listed in the Daily, I don't need to worry. :)

Yes and yes

Thank you!

Golly

You're selling yourself short !

Oceania-Jaques-Filet-Mignon-Foie-Gras_thumb.jpg

Hold out for the foie gras on filet

Sublime

I should have said favorite for lunch. I am a salad girl, and mostly stick to that during lunches. But I love Mexican!

I had the filet and Foie-Gras last year at dinner. Delicious!

My guess is that it may be something as simple as a way to keep stats on when, where and at what time people eat for their records - maybe for future planning, staff distribution between MDR & Terrace and the like?

They keep stats on many things. I believe (at least hope) that is how they determined which items to keep from former Polo and Toscana in the new Toscan Steak n Sirena?

I'm sure there are multiple reasons they do this, but I'm pretty sure one of them is to decide where to seat you. Suites and long time guests get the window seats or where they request. But I'm sure you'd never get them to admit that.

Just a warning. I don't know if you have had the Mexican buffet on Oceania before, but Mexican is not Oceania (or Regent's) strong suit. They use the same recipes and preparation, and it is just bad. Very disappointing. This has been the case for years. I, as well as a lot of cruisers I know, have complained to no avail. The guacamole is passable, but everything else is very fatty and salty and just weirdly seasoned. If I see Mexican buffet listed as the pool deck lunch, I just eat elsewhere that day.

I agree - not with the Mexican because I do not eat any of it ever - there or at home. It is my least favorite ethnic food.

However, Chinese is me favorite and their Chinese buffet is very disappointing to me. I will go but I know not to get my hopes up. It certainly cannot compete with our local Chinese food here. It's just passable.

That said, Oceania's food overall is the best I've had at sea on many-a cruise line.

Edited by Paulchili

I'm sure there are multiple reasons they do this, but I'm pretty sure one of them is to decide where to seat you. Suites and long time guests get the window seats or where they request. But I'm sure you'd never get them to admit that.

Agreed - no argument here.

However, if you are not of the "chosen ones" and you don't like the table they offer you and your preferred table is still available, you can ask for it and you will get it (99% of the time).

Edited by Paulchili

I have never stayed in a suite but we got window seats on our last cruise when they were available ..it is the 2 tops that are scarce sometimes

Of all the possible reasons for taking room numbers, this does make the most sense. They know when people are in the specialties but without the room numbers at the MDR, they would be in the dark about preferences. No one checks the room numbers at Terraces so it could be a toss up of how many are in each venue without some sort of data.

It is also very nice to be addressed by name after the room number is given.

Fantastic tea at 4pm. Should not be missed at least during some of your voyage..

The sandwiches are obviously extremely freshly prepared and were not made at 9am this morning and put in the refrigerator. The same can be said for the pastries. The little almond covered one was my hands down favorite but haven’t tried them all yet as having to pace myself. It’s truly a pleasant experience and needs to be one that you at least try once during your cruise. This is not nearly as pretentious as it may seem at first. Casual is fine and the combination of music, nice atmosphere, and wonderful delights served by crisply dressed staff members go well together for a relaxing vacation.

Tomorrow will hopefully be some additional pictures of that particular event not that there aren’t any floating around the internet.

All in all, though, compared to other “high teas” we've partaken on HAL and Celebrity, this one beats them both hands down for freshness and taste. All the spectacle in the world cannot overcome a scone made yesterday or a sandwich bread which has obviously been sitting in a refrigerator under plastic wrap.

This also serves as a reminder that the feeling of the voyage can change from hour to hour and day to day. My jumbled reporting should make that obvious. Everyone’s experience is partly on the shoulders of Oceania, but a large part of the responsibility lays strictly at the feet of the voyager.

Think of it like the letter “T”. Oceania is the crossbar and they raise the level quite high. Whether that letter is moved or not is based on the long vertical line underneath. That letter can only move in a different direction if we, the passengers, give it some motion in the direction we want.

So today was Tea Time indeed. For the most part Oceania is doing its part today, now it’s up to us to have our “T” Time.

;)

I personally have no problem going to the MDR closer to 7:30 PM so that is not going to be a problem. I am wondering why they even bother taking your cabin number.

Hello Vicki,

We were told when on the Regatta, that they take the room number so the staff can call you by name and see if you have seating preferences, like sharing a table with other passengers. It also gives them access to notes on food allergies or special diets. I am very allergic to watermelon and cantaloupe (sadly, adult onset and my favorite fruits). I will usually mention it so they don't use it as a garnish and 9 times out of 10, the waiter says "yes I know." I still mention it though because death by melon is not what I want on my tombstone.

Sharon

Edited by shedevil

;)

We were told when on the Regatta, that they take the room number so the staff can call you by name and see if you have seating preferences, like sharing a table with other passengers. It also gives them access to notes on food allergies or special diets. I am very allergic to watermelon and cantaloupe (sadly, adult onset and my favorite fruits). I will usually mention it so they don't use it as a garnish and 9 times out of 10, the waiter says "yes I know." I still mention it though because death by melon is not what I want on my tombstone.

Sharon

That makes very good sense.

Gee, I wish I'd known that! We're usually in a suite, not necessarily the top ones! The best we've ever asked is NOT to seat us in the center section on the "R" ships ... Howard has hearing problems and he finds it very difficult in that section. Otherwise we never asked!

We found one benefit of asking our room number on our last two cruises is that they also remember our names ... which didn't happen before.

Mura