LIVE - Marina Jan 22-Feb1 - Back to the Future

sldispatcher

If you visited EPCOT Center’s World Showcase Mexican pavilion and placed it on a steady diet of poultry growth enhancing steroids, you would have Costa Maya. Now I actually liked what they were trying to achieve. We were joined at port by some wanting a BIG “Getaway” and others looking for a little “Magic”. You can imagine how that looked with crowded streets.

Was there another ship in, I hope? That seems like a really large crows for the Marina.

Norwegian "Getaway" - 3963 passengers

Disney "Magic" - 2700 passengers

Edited by Queen of DaNile

Oh my goodness! That's a lot of people. :eek: That's a stay on the ship day.

Bit harsh calling them crows

(I know the "s" and "d" keys are next to each other on the keyboard)

:D It was suppose to say crowds. Instead of crows, they look like a bunch of confused passengers trying to find their way out of a maze.

015b724f04e60ebb4d936f46025733b4.jpg

Crab salad

c22fd090af528b9c439de3a429852e9c.jpg

Onion Soup

e85760c07a1caefba744588d7a329cbe.jpg

Duck Entree

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Goat cheese souffle...another favorite.

Where's the crab?

How was the duck?

And finally, how is everyone feeling? :)

Thank you, my husband will love that!

We had Dover Sole on the last cruise, so we both want to try something different for both entree's and appetizers. Though it's hard to beat that goat cheese for me. :)

Try the Iberico pork at Jacques - much better than in Polo. Have it med rare (perfectly safe) - that way it's juicy and not dry; or the Lobster Thermidor :)

Edited by Paulchili

Where is it best to order lamb chops? We will be on marina next week!

The baby lamb chops at breakfast in the Grand Dining Room (also in the Terrace, since all of the ships now have grille stations at their Buffets) are heaven!

3b8919031f9dc0a8399adc6ab13b2668.jpg The rack of Lamb in Polo is also excellent.

Riviera-Red-Ginger-3273.JPG

I am definitely going to order them in Polo! They look wonderful. Hopefully I will get up and go to breakfast one of the mornings, I am so not a morning person. At least I have to go the last morning LOL

Thanks for the info and the pictures!

Edited by blambition

The Marina has taken a bit of a 180 on the approach into Roatan's Mahogany Bay. The rising sun, off the starboard side, is sneaking behind a large cloud just above the horizon. The result is a copper colored sky and the resulting reflection over very still waters of the sea.

Roatan, looking like an overgrown Loch Ness monster resting on top of the ocean surface, is a green hilly oasis a mile or so away. It does not appear overcrowded from this vantage point.

Humidity, that dreaded creature we flee from, has found us again but that is okay as well. It is expected.

Waves Grill for breakfast this morning with eggs and a Sunrise Smoothie. I like the way they do the eggs on Marina. Soft scrambled. You can get them further cooked, of course, but you can't undo the cooking. That would be like trying to turn a well done steak into medium rare. It ain't happenin'.

Dinner will be in MDR tonight.

The seasoned suite cruiser has now been infected with 'Omania' and plotting a return to the Marina or Riviera. The relative newbies are having a blast.

Everyone is feeling better.

Today is a checkbox for the DW as we are going on a dolphin swim at Anthony's Key Resort. This appeared to be the highest quality of them all on our itinerary. It is in open ocean waters. This writer is nowhere near as excited as the DW about the experience. In spite of years of going to the pool in summer, I've reached a point in life where I think I would sink and drown in a water bed. ;) But for her, the thrill will be worth the effort. At some point during the event, we will be grabbing the dorsal fins of the two dolphins and be pulled around. After one week on the Marina, I am almost certain I will require helper service with a third dolphin shoving at my feet.

If I survive my perilous journey today, I will give an update and menu reports when able.

As we nimbly slide backwards into the dock, I can see why Roatan is such a popular place already.

Try the Iberico pork at Jacques - much better than in Polo. Have it med rare (perfectly safe) - that way it's juicy and not dry; or the Lobster Thermidor :)

I am not a big pork person, but DH will probably like it. Lobster sounds like a dish to share. Duck anyone?

Where is it best to order lamb chops? We will be on marina next week!

I love lamb, and the best I had last year looked like the lamb in the Red Ginger photo. It was served one evening in the MDR.

Every morning I said to myself that I would order the lamb tenderloins, but every single time, I could not stomach the thought. :( I am going to order them next week, even if I do not eat them!:D

Today is a checkbox for the DW as we are going on a dolphin swim at Anthony's Key Resort.

This is something that I have thought about doing. So anxiously awaiting your thoughts on the excursion. :) We have been to Anthony Key before. It was a pretty island, though desolate with some caged birds and animals. Good food and service. You can actually walk around the entire island in about 30 minutes.

6bebe2ac78c32de5f51f4f7f884b2795.jpg

First off, I'm enjoying your posts. DW and I will be on Marina in March so following your cruise is almost like having a practice run for our cruise. Keep up the great commentary.

Secondly, seeing your photo of the wreck brought back memories of our visit to Roatan in 2014 (we were also on Marina for that cruise). Here's my photo of the wreck. I thought it was hilarious to be sailing by a rusted out old hull on a beautiful cruise ship. Quite the dichotomy.

IMG_2750.jpg.9011e68d47ea9407c02ab3d6f1e5c7d6.jpg

Edited by Gogie

sldispatcher, thank you so much for your continuing commentary while aboard the Marina. We will be sailing with her 4-10 through 5-11-17 Miami to Rome, and your photos of the food on-board are tantalizing!

Although I don't wish my life to go too fast, can't wait to board her in April!

Donna