LIVE - Marina Jan 22-Feb1 - Back to the Future

sldispatcher

Before you spit out your coffee, call someone, or start a new thread, do not think that a magic show was actually presented in the Marina Lounge. As expected, it was either singing or singing each night of the cruise in the Marina Lounge. The onboard entertainment staff do a great job and it is aimed for the predominant demographic on the ship. We had no real issue with that as we were often lights out by 930pm each night. That’s just how we roll.

But back to the title……..

At the heart of every discussion regarding cruise selection is if you were to line up 3 cruises with different ships and lines but do the EXACT same land side excursions and activities, would the choice of line or ship make that much of a difference?

Some like space.

Some want food of the highest quality.

Others want entertainment and nightlife.

Some want a spa.

Big spenders have avenues on most any ship and line to be “that person”. I say that because, as you know from looking at brochures, interviews, and the like, Oceania has positioned itself to go after the segment of bigger spenders for cruises. They didn’t just pull that out of a hat like a rabbit. It had to be intentional.

So as not to pull any tricks on anyone, this means they have to deliver many more times than they miss. That is no small task. It’s probably easier to saw someone in half and put them back together.

It can’t be an illusion. It must be real.

So what does this demographic like to do?

Eat well.

Sleep well.

Minimize aggravations.

Vacation casually.

Have room to breathe.

Appreciate small touches.

Feel at home.

Personal space.

Sincere service.

Heal from the wounds of worldly distractions.

From personal experience, Marina can do all of this and does it 99.9% of the time each day.

For all of our little gripes about a steak that might not have had this or a sauce that might not be just right, we often fail to mention the 99 other things that were just fantastic.

If Marina can do all of those things mentioned above regarding delivery of service, then a vacation transformation has occurred.

Several years ago now in the middle of February, a 21 year old college student was found by his mother to have altered mental status and unable to converse or move. The desperate hours afterward would reveal a significant brain bleed that required emergent surgery with an unknown outcome. In the following days, a meningitis would strike and then be treated. Long days of rehab and recovery would be next. Multiple seizure episodes and more doctor visits over the next 5 years.

Next month, against all odds, he graduates college with almost no limitations and living independently.

His mother, after being so afraid to leave him (and a 10 year old with the grandparents) back in the states, took a brave step and volunteered to come on this trip with her husband. The barriers to making it happen seemed numerous at times, but the desire has been there all along to enjoy the warmth of the winter in the Western Caribbean.

She has gone swimming with dolphins, laughed uncontrollably, lazed on a beach on a distant island, eaten a variety of foods, and taken naps during the day which doesn’t normally happen.

You should know that I’m in no way a mystical person. In fact, I’m a part-time Sunday School teacher, faithful person who blogs just as much on mission trips as I do for cruises. But the act of healing sometimes requires more than just medicine or time. It can require an act of faith and experience that can almost seem like magic.

What I do know is that this vessel, the crew, and experience have helped transform this lady over the course of 10 days in a way that I do not think would have happened on other lines or ships. The atmosphere onboard provided the perfect potion for healing tight muscles, mending worry widgets, and giving rest where it was sorely needed. The value to that family will be priceless.

There are certainly times when you need a Times Square, Vegas, or theme park like experience and there are lines that can provide that. This was not what this was about.

Which leads me in a big circle back to the question of did sailing this itinerary with Oceania’s flagship as opposed to another cruise line make a difference?

Of course it did. It was done with no slight of hand, no mirrors or distractions.

It wasn’t magic.

It was Marina.

Isn’t that the kind of show you’d buy a ticket for? What are you waiting on?

David, the page became a bit blurry with your last entry. Thank you. That was nothing short of magical.

And thank you for taking us along with you on your voyage. I have so enjoyed every word, every description, every photo. I am so happy that we embark on Feb. 18. I love Oceania. Having cruised more lines than I can even remember sometimes, once we boarded Riviera for the first time in January 2013, we knew there was no going back.

You are blessed with an incredible writing ability that shines and it is no wonder so many joined you on your adventure. Thank you again and may you have a wonderful day in Key West and a safe journey home.

Before you spit out your coffee, call someone, or start a new thread, do not think that a magic show was actually presented in the Marina Lounge. As expected, it was either singing or singing each night of the cruise in the Marina Lounge. The onboard entertainment staff do a great job and it is aimed for the predominant demographic on the ship. We had no real issue with that as we were often lights out by 930pm each night. That’s just how we roll.

But back to the title……..

At the heart of every discussion regarding cruise selection is if you were to line up 3 cruises with different ships and lines but do the EXACT same land side excursions and activities, would the choice of line or ship make that much of a difference?

Some like space.

Some want food of the highest quality.

Others want entertainment and nightlife.

Some want a spa.

Big spenders have avenues on most any ship and line to be “that person”. I say that because, as you know from looking at brochures, interviews, and the like, Oceania has positioned itself to go after the segment of bigger spenders for cruises. They didn’t just pull that out of a hat like a rabbit. It had to be intentional.

So as not to pull any tricks on anyone, this means they have to deliver many more times than they miss. That is no small task. It’s probably easier to saw someone in half and put them back together.

It can’t be an illusion. It must be real.

So what does this demographic like to do?

Eat well.

Sleep well.

Minimize aggravations.

Vacation casually.

Have room to breathe.

Appreciate small touches.

Feel at home.

Personal space.

Sincere service.

Heal from the wounds of worldly distractions.

From personal experience, Marina can do all of this and does it 99.9% of the time each day.

For all of our little gripes about a steak that might not have had this or a sauce that might not be just right, we often fail to mention the 99 other things that were just fantastic.

If Marina can do all of those things mentioned above regarding delivery of service, then a vacation transformation has occurred.

Several years ago now in the middle of February, a 21 year old college student was found by his mother to have altered mental status and unable to converse or move. The desperate hours afterward would reveal a significant brain bleed that required emergent surgery with an unknown outcome. In the following days, a meningitis would strike and then be treated. Long days of rehab and recovery would be next. Multiple seizure episodes and more doctor visits over the next 5 years.

Next month, against all odds, he graduates college with almost no limitations and living independently.

His mother, after being so afraid to leave him (and a 10 year old with the grandparents) back in the states, took a brave step and volunteered to come on this trip with her husband. The barriers to making it happen seemed numerous at times, but the desire has been there all along to enjoy the warmth of the winter in the Western Caribbean.

She has gone swimming with dolphins, laughed uncontrollably, lazed on a beach on a distant island, eaten a variety of foods, and taken naps during the day which doesn’t normally happen.

You should know that I’m in no way a mystical person. In fact, I’m a part-time Sunday School teacher, faithful person who blogs just as much on mission trips as I do for cruises. But the act of healing sometimes requires more than just medicine or time. It can require an act of faith and experience that can almost seem like magic.

What I do know is that this vessel, the crew, and experience have helped transform this lady over the course of 10 days in a way that I do not think would have happened on other lines or ships. The atmosphere onboard provided the perfect potion for healing tight muscles, mending worry widgets, and giving rest where it was sorely needed. The value to that family will be priceless.

There are certainly times when you need a Times Square, Vegas, or theme park like experience and there are lines that can provide that. This was not what this was about.

Which leads me in a big circle back to the question of did sailing this itinerary with Oceania’s flagship as opposed to another cruise line make a difference?

Of course it did. It was done with no slight of hand, no mirrors or distractions.

It wasn’t magic.

It was Marina.

Isn’t that the kind of show you’d buy a ticket for? What are you waiting on?

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you.

Well, great! I have the misfortune to be getting ready to create a New Live thread for the Marina's next cruise starting February 1st.

Why misfortune? Because following right behind David's fabulous thread for the current Marina sailing will be impossible to live up to. Nevertheless, you all will have to struggle through. So get over it. Ha!

Some of you who have followed my previous live postings probably realize how moved I was by one of David's most recent postings. Several of my latest trips on Oceania over the years have been made to celebrate up/down/up/down/up moments with my daughter in her seemingly never ending battle with The Big C. It is difficult to put into words what it has meant to share all the special moments we've had on our Oceania cruises. I've come to realize that Oceania has intrinsically been part of, as David states, this special kind of magic.

But here I am again, getting ready to attempt a somewhat daily blog of Marina's next cruise. I reluctantly pick up the baton from David. Thank you again David for a remarkable thread.

Oh yeah. Traveling with DW only for this cruise. 35th wedding anniversary sort of thing. :) Shannon too busy with work to break away and spend time with the "old folks." Amazing sign for her though. Gott ist liebe!

Edited by What A Market

We docked at the naval station pier today as an “Empress” and a “Victory” were ahead of us. Their arrival slowed us down so we were delayed 30 – 40 minutes.

Once immigration began, they moved things along as quickly as possible and will most likely prove to be a blessing tomorrow AM.

From our vantage point out over the small harbor, things look like a picture book of Key West. Classic beige and white toned houses with gables, gray roofs and a few widow walks. Sentinel palm trees stand guard swaying in the wind like hair would look in an Amarillo vacation picture.

Oceania provided a shuttle service to/from the heart of town via the Conch Train. As any usual substandard tour operator would do, they would wait to fill up every seat before leaving for town even though they had two “trains” sitting right behind us. Personally, I would have just launched one every 5 – 10 minutes for the first couple of hours then gone on a 15 minute schedule the rest of the day. But nope, they’d rather pay drivers to sit and do nothing. There is also the very real possibility that there are logistics that are not that obvious to us lay people, so I suppose I should cut them some slack.

The cars, as such as they were, had been designed by the same pygmy fellow that does sardine cans. Built for maximum loading, 4 young people weighing 80 pounds each in their birthday suits would do just fine. The Oceania crowd on this trip has more titanium parts as a whole than an entire surgical suite. Well-fed on top of that.

Key West. At least the small part we walked around, has obviously succumbed to the tourist trade of T-shirts and drinking holes. The residential areas we saw were nice enough and reminded me a bit of a Charleston, SC look and feel using dollhouses instead of mansions.

We went Stone Crab eating at Alonzo’s and then meandered back to the ship.

This evening will be a victory lap through Privee. Having dined in there before, I believe that the westward view as we sail off towards Miami will be a fitting end. Having dined there before, we are delighted to share the experience with the folks new to Oceania as another of the hidden gems onboard that can enhance the cruise experience. Will report on that later.

Now hold on to your hats……..

In a little over 6 weeks, we will have a family cruise on RCCL Liberty of the Seas. I hope to be able to muster enough energy to do a “live from” report for the March 26th sailing. There is excitement because once again we will have fun enjoying a family experience together with some tweens and teens who do not get to be away from home very often. I have not deluded myself into thinking that it will be on the same level, but the twinkle in their eyes and energy of the ship should make up for some of the shortcomings that may be present on a much larger vessel such as Liberty.

We have never been on RCCL before (just Holland, Celebrity, and Oceania) so for me there is pleasure in just a new discovery and experience that will stand or fall on its own merits.

Aptly considered in regards to our port today, one may believe that a “key” part of the enjoyment of any vacation comes with the company you keep.

The shuttle train is put on by the port as you are not allowed to wander freely on the naval base

we found the early trains fill quickly

Too bad you were not docked downtown. So much easier to just walk off and a few steps to Duval Street. Guess O does not have enough clout with port people. but either way Key West is fun. Safe trip home.

Edited by RJB

Too bad you were not docked downtown. So much easier to just walk off and a few steps to Duval Street. Guess O does not have enough clout with port people. but either way Key West is fun. Safe trip home.

Last cruise there we did dock downtown

We were on HAL when were at outer Mole but the facts are still the same

Oceania also docks at OuterMole on some stops there

it is the luck of the draw maybe

http://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/department/calendar.php

Edited by LHT28

Ummmm, the location actually allowed for a really nice entrance into the town with narration and scenery via the shuttle. I was well aware of the necessity because of the pier location within the confines of the base.

I suppose leaving out the reason for the shuttle was considered critical info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sldispatcher

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this incredible "live from". Your "Marina Magic" post was a wonderful way to remind us all about what is really important. We just got off the Riviera on 1-13 and can't wait for our next O cruise in July. Safe trip home and happy future cruising.

Ummmm, the location actually allowed for a really nice entrance into the town with narration and scenery via the shuttle. I was well aware of the necessity because of the pier location within the confines of the base.

I suppose leaving out the reason for the shuttle was considered critical info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't understand. Who was leaving out the reason for the shuttle? Sure can't walk.