LIVE - Marina Jan 22-Feb1 - Back to the Future

sldispatcher

Mmmmmm....I love the chocolate croissants on Oceania and never have them elsewhere. I write it in on my Breakfast menu. But there is one other delicious treat I most covet....their donuts when they rarely make them. I asked the Chef why they didn't have them more often because eating 3 at once is sheer gluttony. He told me he'd make them anytime I wanted. Sure! How often did I see him???😊😊😊

Mmmmmm....I love the chocolate croissants on Oceania and never have them elsewhere. I write it in on my Breakfast menu. But there is one other delicious treat I most covet....their donuts when they rarely make them. I asked the Chef why they didn't have them more often because eating 3 at once is sheer gluttony. He told me he'd make them anytime I wanted. Sure! How often did I see him???😊😊😊

What about their almond croissants (sometimes with chocolate as well) and the Paris-Brest at Tea?

Two of my favorites :)

I'm sure there are multiple reasons they do this, but I'm pretty sure one of them is to decide where to seat you. Suites and long time guests get the window seats or where they request. But I'm sure you'd never get them to admit that.

Interesting. We will have to see how that theory works out next week. Last cruise we were newbies and staying in a Veranda. When eating in the dining room, we were either given a seat with others (although we asked to dine alone) or given a two top along the rail. This year, we will be in a Suite.

Just a warning. I don't know if you have had the Mexican buffet on Oceania before, but Mexican is not Oceania (or Regent's) strong suit. They use the same recipes and preparation, and it is just bad. Very disappointing. This has been the case for years. I, as well as a lot of cruisers I know, have complained to no avail. The guacamole is passable, but everything else is very fatty and salty and just weirdly seasoned. If I see Mexican buffet listed as the pool deck lunch, I just eat elsewhere that day.

Thank you for the heads-up. Nothing worse than a salty taco.:(

Interesting. We will have to see how that theory works out next week. Last cruise we were newbies and staying in a Veranda. When eating in the dining room, we were either given a seat with others (although we asked to dine alone) or given a two top along the rail. This year, we will be in a Suite.

I hope that no one is suggesting that any passenger who thinks to ask for a certain location in the dining room wouldn't be seated in their preferred section.

couples-cruise-lines-oceania.jpg

-but there may be an inference that Passengers in the Suites are led to those tables without having to ask first...

Thank you for the heads-up. Nothing worse than a salty taco.:(

Wow, that is odd, Iamthesea. When my husband and I eat lunch in the MDR we are always given the table we request. Usually a two top next to a window and we always stay in a veranda. We have found that the MDR is usually empty at lunch on port days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, that is odd, Iamthesea. When my husband and I eat lunch in the MDR we are always given the table we request. Usually a two top next to a window and we always stay in a veranda. We have found that the MDR is usually empty at lunch on port days.

We never dined during lunch hours. This was during the evening. And let me make clear that we did not ask for a preferred table. Only that we wished to dine alone. Perhaps the Norovirus had something to do with putting us with others as the dining staff was short handed that cruise. The dining room was also practically deserted on the evening we sat with another couple. The other 3 evenings, more passengers filled the area.

I hope that no one is suggesting that any passenger who thinks to ask for a certain location in the dining room wouldn't be seated in their preferred section.

couples-cruise-lines-oceania.jpg

-but there may be an inference that Passengers in the Suites are led to those tables without having to ask first...

We shall see. :D If we are not satisfied the first time we go to the MDR, we will ask the next time. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

After a few days onboard, I’m reminded of the many differences that can easily go unnoticed if one is not aware, not able to appreciate or simply not in tune to what is right there in front of you. You can find them all over the ship. The quality is there at the Terrace Grill. The portions are right sized for limiting waste and maximizing flavor. The chicken is pounded thin and grilled quickly. The pasta today had a wonderful cream sauce that mixed well with the pasta that is either of extremely high quality or made fresh onboard.

At tea, the extra servers, carts, and freshness of the items is evident. I can say that other than scones, there were no repeats. Nutella croissants and bacon sandwiches were my top picks. Those gentile gems could be served to me anywhere and I would be happy. A mix of what seemed to be freshly prepared bacon and hint of egg with mayo were well done.

The simple fact that there is no one at the port disembarkation point holding a pad ready to charge your room for a bottled water is another small detail and difference. They add up. I’ve yet to pull out my room key other than to enter our cabin or leave the ship/return to the ship.

Most everyone is on the mend. Naps are becoming more frequent and bedtimes earlier. For me, that is always a hallmark of a great vacation.

Some of the most glaring differences are lack of free roaming wee beasts also known as unaccompanied children. Another would be the silence in the hallways. Empty covered deck chairs are easily spotted around the pool. This is Caribbean cruising Oceania style.

The Terrace Café opened at noon today with little to no crowding. Unlike other lines, the Main Dining Room was also available on a port day as well. As always everything is very fresh. Some items may not be as salty as one person would like, or as crispy as another, but the choices were so numerous and plentiful that it would have been difficult to really complain. The salad bar for me always seems super fresh when compared to others.

All items are served by staff. Bread, salads, cold small plates, and so on. No self-serve slop lines here. The buffet is also not 150 feet long with two sides to it. When you really look at it, it is much smaller than most with a mirror image presented to port and starboard with a bisection of grill, dessert, and bread offerings. Service staff are everywhere. Another pointed difference.

If you visited EPCOT Center’s World Showcase Mexican pavilion and placed it on a steady diet of poultry growth enhancing steroids, you would have Costa Maya. Now I actually liked what they were trying to achieve. We were joined at port by some wanting a BIG “Getaway” and others looking for a little “Magic”. You can imagine how that looked with crowded streets.

Tonight is a Tour de France of culinary delights at Jacques. Hopefully that will rebound from the helter skelter POLO Grill experience. I will report on that later tonight or tomorrow.

It’s warm now. Too warm for our Louisiana tastes, but not unexpected.

I’m practically whispering to myself now as the words drift on to the computer. That may be the biggest statement made about various attributes on the ship and the Oceania Experience.

It’s not about a gaudy splash of décor or over the top presentation. It’s all about helping the passengers turn the volume down on life.

And for that difference maker, I will make a loud and joyful noise.

Just not on the ship.

Edited by sldispatcher
spelling

I was on the Marina the cruise before this one and never minded the question for cabin number. I think they just want to greet you with your name. The woman who assigned the seating was very courteous and repeated our name each time. And each time we got very nice window seating after I complained about the poor room service. I pay extra to get concierge so I can get a hot breakfast in the morning while I get ready. But every day there was a problem - late, no forks, teabag but no hot water for tea, or not showing up at all. The head of the MDR came to me at a specialty restaurant to apologize and the service sort of got better after that but it still was not up the great standards of Oceania. But then I realized that we were on a Norovirus alert after a room service person came through our deck with a mask and plastic gloves. I assume the staff was also effected so they were probably short staffed. In the last days of our cruise when they knew they were getting an inspection in Miami, the staff was very nervous and supervisors were very demanding of the staff. Glad to hear the alert is over now. We did not get sick, but we were able to get a booking at a specialty restaurant any night we asked so I really didn't believe only 19 people were sick.

It’s not about a gaudy splash of décor or over the top presentation. It’s all about helping the passengers turn the volume down on life.

And for that difference maker, I will make a loud and joyful noise.

Just not on the ship.

Three cheers for that!

Anxiously awaiting our upcoming Nautica trip. Your descriptions of tea and pictures of food are making it hard to wait!

Thank you for sharing your adventures with us!

Joe

Edited by JoePDX