How early can you disembark?

lukydog

Does HAL have self disembark (where you carry off all your bags instead of setting them outside your room the night before) like Carnival does? Am looking at a cruise that will arrive back at Ft. Lauderdale at 7AM on a Sunday. Would it be possible to make a 10:40 AM flight out of Ft. Lauderdale airport? Thanks in advance. CC is always so helpful!

Does HAL have self disembark (where you carry off all your bags instead of setting them outside your room the night before) like Carnival does? Am looking at a cruise that will arrive back at Ft. Lauderdale at 7AM on a Sunday. Would it be possible to make a 10:40 AM flight out of Ft. Lauderdale airport? Thanks in advance. CC is always so helpful!

Yes, HAL does self-disembark too. While you may be able to make a 10:40 AM flight I will never book a flight that early. Things do happen that cause a ship to dock late and that may mean you miss your flight. The way planes full almost full all the time may make it very difficult t get another flight.

You have to count that you'll at curb no earlier than 8:00AM. Depending customs and the number of ships it could be as late as 8:30AM.

If your going FLL on a Saturday the security and check in could be two hours.

Personally I would take a later flight if you can. You'll be sure to get a 11:30AM or later.

Would it be possible to make a 10:40 AM flight out of Ft. Lauderdale airport?

We have done it many times, but......

There was that time that we had to make an extra stop in Grand Turk for a medical emergency and couldn't make up the time.

And there was the time that weather delayed our return to port.

And there was the time that the disembarkation process was delayed due to Customs.

It may be doable but there is also a chance you can not make it if problems are encountered. We prefer the last day to be relaxed and usually take a noon or later flight.

We have done it many times, but......

There was that time that we had to make an extra stop in Grand Turk for a medical emergency and couldn't make up the time.

And there was the time that weather delayed our return to port.

And there was the time that the disembarkation process was delayed due to Customs.

Too many this can go wrong. If you stay with your planned flight. Then have a backup in case you miss the flight. Insurance usually doesn't cover this type of issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I join the others in their recommendation to take a later flight.

I don't like to end my cruise stressed out.

Like crystal, I'd rather be at the airport killing some time before my flight than risking missing my flight. ;).

I certainly wouldn't want to end a nice cruise stressed about whether or not I would make the flight home.

You are cutting it too close -- JMO.

There have been several times when we were finishing up breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill at around 7:30 and the ship had still not been cleared. The line with the self-disembarking people was very long.

Saturdays and Sundays are very busy days in Ft Lauderdale.

Last month we were in the second disembarkation group AFTER the self disembark and left the ship at 8:15 am. By 9 AM we were standing at the American Airlines GATE, so it can be done (10:40 am flight), especially if you self-disembark.

However, you leave many issues open to problems and you could miss your flight. So, I would book a later flight, unless I knew that I had inexpensive alternative flight options.

The last time we disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale we stayed overnight before flying home. Since we had no problem getting to our gate early, we had plenty of time to watch people who had missed their earlier flights attempting to get waitlisted for our flight. DH was shocked to see how many there were. Our 1:00-ish flight was full and the gate agents weren't able to them much hope. With early flights -- you roll the dice, you take your chances....

Would it be possible to make a 10:40 AM flight out of Ft. Lauderdale airport?
Possible, yes. Probable, yes, if there are no snags. But what will it cost you in $ and hassles if you don't make it?

Edited by jtl513

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I agree the timing would probably stress me out. We normally take a later flight to be totally safe, but this time the later flights are ridiculously more expensive. Looks like we might not get to go anyway :-(

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I agree the timing would probably stress me out. We normally take a later flight to be totally safe, but this time the later flights are ridiculously more expensive. Looks like we might not get to go anyway :-(

Consider spending another night in Ft. Lauderdale, a really nice city, and fly out the next morning ;)