Waterproof Hiking Shoes/Boots

DeeDee Groff

Am in need of a pair of good waterproof hiking shoes or lightweight boots. Have narrow feet, but can wear medium width with an innersole. Would welcome any suggestion or input. Thank you in advance!

I love my hokas! http://www.hokaoneone.com/sale/tor-summit-mid-wp/888855241799.html?source=shoppingsite_PLA_1008983-SGHY-09&kpid=1008983-SGHY-09&source=shoppingsite_PLA&gclid=CjwKEAiAqozEBRDJrPem0fPKtX0SJAD5sAyHe60VmKxvEa6mx2xKVFUF4xwX4JZlx0FhiRpcQJdq1xoCUT_w_wcB

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Am in need of a pair of good waterproof hiking shoes or lightweight boots. Have narrow feet, but can wear medium width with an innersole. Would welcome any suggestion or input. Thank you in advance!

There are many good choices you could make but I would suggest that you go to your local outdoors store and try on different brands to see how they fit and feel before ordering any online.

Shak

These. Have had many pairs of hiking boots, but these are the best ever. Tried them on at REI, then found them much cheaper on line. Wore them almost daily for a month in South Africa last year and they were the first pair of boots that didn't make my feet miserable after an hour.

My current REI doesn't have a huge selection of women's shoes, which is a shame, but I understand we're a small market (That's still an hour+ drive away) So it's easier for me to order online and return what doesn't work. Ah well.

BUT do what you can do at REI, no matter where/how you try boots on - walk on difficult terrain! Up hills, down hills, over rocks, etc. Make an obstacle course in your living room if necessary (I have :p)

My feet are wide with high arches so I can't help you with brands, but def do lots of trying & walking around. Wear a pair you think you like for a few hours when possible (I will wear around the house, up & down stairs, on my feet for an hour making dinner etc - the shoe stays indoor fresh, but keeping it on for a couple hours is better than just 5 minutes in a store, in my opinion)

These. Have had many pairs of hiking boots, but these are the best ever. Tried them on at REI, then found them much cheaper on line. Wore them almost daily for a month in South Africa last year and they were the first pair of boots that didn't make my feet miserable after an hour.

Found them at REI, too. On sale! Made them a little cheaper than online. Love them!

To the OP, don't forget the importance of socks. For long hikes, I wear a thin fitted hiking sock with a thicker wool hiking sock over it. Makes all the difference in blister and moisture control.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I love my Vasque hiking boots. They're lightweight, made of heavy canvas instead of leather, and they fit like a dream. I've been wearing them perhaps a decade, and they probably don't have much life left ... but not a bad deal considering I bought them for $2 at a yard sale.

My daughters both have Merrill boots, which came from ebay, and they love them.

Think carefully about waterproof. Do you really want waterproof, as in duck shoes made of rubber, as in good for heavy rain? Remember that feet sweat, and if your boots are truly waterproof, they'll hold sweat IN just as they'll hold water OUT.

If you want less than 100% waterproof -- and you probably do -- you'll want either leather or heavy canvas ... and you'll need to occasionally brush on /spray on waterproofing. You can buy it at REI or similar places.

Edited by MrsPete

Thanks to all of you I now have three pairs of waterproof boots (one Hoka, one Vasque, and one Merrell)--all at clearance prices, the Merrell boots were just $19.99! I drove Tuesday to an "expedition shop" 85 miles away (live at the back of beyond) where I was "expertly fitted." Would have been overwhelmed if it weren't for your suggestions.....

Happy Cruising!

Edited by DeeDee Groff
spelling

That is a great price for Merrells!!! I can't wear them any more (they changed the last a few years back and the arch is too far back for me now). But I have a couple pairs I've had for 10+ years. My husband has quite a few pairs as well (shoes & boots) and loves them!

I also have a pair of leather (not waterproof) Vasque boots I've had forever - they're the boots I wear when I'm really hiking, not just messing about:D

All my waterproof clothing - shoes, pants, jackets, hats - is goretex. Waterproof, breathable. It's been around for ages and is not at all rubber like.

Technical fabrics are wonderful.i just love science!

Absolutely! waterproof technologies have improved vastly over the years. Cheap "waterproof" items like one would buy at Walmart/Target/Kohls are still hot, not breathable. But, things like Goretex, HyVent, H2No, are marrying waterproof and breathable. You just have to be willing to pay the money to get these. My hiking shoes and boots are Goretex - keep me dry as a bone and they do not get hot. My boots are Keens from years ago and they are still going strong. My hiking shoes are the trusty Merrill Chameleons. My outerwear shells are a mixed bag of Helly Hansen, Marmot, Mountain Hardware and The North Face. All have a waterproof manufacture. Having access to "rates to the trade" when I worked at a ski resort was great to be able to buy lots of outdoor gear at amazing prices :D

Edited by slidergirl