San Juan on Silhouette Cruise March

LizzGo

Our Eastern Caribbean cruise stops I San Juan. We arrive at 3 and depart at nine. My sister tells me old town is not to be missed. However, with the recent financial and political problems in Puerto Rico I'm wondering if just going off on your own and wandering the streets is a good idea. Has anyone heard anything? Thoughts or opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've done just that numerous times, including this past December.

There are typically some organized walking tours, and if you've never been, I'd look at one of those (Celebrity or private). Those will typically get you into the fort, for instance, as well as around the old town.

Standard urban survival skills and precautions apply, but I've never felt uncomfortable in San Juan, but I do stick to the well traveled areas.

Our Eastern Caribbean cruise stops I San Juan. We arrive at 3 and depart at nine. My sister tells me old town is not to be missed. However, with the recent financial and political problems in Puerto Rico I'm wondering if just going off on your own and wandering the streets is a good idea. Has anyone heard anything? Thoughts or opinions?

We were just there in December. There are uniformed officers on patrol in the public areas.

It felt very safe. We were there overnight and felt comfortable everywhere we went.

That said, be alert, not afraid.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

Thank you. I'm not a timid traveller, having lived in a third world country for several years. That being said I also witnessed some pretty risky behaviour on the part of tourists mostly due to being oblivious. Trying to find an informed balance.

You have NOTHING to worry about. Unless you read the news, you would never know that there's financial hardship in the island. Private sector businesses are actually thriving. Parts of Old San Juan including the waterfront have received a recent makeover and it looked beautiful on our last cruise visit. The government finances are what's been making the news recently, so unless you're a government employee awaiting your paycheck or a resident awaiting your tax return, you have nothing to worry about.

My family is from Puerto Rico, and I have hundreds of family members and friends who live in the island and they say that most things are "business as usual" unless you work for the government. We were there on a cruise in May and we also spent two weeks during the Christmas break. We didn't see anything that would make us think that there's a financial crisis.

GO AND ENJOY! You will have an absolutely fantastic time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

We have been there numerous times and have never felt uncomfortable. What was noticeable was an obvious police presence. They were seen at major intersections.

When we get off the ship, we will head to one of the forts which is a nice walk. Great views. Also, across the street from the pier, there are two major drug store chains in which you can pick up cold medicine and items you have forgotten.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to San Juan on Silhouette for the first time a year ago. Like you, we were wondering what to expect. Took a Celebrity excursion and were very pleasantly surprised. We are going back next January and have an overnight there. We cannot wait to explore the old time more than we had time for a year ago. So go and enjoy!

Was just there a few weeks ago, similar time for visit etc.

Took a private walking tour-our family dynamics (5 strong willed adults, none with a great sense of direction!) makes this the best option in a new place. Javier Ruiz (found on CC and Trip Advisor) was excellent and reasonably priced. The area is relatively small and one can do it on your own with research. We walked the width and breath of Old San Juan, and while I recognized the areas where one should not go, we felt safe, expecially with a local (since I do not speak spanish).

As others have said, the presence of uniformed police was remarkable to us. We have traveled extensively and of course have seen police/military before in busy locations, but their presence in Old San Juan was noticeable. All said, it was a lovely visit and using usual precautions, I would not hesitate to visit again.