New York Airport - Which one?

suntan

The mess at lga will not be an issue to you.

You will more than likely have a driver picking you up

They call your cell and tell you where to stand

They are lined up close by and it's very easy for you....it's the driver who needs to jump the hurdles

Fwiw....book the best flight and the best time at the best price for your needs.

JFK or lga ...it doesn't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Better yet Newark as it is closer to port and you can take the air train into the city.

And then get yourself to the port via another method of transport

Too much work if the op is flying that day IMHO

Edited by luvtheships

Sitting at JFK now, only moderate delays with Nor-easter storm, LGA is another story due to its much shorter runways. We live across the Flushing Bay, a short drive (so LGA is logical) but always choose JFK with that extra 20 to 40 minutes drive, summer storms are common. LGA traffic mess improving, its NYC that's unpredictable and Trump's will commuting to/from LGA to DC. Car service fares, maybe $15 higher with JFK. But, if flying in day of sailing - get insurance & not just count on luck - alas, no easy/simple answer, it's the calculus game. Figure out your fares and backup flight schedule in case of IRREG's (like here below)

29eb40d0d274126c0e6817e9178495ec.jpg

sent from Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.1 via Tapatalk, VPN secured

Edited by mking8288

My personal preference is to fly in a day early and spend the night. It isn't worth the aggravation of not getting in on time and then dealing with NYC traffic. Remember flight delays happen all the time, cruise delays are rare.

This is very good advice. Lots of hotels in Midtown close to the port. Was just in NYC flew in to LGA and out of JFK. JFK is much further and costs more for transport from the airport however it runs much more on time then LGA. LGA is closer. The difference in transport costs using a car service is about $30. I would not fly into LGA on the day of a cruise, too risky. We did not find the construction at LGA an issue at all though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

The mess at LGA effects everybody. It can take considerable time to get through the traffic. Your driver will be late getting to you because it can take 1 hour to get in. It will be tough to find the driver. Then getting out is chaos too. I have been through the mess as a driver & a passenger. Don't do it.

If you pick EWR understand it will cost you about $50 to get to the port. Factor that into your decision. I won't cross state lines unless I save at least $100 pp on the air.

I agree with Trish about LGA. Traffic is a horror and saying that it's your driver's responsibility is all well in good in theory but in practice is another story. And now that JFK will also be getting a major overhaul, that will be another nightmare too (eventually). At least the taxi fare from JFK is a flat rate.

$50. for a taxi from EWR to the terminal sounds good to me. Doesn't sound like it's much more than from either NYC airport.

Edited by cruise pup

Depends on time of year, day of week, time of day. I hate LGA but just used it as first class on Delta was cheaper than coach on JetBlue. Dropped off with no issues whatsoever. We needed 2 cars coming home. My drivers watched our flight status (have done this both with friends and car services) and waited in the Cell Phone Lot. We called them after we had our luggage, walked outside, drivers pulled up. Easy Peasy.

Check the NY boards for recommended car services. I would go with what is cheaper after adding in price quotes from car service for each airport.

Better yet Newark as it is closer to port and you can take the air train into the city.

Actually you missed a step...it is the air train to the NJ transit to the city. (or add in path if you want to) ;)

Edited by TruckerDave

The mess at LGA effects everybody. It can take considerable time to get through the traffic. Your driver will be late getting to you because it can take 1 hour to get in. It will be tough to find the driver. Then getting out is chaos too. I have been through the mess as a driver & a passenger. Don't do it.

If you pick EWR understand it will cost you about $50 to get to the port. Factor that into your decision. I won't cross state lines unless I save at least $100 pp on the air.

That sounds low, for going over state lines. I'm about the same distance from EWR as the port is, but in NJ, and a taxi to the airport is about $45 without tip for me.

And then get yourself to the port via another method of transport

Too much work if the op is flying that day IMHO

Too much work???? Where did the OP say they were flying in the day of??? EWR in to Manhattan is not hard. Trains all the way and no sitting in traffic. $13 each way on the NJ transit. Why do people want to over thing or complicate things. :rolleyes:

If you fly the day before, and you pack light, try flying into Newark. Stay at the weehawken Sheraton (much cheaper than NYC after calculating the ny hotel tax). The ny waterway ferry leaves from in front of the hotel and drops you off 10 blocks south of the ship. I love taking a boat to the boat, and love the walk along the Hudson.

We're flying into LGA the day before our cruise, and have booked the Kimpton 48 Hotel which is literally 1 block from the port. (11th Ave at 48th) What is the best way to get from the airport? Taxi? Uber? Private car service (and any recommendations)? Thanks!

Too much work???? Where did the OP say they were flying in the day of??? EWR in to Manhattan is not hard. Trains all the way and no sitting in traffic. $13 each way on the NJ transit. Why do people want to over thing or complicate things. :rolleyes:

You missed the.....IF