New York Airport - Which one?

suntan

There's a 411 thread on LGA construction, updates are posted there. This past Friday's airport/traffic mess was exceptional post-blizzard/winter storm recovery - LGA, less than 2 miles from us, got about 1 foot of wet/heavy snow on the ground - most of it cleaned up by Thursday evening - but, overnight - black ice & freezing temperature became the new problem all day Fridays with folks trying to get out on the road, despite pleas & warnings to avoid driving unless ...

End result, narrowed & blocked exit/curb lanes near the airport entrances & exits (worsen by the re-routing for the interior service roadways) 2 new multi-story parking strucure near Terminal B & C (central to many) and being a Friday, end result is one giant mess. Off airport, nearby highways had accidents & closures ... the advice to always allow extra time & double it in case of poor weather remain true, regardless of which airport flying into/out of.

Time of the day & directions for travel to/from airport also a key consideration on what to expect and areas for these congestion bottleneck. Heading into midtown Manhattan - there are often extra delays due to midday road constructions (except weekends) but heading to the airport, even in the morning, can be a challenge.

I would caution against a blanket generalization to NOT fly into LGA and depending on your loyalties with airline/alliance partners - the choice isn't always there if you don't like UNITED (as 70% of EWR traffic is from them/regional carriers - and some jet/turbo-prop services at LGA, and zero flights on UA at JFK).

LGA's construction project is a long-term & major modernization and not expected to finish current phrases until sometime in 2018-2019, mid-year or later (if they managed to be on-time/ahead of schedule and on budget/below budget etc.) But, it's been promised to be vastly better by this summer - just don't get too excited with a wait-n-see attitude. Unlike Friday, I drove past LGA twice last month on a weekday, morning & afternoon - traffic was moving very nicey on the Grand Central Pkwy, moderate backup on the interior service roads - hundreds of yellow taxis in the "holding pen" just off the parkway near the 82nd. Street ramp - the difference, not having snow on the ground & sidewalks.

However, keep in mind that there're massive flight CX and delays at all 3 area airports, along with diverted in-bounds to other northeast area airports. We had friends on a TPAC long-haul flight that was scheduled to land on Thursday around 1 PM, circled around after a 12 hour non-stop and finally went to Dulles (IAD) being critical ow on fuel at 4 PM. Took off again and finally allowed all the pax & luggage to come off at 8 PM at JFK. Its typical 5 PM return with 2 fresh set of crews never was delayed until 1 AM, finally wheels up in the morning at 7 AM from JFK for its 13 hour run. Just one story to share - the perils of traveling with weather being the elements beyond anyone's control.

The Airtrain does not go to Penn Station. It goes to Jamaica, where you have to transfer to the Long Island Railroad or the subway.

You can also take the Airtrain to Howard Beach instead of Jamaica. Transfer to the A train (NYC Subway) which will take you to either Penn Station (34th Street - 8th Ave) or even better the next stop 42nd St - 8th Ave (Port Authority Bus Terminal). From there it's either a short walk or taxi ride to the Passenger Ship Terminal @ 50th and 12th Ave.

Instead of putting all your eggs in one airport basket - check other options of flying into Baltimore Washington

Philly Hartford White Plains Groton New London New Haven and even Boston if it is cheaper AND then resort to

taking Amtrak to NYC Penn Station ? and a cab ride to the cruise terminal or hotel for a one night precruise stay.

Beware of weather and other seasonal delays - one wreck at any airport may tie things up for hours of snafu.

Of course this could happen with rail service. Then again flying you have to buy your bargain fare ticket many

weeks in advance and the weather odds are unpredictable. Got a magic *8* ball or crystal ball ? May the Force

be with you !

So many factors to factor in. So was it such a good idea to take a cruise out of NYC anyway - one thing for

sure BUY THAT INSURANCE underwritten by Murphy cause his laws always spell trouble - big time trouble -

trouble of every kind and sort - unimaginable trouble ! If you are still convinced to take the cruise against all

bets then you must be Phileas Fogg - remember that guy from 'Around the World in 80 Days' !

So much for humor --- plan your travels with flexible options - alternatives what if the EWR-NYC tunnels flood -

what if the GW Bridge has another event - you can't crow fly across the Hudson - helicopters are only for the

very very rich political folks. So go ahead and plan the bargain budget to get those eggs on board.

Avoid having a Humpty Dumpty pit fall with ill timed misconnections and a horse in the back of the cart.

Time permitting consider Amtrak - might cost a bit more but trains run better than airplanes in foul weather

and they arrive much closer to the cruise terminal than all the airports PERIOD !

You can also take the Airtrain to Howard Beach instead of Jamaica. Transfer to the A train (NYC Subway) which will take you to either Penn Station (34th Street - 8th Ave) or even better the next stop 42nd St - 8th Ave (Port Authority Bus Terminal). From there it's either a short walk or taxi ride to the Passenger Ship Terminal @ 50th and 12th Ave.

The E train from JFK is faster to either of those stations, and actually stops at 50th too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That too is an excellent alternative. You would take the Airtrain to the Jamaica LIRR terminal. After that you have to walk through the Jamaica LIRR station to the E train. From there it is about 1/2 hour ride to 50th street. Regarding the A train that too stops at 50th therefore you are good either way.

The cost is either way is $7.75 (5.00 for the Airtrain and $2.75 for the Subway).

That too is an excellent alternative. You would take the Airtrain to the Jamaica LIRR terminal. After that you have to walk through the Jamaica LIRR station to the E train. From there it is about 1/2 hour ride to 50th street. Regarding the A train that too stops at 50th therefore you are good either way.

The cost is either way is $7.75 (5.00 for the Airtrain and $2.75 for the Subway).

The A train does not stop at 50th street. It stops at 42, then goes to 59th.

The E train from JFK is faster to either of those stations, and actually stops at 50th too.

Hi, I am planning to take the E train from JFK to 50th, stay around Time Square for one night and catch the westbound M50 bus at W 49th & 7th to cruise terminal the next day. Am I allow to take my suitcase onto M50 bus? It is the size that would fit into the carryon overhead compartment on the plane. TIA.

Hi, I am planning to take the E train from JFK to 50th, stay around Time Square for one night and catch the westbound M50 bus at W 49th & 7th to cruise terminal the next day. Am I allow to take my suitcase onto M50 bus? It is the size that would fit into the carryon overhead compartment on the plane. TIA.

You are allowed to take the suitcase on the bus. Depending on what day & what time you get on, may not be that full, easier ride that way. If bus is crowded you may have to wait for the next one. But if you're talking a weekend, I think you'll be fine.

Enjoy your cruise!

... E train from JFK to 50th ... catch the westbound M50 bus at W 49th & 7th ... my suitcase onto M50 bus? It is the size that would fit into the carryon overhead ...
You will be fine with even with a 25" roller or spinner plus backpack, especially on weekends - both the subways & the M50 cross-town bus - you do the lifting up & down, some of the nicer bus driver might even lower the front boarding ramp for you. Always remember to smile, say good morning or what not & thank you - it goes a long way in the friendly Big Apple. There's a free MTA app to help check schedule & routes, alerts on last minute changes & disruption, unexpected or otherwise, download ahead & use if you have a smartphone. "MTA Bus Time" is a free mobile browser shortcut to find E.T.A. for the next bus en route at your bus stop using real-time GPS technologies, very useful especially in adverse weather.

From JFK, the AirTrain is free among terminals but $5 p/p collected when exiting at Howard Beach station on one end - the other end of the is Jamaica/LIRR station. Howard Beach's A subway line is local service, especially weekends with 20+ station stops into Manhattan and slow at 1+ hour. E subway line at Jamaica is express/limited stops, as noted above with travel time of 30 minutes if system services are smoothly running. Either lines are easy with finding seats and space for your luggage, please do not take up an extra seat with carry-on as NY Transit Police can & do issue summons for it, even when the subway cars are half empty as is often the case on weekends. Near the MetroCard kiosks, there are oversized system maps & local neighborhood maps so easy to find your way around.

Lastly, if you do not have a MetroCard for the fares, you will pay $1 extra initially to get one, and up to 4 travelers can share & swipe it for the trip, including free bus-subway transfer - be sure to have enough funds stored on the card ... cash, debit & cash card accpeted for these transactions. Hudson News (newstand) inside the airport terminals also sell MetroCard as those arriving at LGA will need them to board the city buses - 2 of them are SBS bus services, meaning that you prepaid the fare using a MetroCard & get a printed receipt before getting on the bus, no need to show it to the driver - however, MTA inspectors (police) frequently & regularly board these SBS buses in teams of 4 to 6 at a time to quickly check each & everyone onboard for having valid fares paid (this is at/for LGA only).

I've read this thread and have done a bit of research, but still have some questions.

I will be flying from Newark on a Thurs after disembarking in New York. We will likely have 2 suitcases each. The AirTrain sounds nice but seems as tho there's transferring involved which might be cumbersome with luggage (maybe not even feasible?)

There's a 11:45am and 7pm flight that I am looking at. After all the reading, I'm thinking 11:45 is out. It's hard to imagine traffic so congested you can't go 20 miles in 2 hours!

I will look into car service which some mention is expensive; I don't know what is expensive?

If we took the 7PM flight, is there luggage storage at Newark? I don't know how early we can check luggage (I realize I have to check with airline) in for our flight. I was thinking then we could take the train back to the city for lunch/walking.

Has anyone taken an NCL highlight tour of NYC? I normally wouldn't even consider, but they say they take you to airport after tour (although no airport specification) so could be cheaper than car service?

I would appreciate any input/comments.

I have flown numerous times out of LGA and EWR. At one time it was a toss up in terms of delays, etc. However having flown in and out of LGA half a dozen times since the construction started it is hard to explain how congested and stressful it is. Let's say you are renting a car. First you get off the plane, then get your luggage which sometimes can take up to 1/2 hour. Then you go outside and have to take a big bus to the Marine Air terminal where you pick up the rental car shuttle. Start to finish this can easily take an hour. Then sit in traffic trying to get out of the airport it can take quite a bit longer. Of course this might not apply to cruisers personally but it gives you an idea of the construction headaches. So....our next cruise we are flying into EWR to cruise out of the Manhattan Cruise terminal. Yes it is further away and yes the traffic (depending upon the time of day) can be bad and yes it is expensive but I just want to stay clear of LGA for now. The only thing I know is that the traffic around JFK can be bad also and it is further away. In other words pick the best schedule for you and go with it. As for waiting until 7pm to catch a flight at EWR there is a Marriott right at the airport within walking distance and they have a nice restaurant there. You can always get a meal there and then go to the terminal.

Yesterday they tried putting in a new traffic pattern at LGA. Needless to say, it didn't work at all. They are advising passengers to not just arrive 90 minutes before their flights - but now an additional 90 minutes on top of that. Doesn't look like this problem will be alleviated anytime in the near future.

... flying from Newark on a Thurs after disembarking in New York. We will likely have 2 suitcases each ... thinking 11:45 is out. It's hard to imagine traffic so congested you can't go 20 miles in 2 hours! I will look into car service which some mention is expensive; I don't know what is expensive? ... is there luggage storage at Newark? I don't know how early we can check luggage ... then we could take the train back to the city for lunch/walking.

Has anyone taken an NCL highlight tour of NYC? I normally wouldn't even consider, but they say they take you to airport after tour ...

If you haven't book your airline tickets, make sure you factor in the costs of ground transportation to come up with the real numbers.

It makes no sense to go out to EWR with luggage & then come back to NYC for a few hours - assuming your ship comes in early/on time and you are outside the terminal by 8:30 or 9 AM ... you would lost up to 3 hours doing this round-trip, plus one more one-way run to EWR for the evening departure. It's recommended that you are at EWR to complete check-in, clear TSA and board at least 2 hours prior, 2.5 or 3 hours being better (thus 4 PM & no later than 4:30 PM) + 60 to 90 minutes for getting out to the airport. Schwartz Luggage has paid luggage storage, reasonable rates near 37th Street & 8th. Avenue, it's a long walk but a quick taxi ride over from Pier 88 or Pier 90 with luggage. Sightsee for the day & return to get your baggage, use one of two major car service - Carmel or Dial7 to take you out to EWR.

Rough ballpark #'s - we have more specifics in the East Coast Departure forum ... about $100 to $120 for the trip to EWR (1-way) and about $15 to Schwartz from the Pier, another $25 to $40 for storing 4 pcs. of luggage. Getting around town, either walk or use subways and buses.

Do you really need 2 suitcases per person plus a carry-on or cabin bag? NCL has laundry specials - we travel overseas with a 22" roller and a 18" backpack, mix-n-match & easy in warmer climate/places being visited. Outerwear like parka or 3-season jackets can be hand-carried ... making the AirTrain options more practical.

Not seeing your NCL cruise info - their airport transfer for the GEM (we are sailing this May) is $99 p/p for flights after 3 or 4 PM but only for LGA or JFK, it is NOT doing EWR - besides, it's a "drive-by" as everyone will be staying on the bus going past landmarks hightlighted.

As a general rule, United (they own/control up to 70% of the gates/flights at EWR) will allow check-in 4 hours prior to departure ... sometimes, curbside check-in will do it sooner (haven't flown EWR & UA in a while).

If all these are a PITA to you, and, it is - you can consider plan C, stay onboard the ship & be among the last to come off, use the color coded tag system and retrieve the bags inside the terminal, let the herds fight their way out in the early AM madeness. Say, you get clear CBP & outside by 10:30 or 11 AM (if there are unexpected, worst than usual delays, could be 11: 30 or even 12 noon) - make your way to EWR directly, hop on to the free Marriott hotel shuttle as Peachypooh, a 5 minute ride over. We've done quite a few Sunday brunches there over the years - very nice - an easy & relaxing way for the afteroon & store the bags with the bellhop in the lobby. You can then hop back on the hotel shuttle in the late afteroon to do the rest.

Check to see if you have airline club/lounge access, it's often complimentary with affinity credit card - day pass was $50 p/p and might be worth it - but it's airside beyond security. If the flight was later that evening, then possibly a day room at one of the airport hotel might make sense - but probably not worth it for 6 to 7 hours.

This is so much more info/help that I could have hoped for! Thank you so much. You have given me a lot to think about.

I chuckled at you question if I booked air yet. Fortunately, I learned to years ago to research before booking anything! Yes, I should have put in cruise info. I am planning the Bliss Inaugural next April from Southampton to NY which is 4/18. I have plenty of time to sort everything out.

Newark has the only nonstop to my home airport (not a major city) and the 7PM is the only option. In thinking about what you said, I will consider others. Ironically, LGA has some decent flights/connections in addition to an AMEX Centurion Lounge and 2 Delta Lounges. There's always other considerations such as tight connections, but I'll figure it out. From what I read about LGA, 12:30PM doesn't seem like enough time from disembarkation. I may do a 4PM, but really don't get in much before the 7PM direct.

One thing I have ruled out is anything but car service or Uber from the port. (It doesn't matter how light I am willing to travel; traveling companions will not do so). I haven't seen much written about Uber but I haven't done much research yet. I have used it in other cities with excellent results.

Again, I really appreciate your helpful and thorough response.

If you haven't book your airline tickets, make sure you factor in the costs of ground transportation to come up with the real numbers.

It makes no sense to go out to EWR with luggage & then come back to NYC for a few hours - assuming your ship comes in early/on time and you are outside the terminal by 8:30 or 9 AM ... you would lost up to 3 hours doing this round-trip, plus one more one-way run to EWR for the evening departure. It's recommended that you are at EWR to complete check-in, clear TSA and board at least 2 hours prior, 2.5 or 3 hours being better (thus 4 PM & no later than 4:30 PM) + 60 to 90 minutes for getting out to the airport. Schwartz Luggage has paid luggage storage, reasonable rates near 37th Street & 8th. Avenue, it's a long walk but a quick taxi ride over from Pier 88 or Pier 90 with luggage. Sightsee for the day & return to get your baggage, use one of two major car service - Carmel or Dial7 to take you out to EWR.

Rough ballpark #'s - we have more specifics in the East Coast Departure forum ... about $100 to $120 for the trip to EWR (1-way) and about $15 to Schwartz from the Pier, another $25 to $40 for storing 4 pcs. of luggage. Getting around town, either walk or use subways and buses.

Do you really need 2 suitcases per person plus a carry-on or cabin bag? NCL has laundry specials - we travel overseas with a 22" roller and a 18" backpack, mix-n-match & easy in warmer climate/places being visited. Outerwear like parka or 3-season jackets can be hand-carried ... making the AirTrain options more practical.

Not seeing your NCL cruise info - their airport transfer for the GEM (we are sailing this May) is $99 p/p for flights after 3 or 4 PM but only for LGA or JFK, it is NOT doing EWR - besides, it's a "drive-by" as everyone will be staying on the bus going past landmarks hightlighted.

As a general rule, United (they own/control up to 70% of the gates/flights at EWR) will allow check-in 4 hours prior to departure ... sometimes, curbside check-in will do it sooner (haven't flown EWR & UA in a while).

If all these are a PITA to you, and, it is - you can consider plan C, stay onboard the ship & be among the last to come off, use the color coded tag system and retrieve the bags inside the terminal, let the herds fight their way out in the early AM madeness. Say, you get clear CBP & outside by 10:30 or 11 AM (if there are unexpected, worst than usual delays, could be 11: 30 or even 12 noon) - make your way to EWR directly, hop on to the free Marriott hotel shuttle as Peachypooh, a 5 minute ride over. We've done quite a few Sunday brunches there over the years - very nice - an easy & relaxing way for the afteroon & store the bags with the bellhop in the lobby. You can then hop back on the hotel shuttle in the late afteroon to do the rest.

Check to see if you have airline club/lounge access, it's often complimentary with affinity credit card - day pass was $50 p/p and might be worth it - but it's airside beyond security. If the flight was later that evening, then possibly a day room at one of the airport hotel might make sense - but probably not worth it for 6 to 7 hours.

One thing I have ruled out is anything but car service or Uber from the port. (It doesn't matter how light I am willing to travel; traveling companions will not do so). I haven't seen much written about Uber but I haven't done much research yet. I have used it in other cities with excellent results.

Uber in NY is great. The drivers all work for a bunch of companies - Uber, Juno, Via. From talking to some they all seem to prefer Juno as they get a larger percentage of the fare than what Uber gives them. Also, Juno is cheaper than Uber. I only use Juno now.

I arrange travel at work, including car service. This is a message from one of the car service companies we use, and others advice of the same:

Changes in LaGuardia Airport Service

To all clients:

As of August 11, 2016:

With the long-term construction and the resulting traffic atLaGuardia Airport, we have to modify service options:

For Passenger Pick Ups:

• No Inside Meet & Greet service. The cause is no parking.
  • The On Demand, Standby and Outside Reservation options are available but will require additional response time during peak hours such as from 5 PM to 9 PM

For Passenger Drop Offs:

• Add extra travel time both to reach the airport and pass through TSA screening upon arrival.

Recommendations:

• Use Newark Liberty International (EWR) and John F Kennedy (JFK) airports whenever alternate flight choices are available.

As far as the Airtrain from JFK...I'm a New Yorker and find it a pain in the @$$...I wouldn't recommend it to a tourist. Most the clients (also New Yorkers) I arrange travel for prefer Newark if using public transportation. The Airtrain leaves you in Penn Station which is in the West Side of NYC withing 30min. There are plenty of yellow cabs...grab one to the NCL port.

Under normal circumstances, I personally prefer LGA for the convenience...but I have to agree with another post...NY airports are a mess...both LGA and JFK.

I hope all our suggestions help...Happy Sailings! :cool:

I arrange travel for prefer Newark if using public transportation. The Airtrain leaves you in Penn Station which is in the West Side of NYC withing 30min. There are plenty of yellow cabs...grab one to the NCL port.

The EWR AirTrain only takes you from the airport terminals to the Amtrak/NJ Transit Newark Airport station. From there you have to take an Amtrak or NJ Transit train to get to NY Penn Station. Other than being a shorter trip it's no easier than taking the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica and then transferring to the Long Island Railroad, which also takes you into NY Penn Station, or a subway to get to the West Side of Manhattan.

The EWR AirTrain only takes you from the airport terminals to the Amtrak/NJ Transit Newark Airport station. From there you have to take an Amtrak or NJ Transit train to get to NY Penn Station. Other than being a shorter trip it's no easier than taking the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica and then transferring to the Long Island Railroad, which also takes you into NY Penn Station, or a subway to get to the West Side of Manhattan.

I grew up in Queens and lived in LI...LIRR trains aren't reliable & I never felt safe at the Jamaica terminal. I did that route once when my child was younger. Again, my personal preference.

The executives I assist also prefer the commute to/from EWR.

But everyone has their preferences and valid points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

I grew up in Queens and lived in LI...LIRR trains aren't reliable & I never felt safe at the Jamaica terminal. I did that route once when my child was younger. Again, my personal preference.

The executives I assist also prefer the commute to/from EWR.

But everyone has their preferences and valid points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

If you think NJ Transit is any more reliable than the LIRR, you're mistaken...their on-time record is awful...and NJ Transit still doesn't have the safety equipment in place to help prevent crashes that is required by the federal government . I have no idea if the LIRR has it, but the point is that neither railroad is that great. Oh, and I've lived on both LI and in NJ and ridden both railroads more times than I can count, so I have years of personal experience with both.

That aside, my main point is that you were providing incorrect information when you said the EWR AirTrain will take you to Penn Station, because it doesn't. You still have to change trains just as you do if taking the JFK AirTrain.

If you think NJ Transit is any more reliable than the LIRR, you're mistaken...their on-time record is awful...and NJ Transit still doesn't have the safety equipment in place to help prevent crashes that is required by the federal government . I have no idea if the LIRR has it, but the point is that neither railroad is that great. Oh, and I've lived on both LI and in NJ and ridden both railroads more times than I can count, so I have years of personal experience with both.

That aside, my main point is that you were providing incorrect information when you said the EWR AirTrain will take you to Penn Station, because it doesn't. You still have to change trains just as you do if taking the JFK AirTrain.

You are right, I am wrong...I will unsubscribe to this thread.