New York Airport - Which one?

suntan

Bottom line is that all New York area airports suck. I'm a pilot for a major airline and regularly fly into all 3 airports. They are a crapshoot. In my experience La Guardia is the worst one (too small for the amount of traffic it handles. One little glitch and the whole place goes to....).

As others mentioned, book a flight to the airport that gives you the best pricing and is most convenient to you. The difference in price and ground transportation time is negligible in my opinion. And do fly in at least one day prior to the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

JFK. Airtrain to Penn station and then a quick cab ride to the port.

I disagree with some here. LGA is a mess and is prone to delays way more then JFK. I try not to even look at anything in or out of LGA. And that was before the construction mess. :eek:

JFK has the Airtrain service-a big plus.

Newark??? No way would I find that easier or closer but that's just me.

I disagree with some here. LGA is a mess and is prone to delays way more then JFK. I try not to even look at anything in or out of LGA. And that was before the construction mess. :eek:

The Airtrain does not go to Penn Station. It goes to Jamaica, where you have to transfer to the Long Island Railroad or the subway.

If you fly the day before, and you pack light, try flying into Newark. Stay at the weehawken Sheraton (much cheaper than NYC after calculating the ny hotel tax). The ny waterway ferry leaves from in front of the hotel and drops you off 10 blocks south of the ship. I love taking a boat to the boat, and love the walk along the Hudson.

My daughter and I are going Princess Regal I believe it is in October to NE/Canada. Have done this 3x b4 but last time out of Red Hook and once Manhatten terminal. I would prefer to fly in morning of for the obvious reasons (mainly cost and don't want to spend time in NYC). My daughter however would love to see NYC and if she's willing to splurge for a nite or 2 prior to Sat cruise we'll do that. Open to suggestions Inc the Weehaekin idea. I think that sounds fun personally.

It's not necessarily easier, but I believe it is actually the closest airport.

Another option for all three-- they all have airport buses that go to port authority for around $14-17 one way, and then a quick cab or walk to the pier.

We try to fly Southwest whenever possible and know they go to LGA. Not sure about EWR but honestly never heard anything good about coming into that airport. We're from Dallas area btw.

Then you haven't been paying attention to what's happening at LGA. It's a total nightmare.

Southwest does fly to EWR.

Newark is not closer then Laguardia. Laguardia is your closest airport even with construction going on. JFK is farther then Laguardia on the same parkway ( Grand Central Parkway). Both are in Queens NY. Newark is in Newark NJ.

Better yet Newark as it is closer to port and you can take the air train into the city.

While you can take a train into the city, it's not an "air train". The train gets you to Penn Station - so you will have to then get a taxi to get to the pier. It would be easier to just get a taxi from JFK or LGA (which, while somewhat closer, is undergoing construction which can sometimes wind up taking longer).

If you are traveling with carry-on only, changing from train to taxi is not much of a problem, but is an extra hassle with large bags.

Newark is not closer then Laguardia. Laguardia is your closest airport even with construction going on. JFK is farther then Laguardia on the same parkway ( Grand Central Parkway). Both are in Queens NY. Newark is in Newark NJ.

They asked about New York airports.

Newark isn't in New York.

They asked about New York airports.

Newark isn't in New York.

You sound like Fiorello La Guardia - he bought a plane ticket from Chicago to "New York"; and when the plane landed at Newark airport, he refused to get off until the airline arranged for transportation to New York City --- the end of the story is La Guardia airport.

You sound like Fiorello La Guardia - he bought a plane ticket from Chicago to "New York"; and when the plane landed at Newark airport, he refused to get off until the airline arranged for transportation to New York City --- the end of the story is La Guardia airport.

:)I'm familiar with the story.

I'm kind surprised that LaGuardia Airport hasn't been shut down yet.

Sitting at JFK now, only moderate delays with Nor-easter storm, LGA is another story due to its much shorter runways. We live across the Flushing Bay, a short drive (so LGA is logical) but always choose JFK with that extra 20 to 40 minutes drive, summer storms are common. LGA traffic mess improving, its NYC that's unpredictable and Trump's will commuting to/from LGA to DC. Car service fares, maybe $15 higher with JFK. But, if flying in day of sailing - get insurance & not just count on luck - alas, no easy/simple answer, it's the calculus game. Figure out your fares and backup flight schedule in case of IRREG's (like here below)

29eb40d0d274126c0e6817e9178495ec.jpg

sent from Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.1 via Tapatalk, VPN secured

Exactly! I live 15 minutes from LGA and always fly out of JFK.

Then you haven't been paying attention to what's happening at LGA. It's a total nightmare.

Southwest does fly to EWR.

I have no idea what's happening @ LG anymore than you prob know what goes on @ Dallas Love Field. That's why I'm posting on this forum. I wish PCL had the good sense to go out of Boston but alas that's another cruise line and I'm a loyal Princess offender. [emoji13]

You're right. It's 13 miles to JFK, 11 miles to Newark, and less than 6 to LGA-- I guess because it's such a pain to get to that I really thought it was much more than 6!!

• 3 weeks later...
No matter which airport you choose, come in 1 day early if possible. To much of a hassle to do it same day. What if plane arrives late. What if traffic is nasty.

NCL does offer transfers if you book flights and/or hotels through them. We've done that.

Thanks Barb for your post. I'm going to firm up my plans this week for a cruise in August. I've heard from co-workers that LGA is a mess because of the construction. JFK it is then.

Thank you to everyone who posted a response to my question.

I'm going to firm up my plans this week for a cruise in August. I've heard from co-workers that LGA is a mess because of the construction. JFK it is then.

Thank you to everyone who posted a response to my question.

Just 2 days ago LGA was all over the news, showing people getting out of taxis/cars with their luggage and walking up to 1 mile to get into/out of the airport. They even showed pilots running from the Grand Central Pkwy to the airport to catch their flights! I would no doubt stay away from LGA at all costs. It may cost a bit more to fly into JFK, but I would avoid LGA until the construction is finished. Good decision with JFK.

Just 2 days ago LGA was all over the news, showing people getting out of taxis/cars with their luggage and walking up to 1 mile to get into/out of the airport. They even showed pilots running from the Grand Central Pkwy to the airport to catch their flights! I would no doubt stay away from LGA at all costs. It may cost a bit more to fly into JFK, but I would avoid LGA until the construction is finished. Good decision with JFK.

This is why I cruise from NYC in February. Avoid northeast airports in winter-- some of the issues at LGA this week were weather ON TOP of the construction delays. It's generally bad, but not THAT bad (as soon as I saw this on the news, I checked my April flight because I couldn't remember where I booked it-- yep, LGA outbound. Leaving VERY early for this one!)