How do upgrades work?

2cmu92

If I sign up for an upgrade to a balcony, can it be anywhere on the ship? Do I have a chance to refuse if I don't like the location?

Yes anywhere. Yes you can refuse. We have been given a choice of cabin numbers.

You will most likely have to make the choice while on the phone.

Are you booked through a TA or direct with Princess?

There have been instances where the passenger cabin was changed and their old cabin was gone without their knowledge.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Once when we were booked directly with Princess we got a great upgrade but nobody told us about it. I found out by checking the cruise personalizer on the Princess site. If I hadn't done that I would have arrived expecting to be in an IF category. We were actually upgraded to a B2 category.

It's nice to hear that upgrades are still happening rather than upsells only. Our last cruise we were offered an upsell and took it.

Since you have been offered an upgrade to a balcony, if you don't care for the location offered you "may" be able to get the same category of balcony in a different location. Obviously this is a pretty big "may" but, depending on how far out your cruise is it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Thrak

We arrived at San Francisco port to find we had been upgraded from obstructed ocean view to balcony when we checked in - with no prior knowledge and no chance to accept or decline - luckily we were very happy with ours - not sure what would have happened had we not been!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We arrived at San Francisco port to find we had been upgraded from obstructed ocean view to balcony when we checked in - with no prior knowledge and no chance to accept or decline - luckily we were very happy with ours - not sure what would have happened had we not been!

This new cabin information/change would have been listed in the your booking on the personalizer (bag tags/travel summary) which can be accessed up to sailing day. Probably done in the 72 hours preceding your cruise.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It's interesting to read these comments. I don't know if Princess Australia operate differently but I usually do my bookings direct with Princess. When handling my last booking I nominated a particular cabin and was asked if I was to be included in the possibility of an upgrade and when I asked if I could refuse it (if I didn't like it) after it was 'offered' I was told no I would have to take it. As I said very interesting.

This new cabin information/change would have been listed in the your booking on the personalizer (bag tags/travel summary) which can be accessed up to sailing day. Probably done in the 72 hours preceding your cruise.

That is possible as we left the U.K. 3 days before and had not had full internet access so for us it was a complete surprise - does this mean if you don't respond they do it anyway ?

That is possible as we left the U.K. 3 days before and had not had full internet access so for us it was a complete surprise - does this mean if you don't respond they do it anyway ?

Upgrades don't require a response...Princess just does it. They'll send you or your TA an email (maybe).

Upsells require a response. If you don't call, they move on to someone else.

This means if you allow for upgrades then you get what you get.

Some people state only Meta upgrade and I *think* it means only category up but I don't really know.

We usually pick our cabin and stick with it. Twice we've said okay to upgrade and they moved us once from category MF to MB. So that was awesome. However there have been some horror stories. So we lucked out... maybe... haven't gone on the cruise yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they may have not even tried to contact you.

For security reasons (CBP-Customs and Border Protection) the passenger list is usually finalized at least 24-48 hours prior to the cruise.

It would be very rare to have a cabin change at the pier.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I'm booked with a TA, but they were not notified of our upgrade. I pulled up my booking and saw that our cabin assignment had been changed, no clue when it happened. BA to an ME, so I didn't complain.

When we checked in at the pier for QM2, we were informed that our cabin assignment had changed from a Princess Grill stateroom to a full suite. I had looked at our booking the previous night, so it was done less than 24 hours prior to sailing.

I refrained from bursting into loud cheers and a tap dance.

Yes they may have not even tried to contact you.

For security reasons (CBP-Customs and Border Protection) the passenger list is usually finalized at least 24-48 hours prior to the cruise.

One of my of our cases and some other documentation was delivered to our original cabin and our names were still on the original door! Since this was only our second ever cruise and our first with princess just went with the flow - !! Doubt we will ever be so lucky again - but thanks for the clarification and explanations.

One of my of our cases and some other documentation was delivered to our original cabin and our names were still on the original door! Since this was only our second ever cruise and our first with princess just went with the flow - !! Doubt we will ever be so lucky again - but thanks for the clarification and explanations.

Its pretty common for the name on the cabin and documentation to still go to the old cabin. We have had that happen before as well when the change was made close to sailing day.

Strange as it sounds, it seems the ship does not get real time late cabin changes like that. Probably not until sailing day for the final list.

Great upgrade though! :)

Upgrades don't require a response...Princess just does it. They'll send you or your TA an email (maybe).

Upsells require a response. If you don't call, they move on to someone else.

We received such an email last week for our March 12th Regal cruise. From a balcony to Mini-Suite for $99/pp. We called our TA and by the time he got back to us (two days), the offer had expired (meaning others beat us!). So it is on a first call, first receive basis!

Don't delay if you want to take advantage.

We received such an email last week for our March 12th Regal cruise. From a balcony to Mini-Suite for $99/pp. We called our TA and by the time he got back to us (two days), the offer had expired (meaning others beat us!). So it is on a first call, first receive basis!

I would call the T/A and demand an onboard credit for the upgrade amount! They were asleep! Find another agent and tell them!

On our last cruise, Nov 2015) we were offered an upswll directly from princess, so we were able to get it!

Anyway, talk to you agent!

Our Travel agent called us twice with an offer to upgrade. First time was three months before sailing. Change from our favorite mini E731 to a full suite for $499 pp. No thanks. On December 1st, 4:00 pm in the afternoon, TA calls my cell and says Princess wants our cabin and my girls cabin (R731). They offered a family suite plus $2100.00 onboard credit. Need answer now because Princess is going down a list and it's first come first serve. Hmm, 3, 2, 1....YES!

The only negative about the family suite is the balcony. The two available are forward, first cabins on Dolphin. When underway, wind can be over 30-40 knots, which makes the balcony hard to use and at night when the ship may pick up a little speed and the wind picks up, the balcony furniture starts to do their own wind dancing banging into the bulkhead. Suite perks made it all worth while.

I would take the upgrade again even without the onboard credit. Great cruise!!

The TA dropped the ball. Not cool. :(

CBP needs the name and other ID information about the passengers. They do not care what cabin the passengers are in.

Also, the list needs to be complete only a couple of hours before scheduled departure. That is why passengers who had not filled out the required information in the Personalize cannot wait until the last minute to check-in, but must be checked-in by that deadline.

Edited by caribill

Is there a way to politely ask for an upgrade?

We are sailing in 7 weeks. It's a *big* birthday for me and this will be our 2nd trip with Princess. I would just love to be upgraded, even to a mini suite, from our regular balcony cabin. What are my chances?

Edited by FLpalmtree

Is there a way to politely ask for an upgrade?

We are sailing in 7 weeks. It's a *big* birthday for me and this will be our 2nd trip with Princess. I would just love to be upgraded, even to a mini suite, from our regular balcony cabin. What are my chances?

I always wait about 30 days before the cruise and call customer service and ask for a supervisor, they are the only ones who can work on a upgrade. I please my case, etc. and of course very politely. Two times I have been upgraded, once from a mini to a full and once from a balcony to a mini. Normally I do not get the upgrade, but I always try.

I always wait about 30 days before the cruise and call customer service and ask for a supervisor, they are the only ones who can work on a upgrade. I please my case, etc. and of course very politely. Two times I have been upgraded, once from a mini to a full and once from a balcony to a mini. Normally I do not get the upgrade, but I always try.

Thank you so much for sharing! Much appreciated :)

That could be worth a shot. No harm in trying. Thanks for sharing your technique.