My Family Time Dining

SamFritz

We are long time Royal cruisers, but will be using the "Family Time Dining" with our four year old for the first time. Is there anything I should know or pay special attention to about the process of this service. It sounds like a great solution to wanting to balance family time with the attention/sitting still span of a little one. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, has anyone even used this service? If so were you happy with it? My understanding is that they hurry the child's meal out while everyone else is enjoying appetizers and soups. Then, before the main courses come out, a childcare worker picks up your child at the MDR and whisks them away to Adventure Ocean so you can enjoy the rest of your meal. Does that sound right? Does it work?

That's basically it. It's been 5 years since we used it but a couple of things that we found,

You had to take your child to the pick up point at the front of the MDR (may have to leave your hot app)

They were late in picking up a couple times

A couple nights the kids were really rushed and just had to get a cookie for dessert that they could take with them.

I'm sure that there have been lots of positive experiences as well but things do vary.

So, has anyone even used this service? If so were you happy with it? My understanding is that they hurry the child's meal out while everyone else is enjoying appetizers and soups. Then, before the main courses come out, a childcare worker picks up your child at the MDR and whisks them away to Adventure Ocean so you can enjoy the rest of your meal. Does that sound right? Does it work?

Yes. My daughter used it last week on Allure. Grand Daughter got her meal right away and they picked up the kids by one of the doors to dining room. Back 15+ yrs ago I'd have to my kid to Ocean Adventure in middle of my meal, as single father was tough, this way works out better...

Edited by ONECRUISER

We use this for our kids and love it! My DH and I eat our appetizer and salad while our kids eat their entire meal. Then at the set time (usually 45 minutes after main seating starts) the Adventure Ocean staff will be at the front of the main dining room to take the kids to Adventire Ocean. While the kids play, my DH and I enjoy the rest of our dinner. It is a win - win for my family!

We use this for our kids and love it! My DH and I eat our appetizer and salad while our kids eat their entire meal. Then at the set time (usually 45 minutes after main seating starts) the Adventure Ocean staff will be at the front of the main dining room to take the kids to Adventire Ocean. While the kids play, my DH and I enjoy the rest of our dinner. It is a win - win for my family!

Glad to hear it seems to work well. We'll be on the Freedom if that makes any difference.

We are long time Royal cruisers, but will be using the "Family Time Dining" with our four year old for the first time. Is there anything I should know or pay special attention to about the process of this service. It sounds like a great solution to wanting to balance family time with the attention/sitting still span of a little one. Thanks.

My Family Time Dining is offered during first seating in MDR. Here are details and reservation info from RCI's website:

Opt for My Family Time Dining® in our main dining room, and your kids will be served right away before Adventure Ocean® staff pick them up for a night of fun. Parents stay behind to relax and continue their meal.

Details

My Family Time Dining is offered for the first seating time in our main dining room, for children ages three to 11. Kids enjoy their meal within 40 minutes of seating, before heading to the evening's Adventure Ocean activities. The program starts the second evening you're onboard. After that, you can use it each evening or whenever you wish.

Reservations

Already booked your cruise? You can easily pre-register online for My Family Time Dining right now. Or, visit the Adventure Ocean Youth Program area while onboard to sign up.

Have a great cruise! :)

My Family Time Dining is offered during first seating in MDR. Here are details and reservation info from RCI's website:

Opt for My Family Time Dining[emoji768] in our main dining room, and your kids will be served right away before Adventure Ocean[emoji768] staff pick them up for a night of fun. Parents stay behind to relax and continue their meal.

Details

My Family Time Dining is offered for the first seating time in our main dining room, for children ages three to 11. Kids enjoy their meal within 40 minutes of seating, before heading to the evening's Adventure Ocean activities. The program starts the second evening you're onboard. After that, you can use it each evening or whenever you wish.

Reservations

Already booked your cruise? You can easily pre-register online for My Family Time Dining right now. Or, visit the Adventure Ocean Youth Program area while onboard to sign up.

Have a great cruise! :)

Thanks! [emoji3]

• 4 weeks later...

We are back from the trip. The Family Time Dining was perfect. Being able to share the meal with our little guy, but not forcing him to endure the full extent of the MDR experience really added to our overall enjoyment of the cruise. There were no problems with the details, and the quality of the care was great.

• Like 1

We are back from the trip. The Family Time Dining was perfect. Being able to share the meal with our little guy, but not forcing him to endure the full extent of the MDR experience really added to our overall enjoyment of the cruise. There were no problems with the details, and the quality of the care was great.

Thank you for the report on how it went 😊 I'll be using this service for my 6 year old on Allure in May. Thanks!

we are going to give it a try for our cruise next month. one thing my guy asked me, though, the kids CAN order off of the regular menu, right? Not a kids menu? Honestly, I don't even know what kind of kids menu there is, but from what we've learned, kids menus are normally just the standard chicken nuggets and grilled cheese. I'm hoping it's better on a cruise ship? I'm assuming... But our boys generally just eat off of adult menus these days anyway because of healthier choices.

we are going to give it a try for our cruise next month. one thing my guy asked me, though, the kids CAN order off of the regular menu, right? Not a kids menu? Honestly, I don't even know what kind of kids menu there is, but from what we've learned, kids menus are normally just the standard chicken nuggets and grilled cheese. I'm hoping it's better on a cruise ship? I'm assuming... But our boys generally just eat off of adult menus these days anyway because of healthier choices.

Everyone (kids and non-kids) can order off the adult and/or kids menus.

what if you only want to sign up for this some of the nights? If you make My Time Dining reservations for a night, do you also have to sign up for My Family Time dining in order to get the kids signed into this program? We are travelling with a large group and will be making dining reservations for those that want to dine together so I'm wondering how I should set this up.

what if you only want to sign up for this some of the nights? If you make My Time Dining reservations for a night, do you also have to sign up for My Family Time dining in order to get the kids signed into this program? We are travelling with a large group and will be making dining reservations for those that want to dine together so I'm wondering how I should set this up.

Unless it's changed, My Family Time Dining requires you to be at traditional early dining.

Everyone (kids and non-kids) can order off the adult and/or kids menus.

DDIL never felt there were enough veggies served so ordered a plate of steamed veggies (usually broccoli) every night. We all loved the chicken noodle soup on the kids menu.

DDIL never felt there were enough veggies served so ordered a plate of steamed veggies (usually broccoli) every night. We all loved the chicken noodle soup on the kids menu.

Don't forget the Mini Brownie Madness!

They come to pick up the kids one hour after the start of the main seating. On this trip we had to bring our boy out at 6:25. They were always in time and ready to take whoever was there.

Unless it's changed, My Family Time Dining requires you to be at traditional early dining.

Oh really?! i didnt realize this

They come to pick up the kids one hour after the start of the main seating. On this trip we had to bring our boy out at 6:25. They were always in time and ready to take whoever was there.

Do you mean even if you have My Time Dining and not Traditional? They come to the My Time Dining Room as well?

Oh really?! i didnt realize this

Do you mean even if you have My Time Dining and not Traditional? They come to the My Time Dining Room as well?

They meet the kids just outside the MDR (deck four on Freedom). You bring the kids there. I don't see why you couldn't do that with My Time, but I can't vouch for that.

Our experience with MFT was that it was actually earlier than early dining.

With normal early dining it was a bit of a rush to get the kiddo fed and to the counselor (the one or two nights he did it, and only because the same age girl at our table had done it a milllion times and led him to the kids club person).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used it once. It was not good. The food took so long the kids really could not eat properly by the pick up time so we would have to practically horsewhip them. Then maybe the adventure ocean staff would show up, maybe. We stopped using it after a few nights because it was so bad between slowness of food and flakiness of AO staff. They literally didn't show up to get the kids several nights.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

We will be traveling on the Anthem. My understanding is that Anthem has 4 complimentary restaurants instead of one MDR. So anyone ever traveled n Athen or similar ship? Which dining room is the MDR where the kids are picked up from. Also what time was the My Time Family Dining? I think 5:30. Does that sound correct? I am on the waiting list for early dining. Currently, I have My Time Dining. I want to make reservations for My Time at the same time as early dining so that if I don't get off the waitlist, the children can still be picked up from the dining room.

Hello,

We will be traveling on the Anthem. My understanding is that Anthem has 4 complimentary restaurants instead of one MDR. So anyone ever traveled n Athen or similar ship? Which dining room is the MDR where the kids are picked up from. Also what time was the My Time Family Dining? I think 5:30. Does that sound correct? I am on the waiting list for early dining. Currently, I have My Time Dining. I want to make reservations for My Time at the same time as early dining so that if I don't get off the waitlist, the children can still be picked up from the dining room.

You are correct, early dining is 5:30pm.

My understanding is that Anthem has 4 complimentary restaurants instead of one MDR. So anyone ever traveled n Athen or similar ship? Which dining room is the MDR where the kids are picked up from.

While the venues have 4 different names, since the elimination of Dynamic Dining last Nov, RCI treats it as one MDR (Oasis class ships have 3 names but it is still referred to as the MDR). Recent reports have MTD on deck 4 and you'll likely be in one of those two venues. You may want to work out the details upon boarding.