Belize safe??

rabbit72

What you see directly in front of the tender pier area, and especially to your left as you exit, is the congregation of tour excursion hawkers, attempting to get you to take a tour with their company. No different than many cruise ports on Caribbean islands and certainly 1000X better than any city in India. ;p Go right and they aren't there. Go two blocks and they disappear and you'll find just cruisers or locals going about their daily business. Walk around the Fort George area or across the swing bridge and down Albert Street or have lunch at Annie's Lunchbox or Nerie's and you may meet friendly local folks.
crewsweeper, Once again, you have exactly the info I am seeking! You might remember I responded to one of your posts on Maya Chan a week or so ago, and booked due to your expert advise. I will take this advise too, because we love to be around the locals. We also ventured out on our own in Honduras, and had the time of our lives. Yes, there were hawkers, but we just kept saying "No Thanks" until we made our way through them and had a ball. Found a tiny hole-in-the-wall restaurant owned by a little family. Great food! Poor area, but super sweet ppl. We took along another couple we'd met ziplining, for safety in numbers, but in retrospect would have been fine on our own:) (Also: If you could pick one, Annie's or Nerie's for reasonably priced local food in a cozy place?

The Bahamas is known for crime, lets compare Belize vs The Bahamas!

,,from nationmaster dot com,,,

violent crime Belize 89% more!

murders Belize 59% more!

drug use Belize 55% more!

The stats say Belize is dangerous!

A movie came out recently about a internet security guy who moved to Belize, and it spoke a lot about the crime/criminals in the area of the Belize City where the port is! It wasn't good!

So I'd definitely disagree with anyone saying its safe to walk around Belize City outside the port gates! I don't even know how safe it is inside the gates!-)

I absolutely loved Belize. We don't do ship sponsored excursions and always book independent. We went to the Community Baboon Sanctuary, Altun Ha, a nice place for lunch, stopped by a local school to donate supplies, and toured around. It was a great stop and one I'll definitely remember. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Belize ever. There were some great people there we met.

I've read mixed reviews about whether or not it is safe to go outside of O'Hare or MidWay in Chicago, or JFK in NYC, or Dulles in Washington, DC, or LAX in LA, or SFO in San Francisco. Should I fly to these cities?:confused:;p:p

So true - you just have to be aware no matter where you are.

Ambear, you are totally entitled to our opinion but when someone else posts a different opinion then you post only part of jagged statistics leaving out how Bahamas is much more dangerous than Belize for serious rapes and murder. You just happened to skip that part. As the neighbor of the internet security guard, I know Belize and I tell about the bad parts, but you seem to have an axe to grind not just a different opinion. You may want to ask yourself why. The McAfee movie was 100% fiction. Ask anyone in the country and they will tell you better stories than what the movie showed. Come visit me, I am sure you will not feel unsafe here.

Ambear, you are totally entitled to our opinion but when someone else posts a different opinion then you post only part of jagged statistics leaving out how Bahamas is much more dangerous than Belize for serious rapes and murder. You just happened to skip that part. As the neighbor of the internet security guard, I know Belize and I tell about the bad parts, but you seem to have an axe to grind not just a different opinion. You may want to ask yourself why. The McAfee movie was 100% fiction. Ask anyone in the country and they will tell you better stories than what the movie showed. Come visit me, I am sure you will not feel unsafe here.

Actually I didn't post just my opinion, but facts of violent crime in Belize!

I'm also not trying to change your mind!

People who have never been to Belize, asked 'is Belize safe', I would comment, No!

Then those people who haven't been to Belize, after hearing from those who feel it is safe, and hearing from those who don't feel its safe, can make up their own minds!

BTW no ax to grind, been to Belize 3 times just this year, and not likely to return because of our opinion its not safe! Seems likely some posting here that feel its safe, have something going on by the way they attack those who disagree with them!

I have been to Belize several times and never felt unsafe. Yes, crime does happen, but no more than in most ports and less than in most U S cities.

If all anyone knew of the area I live in was the local news, they would probably be scared to visit or go outside. There were 107 murders here last year, yet the city is on most “must visit” lists.

As long as people use common sense, don’t wander down side streets alone, don’t flash cash, jewelry, etc., they should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been to Belize several times and never felt unsafe. Yes, crime does happen, but no more than in most ports and less than in most U S cities.

If all anyone knew of the area I live in was the local news, they would probably be scared to visit or go outside. There were 107 murders here last year, yet the city is on most “must visit” lists.

As long as people use common sense, don’t wander down side streets alone, don’t flash cash, jewelry, etc., they should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The homicide rate in Belize is tied to the drug trade. Tourists rarely if ever get hurt in Belize.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent 12 days in Belize last February - had a great time

Did not ever feel unsafe during that time - also didn't often wear shoes, which was nice

Having said all of that - the only part of the mainland that we saw was the Belize City Airport - which is not bad - nicer than Grand Cayman (though that isn't saying much) - A few shops - can buy rum and your own coke zero and mix own drinks - nobody gave a darn about that

Ambergris Caye is very cool - if I were stopping on a cruise ship, I'd hop on a taxi to the airport - buy a ticket to AC and spend the day - the flight is 15-20 minutes and the island is very cool

High horse???? Rude? For pointing out the dangers of being a tourist in America? Much needed tourism to the area? Yes, we could use more tourism, just not cruise tourism. That brings very little revenue into Belize. Mainly because of people regurgitating the cruise hard line about how dangerous Belize is and cruisers are only safe if they go on cruiseline-sponsored excursions.

Why would you laugh? What point are you trying to make?

Belize is not for everyone, and for some spending the day on the boat should definitely be a consideration, but not necessarily because you are coming into Belize, but because a day on the ship isn't all bad. If you think you will be afraid, trust me, no one on a message board will likely reassure you that you will not be afraid. If you were afraid and you post on a message board that you were afraid, you will likely also alert cruisers who are looking for a reason to be afraid and believe the cruiseline hype to get everyone to spend their cruise dollars with them and not the local economy.

Janice

Funny, I see what the other poster meant.

• Like 1

I've read mixed reviews about whether or not it is safe to go outside of O'Hare or MidWay in Chicago, or JFK in NYC, or Dulles in Washington, DC, or LAX in LA, or SFO in San Francisco. Should I fly to these cities?:confused:;p:p

Dulles is surrounded by Beltway bandits!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We spent a week in Placencia two years ago, then DH spent a week there this spring, and we were never worried about safety. We have friends who live there about half the year and met tons of expats plus so many truly lovely local people. We toured the Spice Farm, did one of the chocolate tours, and we went to see Marie Sharp's factory (hot sauces and jellies) on our own. It's a beautiful country with friendly people.

I do think you need to exercise basic caution in Belize City just like you would in any other area. My own town isn't that big and we have our good and bad parts.

• 2 months later...

DW and I have been there twice, in the last 3 yrs, and am booked on a cruise..going through there in Feb.

Have read all that has been asked, and all that was answered..

My lasting impression, that I had of the people was, that they really went out of their way to be polite/help'

so much so, I commented about it to my DW, as we tendered back, our first time.

ANYWHERE you go, things can happen.. we are all travelers..and understand there are risks everywhere we explore..

but I try to use common sense..info I have gotten from here, staying w your plan, etc.. and have enjoyed my trips..

...great trinket shopping in port too!  moving on..:)

• 4 weeks later...