Postponing a Cruise - 55 days out

Wayneair

Do you know if Celebrity will allow a person to transfer the value of a cruise to a future cruise when they are unable to make it due to medical reasons? They do not have the insurance and it is too late to purchase. The doctor said he can write a note if need be.

They are entitled to 50% of the cruise fair back (plus taxes & fees). The cancellation policy is well laid out and I have never heard of any exceptions.

I even remember someone who was past the cancellation window and her husband got deployed, but I do think they were able to make enough noise as to get a future credit. As for health reasons, that's precisely what insurance is for and, I would say, they're SOL.

Thanks for your responses. This is what I was expecting and the exact reason I get the insurance. I'll let them know and they can certainly try.

Have you tried posting on the insurance board here? Are you aware of it?

bon voayge

While they shouldn't expect anything, there's certainly no harm and calling and asking; since they just want to move the date maybe celebrity will give them a good will gesture to keep the booking. But yes, no obligation for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While they shouldn't expect anything, there's certainly no harm and calling and asking; since they just want to move the date maybe celebrity will give them a good will gesture to keep the booking. But yes, no obligation for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly what I was going to say. What's the harm in asking? That's my famous motto and it has gotten me seemingly impossible things in the past. If the booking has a waitlist, they might be inclined to do something outside of the norm. I wouldn't expect anything but then again, who knows, they might walk away with at least something.

BTW, the sooner they call, the better ... if they know they aren't going to be able to make it.

They are entitled to 50% of the cruise fair back (plus taxes & fees). The cancellation policy is well laid out and I have never heard of any exceptions.

I even remember someone who was past the cancellation window and her husband got deployed, but I do think they were able to make enough noise as to get a future credit. As for health reasons, that's precisely what insurance is for and, I would say, they're SOL.

Many companies exempt military from standard policy with a copy of orders.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many companies exempt military from standard policy with a copy of orders.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, that was my point. They will allow it for those circumstances alone as it's unavoidable - no refund, but hold the payment for a future cruise when they ARE able to go. There's no obligation to do it, but I suspect a lot of people would frown upon a policy that didn't allow for it - including long-term loyal guests!

As for the OP, as I said, I think you're SOL, but I too have gained big time by asking (in different but varying situations). Also, as pointed out, it's worth checking the credit card used as it may have coverage included.

A man on Summit last May told me how they were supposed to cruise the year prior but his wife had cancer and couldn't. He said Celebrity was wonderfully compassionate and told them when she was well enough to cruise they would have a full credit from their booked cruise.

He was so grateful who knows how many people he has shared his story with. Better than a commercial!!!

And he will probably be loyal to them for life.

It impressed me to hear him tell about it.

Customer goodwill goes a long way.