Train from SYD into CBD

Hi all

We are down to finer details of planning for our arrival in early March, hooray! Trying to decide between a shared shuttle or taking the train from the airport. If we take the train, will there be a place to store our rather large cases? If not, maybe we should just do the shared shuttle.

We will be coming into town at about 9-9:30 am--does this suggest one means of travel over the other?

Thanks for any help

ML

Hi all

We are down to finer details of planning for our arrival in early March, hooray! Trying to decide between a shared shuttle or taking the train from the airport. If we take the train, will there be a place to store our rather large cases? If not, maybe we should just do the shared shuttle.

We will be coming into town at about 9-9:30 am--does this suggest one means of travel over the other?

Thanks for any help

ML

No real luggage space on the train. That's the one big negative. If there is it will be an overhead rack. The trains are (every time I've caught it) double decker with some space each end of the carriage at platform level then stairs up and down, there is more space at the platform level for bags.

At that time of day (assuming two of you) I'd go taxi. About $50 maybe even a bit under, unless it's a Public Holiday (sorry can't recall what day you arrive) Train is around $17 each, and still have a walk to your hotel.

http://www.airportlink.com.au/trip-information/time-tables/

I take it that you are embarking that day at OPT Circular Quay. If so, you can normally drop your bags off at OPT, anytime from about 9am anyway. You don't have to check in at that time and can board at what ever time you have scheduled. Therefore a train from Sydney Airport international or domestic is an ideal way to get to Circular Quay with your bags there is normally an area to sit and store your large travel suitcases in every carriage near the doorways. If you are arriving on a weekday at that time you have missed the AM peak crowd and the trains run roughly every 10-12 mins and takes about 22 minutes from International terminal. Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Bagwhan

Hi ML,

If you do take the train, I would suggest when you get on the platform at "Domestic" or "international", you move towards the end of the platform. They should all be 8 car (full platform length) trains and will make it easier to get clear of the crowding that generally happens towards the middle of the train allowing you more room in the end (platform level) vestables of the train for your luggage and "stretch out" space.

I recommend heading for the rear of the train towards the guard and that way it makes it easier if you have a drama getting your large luggage onto the train (at least it shouldn't leave without half your baggage if he has clear sight!!!).

If your getting off at Circular Quay, then waiting a minute or 2 for the crowds to disperse after disembarking, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the lift down to ground level from the platform with your baggage.

As another little side note, travelling later...9.30 - 10 may also be a better time out of peak hour.

cya

bl262000

Thank you all for your advice, very helpful indeed. I never know how much to say, and i always give less info than people need to be helpful. Here are the tiny details:

We will arrive at SYD at about 6 am on Mar 8; friends we are traveling with are arriving at about 8 am. We are all staying at the same hotel, which is a timeshare they are members of. We have already decided to just wait for them--I'm assuming customs and figuring things out, plus buying an Opal card, will take time. We will buy the Opal card at the airport since we will have time.

Our cruise isn't until Mar 13, so we have a few days to tour Sydney and adjust to the time difference. We will be back for 3 days between cruises, then back again for 2 days after a cruise around NZ. We have lengthy list of things to do, and a basic plan of how to do them.

I was leaning toward taking the train (we will be staying in CBD, at Wyndam at corner of Wentworth Ave & Goulburn St), only because we have a lot of time to kill before we can check in (3 pm) or go to sleep (maybe 9 pm if we are lucky--it will be tough!). But hubby thinks a shared shuttle would be better since it might drop us right at hotel?

And, there will be 4 of us, with 4 large bags and 4 smaller ones (backpack size).

Does that help/change any ideas?

Thank you

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

I would go by taxi. We have taxi vans called 'Maxi Taxi' that would be large enough for four people and your luggage. The cost of the train for four people would be AUD$70. A maxi taxi would probably be a little bit less than that, but WAY more convenient. You wouldn't have to get your luggage onto the railway platform and onto the train and the opposite at the other end, then walk to your hotel. The taxi would take you right there. I also feel a maxi taxi would be better than a shuttle. With the shuttle you would probably have to wait a while until it is full, then it does the rounds of the hotels. If you decide to go with the maxi taxi idea, just go out to the taxi rank and ask for a maxi taxi. Obviously most taxis will be normal size sedans, but there will be the larger versions, although you might have to wait a short while.

Thank you all for your advice, very helpful indeed. I never know how much to say, and i always give less info than people need to be helpful. Here are the tiny details:

We will arrive at SYD at about 6 am on Mar 8; friends we are traveling with are arriving at about 8 am. We are all staying at the same hotel, which is a timeshare they are members of. We have already decided to just wait for them--I'm assuming customs and figuring things out, plus buying an Opal card, will take time. We will buy the Opal card at the airport since we will have time.

Our cruise isn't until Mar 13, so we have a few days to tour Sydney and adjust to the time difference. We will be back for 3 days between cruises, then back again for 2 days after a cruise around NZ. We have lengthy list of things to do, and a basic plan of how to do them.

I was leaning toward taking the train (we will be staying in CBD, at Wyndam at corner of Wentworth Ave & Goulburn St), only because we have a lot of time to kill before we can check in (3 pm) or go to sleep (maybe 9 pm if we are lucky--it will be tough!). But hubby thinks a shared shuttle would be better since it might drop us right at hotel?

And, there will be 4 of us, with 4 large bags and 4 smaller ones (backpack size).

Thank you

ML

Definitely taxi.

Nearest station is a bit of a walk with all that, for four of you train will be around $70, taxi under $80. Shuttle at least $60.

You should be able to drop your bags as soon as you arrive and have a bit of a wander around the shops, including a coffee and some lunch while waiting to check in.

I would go by taxi. We have taxi vans called 'Maxi Taxi' that would be large enough for four people and your luggage. The cost of the train for four people would be AUD$70. A maxi taxi would probably be a little bit less than that, but WAY more convenient. You wouldn't have to get your luggage onto the railway platform and onto the train and the opposite at the other end, then walk to your hotel. The taxi would take you right there. I also feel a maxi taxi would be better than a shuttle. With the shuttle you would probably have to wait a while until it is full, then it does the rounds of the hotels. If you decide to go with the maxi taxi idea, just go out to the taxi rank and ask for a maxi taxi. Obviously most taxis will be normal size sedans, but there will be the larger versions, although you might have to wait a short while.

Thank you for this explanation, quite good and very much what hubby suggested (he will like that :) ). One additional question--can we pay by credit card or only cash? Just trying to estimate how much AUS cash we will need (and yes, I know we can use ATMs but that won't work for a number of un-interesting reasons).

ML

Definitely taxi.

Nearest station is a bit of a walk with all that, for four of you train will be around $70, taxi under $80. Shuttle at least $60.

You should be able to drop your bags as soon as you arrive and have a bit of a wander around the shops, including a coffee and some lunch while waiting to check in.

Thanks Gut, that was pretty much our plan. Plus, we are looking forward to a trip to Aldi or Coles to buy a few things for breakfast and lunch (we will have a kitchenette). I have to admit, this will be a highlight for me, but I have different tastes than others :)

ML

Thank you for this explanation, quite good and very much what hubby suggested (he will like that :) ). One additional question--can we pay by credit card or only cash? Just trying to estimate how much AUS cash we will need (and yes, I know we can use ATMs but that won't work for a number of un-interesting reasons).

ML

Most cabs take card (I hesitate to say all, but I think it is all) though they may hit you a surcharge 1.5% or similar.

Thank you

ML

NoWhiners, we have stayed at Wyndham Suites. It is about a 10-15 minutes walk from Central Station and a 5-7 minutes walk from Museum Station. We have used Museum Station but used the stairs to exit to the street and am not sure if there are lifts (elevators) or escalators. I'm sure one of our Sydneysiders can help with that information. If there are lifts/escalators, Museum may be a good choice but I;m with the other posters who suggested a maxi taxi. Much easier and quite a quick trip from the airport to Wyndham Suites.

Leigh

I am sure that all taxis will take a credit card. As GUT said, there is likely to be a surcharge, but if you look at that dollar-wise it isn't much. It could be worth asking the driver if he does take CC before you load your luggage.

I also mention (although you probably already know this) that it is not necessary to hand out tips in Australia. With a taxi, if we have luggage we would usually 'round-up' the fare to the next even five or ten dollars.

Edited by Aus Traveller

NoWhiners, we have stayed at Wyndham Suites. It is about a 10-15 minutes walk from Central Station and a 5-7 minutes walk from Museum Station. We have used Museum Station but used the stairs to exit to the street and am not sure if there are lifts (elevators) or escalators. I'm sure one of our Sydneysiders can help with that information. If there are lifts/escalators, Museum may be a good choice but I;m with the other posters who suggested a maxi taxi. Much easier and quite a quick trip from the airport to Wyndham Suites.

Leigh

Leigh

Yes, I recently found out that Museum Station would be closer, thanks for this. How did you like the Wyndham? Did you use the hotel or the timeshare (it does make a difference)? I am a little worried about this place but we are stuck with it now so nothing we can do.

ML

I am sure that all taxis will take a credit card. As GUT said, there is likely to be a surcharge, but if you look at that dollar-wise it isn't much. It could be worth asking the driver if he does take CC before you load your luggage.

I also mention (although you probably already know this) that it is not necessary to hand out tips in Australia. With a taxi, if we have luggage we would usually 'round-up' the fare to the next even five or ten dollars.

yes, I am acutely aware of this. And, btw, I like your system much better than ours. Rounding up was my plan for all our activities.

Even 1.5% surcharge is only about a buck.

My giant sized brain and sixth grade education allowed me to calculate this ;). I am not being rude--just a nod to an old American TV show "The Beverly Hillbillies", where Jethro said this all the time. Do you folks down there get to see this old TV show?

My giant sized brain and sixth grade education allowed me to calculate this ;). I am not being rude--just a nod to an old American TV show "The Beverly Hillbillies", where Jethro said this all the time. Do you folks down there get to see this old TV show?

I loved the Hillbillies, only seems to be on Pay TV now and not often at that.

ML, we used the hotel which was a a one bedroom apartment. We found it fine for our five days there. It was very convenient to everything we wanted to do. There is a pub on the corner of Wentworth and Elizabeth Streets which served quite good meals. We had dinner there a couple of times which we enjoyed. We met an American family who were staying at the Wyndham and who loved the meals at this pub. You are also within walking distance of China Town and many other restaurants are in the area.

Leigh

Surcharge is actually 5%.

If the surcharge for using a credit card is 5%, it is a good reason not to give any tip at all. :D By the way, I am not doubting the 5%. I know until not too long ago, there was a very high surcharge, but the government clamped down on it.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Yeah, I don't know why they were excluded, but it states the exclusion here on their reform page:

"Do the new rules affect the taxi industry?

Surcharging in the taxi industry will remain the responsibility of state regulators. Until recently, surcharges of 10 per cent were typical in that industry. However, authorities in Victoria, New South Wales, Western Australia, South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory have taken or announced decisions to limit surcharges to no more than 5 per cent. Other states and territories are also considering such limits. As new payment methods and technologies emerge, it is likely to be appropriate for caps on surcharges to be reduced below 5 per cent. The Government and the RBA will continue to monitor developments in the taxi industry with a view to assessing whether further measures are appropriate.

Card payments for hire cars and ride-sharing services will be within the scope of the RBA's surcharging standard and potential ACCC enforcement. "

http://www.rba.gov.au/payments-and-infrastructure/review-of-card-payments-regulation/q-and-a/card-payments-regulation-qa-conclusions-paper.html