tipping in specialty restaurants

tommy47

We never leave less than $20.00 every time we enjoy specialty dining. There have been a number of occasions where we have experienced an exceptional dining experience and increased our tip accordingly. IMHO they more than deserve it....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Last month when we had dinner in the Crown Grill the waiter stopped us from adding the tip to the bill (we had forgotten to bring cash) saying the cover charge includes his tip. I then specifically asked him if I ran back to the cabin and brought back some cash, would he get all of that tip. He responded, "There's no need to do that, why pay something that's already been paid."

We're not newbies so we were shocked by his comments.

Last month when we had dinner in the Crown Grill the waiter stopped us from adding the tip to the bill (we had forgotten to bring cash) saying the cover charge includes his tip. I then specifically asked him if I ran back to the cabin and brought back some cash, would he get all of that tip. He responded, "There's no need to do that, why pay something that's already been paid."

Thanks for sharing this. I think we from the US often forget that other cultures and countries have a different view or standard of tipping.

I was in England a few years back. I took a one-day tour and tipped the tour guide at the end according to the US standards. He looked at the amount I had tipped and told me i had tipped too much and gave me two thirds of my tip back.

There were a number of times during my work life when someone wanted to do something "extra" for me for taking care of their problems quickly and in a friendly manner. I always turned it down and told them "I'm already being paid to do my job". There was no reason for them to buy me lunch, a bottle of Scotch, or whatever the offer was. My feeling was that I always tried to do a good job and there was no need to give me something extra for doing so.

This "tipping thing" has gotten totally out of hand everywhere, but especially on cruise ships. Princess website states that their ships are totally cash-free, and that, at least in part, explains the philosophy behind the auto-gratuity program. With rare exceptions, everything is built in to the fare, including tips for the wait and service staff, with the auto-gratuity system, including specialty restaurant staff. One exception is for bar staff, but there is an automatic 15% is added to your bill for that service.

Personally, we will add a small additional tip for what we consider to be EXCEPTIONAL service , always bearing in mind that we have already paid the normal tip ahead of time, whether it is warranted or not, and not just to stoke our own egos.

...VTX-Al

Edited by VTX-AL

The topic of tipping comes up over and over and over and over. It's as bad as the "Great Formal Attire Debate" that is also endlessly repeated here on Cruise Critic. Nobody is going to convince anybody else to see things from their point of view. It's hopeless. It's akin to telling a Muslim that they should be a Cristian or telling a Catholic that they really "should" be a Protestant or a Mormon or a Seventh Day Adventist or a Jehovah's Witness. It's like expecting to "have a talk" with folks and suddenly achieve peace in the Middle East. Not... Going... To... Happen.

Some tip and will always tip. Some tip extravagantly and will always do so. Some don't tip and never will. I'm as guilty as the next person for even participating in this thread. I think it's time for all of us to stop. I'll go first...

The topic of tipping comes up over and over and over and over. It's as bad as the "Great Formal Attire Debate" that is also endlessly repeated here on Cruise Critic. Nobody is going to convince anybody else to see things from their point of view. It's hopeless. It's akin to telling a Muslim that they should be a Cristian or telling a Catholic that they really "should" be a Protestant or a Mormon or a Seventh Day Adventist or a Jehovah's Witness. It's like expecting to "have a talk" with folks and suddenly achieve peace in the Middle East. Not... Going... To... Happen.

Some tip and will always tip. Some tip extravagantly and will always do so. Some don't tip and never will. I'm as guilty as the next person for even participating in this thread. I think it's time for all of us to stop. I'll go first...

Sort of like trying to make someone switch political parties. :D

I think you an make them switch religions easier. ;)

No. No. I love reading your well-written comments. Of course, as often as not, you are espousing my opinions, but, when we do disagree, I always able to understand your position.

I am going to extend this conversation a bit.

There seems to be a lot of hand wringing about whether or not tips go into an individuals pocket or into a "pool." The prevailing opinion seems to be that tips that go into the pool do do not sufficiently reward the intended recipient.

I am not entirely convinced of that opinion.

Consider this. Let's say there are two servers in a restaurant: Janos and Igor. Let's further assume that Igor is the superior server. He superiority is recognized by the customers that he serves, and, not surprisingly, he is regulary tipped more than Janos. If the pool-theory is correct. then Igor is consistently contributing more to the pool than Janos. If the room headwaiter has any management skill (I agree, this is a questionable assumption.), he/she will notice that Igor's contributions are significantly higher than Janos'. This is excellent information for the headwaiter.

• Does Janos need additional training to improve his skills to bring his tips up to Igor's level? At the very least the headwaiter should observe Janos on the floor to see if improvement can be made.
  • It is reasonable for the headwaiter to conclude that the superior contribution to the pool indicates that Igor is a superior server. Therefore, Igor's name will quickly come to mind when a "preferred" party comes into the room or when a promotion opportunity arises.

So, from my point of view, I am not particularly concerned about whether the tip that I leave goes direction into my intended recipient's pocket or into the pool.

That extra $5 goes into the tip pool so your waiter probably only sees about $1.50 or so if he's lucky.

No, I always hand it to him as we leave. What he does with it after, well that's up to him. I never write an extra amount on the bill I have to sign.

I was once stopped from adding a tip to the paper bill. I was told the extra tip would go to everyone. I've never had anyone turn down cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We have been told not to tip as well. Everyone has always been very gracious when accepting tips from us. Some have even tried to stop us from cash tipping explaining the same as happened to you. We do tip everyone the same. I notice the comparison earlier, we will tip everyone that served us since the Brigade system they use usually only has two or three of the same people every time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

If you tip in cash it goes directly to the waiter. If you add it to the bill, it goes into the pool..

I check all the pools and I've never found any money in the pools.

I believe the service charge does include the tip. You can add an extra tip if you wish.

There was a time when I would tip in cash. However I got to thinking that I don't tip in anytime dining so why should I feel obligated to tip in a specialty restaurant that has a charge. I feel that I am already paying for better service by paying the up charge. For the record I leave on the auto tip which the staff has agreed to accept as condition of their contract and I do tip individuals for service. For example I will tip anyone in the buffet who offers to bring us our drinks. I think that it's just a habit to feel obligated to tip when someone has you sign the sales check.

We always thought the extra payment to dine in these restaurants covered the service charge as the waiters would not be included in the daily gratuity charge.

Having paid the cruise cost which includes all meals and then pay on top to eat in the speciality restaurant and then to pay more service charge when you have already paid a daily gratuity and not dining in the MDR is going a step too far.

Last cruise on HAL was $50 per person. I think that should include the tip!!!

Should include the tip and a cocktail

Which waiters work harder, the ones working the main DR or the ones at the Specialty restaurants?

Seems to me they both work hard no matter where they're assigned.

And they both get tipped extra. The specialty restaurant server after the meal and the MDR server at the end of the cruise.

And they both get tipped extra. The specialty restaurant server after the meal and the MDR server at the end of the cruise.

In that case do you tip an extra $200 on a ten day trip for the dining staff (assuming you tip $20 at the Specialty restaurant)?

No but I have seen Bambi on the MDR menu.

They used to offer venison chili on the Alaskan cruises in the afternoon.

In that case do you tip an extra $200 on a ten day trip for the dining staff (assuming you tip $20 at the Specialty restaurant)?

You are assuming a person eats all 10 nights in the MDR, which is not possible if they're eating in specialty restaurants.

You are assuming a person eats all 10 nights in the MDR, which is not possible if they're eating in specialty restaurants.

Are you suggesting I can't have dinner at a specialty restaurant, then walk into the MDR and have a second dinner?

Challenge accepted! ;)

Are you suggesting I can't have dinner at a specialty restaurant, then walk into the MDR and have a second dinner?

Challenge accepted! ;)

You are correct. I'm assuming a person only eats one dinner per evening. Go for it!