Reverse Discussion - Does anyone like the wine

shubsens

We never had an issue on Reflection in Blu. We did ask the sommelier for dinner pairings, rather than for specific wines, and she always did a great job. Sommeliers are generally trained more in the French tradition of pairing wines with food rather than wines to drink alone, and I don't get caught up in varietals. I don't recall all her recommendations, but they went from Italian to Spanish to French to California, and maybe Oregon. One or two as I recall that might not have been great examples of the varietal (I'm blanking, but a very light red that would normally have been much heavier, may have been a Malbec) that paired perfectly with the dish.

I think you'll have better luck if you don't ask for a specific varietal; there's a lot of style variation in Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon, for instance, and a Grenache or GSM may be your best bet with your meal.

As in almost all land-based restaurants, the bottle list is much better than the by the glass list. We did splurge one night on a Bell Gloss Pinot Noir bottle, but generally found the glass recommendations perfectly fine.

I see several threads about all the wine people dislike and there seems to be a lot.

One persons great wine could be someone else worse wine but when there are so many comments of people disliking the wine that is not promising.

I have never cruised before so it would be helpful to know does anyone actually like the wine on board and if you do where can it be found. I will be sailing Equinox. We were planning on getting the premium beverage package.

I've always been happy with the wines on board, although I admit it has been a couple of years. Last cruise we had premium package and that did open up the options, particularly if you don't mind spending a dollar or two extra.

My advice, particularly in the Dining room is to talk to the sommelier and be open to trying new things and varietals you might not be used to. If you can develop a relationship with the sommelier, options can open up.

Just to add another data point in the discussion.

We were on the Reflection in January. At home we aren't big wine drinkers, maybe a few bottles a month. We usually spend $12-18 a bottle at home.

We were on the premium package and really didn't find anything we enjoyed. As I said we aren't big wine drinkers and the only time we ordered one was at dinner. After the third night we ordered cocktails or brought one in from the martini bar. We tried again at QSine and all 3 of us didn't like our wines.

Next time I will take the advice offered here and let the sommelier pick something for us at our price point.

Glad to hear most of the comments are positive.

We never had an issue on Reflection in Blu. We did ask the sommelier for dinner pairings, rather than for specific wines, and she always did a great job.

Has anyone had luck in the MDR re: sommeliers willing to offer a pairing to your meal or do they mostly cater to the specialty, blu and suite diners? We had classic package last time and I'm debating upgrading to have more wine choices, but we're sailing in a regular balcony vs AQ or Suite and usually don't do the specialty restaurants.

When we dined in MDR last year and I asked for a suggestion on wines, the sommelier pointed to printed MDR menu and said that's what was available. She didn't seem interested in discussing it any further - wondering if it might be different with the premium package or maybe just a different sommelier.

I see several threads about all the wine people dislike and there seems to be a lot.

One persons great wine could be someone else worse wine but when there are so many comments of people disliking the wine that is not promising.

I have never cruised before so it would be helpful to know does anyone actually like the wine on board and if you do where can it be found. I will be sailing Equinox. We were planning on getting the premium beverage package.

You'll be fine. Smile, you have many wines to try on your trip....

Cruise critic has a few 'Robert Parker wannabees', just ignore them.

The best advice I can give is befriend your sommelier, tell them what you like and let them lead you.. If you're unhappy with a selection, tell them and they'll change it for you. Just enjoy yourself.

You'll be fine. Smile, you have many wines to try on your trip....

Cruise critic has a few 'Robert Parker wannabees', just ignore them.

The best advice I can give is befriend your sommelier, tell them what you like and let them lead you.. If you're unhappy with a selection, tell them and they'll change it for you. Just enjoy yourself.

Rated: A+++ - Thank you.

bon voyage

We never had an issue on Reflection in Blu. We did ask the sommelier for dinner pairings, rather than for specific wines, and she always did a great job.

Has anyone had luck in the MDR re: sommeliers willing to offer a pairing to your meal or do they mostly cater to the specialty, blu and suite diners? We had classic package last time and I'm debating upgrading to have more wine choices, but we're sailing in a regular balcony vs AQ or Suite and usually don't do the specialty restaurants.

When we dined in MDR last year and I asked for a suggestion on wines, the sommelier pointed to printed MDR menu and said that's what was available. She didn't seem interested in discussing it any further - wondering if it might be different with the premium package or maybe just a different sommelier.

The last time we ate in the MDR was before the drink packages came along, so I can't comment on how things are now, but even then we found it somewhat difficult to get sommelier service. I think there are simply too many diners and not enough sommeliers. Furthermore, the people acting as sommeliers in the MDR are generally not actually sommeliers and in many cases don't have any training beyond knowing what is on the list (the actual sommeliers in Blu/Specialty have mentioned this to me several times). We often stopped into Cellar Masters before dinner to get a glass of wine and would take it with us to the MDR - of course, this only solves your problem if you only want one glass with dinner!

The last time we ate in the MDR was before the drink packages came along, so I can't comment on how things are now, but even then we found it somewhat difficult to get sommelier service. I think there are simply too many diners and not enough sommeliers. Furthermore, the people acting as sommeliers in the MDR are generally not actually sommeliers and in many cases don't have any training beyond knowing what is on the list (the actual sommeliers in Blu/Specialty have mentioned this to me several times). We often stopped into Cellar Masters before dinner to get a glass of wine and would take it with us to the MDR - of course, this only solves your problem if you only want one glass with dinner!

Agreed. Our sommelier was actually trotting at times between the wine supply and the tables trying to keep up. Of course that was not her fault. The first time we actually had a conversation with her was in the Ocean view cafe during the day. She was a lovely person.

On our trip last Nov on the Equinox I was dismayed by the paltry selection of wines by the glass listed on the daily menu. I had the premium package and asked to see the big wine list. My sommelier told me that it only listed wines for sale by the bottle. That was a change from the previous year on the Millennium where there was an extensive list of wines by the glass integrated into the big wine list.

We changed tables after the first night (we were in the aft, port area of the MDR staring into the service doors). The next night I ordered the decent (to my only slightly educated palate) pinot noir that was on the menu from our new sommelier. The next morning I saw the sommelier working at the Aqua Spa Cafe. I mentioned to him that I was disappointed in the wine selection at dinner. From that point on I never had to worry about wine. Each night he would ask what food I had ordered and what general type of wine I wanted and he brought me wonderful choices that were not on the by-the-glass menu. I made sure I tipped him well on the final night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been fortunate enough to have Murak as sommelier on Equinox twice. I enjoy different wines with each course (hubs drinks Crown & ginger). I also have food allergies, so I preorder dinner for the next night. Murak would find out from the maitre d what I'd ordered & have suggestions for me as I was seated the next night! Oh, my hubs cocktail was placed at his seat every night too. Only one fail in 28 days (I don't like Zinfandel). Hope he's on Eclipse in November!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok, here is my embarrassing moment. A few days into our cruise in AQ eating in Blu I received the card asking for our suggestions for improvements. I mentioned I did not like the Blu wine list (this was when Blu was new and the wine list was less than it us now). The head sommelier came to our table that night and proceeded to set out 4 wine glasses for a tasting to find a wine we liked. Because everyone was looking at us it was slightly embarrassing but were we impressed! Just speak with your sommelier. They really want you to be happy. My DH is very happy with the wines on the Classic Package but I always upgrade to the Premium Package for the champagne (so worth it!) and the Pinot Noir.

We had the Premium package on Sostice just over a year ago. Every night we told our sommelier, Komang, what we had chosen to eat and he would come up with the perfect wine matches for each course. The wines were reasonable quality too and I enjoyed all of them except for one port which wasn't aged enough for my palate, it seemed a little too acidic.