Price Drop

s_mich

Hello all -

I've never had a price drop on a cruise so excuse me for not knowing how to move on it! We're booked on the Pearl for 4/1/18 and I got an alert on my email from *************** that the price for the outside room dropped 1% so it's $10 less.

My question is, when do you make a move? Should I just keep watching it? I'm one of those people that hates to miss any savings! So crazy I know! I'm always paranoid that I'll miss out the price dropping.

Any advice or experience would be awesome :) TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the "perks" have changed then you will get the new "perks" if you cancel and re-book so take care. Personally I wouldn't bother for a 1% drop.

Thanks. I figured the 1% isn't worth it. Also, do you always have to rebook? Do you ever get offered just OBC for the difference or anything?

I haven't done it, as such, on NCL.

However I have done it on another cruise line twice and yes it was a cancel and re-book each time. It was a decent saving, lots more than 1%, and as the 'perks' had changed I did get extra OBC. Both these were before final payment.

Things get more difficult if it is after and if you are not working with the USA website or a PCC in Miami; the rules in the UK and Europe seem to be different.

You have to rebook before the 90 day deadline. I saved almost $400 on my Breakaway cruise this April by waiting for the 2nd price drop. The perks had changed so I chose pre-paid gratuities over SD which is also a money saver. It sounds like you are within the 90 days though so it may be too late this time anyway.

You have to rebook before the 90 day deadline. I saved almost $400 on my Breakaway cruise this April by waiting for the 2nd price drop. The perks had changed so I chose pre-paid gratuities over SD which is also a money saver. It sounds like you are within the 90 days though so it may be too late this time anyway.

The sailing is next April 2018 so I'm actually more than 400 days out hah that's why I'm feeling silly for worrying about it now [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP is 15 months from sailing.

Thanks. I figured the 1% isn't worth it. Also, do you always have to rebook? Do you ever get offered just OBC for the difference or anything?

When you take advantage of a price drop. All you are doing is telling the cruise line that you are still in the refundable window and that the new booking terms are better than when you booked so you'd like to essentially cancel your reservation and book under the new terms. Some agents will literally say you are cancelling and rebooking and could lose your room. Sims just say sure and everything stays the same with the changes. But since you are booking under the new terms you have to accept ALL of the new terms.

Example, now NCL has been offering free UBP forever, but lets say they hadn't. If they offered your room at $699 pp yesterday but no perks were offered. And today they have a sale with UBP included and they know they need to get $899 from the room now to break even. It makes perfect sense that they wouldn't allow you to add the UBP and keep your 'no UBP' price. Same in reverse. You are simply deciding that you like the terms today better than when you booked and you would like your booking to be under the new terms.

I have done this a couple of times on different cruises. For example the price dropped significantly on an upcoming Pearl cruise ( I am still outside the cancellation window.) They cancelled my reservation and re-booked it with the lower price. I lost the old perks on my reservation and was given the new perks. Even with losing the OBC that I had with the old reservation I still came out waaay ahead.

The sailing is next April 2018 so I'm actually more than 400 days out hah that's why I'm feeling silly for worrying about it now [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Take good care of the Pearl for us. We sail on her the week after you. We're taking her from NOLA to Seattle via the Panama Canal. :D

I just wanted to mention that my upcoming cruise in May had a significant pricedrop recently (it was before final payment all though I had already paid my cruise off in full), and I was left with two choices by my PCC:

1. Cancel and re-book the same cabin category and get a refund of the difference between what I originally paid and the current price. Original booking date would then be changed to the date of the change.

OR

2. I could purchase an upgrade to a higher category cabin, and just pay the difference between what I had already paid for my original cabin category and the current price on the category I wanted to upgrade to, and my original booking date would still be valid.

I ended up upgrading from an inside cabin to a balcony cabin and only had to pay $30 p.p for the upgrade, so I was very happy with that. Plus, because the original booking date was kept, I also get the extra Latitude point per night for booking more than 9 months before the cruise (booked long before Feb. 3, 2017). The price was the "deal" for me, I am very happy with the upgrade since I just had to pay a total of $60 for 2 persons. Then the extra Latitude points is just a "bonus" - all though I am far away from any Latitude Ambassador status...

I ended up upgrading from an inside cabin to a balcony cabin and only had to pay $30 p.p for the upgrade, so I was very happy with that. Plus, because the original booking date was kept, I also get the extra Latitude point per night for booking more than 9 months before the cruise (booked long before Feb. 3, 2017). The price was the "deal" for me, I am very happy with the upgrade since I just had to pay a total of $60 for 2 persons. Then the extra Latitude points is just a "bonus" - all though I am far away from any Latitude Ambassador status...

Very nice deal arranged by your PCC. Good for you and congrats!

I just wanted to mention that my upcoming cruise in May had a significant pricedrop recently (it was before final payment all though I had already paid my cruise off in full), and I was left with two choices by my PCC:

1. Cancel and re-book the same cabin category and get a refund of the difference between what I originally paid and the current price. Original booking date would then be changed to the date of the change.

OR

2. I could purchase an upgrade to a higher category cabin, and just pay the difference between what I had already paid for my original cabin category and the current price on the category I wanted to upgrade to, and my original booking date would still be valid.

I hadn't thought of that.... but it makes sense that you could do that without rebooking - they let people do that past final payment too. Good idea! Those bonus latitude points are nice

For clarification, did you book through NCL's European office, or through NCL US?

For clarification, did you book through NCL's European office, or through NCL US?

My PCC is based in the US (NCL office in Mesa, Arizona), so my reservation was done by the American "rules" regarding bookings, cancellations or upgrades.

OR

Great deal! We don't have a PCC, but we should since it will end up being a bunch of us booking. So far only us and one other couple have. I do not want to cancel and re-book since I booked before the 3rd and want to keep that grandfathered in of the extra bonus point. But - I would not mind getting something like you did or OBC.

Since I just did my booking online, how do I get a PCC? Did your PCC call you and alert you to the price drop or did you call them?

Take good care of the Pearl for us. We sail on her the week after you. We're taking her from NOLA to Seattle via the Panama Canal. :D

We will! Very jealous of that sailing, sounds amazing!

Great deal! We don't have a PCC, but we should since it will end up being a bunch of us booking. So far only us and one other couple have. I do not want to cancel and re-book since I booked before the 3rd and want to keep that grandfathered in of the extra bonus point. But - I would not mind getting something like you did or OBC.

Since I just did my booking online, how do I get a PCC? Did your PCC call you and alert you to the price drop or did you call them?

As long as you have a booking done directly with NCL, you just call them and they will pass you through to a PCC. And no, NCL did not alert me of any price drop - I found that out myself, and contacted my PCC and asked what I could do to profit from the price drop.