Cash vs credit card in Sydney and NZ

As a total aside, it was strange in Japan last year when hotels etc, pulled out the old cc machines with the carbon copy systems.

We had similar situation in Estonia, so I decided to pay with some euros and got some Estonian krone as the change.

Thanks Leigh, happy to hear we will be just in time! Can you tell me about how much a reserved seat goes for? Just trying to plan budget.

Sadly, we are not quite 65 yet :D but will be happy to pay the entry fee.

Thank you for your help

ML

ML, I see Docker123 has given you a response about General Admission tickets. As the prices for this coming season have yet to be released I can only guess - the cheapest probably around $40-$45 up to close $100 perhaps. I can't remember how much we paid two years ago.

Leigh

Thanks everyone for replies about CC and cash, and AFL tickets.

Now, one question still remains--tipping onboard ships. Is this the same as other places in Australia and NZ--no tipping for cabin stewards? Or do we just do the usual, if you get good service, add a cash tip at end of cruise??

I'm happy to do either but I want to understand what the usual method is there.

Thx

ML

AFL Tickets start at about $25 for general admission, more for specific grandstand seats. Ticketed charges quite a premium to book online, but you know you have your tickets. At the SCG for this game, I would just walk up and buy a ticket on the day.

Coles and Woolworths, as well as 7/11 take cc without surcharge. No minimum spend at Coles or Woolworths, and both will do cash out on debit or savings cards. PayWave generally has a $100 maximum.

Card machines still have a swipe function which read the magnetic strip. I had used a non-chip card and it spat out a receipt requiring a signature.

I always carry cash as there are lots of smaller operators have minimum spends, or do not take cc at all.

As a total aside, it was strange in Japan last year when hotels etc, pulled out the old cc machines with the carbon copy systems.

Thank you Dockers, I am hoping we can just do GA, but we'll see if the hotel can do better! We will have cash for smaller purchases. And we will try and PINs but not sure we can pull it off in time.

ML

ML, I see Docker123 has given you a response about General Admission tickets. As the prices for this coming season have yet to be released I can only guess - the cheapest probably around $40-$45 up to close $100 perhaps. I can't remember how much we paid two years ago.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, good to know. Seems a bit high but it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing, so we will do it. Is there a special advantage to reserved seats (besides a known seat/location)?

Thanks

ML

PS: For some reason, the new (stupid, annoying format) won't let me post multi-quotes anymore. Big improvement...NOT!

Now, one question still remains--tipping onboard ships. Is this the same as other places in Australia and NZ--no tipping for cabin stewards? Or do we just do the usual, if you get good service, add a cash tip at end of cruise??

Thx

ML

As I understand it, if you buy your ticket in Australia (don't know about NZ) then all costs including gratuities are covered by the fare.

You can of course give money away to anybody you like as well, but you don't have to, or need to.

I've never bought a ticket from an overseas source for travel in Oz/NZ, so I can't tell you exactly what that entails.

Thx

ML

This is by no means what everyone does but we leave the auto gratuities on (it is included in the fare here now :D). We also do what you do and tip at the end of the cruise to any staff that we feel deserves extra (above and beyond, so to speak) in cash. As the auto tips are left on, this amount doesn't have to be that much. :D

As I understand it, if you buy your ticket in Australia (don't know about NZ) then all costs including gratuities are covered by the fare.

You can of course give money away to anybody you like as well, but you don't have to, or need to.

I've never bought a ticket from an overseas source for travel in Oz/NZ, so I can't tell you exactly what that entails.

This is by no means what everyone does but we leave the auto gratuities on (it is included in the fare here now :D). We also do what you do and tip at the end of the cruise to any staff that we feel deserves extra (above and beyond, so to speak) in cash. As the auto tips are left on, this amount doesn't have to be that much. :D

Thank you both, I have a better understanding now. We always do autotips and it is nice to know that the extra tip can be what we believe is appropriate. Not too different from our US-based cruises but good to have a notion of this.

ML

We always do autotips and it is nice to know that the extra tip can be what we believe is appropriate. Not too different from our US-based cruises but good to have a notion of this.

Just remember that we poor locals will have to follow along in your wake. So if you spread those big fat US dollars around too thick, we will have trouble matching it with our skinny little Ozzie dollars.:eek:

The following comes from an unnamed source:

Whether or not you agree with the policy of compulsory gratuities, it’s a fact of modern cruising. That said, unless it’s for exceptional service, tipping goes against the grain for Australians. In fact, it was so unpopular on local cruise ships that P&O Cruises abolished compulsory gratuities in 2010.

Carnival Cruise Line followed suit and stopped charging compulsory gratuities aboard Australia-based ships Carnival Spirit and Carnival Legend, and there’s no tipping on the Princess Cruise ships based year-round in Australia: Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and Sea Princess. Passengers on these ships can tip crew as they see fit, either in cash to an individual crew member, or by adding a particular extra amount to their account.

However, overseas cruise lines cruising in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands for the summer season do charge compulsory gratuities and you need to factor these in to your budget. It is possible to ask for them to be removed at the Guest Relations desk on the ship at the end of your cruise but it’s not a popular move. The fee is charged on a daily basis on every passenger’s account (including children’s).

Thx

ML

You probably bought your ticket from a US travel agent. If so, the gratuity will be added to your account every day, but there will be no automatic gratuity on drinks. The price you see is what you pay (although it is higher than in the US). On ships where the auto gratuity applies to all passengers I do not advocate removing the gratuity because the stewards need this to make a reasonable wage. HOWEVER, on our ships, where the tips are included in the fare, the stewards are paid a wage that is equivalent to what they would get on the US based ships where the auto gratuity applies. Therefore I see nothing wrong in suggesting you can remove the auto gratuity without feeling guilty. I rather doubt if you leave it on that it will go to your particular steward. It would be better to give your steward some cash at the end of the cruise. I am not suggesting a big amount - maybe $20 or so each for the cabin steward and table waiter and assistant.

The most important thing is doing what you think is right for you, what others say or do is irrelevant.

Agreed [emoji3]

You will get an assortment of opinions on tipping here and there's no right or wrong answer. Do what's right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ML,

A reserved seat is usually in a better position than where GA seats are but it also ensures you have a seat to sit in if there is a big crowd.

I really dislike the new format of CC and found that if I use Microsoft Edge it is still in the old format unlike Chrome which I normally use. the new version is really hard on your eyes and I developed a headache the first time I used it.

Leigh

Whether or not you agree with the policy of compulsory gratuities, it’s a fact of modern cruising. That said, unless it’s for exceptional service, tipping goes against the grain for Australians. In fact, it was so unpopular on local cruise ships that P&O Cruises abolished compulsory gratuities in 2010.

Carnival Cruise Line followed suit and stopped charging compulsory gratuities aboard Australia-based ships Carnival Spirit and Carnival Legend, and there’s no tipping on the Princess Cruise ships based year-round in Australia: Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and Sea Princess. Passengers on these ships can tip crew as they see fit, either in cash to an individual crew member, or by adding a particular extra amount to their account.

However, overseas cruise lines cruising in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands for the summer season do charge compulsory gratuities and you need to factor these in to your budget. It is possible to ask for them to be removed at the Guest Relations desk on the ship at the end of your cruise but it’s not a popular move. The fee is charged on a daily basis on every passenger’s account (including children’s).

Good info Sinbad. Just want to add that for Royal Caribbean cruises from Aus & NZ (booked downunder), they also now have 'included' the T&G's in the fare price, so no added tips for them either now, either upfront or added daily. We will still give extra for the great service we get, but it's up to each person what they do.

I really dislike the new format of CC and found that if I use Microsoft Edge it is still in the old format unlike Chrome which I normally use.

Thanks possum for posting that. I was confused when people were posting about the new format, when I saw nothing different from before - I am using Edge, so all clear now :)

ML,

A reserved seat is usually in a better position than where GA seats are but it also ensures you have a seat to sit in if there is a big crowd.

I really dislike the new format of CC and found that if I use Microsoft Edge it is still in the old format unlike Chrome which I normally use. the new version is really hard on your eyes and I developed a headache the first time I used it.

Leigh

Thanks possum, we'll give reserved seating a try.

Today, magically, the old format came back! I am using and have been using Chrome the whole time but for a few days they forced the new format on us. Not sure what it will be next time :)

ML

Just remember that we poor locals will have to follow along in your wake. So if you spread those big fat US dollars around too thick, we will have trouble matching it with our skinny little Ozzie dollars.:eek:

Thanks Sinbad. I knew that things were charged differently depending on where you booked, and we booked in the US. It sounds like if we just leave the auto grats on, we will be fine, no extra required.

I do apologize for our fat dollars but look on the bright side--we will be doing our very best to add to your economy :D Especially beer and wine ;)

ML

Bpos

This is great, thank you so much. Your guidance is excellent and sort of what I was thinking, but I didn't know the cash amount that would be the threshold (DH has used his CC for $5 purchases here ;) )

The note about a PIN is very helpful indeed. We have only just converted to chip cards (US banks are so slooooow to do anything to help anyone). Are you saying a chip card, or just any credit card, can't be used without a PIN? Not sure DH has a PIN but now I know to check.

I don't think Australia is backward at all. Banking is obviously better, and I hear the wine is excellent :D

Thank you

ML

I'm late to this post and you might already have the information you need, since I haven't yet read the whole thread.

We have US credit cards and use them all the time here in Australia and they are accepted everywhere. Ours have chips but not the same chip and pin technology used in Australia. If the machine asks for our pin and we enter it, it proceeds as a cash advance on the CC, not a regular credit transaction.

Some machines automatically recognise that and just spit out a receipt that needs to be signed. Others ask for a pin and we just press 'Ok' or "continue" and the machine completes the transaction and spits out the paper to be signed.

If you have recently been issued with the same chip and pin cards used in Europe and Australia, you should be ok. I know our bank - Chase - don't have them yet. Just be aware of what the machine is telling you :)

We welcome them happily.

As it should be ;) Now, if we stop you on the street for directions, be sympathetic. We can't boost the economy if we don't know where we are going :-)

I'm late to this post and you might already have the information you need, since I haven't yet read the whole thread.

We have US credit cards and use them all the time here in Australia and they are accepted everywhere. Ours have chips but not the same chip and pin technology used in Australia. If the machine asks for our pin and we enter it, it proceeds as a cash advance on the CC, not a regular credit transaction.

Some machines automatically recognise that and just spit out a receipt that needs to be signed. Others ask for a pin and we just press 'Ok' or "continue" and the machine completes the transaction and spits out the paper to be signed.

If you have recently been issued with the same chip and pin cards used in Europe and Australia, you should be ok. I know our bank - Chase - don't have them yet. Just be aware of what the machine is telling you :)

This very helpful--I didn't realize there was a difference. I am going to talk to our bank about this soon, so I am hoping I can get a PIN or they can tel me what I am supposed to do.

Thank you

ML

Thanks possum for posting that. I was confused when people were posting about the new format, when I saw nothing different from before - I am using Edge, so all clear now :)

No problems Mr walker, glad I was able to help.

Leigh

• 4 weeks later...

We are hoping to attend an AFL match on Mar 25. Ticket prices haven't been posted, and we will work this when we get there. Will we be able to pay for tickets with a credit card? I guess general admission will work--will we have a problem buying tickets (need 4) since we have to wait until Mar 10 at the soonest?

ML,

AFL tickets will be available on Monday 6th March on the Ticketek website for the AFL game on March 25th.

This link will take you to the match details and prices etc.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=SWANS0117

My husband and I arrive in Sydney that day ready to board Voyager of the Seas the next day. If my club wasn't playing in Melbourne that night we may have considered going to the game. I hope you and your friends enjoy the game if you decide to go and that you all have a fabulous time down under.

Leigh

I would probably go for a concourse 2 ticket unless they forecast rain, in which case a grandstand ticket is better.

Price Per Ticket/Item?

Best available (Any price category)

• From $15.00
  • Grandstand - Category 1
    From $34.00
  • Grandstand - Category 2
    From $30.00
  • Grandstand - Category 3
    From $23.00
  • Grandstand - Category 4
    From $22.00
  • Concourse - Category 1