Cash vs credit card in Sydney and NZ

Thanks you for your kind invitation ML. Even though we would love to visit the USA we are unlikely to to do so as I'm not a good flyer. Singapore to Melbourne is about as far as I can cope with. We would have to cruise to and from the USA for me to travel there! Now that's an idea!

Leigh

Thanks you for your kind invitation ML. Even though we would love to visit the USA we are unlikely to to do so as I'm not a good flyer. Singapore to Melbourne is about as far as I can cope with. We would have to cruise to and from the USA for me to travel there! Now that's an idea!

Leigh

We're pretty much the same, but worse. Doctors say flying could kill Mrs Gut.

I caught them from Eddy Ave a long time back to go and watch my precious Bunnies at the SCG back when they were there most weeks in the Match of the Day.

Those bunnies have no hope now that the new virus is coming.:p

First time for us on RCI as well. If you ever make it to Albuquerque, post or email me--we can show you around :D

email: no-whiners at msn dot com

ML

I wouldn't mind seeing the Balloon festival at some point, perhaps in a few years time.:D

Well certainly no flying for you and Mrs Gut. I dearly love Melbourne but as far as cruising goes, I envy you just having a car trip to reach Sydney. Once I retire at the end of this year, we will have more opportunity to choose cruises from Melbourne, perhaps one or two to Tassie.

Leigh

I'm an Essendon member. My grandson is the 6th generation of our family to be an Essendon supporter. We will miss the 1st round match against the Hawks as we will be cruising. My husband and son are Melbourne as is my granddaughter. DIL is a Cat, SIL is a Lion as is younger grandson. So a mixed batch for us. Some rellies went to the Suns v Essendon game too and were thrilled to see the Bombers live again.

Leigh

My husband is a 3rd generation Hawks supporter. His father used to deliver the footballs in a little cart to the games many years ago as his father, My husband's grandfather, worked at the place that made the balls. Being a Hawks fan has skipped a generation with the boys supporting the Eagles but our 5 year old Granddaughter loves the Hawks, much to the disgust of her father and Dockers loving mother :D

Yes, even when we lived in the US for 11 years we had International Memberships. We are running out of room to put the yearly membership scarves we have so many of them but I dare not suggest we get rid of some.

Our Essendon fan friend and my husband both had a chance to talk to Kevin Sheedy as he walked by us when we were eating lunch. We had Gold Tickets so had good access to the club rooms. He was very nice and had a great conversation with my husband about how many times each team has won premierships. He did say that 'The next time there won't be a line in the sand, there will be a bloody trench' Now that will be interesting! I have a couple of great photos too.

Leigh

Just wanted to post that you can't sail to Albuquerque :D But, you could sail to LA or San Diego and then drive a short thousand miles (about 1600 km) and you'd find us.

And, to Mic's point about Balloon Fiasco, uhh, I mean Fiesta, it is a spectacular sight. And we can park right across form the entrance to the park since DH works there! Happy to help anyone who wants to make the trip.

And, to sort of close the loop, tonight we purchased 4 tickets to the Swans at SCG on Mar 25. Ended up buying expensive sets under cover, just to be safe (since it has been pouring buckets there for a week, maybe more?). I am very proud of myself for being able to do this. Thanks to all of you--couldn't have done it without you. The match (game?) is the day we return from our cruise to the GBR, so we will need to drop our bags at hotel, go to the game, then return and checkin.

Any advice on how much time to allow to get there, get in, and to our seats (4:35 start time)? I am thinking we should head over at about 2. Ride to Central Station, follow the crowd to shuttles, then again to get off! Is that too early? Don't we have to pass thru security?

Thanks everyone

ML

Any advice on how much time to allow to get there, get in, and to our seats (4:35 start time)? I am thinking we should head over at about 2. Ride to Central Station, follow the crowd to shuttles, then again to get off! Is that too early? Don't we have to pass thru security?

Thanks everyone

ML

Hi ML

If you were feeling energetic you could walk to Central from your hotel. It is downhill then flat.

With all the roadwork, the buses might be slow and Saturday afternoons the traffic is nuts.

We get there about 45 min before game time. There is always a rush about 15 mins before it starts.

The teams do come out to warm up before the game starts.

They also have some stuff outside the SCG before the game starts as well.

I would give yourself at least an hour and a half so you can have a bit of a look around and also find your seat.

Also game has 4 approx 30 min quarters with 2 short breaks and one long one. So all up a bit over 2 1/2 hours.

Anybody near you will be happy to help with the rules when they know you are a visitor!

Where are your seats?

Thanks everyone

ML

ML,

That would be plenty of time. With your pre purchased tickets (don't forget to print them to take with you), it shouldn't take too long to get into the stadium. Yes you will go through security - I'm assuming the same as in Melbourne, all bags checked including handbags and wanded. Doesn't take too long and the lines move fairly quickly.

Leigh

ML,

That would be plenty of time. With your pre purchased tickets (don't forget to print them to take with you), it shouldn't take too long to get into the stadium. Yes you will go through security - I'm assuming the same as in Melbourne, all bags checked including handbags and wanded. Doesn't take too long and the lines move fairly quickly.

Leigh

Forgot to mention security Leigh.

No cans of drink can be brought in.

They usually just do a bit of a pat around the outside of the bag and have a quick look in.

Have never had the 'wand' but a friend had a random check once last year.

However with everything that has been going on, it might be different this year.

Hi ML

If you were feeling energetic you could walk to Central from your hotel. It is downhill then flat.

With all the roadwork, the buses might be slow and Saturday afternoons the traffic is nuts.

We get there about 45 min before game time. There is always a rush about 15 mins before it starts.

The teams do come out to warm up before the game starts.

They also have some stuff outside the SCG before the game starts as well.

I would give yourself at least an hour and a half so you can have a bit of a look around and also find your seat.

Also game has 4 approx 30 min quarters with 2 short breaks and one long one. So all up a bit over 2 1/2 hours.

Anybody near you will be happy to help with the rules when they know you are a visitor!

Where are your seats?

Actually, that's a good idea, didn't think of it. Thanks. I was thinking it would be 3 hours so good to know my estimate was a bit high. We will depend on people around us to let us know what is happening and explain the rules. I love that sort of stuff! Our seats are Churchill 8, row V, starting at seat 89. I had to make a guess at somewhat covered and not looking into the sun--how did we do?

ML

ML,

Leigh

Thank you Leigh, helpful as usual :) I think we may go a bit early, so we allow time for being lost and to take a look around. i just hope it doesn't rain. I think we will try not carrying anything with us, except maybe rain ponchos.

ML

Actually, that's a good idea, didn't think of it. Thanks. I was thinking it would be 3 hours so good to know my estimate was a bit high. We will depend on people around us to let us know what is happening and explain the rules. I love that sort of stuff! Our seats are Churchill 8, row V, starting at seat 89. I had to make a guess at somewhat covered and not looking into the sun--how did we do?

ML

You didn't do too bad. You are down towards the southern goal post and will be able to see the big screen on the other side of the field.

You definitely won't get wet. We are in Brewongle 9 (to the left of you closer to the centre) and a couple of rows in front of you and we don't get wet.

You have to walk up a lot of steps (about 3 storeys) but it is ok.

If it is ok, I will keep a record of your seat numbers and if I remember come over at half time and say hello.:)

They usually just do a bit of a pat around the outside of the bag and have a quick look in.

However with everything that has been going on, it might be different this year.

Forgot about the cans Babsjo! Everyone gets wanded in Melbourne, so it will probably follow elsewhere,

Leigh

Thank you Leigh, helpful as usual :) I think we may go a bit early, so we allow time for being lost and to take a look around. i just hope it doesn't rain. I think we will try not carrying anything with us, except maybe rain ponchos.

ML

Rain ponchos are a great idea. You can take umbrellas in but they have to stay folded in the stadium.

Leigh

on that too there is probably a camera lens size rule too mcg is meant to be 200 ml i think or 300 i get away with 270 , no smoking inside the ground too if you smoke that is not sure on other rules if many more then that

Now Don't get 2 carried away with the bringing in stuff there is some cheeky ways of doing thing

boil ya kettle of the morning and just pour the water into the thermos place a hot dog in the thermos as well (you will require a couple of thermos's for a couple .....

Bread rolls are ok to take in and when half time comes get ya thermos out pull the sausage out and place in ya bread roll and enjoy watch auskick in the middle with ahot cuppa

just remember 1 cardinel rule and that is to give the umpires are hard time and make them earn their quid

if you are people that like a bit of shananagans like letting flares of in a stadium, that will not be tolerated

Now it is like a 5000 dollar fine if ya do a nudie run on the crowd, a great way to get yaself on tv and well known for 15 minutes of fame along with high hit count on FB and Youtube

have fun its a great game to watch

Now Don't get 2 carried away with the bringing in stuff there is some cheeky ways of doing thing

boil ya kettle of the morning and just pour the water into the thermos place a hot dog in the thermos as well (you will require a couple of thermos's for a couple .....

Bread rolls are ok to take in and when half time comes get ya thermos out pull the sausage out and place in ya bread roll and enjoy watch auskick in the middle with ahot cuppa

just remember 1 cardinel rule and that is to give the umpires are hard time and make them earn their quid

if you are people that like a bit of shananagans like letting flares of in a stadium, that will not be tolerated

Now it is like a 5000 dollar fine if ya do a nudie run on the crowd, a great way to get yaself on tv and well known for 15 minutes of fame along with high hit count on FB and Youtube

they are the best hotdogs and cheap too lol compared to what you would pay at the ground for same thing

Well certainly no flying for you and Mrs Gut. I dearly love Melbourne but as far as cruising goes, I envy you just having a car trip to reach Sydney. Once I retire at the end of this year, we will have more opportunity to choose cruises from Melbourne, perhaps one or two to Tassie.

Leigh

It is handy, but we still go the day before, been held up on the F3 too often to risk it.

Re the umps comments on his eyesight and parentage are always called for.

Things like

Where's ya white cane

Or

Did ya mum and dad even meet

Or when he blows a penalty "about time they've been doing it all day"

Will either make you some great mates or enemies depending on which supporter group you are among and who the penalty went to.

You didn't do too bad. You are down towards the southern goal post and will be able to see the big screen on the other side of the field.

You definitely won't get wet. We are in Brewongle 9 (to the left of you closer to the centre) and a couple of rows in front of you and we don't get wet.

You have to walk up a lot of steps (about 3 storeys) but it is ok.

If it is ok, I will keep a record of your seat numbers and if I remember come over at half time and say hello.:)

Hi Babsjo

Thanks for letting us know about the seats. I never considered the many stairs :D I don't suppose there is a lift? We can make it, maybe we can take a set up one story, then walk over to the next one!

Wow, it would be lovely to meet you, excellent idea. I did mis-state our seats--we are in row V but seats start at 86, end at 89. I will keep an eye out for you and try not to have to make a trip to the loo!!

One additional question. I just printed our tickets in black and white--is this acceptable? I can print them in color if needed but I usually try and save my color ink :)

Thanks and hope to see you on Mar 25th

ML