Lincoln Tunnel or George Washington Bridge

woods79

Looking for feedback on crossing into New York from the George Washington Bridge. What's traffic, roads, etc. Like once you cross into NY?

We crossed via the Lincoln Tunnel in 2015 and missed our turn due to traffic and being unfamiliar with the area. Had to back track a bit and was nervous for few minutes!

Any feedback or tips for the areas are appreciated!

Looking for feedback on crossing into New York from the George Washington Bridge. What's traffic, roads, etc. Like once you cross into NY?

We crossed via the Lincoln Tunnel in 2015 and missed our turn due to traffic and being unfamiliar with the area. Had to back track a bit and was nervous for few minutes!

Any feedback or tips for the areas are appreciated!

Where are you coming from and where are you trying to go?

It looks like you're trying to get to the Breakaway on a Sunday morning from I80. Absolutely use the GW Bridge unless there is some sort of huge traffic mess (1010 or 880 AM for traffic reports) which is unlikely on a Sun morning.

If you end up on the upper bridge, you want to be in the far right lane and take the very first exit at the end of the bridge to get onto the Henry Hudson Parkway South. If you end up on the lower bridge, you want to be in the far left lane to take the very first exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway South.

The HH Pkwy/West Side Hwy ends at the Manhattan Cruise terminal. Couldn't be easier.

We've done it both ways, and we are 10 miles east of the Lincoln tunnel. Although the distance is longer using the GWB for us, it's almost as quick, because you are on the right side of the street, and don't need a U turn. We used the tunnel the last time, I think we'll use the GWB the next time.

It looks like you're trying to get to the Breakaway on a Sunday morning from I80. Absolutely use the GW Bridge unless there is some sort of huge traffic mess (1010 or 880 AM for traffic reports) which is unlikely on a Sun morning.

If you end up on the upper bridge, you want to be in the far right lane and take the very first exit at the end of the bridge to get onto the Henry Hudson Parkway South. If you end up on the lower bridge, you want to be in the far left lane to take the very first exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway South.

The HH Pkwy/West Side Hwy ends at the Manhattan Cruise terminal. Couldn't be easier.

Thanks for the tips. How do you chose what level you get on? I guess you pay your toll before you get on the bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the tips. How do you chose what level you get on? I guess you pay your toll before you get on the bridge?

The I80 access to the GW is massive. There are plenty of signs and opportunities to choose the upper or lower level. I prefer the upper level, but others don't. You pay the toll before getting on the bridge, so normally the traffic is moving on the bridge, so it's easy to get into the correct lane. The HH Pkwy exit is literally at the end of the bridge - you don't want to miss it. The Pkwy runs along the edge of the Hudson (great views) all the way to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and is cars only. You stay to the right and follow the signs.

Here are the details about getting into the Cruiseport with pictures. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865 The recommendation is to go directly to the parking and bring your bags down on the elevator to give them to the porters. This saves you having to exit the luggage drop off area and circle around on Manhattan streets to access the cruise parking.

Edited by 138east

Yes, the toll gate is on the New Jersey side. There are signs on the approach roads for upper and lower levels. While you still can get to the Henry Hudson Parkway from the lower level, it is easier from the upper level - from right lane.

Once on the Henry Hudson, it is a straight shot to the cruise terminal, with an easy, well marked exit; much better than the Lincoln Tunnel option.

Driving in from I-80 East toward NYC (without knowing whether you are doing an overnight hotel stop somewhere ... it's a long drive from the Niagara border crossings) - use GPS or Maps/Navigation for G.W. Bridge crossing. You can also listen to AM Radio Station 880 or 1010, with updated major traffic alerts every 10 minutes, on every 8 or 11 minutes on the hour - has been faithful using it for driving around NYC for 40 years, way before the internet days - as an overnight major accident, hazmat spills or emergency construction can bring gridlocks and traffic to a near standstill ... 2 to 3 hours delays even on a "quiet" weekend morning. One recent fatal accident on the Bronx side of I-95 resulted in a 6+ hours massive jam all the way out to NJ.

As you approach Saddle Brook, NJ or the split for Garden State Parkway (around Exit 62 on I-80) - there will be signage, including huge digital display for best route to GWB via upper or lower level (truck/commercial traffic & buses are restricted to upper crossing, unless there is road work or closure, etc. due to bridge height restrictions. You will have clearly marked cross-over lanes to/from Local or Express lanes (latter is for upper level) on that last 12 to 15 miles "final" approach to NYC ... 2 lanes for express & thru traffic to bridge and 2 lanes for local + merges/exits)

Also, lower level GWB is EZ-Pass toll only with cash accepted at upper level, collected just one-way into NY, Gasoline prices are cheaper in the U.S. and especially in NJ, 10 to 20 cents lower per gallon vs. NY, so fill up for gas tank by planning your restroom stop. Waze app on iPhone & Android are best for real-time navigation and used by commuters & drivers daily, very reliable and accurate as I can verify its use from my frequent trips - including the alternative Rt. 46 approach into GWB, especially when traffic is a big mess ... cellular data usage is required to run it.

Driving in from I-80 East toward NYC (without knowing whether you are doing an overnight hotel stop somewhere ... it's a long drive from the Niagara border crossings) - use GPS or Maps/Navigation for G.W. Bridge crossing. You can also listen to AM Radio Station 880 or 1010, with updated major traffic alerts every 10 minutes, on every 8 or 11 minutes on the hour - has been faithful using it for driving around NYC for 40 years, way before the internet days - as an overnight major accident, hazmat spills or emergency construction can bring gridlocks and traffic to a near standstill ... 2 to 3 hours delays even on a "quiet" weekend morning. One recent fatal accident on the Bronx side of I-95 resulted in a 6+ hours massive jam all the way out to NJ.

As you approach Saddle Brook, NJ or the split for Garden State Parkway (around Exit 62 on I-80) - there will be signage, including huge digital display for best route to GWB via upper or lower level (truck/commercial traffic & buses are restricted to upper crossing, unless there is road work or closure, etc. due to bridge height restrictions. You will have clearly marked cross-over lanes to/from Local or Express lanes (latter is for upper level) on that last 12 to 15 miles "final" approach to NYC ... 2 lanes for express & thru traffic to bridge and 2 lanes for local + merges/exits)

Also, lower level GWB is EZ-Pass toll only with cash accepted at upper level, collected just one-way into NY, Gasoline prices are cheaper in the U.S. and especially in NJ, 10 to 20 cents lower per gallon vs. NY, so fill up for gas tank by planning your restroom stop. Waze app on iPhone & Android are best for real-time navigation and used by commuters & drivers daily, very reliable and accurate as I can verify its use from my frequent trips - including the alternative Rt. 46 approach into GWB, especially when traffic is a big mess ... cellular data usage is required to run it.

Sadly, there is no more cheap gas in NJ because of a recent gas tax added - but it's still full service! But stop by for a cheap slice of pizza, or a $23 mani-pedi at one of our many Asian nail salons.

Sadly, there is no more cheap gas in NJ because of a recent gas tax added - but it's still full service! But stop by for a cheap slice of pizza, or a $23 mani-pedi at one of our many Asian nail salons.

Yes, the gas tax was raised by 20 cents and gas in NJ is not as low as it previously was but characterizing it as "no more cheap gas" is wrong. I paid $2.23 per gallon for unleaded this past Thursday. I remember paying over $4 per gallon more than 9 years ago.:(

Yes, the gas tax was raised by 20 cents and gas in NJ is not as low as it previously was but characterizing it as "no more cheap gas" is wrong. I paid $2.23 per gallon for unleaded this past Thursday. I remember paying over $4 per gallon more than 9 years ago.:(

And it's still cheaper than in New York

Gas Buddy is my "go to" mobile App to find & plan ahead for gas, driving a 4 cycl. AWD that sip gas at 27 to 29 mpg hwy do help, although the H. Sonata V6 can get 40+ mpg hwy - depending on loads.

NJ gas prices are higher & regulated on the Turnpike & GSP but on other routes (Rt. 46, Rt 4, and Rt 1 or 9, etc. ) careful shopping & cash can - still - yield 30 to 35 cents a gallon saving over same brand/octane level in NYC (not to be mention, there's only a half doz. of gas station in all of Manhattan, if you know where to find them ... rest are across the East River in Queens & Brooklyn, and most won't dare to venture into "The Bronx" NJ's higher taxes last Fall did make it less appealing to fill up across the Hudson but I always top-off when returning to the city, unless I am in a hurry. The higher NJ-NY toll crossing has signifcantly cut our weekend runs to do the infrequent outlet shopping.

Last weekend, regular gas was $2.459 on the "Pike" and GSP vs. $2.559 in Queens (this one infamous place on the Hutch. River Pkwy in the Bronx charing $3.599) but on Rt. 46 - paid just $2.259 ... lots of competition ... nope, didn't noticed nail salons where I usually stop, just before the GWB ... ship's prices are always double or triple vs. those on land, YMMV said DW.

For others already nervous about driving into the "edges" of NYC for a cruise, sharing some useful & practical tips should be what we try our best to do ... it's not fun to be on a 3/8 or 1/4 tank of gas and getting off onto local streets with no gas stations anywhere to be found in late nights or pre-dawn hours.

Happy & safe driving for all into NY area for cruising and be careful about potholes & mini-craters on area highways as the cycles of freeze & thraw begin, despite a very mild winter thus far. Let's see where those extra gas taxes are going for infrastructure improvements this Spring.