Discovered that many people are really polarized about the paid dining options

On my cruise last week, I found that you run into some people that choose not to take advantage of the paid dining options. That's fine, the main dining room is between decent to very good on most nights.

The thing that I find interesting is that some people seem very opinionated/offended if you even suggest that a certain pay restaurant was "worth it" or a good value. Had a heated debate in the Solarium with a few other couples. A casual observer from a distance away might assume we were arguing about either religion or US politics. Just seemed amusing.

I have been on 14 cruises all with my DH and 2 best friends....we have never eaten in a paid restaurant. We are content with the free options although not really free! Cruising is your vacation and all should make it what they want to enhance that vacation experience so if it's your choice to try specially restaurants who is anyone to argue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I've popped into the buffet to refill my soda I've always seen lots of smiling faces and overloaded plates. RCL must be getting this about right for most people.

For me though the food is by and large below the standard I'll willing eat. Some of it's pretty good but the majority isn't. This is fine, we just pay for the better meals each evening.

The economics of filling these large ships requires that a lot of people are not paying very much; there aren't enough affluent people who want to cruise to fill these ships. Since so many are paying next to nothing the included food options need to cost next to nothing for a profit to be turned; those who normally eat without budgetary constraint are certainly going to notice the quality issue but this is not the majority of passengers.

RCL is essentially running a class structure - there's the "steerage" experience and the "first class" experience; as has happened time immemorial on ships both set of passengers can be accommodated at the same time.

for many of us, it is not only or just about 'better' quality food. ambience, atmosphere and personal attention is also a factor.

yes I can buy the Chops filet in the MDR for slightly less money. But for a few bucks more, I get a quieter( usually) place to dine where you can actually carry on a conversation at a normal volume, a waiter who has fewer other tables to be responsible for and a lot of the time, a better view. its more relaxed, and presentation is nicer.

to mr spook and I, that is equally as important when choosing where to eat.

The last time we dined at the MDR was 2015 Thanksgiving dinner on the Anthem. We were on My Time Dinning with reservations. We still had to wait 45 mins, then the food was very slow and it was cold! Service was terrible, we saw our server twice, once when she took our order and once when she dropped off the food and we never saw her again. We didn't even get our water refilled!

Ever since then, 5 cruises on, we have never set foot in a MDR! I would rather pay, get better food and enjoy our dinner during our vacations. We do enjoy Coastal Kitchen if you call that "free" dining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of you are missing the mark here. While it is true that everyone should be free to enjoy their cruise in their own way, many feel like RCI is intentionally lowering the quality of the MDR food to steer you into a specialty restaurant. It's manipulation. On our last 2 RCI cruises in 2016, both on the same ship, but 6 months apart, there was a distinct difference in MDR food. Not only had many items been removed, but what they replaced those items with was of lower quality. It was very surprising that the food could change that much in 6 months.

We will be on NOTS in March. If the food quality has continued its downward trend, we will begin considering other cruise lines. My guess is that RCI will continue this pattern until it effects the bottom line. To me it seems like they are looking for that "breaking point", and they haven't quite reached it yet. My expectation is that the included food quality will continue it's descent for a while longer.

Most of you are missing the mark here. While it is true that everyone should be free to enjoy their cruise in their own way, many feel like RCI is intentionally lowering the quality of the MDR food to steer you into a specialty restaurant. It's manipulation. On our last 2 RCI cruises in 2016, both on the same ship, but 6 months apart, there was a distinct difference in MDR food. Not only had many items been removed, but what they replaced those items with was of lower quality. It was very surprising that the food could change that much in 6 months.

We will be on NOTS in March. If the food quality has continued its downward trend, we will begin considering other cruise lines. My guess is that RCI will continue this pattern until it effects the bottom line. To me it seems like they are looking for that "breaking point", and they haven't quite reached it yet. My expectation is that the included food quality will continue it's descent for a while longer.

People keep saying that the food is in constant decline, and I've still not noticed it. Heck, the last cruise, the beef I ordered (just to see if it's any good) was really well cooked, and tasted great. 3 years ago it was terrible.

And we cruise a lot.

But to counter that argument- people also keep demanding that the costs get pushed down... so, you get what you asked for.

I happen to be one who enjoys the specialty restaurants. On Allure of the Seas last month, we had 5 meals in the different restaurants. I find it far more relaxing to go to Chops, Giovanni's etc. than going to the MDR. We did have 2 dinners in the MDR and they were ok. I did notice how much noisier it was in there.

I didn't think the food was poor quality when we had dinner in the MDR. We went the 2nd formal night and the last night. I have sailed on many different lines and the complaint is pretty much the same regarding the food. Most of the complaints are that the quality or choices are not as good as they were even a few years ago. Changing to another line is, in my opinion, not going to make things any better, but if you haven't sailed that line previously, you won't notice the downgrades.

I do hope that cruisers on the major lines continue to dislike paying extra for the better atmosphere and food so that I have no trouble making reservations for when and where I want.

I can see both sides of this argument... i'm very anxious to see how it goes for us on the FOTS next week - we are booked in Chops for one night (our little 10-yr anniversary gift to ourselves - DD will be in the nursery), and will do MDR the rest of the time... we *might* do Giovanni's if we get offered a good deal. We'll see.

What I don't understand, however, is the "paying what you would pay at a land restaurant" argument (against specialty)... that's ridiculous - and to those who keep spouting that, PLEASE tell me what upscale steakhouse will serve you *multiple* appetizers, *multiple entrees* and *multiple desserts* for $35/pp. Please tell me - as every nice steakhouse DH & I have ever been to, anywhere, has cost us bare minimum $70 per person for ONE of each course....

So, yeah.. maybe if you have zero appetite and aren't a foodie, then obviously paying for a specialty restaurant doesn't make sense for you... but surely you realize that many people aren't like that? :confused:

I definitely agree with the "manipulation" theory....the food PRIOR to specialty restaurants was always tasty and artfully presented....dining was an EXPERIENCE...not just a 'meal"....and, it was included in your fare!

I do foresee a day when only the buffet is included. A shame.

Once again, why do people care so much how other people spend their money. geez.

LOL! At breakfast once in the MDR we were just short of lambasted by a woman who thought we were fools for booking a suite when we could have booked an inside and cruised five more times that year. It was a holy crap moment. We just sat there at a loss for words. When her and her companion left the table a chorus of eye rolls and 'wows' ensued followed by laughter from others at the table.

What I don't understand, however, is the "paying what you would pay at a land restaurant" argument (against specialty)... that's ridiculous - and to those who keep spouting that, PLEASE tell me what upscale steakhouse will serve you *multiple* appetizers, *multiple entrees* and *multiple desserts* for $35/pp. Please tell me - as every nice steakhouse DH & I have ever been to, anywhere, has cost us bare minimum $70 per person for ONE of each course....

Don't forget that you have already paid X dollars for (unlimited) food in the MDR which you won't be eating. I'd guess $20, maybe $30 since it is as you say unlimited everything in the MDR (you didn't actually say that but it is true, and the selection in the MDR is actually wider). So the specialty restaurant needs to be at least $55 of goodness pushing to $65. Oh and when I've paid $70 for a steak dinner it's been better than Chops.

I agree with the posters who say the MDR is down a little from 4-5 years ago. I noticed last cruise that some of the (forget what they call them) every dinner menu alternatives like NY or they may have called it Manhattan strip was missing completely. The MDR is not bad, but not as good and it seems the waiters don't have the time to fuss that they used to. Waiters who take time with you certainly add to the atmosphere. We often travel with new cruisers who have experience at 5 star all-inclusives and they used to be impressed with the MDR but that doesn't happen any more.

I happen to be one who enjoys the specialty restaurants. On Allure of the Seas last month, we had 5 meals in the different restaurants. I find it far more relaxing to go to Chops, Giovanni's etc. than going to the MDR. We did have 2 dinners in the MDR and they were ok. I did notice how much noisier it was in there.

I didn't think the food was poor quality when we had dinner in the MDR. We went the 2nd formal night and the last night. I have sailed on many different lines and the complaint is pretty much the same regarding the food. Most of the complaints are that the quality or choices are not as good as they were even a few years ago. Changing to another line is, in my opinion, not going to make things any better, but if you haven't sailed that line previously, you won't notice the downgrades.

I do hope that cruisers on the major lines continue to dislike paying extra for the better atmosphere and food so that I have no trouble making reservations for when and where I want.

I am right there with you. I would prefer to eat in the specialties every night of the cruise.

Has anyone noticed if the dining rooms are less full at dinner because people are paying the extra for the other restaurants?

I think they are less full because more people are going to Windjammer.

On my cruise last week, I found that you run into some people that choose not to take advantage of the paid dining options. That's fine, the main dining room is between decent to very good on most nights.

The thing that I find interesting is that some people seem very opinionated/offended if you even suggest that a certain pay restaurant was "worth it" or a good value. Had a heated debate in the Solarium with a few other couples. A casual observer from a distance away might assume we were arguing about either religion or US politics. Just seemed amusing.

For some reason, many people take it VERY personally when someone doesn't share their opinion. If you don't care for their favorite restaurant, somehow you're insulting them and everything they stand for. Silly, especially when it comes to things that are as subjective as food and "value"

I can't say that I've noticed a marked decline in the quality of the MDR food over the last decade or so that we've been cruising.

The food, to me, has always been pretty good, but not great. I do appreciate that they have some dishes I haven't had before and wouldn't see in most of the restaurants we go to.

We did have an issue with MDR service a couple or three cruises back, but we mentioned the issue to the Maitre D and the next night and the rest of the cruise was a complete turnaround.

In any event, it seems to me that with a couple or more thousand passengers fed per evening, there is always someone who got he worst entree of the night, so anecdotal evidence doesn't cut it with me.

We do love the specialty restaurants, usually, once or twice per cruise. One of the best, by the way, was lunch at Giovanni's Table. Really a nice experience.

Heres how I see it:

Part of the cruise value is the all-inclusive food, part of your fare.

So one reason I think it is silly to pay for specialty is you have already paid for the food.

Say you choose to dine at Izumi and pay $50 for 2. Well, youve given up on your MDR option, which is an opportunity cost I would value around $15 per person.

So in reality you just paid $80 for your meal.

Why would I pay $80 for frozen sushi on a ship when I can get higher quality food for less on land? Especially when the folks on land are gettng paid more and have more overhead to cover.

Same deal with the Italian options. I can find better quality Italian for less on land.

Then you have the "premium" reasoning.

Undoubtedly, the steak in Chops is of superior quality than the steak in the MDR. But....

many feel like RCI is intentionally lowering the quality of the MDR food to steer you into a specialty restaurant. It's manipulation. On our last 2 RCI cruises in 2016, both on the same ship, but 6 months apart, there was a distinct difference in MDR food. Not only had many items been removed, but what they replaced those items with was of lower quality. It was very surprising that the food could change that much in 6 months.

Part of what makes it superior quality is that the free (ie, pre-paid) option keeps getting cheaper and cheaper.

End result:

As people support paid options, more ship space is dedicated to them. As more space is dedicated to them, RCL must do more to fill them. That means steering people to them by making the free options unappetizing.

So one reason people HATE paid dining is that even trying them is "voting with your wallet" and validating RCLs decision to devote more and more space to them and decrease the quality of food elsewhere.

Disclaimer: The one and only time I paid for specialty food was Wonderland. Why? That is truly a unique experience that as far as I know, cannot be replicated on land.

For those of us who have been cruising for years, it has become quite obvious the cruise lines did a great job of training everyone into paying extra for their dinner. Initially cruising consisted of over the top food choices, nightly midnight buffets, desert rooms all included in your fare. Then, they introduced "specialty" restaurants. Wow....fancy...and costs were low...10, 15 dollars per person. Then they set the hook.........dining room food and service is degraded. No more nightly midnight buffets. The cost for "specialty" restaurants has skyrocketed...$40, $50, $100.00 per person.... the food served in some cases is not really that much better than what is being served in the included dining room. So yeah...I can see the argument from some regarding these specialty joints. As for me....of course we pay a few times each cruise.....after all.....I have been trained.

LOL! At breakfast once in the MDR we were just short of lambasted by a woman who thought we were fools for booking a suite when we could have booked an inside and cruised five more times that year.

I guess she thinks everyone can take 5 weeks off work whenever they want.

I think there are some people that can't be content with their decisions being the best choice for them and their situation. Their superior decisions and opinions must be acknowledged as the best choice for all people in all circumstances.