Help please MSC Seaside or NCL Getaway

sarasotacruising

A loyal Celebrity Cruiser but Christmas/New Year we look to other cruise lines. Have a dilemma as have booked both NSC Seaside New Year Sailing and NCL Getaway New Year Sailing. Taking my daughter for her sweet 16 so treating 3 of her friends as well. We have booked for us spa stateroom so get access to spa area and we will get there early to hopefully book Vibe cabana for the week (mini suite preferable but spa mini suite under pool deck so noise issues) and a regular balcony for the kids. First cruise on NCL was christmas on Epic - hated layout but booked last minute (48 hours before) and we enjoyed. Knew food was going to be issue in MDR so booked 5 night speciality dinner and food was great. This time booked drinks package and dinner and paid to increase to 7 night speciality dinner. My daughters enjoyed NCL so we booked. Then saw video of new MSC ship Seaside which looks amazing. So booked two aurea suites with larger balconies and we get drinks package plus massage and access to adult only sunbathing deck and spa area. On both cruises got $1000 OBC via our agent plus free gratuities on NCL cruise. Pricewise the NCL a bit more expensive but we have to pay for gratuities on MSC but don't have to pay for adult area on MSC. Then we don't know prices yet for speciality dining but the prices will be very similar except we will be on brand new ship with MSC in suites with large balconies. Issue is that MSC from reviews of Divina traditionally has lot of non english speaking guests and crew - not an issue for us but for my kids (one who will be 18 when we cruise so first time no teen club) and food seemed to be issue but speciality dining will solve that. What makes it harder is no reviews of course for Seaside as inaugural cruise not until Dec 1. Anyone know about % of english speaking on MSC out of Miami over the holiday period in past? Assuming that as this new ship that they will base in Miami they will address complaints of previous ship re service and food otherwise they may have problems competing with such a large ship.

We chose the Divina for New Years Eve over the Getaway this past year, but strictly over price. Getaway would have been about 50% more for us.

We had been on the Divina and the Getaway's sister ship Breakaway previously. We love both ships.

There were many cruisers on Divina from other countries, but they made it clear at the beginning of the cruise that English is the primary language of the ship.

For our tastes, the diversity in guests was a plus. We met other cruisers from Brazil, Uruguay, Russia who were very interesting.

Thanks. It is a hard one as of course no sailings to look at reviews for seaside. Speaking last night to my travel agent who is also a good friend says go for Seaside over Getaway because: 1) suite of 300 sq ft with 100 sq ft balcony over NCL balcony room about 160 sq ft with small balcony 2) Brand new ship 3) Much hype for this ship 4) Inaugural season can be make or break and MSC will make sure all issues from reviews of Divina e.g. food and service etc are addressed 5) She believes a lot of english speaking guests will be on board 5) We get drinks package same as NCL 6) Free massage for area and the sunbathing deck 7) Eataly dining venues though we did like speciality restaurants on NCL 8) Final pricing is MSC is $395 more in total for two suites (7 people) over regular balcony rooms of NCL. So leaning towards MSC increasingly as see videos of new ship

A loyal Celebrity Cruiser but Christmas/New Year we look to other cruise lines. Have a dilemma as have booked both NSC Seaside New Year Sailing and NCL Getaway New Year Sailing. Taking my daughter for her sweet 16 so treating 3 of her friends as well. We have booked for us spa stateroom so get access to spa area and we will get there early to hopefully book Vibe cabana for the week (mini suite preferable but spa mini suite under pool deck so noise issues) and a regular balcony for the kids. First cruise on NCL was christmas on Epic - hated layout but booked last minute (48 hours before) and we enjoyed. Knew food was going to be issue in MDR so booked 5 night speciality dinner and food was great. This time booked drinks package and dinner and paid to increase to 7 night speciality dinner. My daughters enjoyed NCL so we booked. Then saw video of new MSC ship Seaside which looks amazing. So booked two aurea suites with larger balconies and we get drinks package plus massage and access to adult only sunbathing deck and spa area. On both cruises got $1000 OBC via our agent plus free gratuities on NCL cruise. Pricewise the NCL a bit more expensive but we have to pay for gratuities on MSC but don't have to pay for adult area on MSC. Then we don't know prices yet for speciality dining but the prices will be very similar except we will be on brand new ship with MSC in suites with large balconies. Issue is that MSC from reviews of Divina traditionally has lot of non english speaking guests and crew - not an issue for us but for my kids (one who will be 18 when we cruise so first time no teen club) and food seemed to be issue but speciality dining will solve that. What makes it harder is no reviews of course for Seaside as inaugural cruise not until Dec 1. Anyone know about % of english speaking on MSC out of Miami over the holiday period in past? Assuming that as this new ship that they will base in Miami they will address complaints of previous ship re service and food otherwise they may have problems competing with such a large ship.

There is a lot here, but Ill give you my take. I have been on the Getaway and the Divina (obviously nobody has been on the Seaside, although Im going in March of 2018,) I really liked both ships. Frankly I dont think you'll go wrong either way. My kids are younger but will teens I think they will really love the Getaway. Its very active. The Divina is less so, BUT the Seaside looks like it will be much more like the NCL ships. There on non english speakers on every ship on every line. We never had an issue talking to anyone we needed to on the Divina. As far as the food goes, we really like it overall on both. The more recent Divina reviews do not have the food complaints that some of the earlier reviews had and I think the seaside will be even better as they will have more options. Honestly, go for the best deal and itinerary. Whatever that means to you. We really enjoyed the Getaway and would sail it again in a second. At the same time we are looking forward the Seaside as well. Hope that helps

Good advice here....obviously, no Seaside experiences are out there. Been on the Divina and Getaway, though, YC and Haven respectively.

I have reviews of both in my signatures, along with some pics.

Given the MSC cruise is freshest in my mind (Oct), I can comment hopefully more accurately. First and foremost, crew was outstanding in both the Haven and YC. YC is a little different in that they are a bit more laid back in their approach to service. Aside from having a Butler greet me at the MSC luggage check in area (where he actually carried my luggage for me), they never approached me until I approached them. Some like that, some don't. I did! I don't need anyone fawning all over me. I'll let you know when I need something. My Butler did approach me as soon as I got to my cabin and asked what alcoholic and soft drinks I wanted in the room, and if I wanted any sort of juices. He also asked what newspaper I wanted delivered to my room every morning. I appreciated those gestures. Same for the Concierge....they responded when I needed something, but not until I needed something.

In the Haven, while not better or worse, just different, my Butler(s) were always sort of around asking me what I needed. "Nothing, I'm fine". Or maybe "I would like this sort of snack". And, that's about all I needed. The Concierges also were more "can I do anything for you?" type mode. Again, just a different "vibe" from the YC.

As much as I love the Haven (and I really do) and the private areas, YC takes that to another level. It is absolutely gorgeous, overlooking the bow of the ship. The private pool area is also bigger than the Haven's. There were snacks and drinks always available in the YC. And, the tables and chairs were quite comfy. Loved reading the morning newspaper and drinking coffee there in the a.m. It was easy to drop in and drop out of the YC. There was one day that I actually had the (light) breakfast and lunch in the YC without going to the YC restaurant, Le Muse (which is also quite good). The down side, Le Muse is all the way on the other side of the ship. It's private and it's excellent (better than the Haven Restaurant, IMHO). But, you're traipsing the length of the ship to get there from the YC.....an inconvenience.

The Haven you actually have a private restaurant right there, where the bar is and the pool area is. Nice touch.

Lots of other little differences, and there is no way you'll be anything but very pleased on either cruise. Pricing in the YC as WAY UNDER what the Haven cost, however (by thousands, not undreds).

I think MSC is disrupting the cruise market in FLA. The only thing holding them back is they only have one (extremely nice ship) saling the Caribbean, and will have two sailing there next year. They are gulfed in size by the big 3 (NCL, CCL, RCCL). But, they make up for that by providing as good, and many times, a better product for a more reasonable price.

Good advice here....obviously, no Seaside experiences are out there. Been on the Divina and Getaway, though, YC and Haven respectively.

I have reviews of both in my signatures, along with some pics.

Given the MSC cruise is freshest in my mind (Oct), I can comment hopefully more accurately. First and foremost, crew was outstanding in both the Haven and YC. YC is a little different in that they are a bit more laid back in their approach to service. Aside from having a Butler greet me at the MSC luggage check in area (where he actually carried my luggage for me), they never approached me until I approached them. Some like that, some don't. I did! I don't need anyone fawning all over me. I'll let you know when I need something. My Butler did approach me as soon as I got to my cabin and asked what alcoholic and soft drinks I wanted in the room, and if I wanted any sort of juices. He also asked what newspaper I wanted delivered to my room every morning. I appreciated those gestures. Same for the Concierge....they responded when I needed something, but not until I needed something.

In the Haven, while not better or worse, just different, my Butler(s) were always sort of around asking me what I needed. "Nothing, I'm fine". Or maybe "I would like this sort of snack". And, that's about all I needed. The Concierges also were more "can I do anything for you?" type mode. Again, just a different "vibe" from the YC.

As much as I love the Haven (and I really do) and the private areas, YC takes that to another level. It is absolutely gorgeous, overlooking the bow of the ship. The private pool area is also bigger than the Haven's. There were snacks and drinks always available in the YC. And, the tables and chairs were quite comfy. Loved reading the morning newspaper and drinking coffee there in the a.m. It was easy to drop in and drop out of the YC. There was one day that I actually had the (light) breakfast and lunch in the YC without going to the YC restaurant, Le Muse (which is also quite good). The down side, Le Muse is all the way on the other side of the ship. It's private and it's excellent (better than the Haven Restaurant, IMHO). But, you're traipsing the length of the ship to get there from the YC.....an inconvenience.

The Haven you actually have a private restaurant right there, where the bar is and the pool area is. Nice touch.

Lots of other little differences, and there is no way you'll be anything but very pleased on either cruise. Pricing in the YC as WAY UNDER what the Haven cost, however (by thousands, not undreds).

I think MSC is disrupting the cruise market in FLA. The only thing holding them back is they only have one (extremely nice ship) saling the Caribbean, and will have two sailing there next year. They are gulfed in size by the big 3 (NCL, CCL, RCCL). But, they make up for that by providing as good, and many times, a better product for a more reasonable price.

I just started another thread before I read your post. This is exactly the info I was looking for, so thank you!

not even a free cruise will make me to go on NCL again. I really don't understand why non English speaking passengers can be a problem for 18 years old? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The haven is top-notch. We love it. As for MSC, I just noticed they do not have any 2-bedroom cabins in the yacht club. Ugh ... that's too bad.

How did you manage to book a stateroom with just teens? NCL usually won't allow that.

We booked one adult in each room and NCL said they understand we will move an adult on board and so that adult will be given the spa access. Same with Aqua class on Celebrity next year - the aqua room is booked opposite the inside room but the inside room has door on side of room where access passage way goes top the inside rooms. They said the door is 6 foot further than their rules so we had to book an adult in the teen room and they have put on notes that the adult in the inside room will have access to Blu, the persian gardens, the bee package which is not free in inside room and the additional captains club points - seems stupid that they have put this all in notes saying that adult will switch with teen on check in - so why not let us book that way anyway??

not even a free cruise will make me to go on NCL again. I really don't understand why non English speaking passengers can be a problem for 18 years old? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just concern that the teens (4-16 year olds) as well wont have as much fun in teen club if predominantly non english speaking - we first went on MSC in 1999 out of Italy so expected, and we were only english speaking guests and staff spoke broken english - we enjoyed but had no idea what was being said in shows or the games

We booked one adult in each room and NCL said they understand we will move an adult on board and so that adult will be given the spa access.

That was going to be my next question. Excellent about the spa passes. :)

As far as promos, they aren't always willing to "switch" when adults are split. If (for ex.) the teen room wanted internet/SDP but the adults wanted UBP/SDP, NCL might not be willing to let the promos go the way that people want.

...seems stupid that they have put this all in notes saying that adult will switch with teen on check in - so why not let us book that way anyway??

I agree. It's the same cost, the adults are still responsible for the minors, and everything should be handled with common sense.

The down side, Le Muse is all the way on the other side of the ship. It's private and it's excellent (better than the Haven Restaurant, IMHO). But, you're traipsing the length of the ship to get there from the YC.....an inconvenience.

On Seaside, the restaurant is in the Yacht Club.

I have been on Getaway recently and will be booking Seaside. I'm going with Seaside because everything is cheaper including drinks, activities, internet. There also seems to be more to do on board for kids: 5D theater, high tech water/video game ride, biggest zip line at sea, etc... I don't think language will be a problem on this ship in the Caribbean from what I read about other cruises out of Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sarasotacruising can you email me your TA? That's an awesome deal!!! Kerryv1976@hotmail.com

Oh also the pool situation seems much better on MSC. It was pretty tiny on Getaway.

I think your assessment of the differences is quite accurate except for the above statement. I've sailed getaway, breakaway, and divina (twice). Without a doubt, the divina pool deck is way more crowded than the away ships and I didn't think that was possible!

Some of the crowding comes because MSC does not have a stellar passenger space ratio to begin with. Add kids sail free (more cabins at 4 per cabin) and you've got some serious elbow room challenges. On top of all that, the starboard side of deck 14 is set up with tables selling trinkets stuff on sea days and the port side of 14 is regular tables and chairs to cater to the larger percentage of smokers onboard so less deck space is available for loungers.

MSC should come with a much lower price tag and in that regard i think she is probably the best value sailing today. However; that inexpensive price tag does come with some cost cutting measures you should expect to notice onboard. It's not fair to expect champaign served on a beer budget :)

I have been on Getaway recently and will be booking Seaside. I'm going with Seaside because everything is cheaper including drinks, activities, internet. There also seems to be more to do on board for kids: 5D theater, high tech water/video game ride, biggest zip line at sea, etc... I don't think language will be a problem on this ship in the Caribbean from what I read about other cruises out of Miami.

Many of the extra kid activities are at an extra charge tho. I'm not a big fan of nickel and diming....especially with kids involved.....I wanted to sail them next spring but not a fan of all the extra charges!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I think your assessment of the differences is quite accurate except for the above statement. I've sailed getaway, breakaway, and divina (twice). Without a doubt, the divina pool deck is way more crowded than the away ships and I didn't think that was possible!

Some of the crowding comes because MSC does not have a stellar passenger space ratio to begin with. Add kids sail free (more cabins at 4 per cabin) and you've got some serious elbow room challenges. On top of all that, the starboard side of deck 14 is set up with tables selling trinkets stuff on sea days and the port side of 14 is regular tables and chairs to cater to the larger percentage of smokers onboard so less deck space is available for loungers.

MSC should come with a much lower price tag and in that regard i think she is probably the best value sailing today. However; that inexpensive price tag does come with some cost cutting measures you should expect to notice onboard. It's not fair to expect champaign served on a beer budget :)

Yes I did hear that but was thinking of the new Seaside with multiple pools. I really hate the nickel and dining for stuff it's irritating.

We did Getaway last May, and had a fantastic time. Originally, I was hoping to do an Escape next January, but when comparing it to MSC it was significantly more expensive for our family. Significantly. So we are giving MSC a try. I am a little bit concerned that they are going to have a lot of add on costs for their activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums