"Transfer to Rome" drop off and pick up location?

WayneFougere

Hi Wayne !

Could you be more specific ?

Drop off in Rome* or Civitaveccia port ?

* For Rome, maybe at the FCO airport ?

Holacanada

Wayne is talking about the "Rome on your own" AKA "transfer to Rome" ship excursion. It's a round trip transfer from Civi to Rome.

He's trying to find out people's experience with where the drop off spot is. The drop off is definitely in Rome not at the airport ;)

[beginQUOTE=WayneFougere;52231841]Is there a typical drop off and pick up location for the "Transfer to Rome" excursion?

Regards,

Wayne[/endQUOTE]

===

In 2014 HAL dropped and picked us up at Piazza Del Popolo for "Transfer to Rome".

Edited by SFO PETER
chng

Why not take the train from Civitavecchia to Roma. It is so easy and frequent. You can get off at St Petros Station for the Vatican or go on to Roma Termini and walk down to the Forum and Coliseum.

We have found the train is faster than the bus into Rome from the port. There is a train to return to port every hour. Just my thoughts.

Why not take the train from Civitavecchia to Roma. It is so easy and frequent. You can get off at St Petros Station for the Vatican or go on to Roma Termini and walk down to the Forum and Coliseum.

We have found the train is faster than the bus into Rome from the port. There is a train to return to port every hour. Just my thoughts.

we did the train a few years ago, but I noticed in the spring that they'd moved the gate to the port to a lot farther away. Did you walk it from the port gates?

[beginQUOTE=WayneFougere;52231841]Is there a typical drop off and pick up location for the "Transfer to Rome" excursion?

Regards,

Wayne[/endQUOTE]

===

In 2014 HAL dropped and picked us up at Piazza Del Popolo for "Transfer to Rome".

Thank you, that seems to confirm a rather hesitant person I spoke with when booking the excursion. She said she wasn't certain but it seemed like the drop off point is in the "people's square area" which jives with Piazza Del Popolo.

Never having been to Rome, I don't know if this is a wonderful location or not. I think I would have preferred a more central location. Oh well, since I'm booked, I'll make the best of it. I note that I don't seen any HOHO stops in the area.

Regardless, I know what I want to see & have developed a rather aggressive walking map. Now I just need to decide if I head west or south first.33d0e9abca6a495abab4eb8364c2b14f.jpg

Regards,

Wayne

Thank you for the suggestion. Since I've already booked the bus, I'll leave the train for the next visit :-)

Regards,

Wayne

The train is easy and cheap.

Join or organize a private tour, attractions in Rome are all over the city. You will see so much more in a day than you can on your own. We love Rome Cabs but there are many quality companies catering to cruisers that pick you up right next to the ship.

Thank you for the suggestion. Since I've already booked the bus, I'll leave the train for the next visit :-)

Regards,

Wayne

I think you are wise to do the HAL transfer in this case. The trains are going to be really hectic with it being Easter weekend, I would think.

Wayne is talking about the "Rome on your own" AKA "transfer to Rome" ship excursion. It's a round trip transfer from Civi to Rome.

He's trying to find out people's experience with where the drop off spot is. The drop off is definitely in Rome not at the airport ;)

Thank you for helping.

Regards,

Wayne

Wayne, this is definitely an aggressive plan. How much time do you have between the drop-off and pick-up time?

You can shorten your walking time a bit (especially helpful at the end of your day) if you permit a few suggestions. After you visit Piazza Navona, backtrack slightly to the Pantheon and take a taxi from the rank there (just on the right of the building when you are facing it) to the Piazza San Pietro. Then, once you're done there, take another taxi from the rank outside the colonnade (which is probably where the first driver will drop you) to your final destination, returning to Piazza del Popolo.

It still seems a lot for a day, but I'm going to assume you don't plan to spend significant time anywhere. Taxis in Rome can't be hailed, you have to find one of the points where they congregate, like the two I mention above.

If you visit the Italy boards here on Cruise Critic, there are several other knowledgeable posters that might be able to help with suggestions/ideas on your plans as well.

We did a "Transfer to Rome" excursion and our drop off / pick-up point was just outside of the St Peter's Square. But that was in 2010 so a lot may have changed. But it was perfect for us... we planned 3 stops. It was our first visit to Rome and we had a about 5.5 hours of "real" time on our own so we went to the Pantheon, had a reservation at the Vatican Museum for entrance to the Sistine Chapel and then St Peter's. Couldn't have worked out better.

But if the drop point is really the Piazza del Popolo that is a very different plan.

Another time we stayed in Rome for a few days and got to know the Metro and the Termini train station well. We were there ahead of a cruise departure. The walk from the platforms for the trains to/from Civitevecchia are far from the entrance to Termini, I'd say 3/4 -1 km. I remember the sign saying the platform number and 400m ahead but we were over half way there by the time we got to the sign.

With very limited time in Rome as a port call I think we did very well with the transfer and walking. Friends did the HoHo bus and said they sat in traffic nearly the whole time; they got off the bus only once to see something and then waited an hour for another bus with room on it to board.

But taxis do pretty well, so if the drop off isn't near the places to you want to visit I'd suggest getting a taxi to the furthest point you want to go to and walking your way back at a pace you can have control over so you get to the pick-up on time.

There is so much to see it can be overwhelming to plan. We used Rich Steves' book to help our planning and gave ourselves twice the time for walking so we didn't have to hurry, could take pictures, get a gelato, use a restroom etc, and we were able to spend 45 minutes to an hour in each place we visited to really absorb the experience, not just a check-off visit.

We had been invited to share a private tour with CC folks; it was from the ship around the city and back and was to "visit" 9 sights... way to much to cover for us! Our port call was 8am - 8pm.

Happy planning! m--

Wayne, this is definitely an aggressive plan. How much time do you have between the drop-off and pick-up time?

You can shorten your walking time a bit (especially helpful at the end of your day) if you permit a few suggestions. After you visit Piazza Navona, backtrack slightly to the Pantheon and take a taxi from the rank there (just on the right of the building when you are facing it) to the Piazza San Pietro. Then, once you're done there, take another taxi from the rank outside the colonnade (which is probably where the first driver will drop you) to your final destination, returning to Piazza del Popolo.

It still seems a lot for a day, but I'm going to assume you don't plan to spend significant time anywhere. Taxis in Rome can't be hailed, you have to find one of the points where they congregate, like the two I mention above.

If you visit the Italy boards here on Cruise Critic, there are several other knowledgeable posters that might be able to help with suggestions/ideas on your plans as well.

The Transfer is supposed to be a 10 hour excursion; so, I figure we'll have about 6 hours to explore. It's highly unlikely we'll walk everywhere (but it was the only way I could map my interests with the software I have).

Thank you for the advice about taxi stands. Is there a map or app for taxi stands? I've never used them, but see that Uber is in Rome and might be an alternate to taxis (tho at first glance, their prices seem high and are probably the same as taxis).

I also see that Car2Go operates in Rome. I have had an account with them for some time but haven't used the service yet. Car2Go might be an interesting way of covering some space between stops. I guess I better try them out in Vancouver first (after this darn snow evaporates) in order to figure out how the service actually works.

While the places I want to see are mostly the basic tourist stops (Piazza di Spagna, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza del Campidoglio, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, the Vatican, and whatever sights we walk past on the way), I don't want to be forced through each on a scheduled time table. Some stops will be quick. At others, I'll just want to linger and take it all in. The Pantheon is the only building that I'd actually like to see inside (and my next task is checking that out online).

Regards,

Wayne

We did a "Transfer to Rome" excursion and our drop off / pick-up point was just outside of the St Peter's Square. But that was in 2010 so a lot may have changed. But it was perfect for us... we planned 3 stops. It was our first visit to Rome and we had a about 5.5 hours of "real" time on our own so we went to the Pantheon, had a reservation at the Vatican Museum for entrance to the Sistine Chapel and then St Peter's. Couldn't have worked out better.

But if the drop point is really the Piazza del Popolo that is a very different plan.

Another time we stayed in Rome for a few days and got to know the Metro and the Termini train station well. We were there ahead of a cruise departure. The walk from the platforms for the trains to/from Civitevecchia are far from the entrance to Termini, I'd say 3/4 -1 km. I remember the sign saying the platform number and 400m ahead but we were over half way there by the time we got to the sign.

With very limited time in Rome as a port call I think we did very well with the transfer and walking. Friends did the HoHo bus and said they sat in traffic nearly the whole time; they got off the bus only once to see something and then waited an hour for another bus with room on it to board.

But taxis do pretty well, so if the drop off isn't near the places to you want to visit I'd suggest getting a taxi to the furthest point you want to go to and walking your way back at a pace you can have control over so you get to the pick-up on time.

There is so much to see it can be overwhelming to plan. We used Rich Steves' book to help our planning and gave ourselves twice the time for walking so we didn't have to hurry, could take pictures, get a gelato, use a restroom etc, and we were able to spend 45 minutes to an hour in each place we visited to really absorb the experience, not just a check-off visit.

We had been invited to share a private tour with CC folks; it was from the ship around the city and back and was to "visit" 9 sights... way to much to cover for us! Our port call was 8am - 8pm.

Happy planning! m--

Great advice. Thank you.

Regards,

Wayne

Wayne,

I think the taxi stands are the pink "Ts" on your map! They work very well and there are usually taxis waiting there. I'm not familiar with the app taxi services....

But any taxi in Rome is an opportunity to be cautious when paying... always show the driver your cash bill and say the denomination out loud, in Italian. If you give a ten Euro note, say "dieci" [dee-eh-chay] before you let go of it! They are known for quickly pocketing your money and then showing you that you only gave them a 5. Not a ploy restricted to Rome but common there. If you are assertive they won't mess with you. 20 is venti.

The Pantheon was well worth some extra time for me, probably my favorite stop in Rome, and never crowded! Plus there is a McDonald's across from the entrance for a restroom! It's downstairs.

The ONLY way to see the Sistine Chapel is to have a reservation time... the line was 4-5 hrs long so we could by-pass the entire line.

The views from Victor Emmanuel monument (I think I saw that on your map) are incredible but it's a LOT of stairs. Their elevator only takes you up the final flights.

As with any touristy city, here or abroad, keep your valuables close etc etc. Rome is such an amazing place to visit! Enjoy, m--

The Transfer is supposed to be a 10 hour excursion; so, I figure we'll have about 6 hours to explore. It's highly unlikely we'll walk everywhere (but it was the only way I could map my interests with the software I have).

Thank you for the advice about taxi stands. Is there a map or app for taxi stands? I've never used them, but see that Uber is in Rome and might be an alternate to taxis (tho at first glance, their prices seem high and are probably the same as taxis).

I also see that Car2Go operates in Rome. I have had an account with them for some time but haven't used the service yet. Car2Go might be an interesting way of covering some space between stops. I guess I better try them out in Vancouver first (after this darn snow evaporates) in order to figure out how the service actually works.

While the places I want to see are mostly the basic tourist stops (Piazza di Spagna, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza del Campidoglio, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, the Vatican, and whatever sights we walk past on the way), I don't want to be forced through each on a scheduled time table. Some stops will be quick. At others, I'll just want to linger and take it all in. The Pantheon is the only building that I'd actually like to see inside (and my next task is checking that out online).

Regards,

Wayne

Some reports on the Italy forum that Uber has worked for them, but Italian powers that be are not happy with services like Uber in general and you might be there during more or less of a crackdown. I wouldn't recommend using a service like Car2Go. Driving in Rome is brutal, especially in the Centro Storico where most sites are. There are "no-go" zones, pedestrian areas, one-way streets, and parking is nonexistent. (In many cases I have been on foot and have outpaced a car or bus stuck in Rome traffic....)

Regarding the Pantheon, entrance is free but it can be crowded in peak season and sometimes there is a bit of a line. It moves fast though. I suggest you download some information about it before you go as there is little signage at the site. (Rick Steves has a free podcast for example; it hits the high points.) The Pantheon is my favorite building in Rome (well, really, in the world...Rome caput mundi and all that.)

The Spanish Steps really have nothing to recommend them other than being famous as a gathering spot. Not sure why they are so popular. You could skip them in favor of a more direct line, but it's a pleasant walk anyway if you have the time.

Wayne,

I think the taxi stands are the pink "Ts" on your map! They work very well and there are usually taxis waiting there. I'm not familiar with the app taxi services....

Those are martini glasses, not "Ts". :D They signify bars, but in the Italian sense. (I suppose they would by definition be a good place for a taxi stop...)

Those are martini glasses, not "Ts". :D They signify bars, but in the Italian sense. (I suppose they would by definition be a good place for a taxi stop...)

Oops! I guess I didn't blow them up enough! Sorry about that.

But Rick Steves' maps show the taxi stands and I'm sure other maps do also. I recall that they were easy to find and quite common. But in any case I'd take the taxi away from the drop off point and plan to walk back at my own pace because traffic is too unpredictable.

Another vote for using Rick Steves' free downloads for getting the commentary on the highlights. We downloaded them to our MP3 players but most people have phones that will do it! m--

Uber in Rome is not like in the States, it's a professional car service with prices that are higher than taxis.

I'm guessing looking at that map but it looks like you want to go to the Spanish Steps, and next to Campidoglio. You can save some energy by getting on the metro at Spagna and, after a change at Termini, getting off at Colosseo. You can approach Campidoglio from the back/Roman Forum side.

Edited to add

I just noticed that it looks like you also have a stop at Trevi, so that pretty much eliminates using the metro.

Great info thank you for sharing[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't recommend using a service like Car2Go. Driving in Rome is brutal, especially in the Centro Storico where most sites are. There are "no-go" zones, pedestrian areas, one-way streets, and parking is nonexistent.
Since I haven't even bothered with them at home, I probably wouldn't there either; but, if I come across one ... who knows :-)

Regarding the Pantheon, entrance is free but it can be crowded in peak season and sometimes there is a bit of a line.

The Pantheon is my favorite building in Rome

Mine too, even tho I haven't visited Rome yet.

The Spanish Steps really have nothing to recommend them other than being famous as a gathering spot. Not sure why they are so popular. You could skip them in favor of a more direct line, but it's a pleasant walk anyway if you have the time.
Even if you're correct, I must see for myself.

Regards,

Wayne

I'm guessing looking at that map but it looks like you want to go to the Spanish Steps, and next to Campidoglio.

I just noticed that it looks like you also have a stop at Trevi,

The Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Campidoglio, and Piazza Navona all cry out to me from a first year architectural history class. Campidoglio and the Pantheon are at the top of my must visit list in Rome. The Trevi Fountain was a suggestion from my mother (so I must go there).

It would have been nice if the drop-off location had been closer to one of the stops; but, that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't think I can come up with a much more efficient routing. I thought of a counterclockwise direction; but I think, clockwise is probably best if I plan on taking a cab back to the pickup location.

Regards,

Wayne

[beginQUOTE=WayneFougere;52239856]The Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Campidoglio, and Piazza Navona all cry out to me from a first year architectural history class. Campidoglio and the Pantheon are at the top of my must visit list in Rome. The Trevi Fountain was a suggestion from my mother (so I must go there).

It would have been nice if the drop-off location had been closer to one of the stops; but, that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't think I can come up with a much more efficient routing. I thought of a counterclockwise direction; but I think, clockwise is probably best if I plan on taking a cab back to the pickup location.

Regards,

Wayne[/endQUOTE]

====

Add Trevi Fountain. It is walkable. We made a bee line to Piazza Navona and the sites listed above. These sites are not far from each other. Did you Google walking distance from Piazza Popolo to Piazza Navona? Just did. Says 20 min walk.

Edited by SFO PETER
added