Sign and sail using cash

leggettsally

Yes...if you put cash on your account, and don't spend it, they will refund it. Depending on the cruise line, you might not have to put ANY cash "down"....RCi allows you to charge $500 before they ask for payment. Other lines may vary. If you are on Carnival, do NOT buy any of their "cruise cash", as they will NOT refund it. Simply use REAL cash...

Yes...if you put cash on your account, and don't spend it, they will refund it. Depending on the cruise line, you might not have to put ANY cash "down"....RCi allows you to charge $500 before they ask for payment. Other lines may vary. If you are on Carnival, do NOT buy any of their "cruise cash", as they will NOT refund it. Simply use REAL cash...

This "information" is simply INCORRECT (as are so many of this poster's contributions).

RCI, like other lines, REQUIRE pre-funding of onboard spending, either by furnishing credit or debit card or by putting up cash IN ADVANCE - WHICH MEANS YOU PUT UP THE CASH BEFORE YOU CAN SPEND A DIME ON BOARD, and, in fact, while you are checking in. That means before you set foot on the ship.

For short cruise - less than 7 days, the MINIMUM ADVANCE cash deposit is $300. For cruise of 7days or more, the MINIMUM ADVANCE cash deposit is $500. When you hit that amount, all on-board spending is cut off until you deposit more cash.

Now that's interesting. Though I have no experience with "cash accounts" with any of the lines, I can't count the number of times I've read here on CC that if you have a cash account with Royal you don't pay anything until you hit $500.

Anyone who's done cash accounts with Royal care to clarify?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP ... since you are asking about CARNIVAL ... yes, you will have to provide cash up front. Once you have used that case, they will suspend your charging privileges until you provide additional cash. If you do not use all of the cash you put on your account you can: (1) cash out at Guest Services on the last evening, (2) cash out at any of the kiosks, or (3) they will send you a check in the mail approximately 7 days after you return.

Now that's interesting. Though I have no experience with "cash accounts" with any of the lines, I can't count the number of times I've read here on CC that if you have a cash account with Royal you don't pay anything until you hit $500.

Anyone who's done cash accounts with Royal care to clarify?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go to RCI's site - in the FAQ section ask about initial cash deposit for on board spending. It clearly sets forth $300 minimum deposit for short cruise and $500 for seven day or longer. It does say that passengers should settle their account at end of cruise to get refund of excess unspent, and to pay any amount still due --- but I am willing to bet that they will cut off spending if there has been any significant spending above initial deposit.

Does anyone seriously believe that the line would risk letting a free-loader run up a big charge without protecting themselves? -- - c'mon , folks!

Can't get off the ship if your folio has a balance on it, so no one is leaving without having paid the bill or gone with the nice local law enforcement officers.

Any refunds due are returned the same way as deposited. If you have any on board credit, it is used up first(non refundable first, then refundable)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't get off the ship if your folio has a balance on it, so no one is leaving without having paid the bill or gone with the nice local law enforcement officers.

Any refunds due are returned the same way as deposited. If you have any on board credit, it is used up first(non refundable first, then refundable)

OP was asking specifically about Carnival. Carnival does not allow you to spend more than the cash that you have deposited; therefore, no need for law enforcement.

I can't imagine they actually leave you on the ship............plus wouldn't they just stop allowing things to be charged? they are going to let you bounce fees.

I can't imagine they actually leave you on the ship............plus wouldn't they just stop allowing things to be charged? they are going to let you bounce fees.

You will not be allowed to leave until the bill is paid. That means forking over a credit card, or having somebody wire you the money or write a check.

Sure they cut you off, and politely ask you to come pay more money( and may even prevent you from getting off in ports) but even if that happens n day three, you can easily not try and spend another dime on board and still never go down to settle the overage.

This is also true if you put a credit or debit card down and it is denied the last night when they close out the accounts.

Oh and until that is taken care of, they cannot zero out the manifest and begin boarding the next cruise.

Of course they would not keep you on the ship after debarkation - nor are they likely to let you off still owing money. The obvious answer is that they will simply cut off your spending when you hit your limit. And, I am willing to bet that, unless you have taken steps to remove gratuities, you will hit your limit when the gratuities for the whole cruise, plus what you actually, spend come to the amount deposited.

I suppose it is possible that you could go over slightly before the freeze takes hold - but that might involve the cost of a drink or two.

As an "editorial" comment: covering on board spending with a cash deposit is a cumbersome and risky way to do it: you have to carry a lot of cash with you, you have to fine tune your spending so as to use it all up, or you will have to take the time to go claim the unused balance. The problem with using debit cards has been amply discussed, so the only sensible way is to use a credit card.