San Diego?

Crusin Karen

A nice thing about cruising out of long beach is staying at queen mary hotel.

It really is. We had a pretty large group and stayed there pre cruise. I was a little nervous about them staying in rooms on an 80 year old ship' date=' but they loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went to Mex Riviera: Acapulco, Ixtapa and Manzanillo. I have to say the itinerary was AWFUL. I would have done a Cabo/PV cruise. Or Catalina? Went to Anthonys at the pier, walked all over.....just LOVED the place!

We loved going to Zihuatanejo, Manzanillo and Acapulco. Don't like Cabo. It's geared more for expats.

BTW - Anthony's closed at the end of January.

We loved going to Zihuatanejo, Manzanillo and Acapulco. Don't like Cabo. It's geared more for expats.

BTW - Anthony's closed at the end of January.

Oh, too bad about Anthonys. Acapulco was the WORST. We got off the ship and were totally SURROUNDED with men trying to sell us excursions and they would NOT take no for an answer. They would NOT leave us alone and followed us as we tried to walk away. I was terrified. DH is a cop and even HE was afraid. We turned around and literally RAN back to the ship. Gave it a try the 2nd time we cruised there but as soon as we were out of the gates the same thing happened so we just turned around and walked back to ship instead of being confronted by a couple dozen men. :mad::mad:

It's such a beautiful port and so much to see and do pre and post cruise. We only sailed from there twice, but after we got home from the lst cruise I booked the exact same cruise for the following year the minute we got home! :eek: JUST so that we could go back to San Diego. That time we flew out 4 days early and rented a car and had a wonderful time exploring. I LOVE to cruise but you almost had to drag me onto the ship! :eek:I remember Mariner of the Seas always sailed from there too.

The Mariner of the Seas was home ported in San Pedro the entire time that it was on the West Coast.

The Mariner of the Seas was home ported in San Pedro the entire time that it was on the West Coast.

Oh, nuts....I have googled a dozen sites and can't come up with the answer, but I SWEAR to you, I remember Mariner OTS being there. They had that sign that announced when it was due in port. I am gonna go crazy now lol. :eek::confused::eek::confused:

Oh, nuts....I have googled a dozen sites and can't come up with the answer, but I SWEAR to you, I remember Mariner OTS being there. They had that sign that announced when it was due in port. I am gonna go crazy now lol. :eek::confused::eek::confused:

The Monarch of the Sea visited San Diego.

The Monarch of the Sea visited San Diego.

Okay, that must have been the ship, then. I know it began with an M. This was in January, 2007 and February, 2008 when we cruised from SD. Did not see the ship herself, but there was the sign thingy at the port! :rolleyes: THANKS. Thought I was losing my mind! :cool:

I pray more happens on West coast too. I think east coast simply has more people into cruising, more ports, so many more places to go and driving is still easier on West Coast as well as just way more other vacation types per capita.

I echo everyone's votes and I could have more fun at all of those ports..I have been blessed now going out of Long Beach, San Diego, and San Pedro and several other visits to those places as well as San Fran and Seattle and Vancouver. I adore the Queen Mary. Coming from Montana usually entails a stopover in Seattle, San Fran, or Salt Lake to most So Cal Destinations, Hawaii or east coast flying is really a nightmare, so I just have to add on a day..all places have discoveries in restaurants, beaches, surprising things to do even in less popular areas with use of these new car services...I have not done that yet and had to arrange other ways,,,so excited. San Pedro used to have some dun hotels and restaurants that I visited with my TA friend. See ports board for current info. Love the Amtrack idea for those that want to spend time in San Diego. My last trip was from San Diego and I had a few days in Old Town prior and exit same day after cruise to airport...that works well from there. A week in old town could be fun.,,I had the newly remodled at the time, 2012, Marriott Fairfield from Hotwire and it was superb for walking down whole street to the whole area and all the history along the way. Vote also for Carlsbad..great place on the water less expensive than LaJolla..that whole coast is awesome. Love North County San Diego too..where friend is.

Edited by sjn911

Oh, too bad about Anthonys. Acapulco was the WORST. We got off the ship and were totally SURROUNDED with men trying to sell us excursions and they would NOT take no for an answer. They would NOT leave us alone and followed us as we tried to walk away. I was terrified. DH is a cop and even HE was afraid. We turned around and literally RAN back to the ship. Gave it a try the 2nd time we cruised there but as soon as we were out of the gates the same thing happened so we just turned around and walked back to ship instead of being confronted by a couple dozen men. :mad::mad:

Makes you wonder why they even stop at Acapulco

:confused: I know! :confused:I thought that was one of the reasons they stopped sailing from SD. I think everyone is a little apprehensive about the Mex Riviera itineraries. :(

Presently me too..gave up on fast one that would have worked with dad...:(.

Presently me too..gave up on fast one that would have worked with dad...:(.

We sailed to Mazatlan shortly before the whole drug thing got out of control. We never felt threatened. I do think the west coast has more potential.

Sent from my iPhone

We sailed to Mazatlan shortly before the whole drug thing got out of control. We never felt threatened. I do think the west coast has more potential.

Sent from my iPhone

Wish Zihuatanejo would fix their pier. Port was cancelled on the Zjourneys cruise because of this.

WE have done Hawaii twice and upcoming is Alaska and no desire to go to Mexican Riviera

Well' date=' it certainly is different, that said, both times we did it we found it enjoyable. Significantly different than a Caribbean cruise (notice I did not say worse). You were not asking for advice, but I would recommend doing it.

Well, it certainly is different, that said, both times we did it we found it enjoyable. Significantly different than a Caribbean cruise (notice I did not say worse). You were not asking for advice, but I would recommend doing it.

One of things I DID notice Mexican Riviera vs. Caribbean: color of the water. You can't find that gorgeous torquoise water in the Mexican Riviera! ;)

Wish Zihuatanejo would fix their pier. Port was cancelled on the Zjourneys cruise because of this.
Thanks for your thoughts,,,Dad gets more afraid than I do sometimes,,,about these issues..but I have concern just with whole world now..so glad the Journeys trip was good..just feel a safe way to go would be on ship and dad and mom used to cross border and had so many trips with the seniors in their RV place..just great Mexico trips to tiny unique places that added to a childhood trip dad went to with his folks...

Whatever..together or separate we desperately need a break,,,there is a great difference between a want, a need, a need plus and survival...cabin fever reaching survival for both of us,,,lol.

Houston has a brand new one that has never been used as well.

We sailed out of Houston 2 years ago on NCL. It was a beautiful port. Was sure hoping it would give some competition to Galveston for prices. With the constant problem of fog in the winter, I guess it just didn't work. I'd be happy if they only used it from March through October, if nobody was willing to commit to it year-round.

Sadie,

I was on the Journey cruise when they cancelled our stop. I love Zihuatanejo...its my favorite Mexican port.

That was a great cruise. Wish they'd repeat it. The 9/10 day Princess cruises are decent enough.

We were taking at least one Carnival cruise a year out of San Diego until they pulled out. Even stopped in Acapulco once, but it's not high on my list... but love the Mexican Riviera. Never had a problem, and we are the kind that like to go into town and see something of the city, etc., rather than canned shore excursions. The mercado, restaurants... authentic.

Only took one cruise out of SP/LA and it was a rush, boring port, expensive parking. Won't go back unless forced.

We've sailed out of San Diego on HAL since and that's the plan from now on... but since Princess has a few out of San Diego, may try them again.

I guess Carnival is profiting out of the 3-4 day LA booze cruises... but that's not for people who enjoy "cruising."