Fort Lauderdale – Largo Mar or Hyatt Pier 66

Corfe Mixture

Hi all,

I will be driving up from the Islamorada the day before our next cruise and I am vacillating between staying at Largo Mar or at Hyatt Regency Pier 66.

The cost of the two hotels is very similar, but I have a number of factors bouncing around in my mind and would welcome some guidance.

First I do not need to hand my rental car back until the morning of the cruise, but could hand it back the previous afternoon and use a hotel’s free cruise terminal shuttle to get to the port, though this would not save me anything in terms of rental costs.

If I stay at the Largo Mar, the parking is free and I would keep the car overnight and, after delivering our bags to the cruise terminal, I would drop it off at FLL (done it many times before so no concerns about getting from FLL to the ship).

If I stay at Hyatt Regency, I will hand the car in the afternoon of our arrival as it seems pointless to pay their parking fees when they run a free shuttle to the cruise terminal.

On the face of it, Hyatt Pier 66 seems much better located for restaurants etc., but I am aware that, having handed the car in, I will probably only consider eating with walking distance of the hotel.

If we stay at Largo Mar, we will have the car and will have a much wider choice of restaurants but, having said that, the last time we stayed in Fort Lauderdale, although we kept the car, we nevertheless took a taxi to the restaurant. (Simply because we were meeting other people and taking a taxi meant that I avoided having to find the restaurant).

As you can see I am managing to confuse myself and run around in circles. So, folks, what would you do? Stay at Largo Mar and keep the car, or stay at Hyatt Pier 66 and dump the car the previous afternoon.

I am aware that the Hyatt Pier 66 is up for sale.

Other suggestions are welcome, apart from stay at Hyatt and keep the car, as this seems to be a total waste of money.

Just added Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina to my list of possibilities as it is within walking distance of the restaurant (Bimini Boatyard) where we had our group pre-cruise dinner last time.

Also, roughly 2/3rds the cost of Hyatt and Largo Mar,

However, they not only charge for $25-30 for parking but they don't run a shuttle to the cruise terminal which means I would need to keep the car (parking charge v taxi from airport rental car drop off to hotel plus taxi the following morning to cruise terminal).

Are you talking about the Lago Mar or the Largo Mar? One of the advantages of the Lago Mar is it's proximity to the channel the ships sail through entering and exiting the port. It's a very easy walk. Of course, that depends upon the port traffic when you're staying there. If you want to watch the ships leaving, you'll need to check the departure schedules. ..

I did see one video of the ships entering the harbor, Pretty cool. All lit up. But you'll need to be up early to catch that.

BTW, the reviews indicate the Lago Mar has a very good restaurant.

Oops, Lago Mar (mental block probably related to think about driving up through Key Largo) :)

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Must confess that I am leaning towards Lago Mar, keeping the car, driving to Bimini Boatyard for dinner and then, next morning, dropping the rental car off after first taking the luggage to the Cruise Terminal.

Nice to know that Lago Mar is a decent hotel.

Many thanks

Oops, Lago Mar (mental block probably related to think about driving up through Key Largo) :)

Must confess that I am leaning towards Lago Mar, keeping the car, driving to Bimini Boatyard for dinner and then, next morning, dropping the rental car off after first taking the luggage to the Cruise Terminal.

Many thanks

Bimini Boatyard no longer exists. It was closed and then re-branded to Boatyard. It is more upscale than the former Bimini Boatyard.

Many thanks

Lago Mar has a very nice webpage.

Here are the menu:

http://www.lagomar.com/experience/dining.php

Our last time in FLL we dined at Kelly's Landing. Wife loved the oysters:

kellyslanding.com

Did you notice this listing of FLL dining websites?:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1481885

Lago Mar has a very nice webpage.

Here are the menu:

http://www.lagomar.com/experience/dining.php

Our last time in FLL we dined at Kelly's Landing. Wife loved the oysters:

kellyslanding.com

Did you notice this listing of FLL dining websites?:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1481885

Thanks for the link to the lagomar website. Yup I had seen the link to the list of restaurants, but thanks nevertheless.

Definitely coming around to Doing something which involves keeping the car overnight so that I can have freedom of course over 'eateries'.

CM

Thanks for the link to the lagomar website. Yup I had seen the link to the list of restaurants, but thanks nevertheless.

Definitely coming around to Doing something which involves keeping the car overnight so that I can have freedom of course over 'eateries'.

CM

We kept our rental car overnight when we stayed in Port Canaveral. Came in handy for wine shopping.

We've started driving to the ports now. Slightly over 14 hours drive time to FLL but it's more relaxed than fighting airport security. We drive about ten hours and spend the night and then drive the rest of the way on cruise day.

You didn't say when you are traveling, but I understand Pier 66 has been sold to a real estate developer. I don't know how long the hotel will remain open, or if it will fully close, but it sounds like redevelopment of at least part of their site is inevitable. The rooms in the tower were refreshed two years ago. I would not stay in their marina buildings. Other than their on-site restaurants the neighboring restaurants require a walk up and over the bridge, so it depends on your stamina. Their pool area is nice.

Lagos Mar rooms need a refresh, in my opinion. But their basically private beach made up for that (although you have to rent lounge chairs). Their pools aren't huge and this place attracts family with young children. Nothing in walking distance, and I felt the on-site restaurants were overpriced and just OK. They have a somewhat captive audience.

Since you have a car I'd suggest the Marriott Turnberry in Aventura. I love this resort: rooms, pools, food, grounds, and the large Aventura mall is across the street (10 minute walk, maybe longer if you like to walk slow, they have a shuttle but it doesn't run late).

From strictly a hotel standpoint I prefer Lago Mar.

It has a nice beach and we like the hotel.

Yes, it is not near restaurants but you can just dine there.

What you need to think through is what time you will get there.

If you have a good part of the day I would go with Lago Mar.

If not I would go with a hotel closer to the port.

Keith

Many thanks to you both for your responses.

'You didn't say when you are traveling, but I understand Pier 66 has been sold to a real estate developer. I don't know how long the hotel will remain open,'

Knew it was up for sale but didn't know the purchaser is a real estate developer. We are looking at December, and they are still taking bookings for that period.

'I would not stay in their marina buildings.'

Thanks for that, was wondering which is the better part of the hotel.

'Other than their on-site restaurants the neighboring restaurants require a walk up and over the bridge, so it depends on your stamina.'

Yup, I had sort of spotted that which is why I have added the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina to my list (I wasn't actually sure if there was even a sidewalk across the bridge!!)

'Since you have a car I'd suggest the Marriott Turnberry in Aventura. I love this resort: rooms, pools, food, grounds, and the large Aventura mall is across the street'

Thanks, I'll look at that too.

'What you need to think through is what time you will get there.

If you have a good part of the day I would go with Lago Mar.

If not I would go with a hotel closer to the port.'

We can pretty much arrive any time we want. We are driving up from Key West, but will break the journey with an overnight stop in at the Amara Cay resort in Islamorada so we have a drive of less than three hours.

Could consider staying outside Fort Lauderdale, but probably won't do that as, over the years we have made many US and Canadian friends cruising and nearly always find that the is someone in the area the night before the cruise, even if we aren't on the same cruise.

Whatever I decide, although the cruise is may months hence, I will book all my hotels in the near future and pay up front in Sterling on a cancellable basis as this enables me to hedge the exchange rate.

If you stay at Pier 66 there is a walkway and traffic lights for crossing the busy street. If you are trying to get to the other side, cross by the hotel (before you go over the bridge). There is little turning traffic and a much easier crossing.

Edited by JFontaine

As frequent Hyatt property tourists, we stay 3-4 nights at Pier 66 pre-cruise [$25 parking] and Hyatt Place of 17th St. [$7. Parking] one night post-cruise. By joining their Hyatt Passport program, we are frequently able to use the "points" toward the cost. Last trip, we booked a marina and were upgraded to the tower, plus got free breakfast buffet - probably due to impending storm and few hotel guests. As much as I like the "66' resort-like atmosphere, the parking cost is one I simply pay and convince myself that the price gives me a few more bonus points for future hotel reservations. Having the freedom to come and go with our rental vehicle is a plus. We enjoy dining at Pelican's Landing, [located on 66 property] watching the draw bridge rise and fall to allow for the mast of boats entering and leaving the waterway, plus catching a sunset while having a drink is fantastic. Driving over the bridge and onto 17th st. toward the shopping area gives us ample options for dining. We are from the Boston area, so Kelly's Landing is high on our list; we also like Bravo for Italian food and take advantage of their cruise passenger specials by showing our boarding passes.

Who knows the ultimate plans for Pier 66? Walking along the canal, looking at the mega yachts has been a mainstay in the evening. A friend who lives in the area told us the developer has plans to update parts of the hotel and turn it into mixed use. We always keep the car until the morning of the cruise, then return it to FLL and take the Enterprise complimentary shuttle to Port Everglades.

I'm finding more and more hotels are adding a parking fee into the reservation. I can understand this in large cities where land is a premium, just wish the rates weren't so high. Corfe - I'm getting hit with parking in GB, too. Jury's in Chelthenham and Hallmark Carlton in Bournemouth, ugh!

Darcy

We can pretty much arrive any time we want. We are driving up from Key West, but will break the journey with an overnight stop in at the Amara Cay resort in Islamorada so we have a drive of less than three hours.

I don't know anything about Amara Cay, but another suggestion would be the Hampton Inn - Key Largo. It is not your ordinary Hampton Inn and the drive to Ft Lauderdale the next day would be about a half hour shorter. Every room has a walkout patio, but the rooms on the first floor are extra nice because you can walk right out to the bay and maybe see some manatees. Great pool deck and palapas to sit under and enjoy the outdoors.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hampton-inn-key-largo-fl-KYLGOHX/index.html

Could consider staying outside Fort Lauderdale, but probably won't do that as, over the years we have made many US and Canadian friends cruising and nearly always find that the is someone in the area the night before the cruise, even if we aren't on the same cruise.

Since it is only for one evening before your cruise and you would be coming from the Keys, I would suggest the Hampton Inn - Plantation which has a complimentary Port Everglades shuttle. That would allow you to return the car early if you want or not. The hotel is walking distance to a Total Wine, Publix Grocery Store, two nice shopping malls and dozens of restaurants. It would be easy to get there from the Keys via the "backway" (Florida Turnpike, I-75 and I-595). It's 84 miles from the Hampton Inn - Key Largo which would be about a 1 1/2 hour drive.

Whatever I decide, although the cruise is may months hence, I will book all my hotels in the near future and pay up front in Sterling on a cancellable basis as this enables me to hedge the exchange rate.

Enjoy your vacation and your cruise!

I don't know anything about Amara Cay, but another suggestion would be the Hampton Inn - Key Largo. It is not your ordinary Hampton Inn and the drive to Ft Lauderdale the next day would be about a half hour shorter. Every room has a walkout patio, but the rooms on the first floor are extra nice because you can walk right out to the bay and maybe see some manatees. Great pool deck and palapas to sit under and enjoy the outdoors.

Thanks for that suggestion. We regularly go down to the Keys for a few days before our cruises and stayed at the Hampton Inn at Key Largo on a previous visit. Indeed, as Key Largo is the most northerly Key, meaning there is less of a risk of an accident on one of the bridges closing the road, when we stayed there we drove straight from the Hampton Inn to Port Everglades on the day of the cruise.

This year we decided to break the journey north at either Marathon or Islamorada and have chosen Islamorada, simply because it is the more northerly of the two, but I do agree with you that the Hampton Inn at Key Largo is a good choice. There is also an excellent fish restaurant about 500 metres to the north of the hotel on the other side of the highway which we made use of on our last visit.

Thanks also for the suggestion on Hampton Inn - Plantation. I will look into it.

Would also be interested in you opinion on the Hilton - Fort Lauderdale Marina. Although I would need to pay for parking, it appears to have the advantage of being near the water taxi and the right side of the bridge to bring a good selection of restaurants within walking distance.

CM

Corfe - I'm getting hit with parking in GB, too. Jury's in Chelthenham and Hallmark Carlton in Bournemouth, ugh!

Darcy

Question?

Are you committed to Hallmark Carlton?

Poole is much much nicer than Bournemouth particularly in the evening when Poole is safe to walk anywhere in the evening and the Quay with all the waterfront pubs Has a really good atmosphere and there is even a genuine fish & chip shop on the quay.

Multi-storey car park near to the quay

Upmarket hotels in Sandbanks / Poole include Harbour Heights, Sandbanks Hotel, and The Haven Hotel are outside the town centre with excellent views over the harbour, though check the hotels out on TripAdvisor as, living here means I haven't ever stayed in any of them. There is also a Holiday Inn by the park and within walking distance (about 1/2 mile) of the quay.

Best restaurant in Poole town centre (100metres from the quay) is a local secret. Guildhall Tavern - former pub, now a French restaurant, run by French couple (Severine and Frederik ably assisted by their friend Sebastian). Not cheap - I paid £85 for two including gratuities the last week in November, but like all genuine French restaurants they do a set menu which offers £22 for two courses with a choice of four main courses and offer the same menu for £18 pp at lunch time.

Mrs CM is going there for lunch twice in February, once with her friend for the friend's birthday and once with her former colleagues.

You will need to book at least two weeks in advance in winter and perhaps even earlier in the summer.

NOTE: No connection with the restaurant other than as a client.

Our friend who resides in Bournemouth lives within two blocks of East Cliff, thus the hotel - we did stay there last year when it was the Menzies. She is meeting us in London for a few nights of tourist "must-do's" from out never ending bucket list, then off to Blenheim, Oxford and the Cotswolds. Last year we did visit Poole, Corfe, too. However, I'll note your suggestion of Guild Hall Tavern for one night before our cruise to Norway in June. Thanks for the suggestion.

Darcy

Our friend who resides in Bournemouth lives within two blocks of East Cliff, thus the hotel - we did stay there last year when it was the Menzies. She is meeting us in London for a few nights of tourist "must-do's" from out never ending bucket list, then off to Blenheim, Oxford and the Cotswolds. Last year we did visit Poole, Corfe, too. However, I'll note your suggestion of Guild Hall Tavern for one night before our cruise to Norway in June. Thanks for the suggestion.

Darcy

Understand. Sounds like a really nice itinerary. If your route from Oxford to Poole is down the A34, then take note that it is only a small diversion to visit Highclere Castle, location for Downton Abbey. Not as spectacular as Blenheim but something on folk's bucket list.

East Cliff is a nice spot to live. Your friend is very fortunate. Wonderful views.

Re your Norway trip, take note that Guildhall Tavern is only a restaurant.

Might be nice to go there with your friend at lunch time, but someone will need to book in advance. Park in Hill Street car park.

Would also be interested in you opinion on the Hilton - Fort Lauderdale Marina. Although I would need to pay for parking, it appears to have the advantage of being near the water taxi and the right side of the bridge to bring a good selection of restaurants within walking distance.

CM

The Hilton Marina is nice, situated on the Intracoastal, but like all the others in the 17th Street area they are overpriced and to pay for parking just adds insult to injury. I would take my time staying in the Keys as long as possible, maybe even having dinner down there then check in the Hampton Inn-Plantation at 9:00-10:00 PM. Or since you have a car, save some money at one of the two La Quintas in the same area. The one on 6th was just remodeled a few weeks ago and the one on Peters Road is very nice as well. The next morning drive to one of the car rental locations near Port Everglades, drop the car and take their shuttle to your ship.

Why rental car company do you plan to rent from?

Why rental car company do you plan to rent from?

Suspect that you are asking because of the difference in the way some rental companies rip one off over tolls.

I always book through an agency which is able to offer comprehensive deals which are not available to US / Canadian licence holders.

Normally I prefer to use Alamo, mainly because of the way they handle cashless tolls and partly because of the airport shuttle.

This year have booked with Budget for two days one way from Key West to FLL because for some reason Alamo was very very expensive. Not a real problem as Budget offer the same sensible deal for tolls as Alamo / National ($3.95 per day plus tolls I estimate at $4.24).

At the end of the cruise I have a one day one way rental from FLL to PBI and Alamo came up with the best deal, though this time tolls will not be an issue as I will only be driving up I-95.

Understand. Sounds like a really nice itinerary. If your route from Oxford to Poole is down the A34, then take note that it is only a small diversion to visit Highclere Castle, location for Downton Abbey. Not as spectacular as Blenheim but something on folk's bucket list.

East Cliff is a nice spot to live. Your friend is very fortunate. Wonderful views.

Re your Norway trip, take note that Guildhall Tavern is only a restaurant.

Might be nice to go there with your friend at lunch time, but someone will need to book in advance. Park in Hill Street car park.

We did Highclere a few years ago. After leaving Oxford, we plan to drive to Winchester, time to see the cathedral and then to B'mouth to check in. Since that will be a Thursday, it will be the better night for GH. The following day, we're off to Lymington and taking the rental car onto the IOW ferry for a day trip. Our hotel package includes not only breakfast, but evening dinner one night - probably best when we return from IOW.

I looked at GH's web site and noted that I can make reservations online from home, but will have our friend confirm at least 2-3 weeks before the trip.

Enjoy Florida - wish I were there now as we have lots of snow in New England. Oh, in case your are looking for an interesting bar scene in Ft Liquordale, check out the happy hour at Mezzaluna off 17th st. Very good Italian menu, but the bar crowd is an amazing blend of locals, many with corporate ties to the mega yachts parked by Pier 66.

Darcy

Suspect that you are asking because of the difference in the way some rental companies rip one off over tolls.

I always book through an agency which is able to offer comprehensive deals which are not available to US / Canadian licence holders.

Normally I prefer to use Alamo, mainly because of the way they handle cashless tolls and partly because of the airport shuttle.

This year have booked with Budget for two days one way from Key West to FLL because for some reason Alamo was very very expensive. Not a real problem as Budget offer the same sensible deal for tolls as Alamo / National ($3.95 per day plus tolls I estimate at $4.24).

At the end of the cruise I have a one day one way rental from FLL to PBI and Alamo came up with the best deal, though this time tolls will not be an issue as I will only be driving up I-95.

No, I'm asking because I suspected it would be Alamo and they have a new location on Keller Drive that shuttles to and from Port Everglades. There is no longer a shuttle from FLL.

With Budget you need to drop it at the 1515 SE 17th Street (behind the Renaissance) and take their shuttle to the port.