Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

Is it against the rules to sit by the window in the buffet restaurant for hours and read a book while people are looking for a place to sit when they shall eat? I don't think so, at least I have never seen a rule about that on a cruiseship. Is it selfish? My opinion, YES.

My point is that rules are one thing and to be nice to other people is something else. Some people just follow rules and don't really care about other people. Isn't the most important thing to try to be nice to other people?

"Selfish" is a matter of individual interpretation. For example, is it selfish to have the butler deliver breakfast every morning knowing that the butler also has other suites to serve? IMO, no.

Is it selfish to sit near a window in the buffet while others are trying to find a "good" seat? IMO, no.

Is it selfish to take a nap in a lounger that is mere inches from the pool? IMO, no.

Is it selfish to sit in a window seat on a plane while the person in the middle seat doesn't get to look outside? IMO, no.

The bigger problem is that when people don't know or agree with the rules, they decide to make their own (moving other people's items).

"Selfish" is a matter of individual interpretation. For example, is it selfish to have the butler deliver breakfast every morning knowing that the butler also has other suites to serve? IMO, no.

Is it selfish to sit near a window in the buffet while others are trying to find a "good" seat? IMO, no.

Is it selfish to take a nap in a lounger that is mere inches from the pool? IMO, no.

Is it selfish to sit in a window seat on a plane while the person in the middle seat doesn't get to look outside? IMO, no.

The bigger problem is that when people don't know or agree with the rules, they decide to make their own (moving other people's items).

I know that I shouldn't respondend but.....

I agree with you on all your examples, not selfish.

As for making rules of their own. Have you seen the rule posted anywhere on a cruiseship that it's not allowed to move other persons items? I haven't but I might have missed it. To move other persons items is not "rulemaking".

It's not a general rule around the world that it's not allowed to touch or move other persons items. If I for example find a pair of gloves in a restaurant in Sweden it's okay to give the gloves to someone working at the restaurant. I once found a credit card when I parked our car, I took it with me and left it in a bank, no rule breaking there either.

You might have that no touching/moving rule in the US, I don't know, but it's not a general rule around the world so you can't expect everyone to know about that rule.

These examples are apples and oranges. You pay for butler service, and you pay for a window seat. It’s hardly selfish to receive benefits that were purchased.

One person in a chair was never the stated problem. The stated problem was people reserving chairs for their possible use later when someone wanted to use them now.

The issue of selfishness is when someone prevents another from using something they are entitled to use, simply because they might want access to it later. If you made the butler sit and wait in your suite all day, in case you decided you needed something, that’s selfish.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As for making rules of their own. Have you seen the rule posted anywhere on a cruiseship that it's not allowed to move other persons items? I haven't but I might have missed it. To move other persons items is not "rulemaking".

There's nothing stating that a passenger DOES have the right to move another guest's items. It does state that NCL staff can move those items. There's no specific rule that states that I can't walk behind the bar and grab a bottle of whatever I want, either.

The Guest Conduct Policy even states that it can't possibly list every prohibited action on the ship.

It's not a general rule around the world that it's not allowed to touch or move other persons items. If I for example find a pair of gloves in a restaurant in Sweden it's okay to give the gloves to someone working at the restaurant. I once found a credit card when I parked our car, I took it with me and left it in a bank, no rule breaking there either.

Someone accidentally leaving something is different than someone intentionally leaving something.

You might have that no touching/moving rule in the US, I don't know, but it's not a general rule around the world so you can't expect everyone to know about that rule.

If someone is parked too closely to the white line or is even over the white line, I can't break into their car and move it over. The bad parking may be rude or selfish but I do not have the right to move someone else's car without their consent even if they leave the keys on the front seat.

One person in a chair was never the stated problem. The stated problem was people reserving chairs for their possible use later when someone wanted to use them now.
This HAS been addressed. If the person got there first, it is their chair for up to an hour. If someone arrives at 6am, puts down a towel and doesn't return until 10am, THAT PERSON IS WRONG. It is a completely different situation if someone arrives at 8am, puts down a towel and jumps into the pool for 30 minutes and returns to their chair.

To people walking by at 8:15, both chairs are being held by "chair hogs" when 1 chair is not being held by a "chair hog". People assume that every towel on a chair is wrong.

The issue of selfishness is when someone prevents another from using something they are entitled to use, simply because they might want access to it later. If you made the butler sit and wait in your suite all day, in case you decided you needed something, that’s selfish.
See above. The guy going for a swim might be seen as "preventing" someone from using that chair but he is actually using the chair. The 6am person is being selfish while the 8am person is not.

There's nothing stating that a passenger DOES have the right to move another guest's items. It does state that NCL staff can move those items. There's no specific rule that states that I can't walk behind the bar and grab a bottle of whatever I want, either.

The Guest Conduct Policy even states that it can't possibly list every prohibited action on the ship.

I might be wrong but it think that we can consider it to be a general rule around the world that it's not allowed to walk behind a bar and grab a bottle. Do you know about any place in the world where that is allowed? If anyone know about a place where that is allowed, except in your private bar at home, please post!

If someone is parked too closely to the white line or is even over the white line, I can't break into their car and move it over. The bad parking may be rude or selfish but I do not have the right to move someone else's car without their consent even if they leave the keys on the front seat.

But this example if far from the examples I gave.

I think that we can say that it's a general rule around the world that it's not allowed to break into someones car, what has that to do with the things discussed here?

It has to do with the fact that a guest doesn't have the right to move another guest's items without consent.

I think that's more your opinion than fact.

I have never seen any rules about that posted onboard and since it's not a general rule around the world that items can't be moved I feel that it's more your opinion than fact.

I think that's more your opinion than fact.

No, it is not an opinion that you do not have the right to move my items without my consent. That is a fact. A guest does not have that right bestowed upon them by anyone. NCL staff does have that right (under certain conditions) bestowed upon them by NCL.

I have never seen any rules about that posted onboard and since it's not a general rule around the world that items can't be moved I feel that it's more your opinion than fact.

There is no list of every right that guests have and don't have. That is impossible. There's no statement that states that I can't walk over to someone else's chair, use their sunblock, then put the bottle down, either.

It isn't "I can do whatever I feel is ok unless it is specifically stated that I can't..." when it comes to items that are not mine.

No, it is not an opinion that you do not have the right to move my items without my consent. That is a fact. A guest does not have that right bestowed upon them by anyone. NCL staff does have that right (under certain conditions) bestowed upon them by NCL.

There is no list of every right that guests have and don't have. That is impossible. There's no statement that states that I can't walk over to someone else's chair, use their sunblock, then put the bottle down, either.

It isn't "I can do whatever I feel is ok unless it is specifically stated that I can't..." when it comes to items that are not mine.

Thanks! Now I don't need to bring sunscreen! ;p

If you leave your items in a "public" place someone might move them. Like it or not but you can't assume that it's not allowed to move your things if you leave them somewhere.

Is it ok to move a towel with nothing else on it? Could be someone in the pool or a chair hog.

I bring a pre printed laminated card. It simply states, occupied - will return shortly - Thank you for your consideration

I leave it on top of my book when i need to go to the restroom or get a drink .

Seems to be OK. I do not arrive up on deck at 6am and start “claiming lounges with towels “ as some.

I bring a pre printed laminated card. It simply states, occupied - will return shortly - Thank you for your consideration

I leave it on top of my book when i need to go to the restroom or get a drink .

Seems to be OK. I do not arrive up on deck at 6am and start “claiming lounges with towels “ as some.

So do you just get lucky and find that one empty chair at whatever o'clock? Or do you look for a chair away from the pool? Hmmm.

Is it ok to move a towel with nothing else on it? Could be someone in the pool or a chair hog.

It is usually pretty apparent whether it is someone holding it or someone using it and in the pool, rest room or at bar.

You could also ask people nearby - if anyone has been there.

I remove towels all the time, probably at least twice on each of my 14 cruises. Only once did someone approach me about it and I simply replied - "I have been here for a couple of hours now:" (which was the truth)