Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

From where are you watching? Are you in a chair but simply want a "better" (term used loosely) one? Look at the following pictures taken by JimZim on Escape... MainPoolChairHogs-IMG_7164.JPG

Sundeck-Deck19-IMG_7151.JPG

Sundeck-Deck20-IMG_7152.JPG

...these were all taken at approximately the same time and on a sea day. If all of the chairs are taken in one area, why not just enjoy another area that is less crowded, less hectic, etc.? If not actually using the pool, what is the desire to be right next to the pool? (unless watching children or similar)

I repeat, it isn't about the people who leave items for more than 1 hour. THOSE people are clearly wrong.

However, if someone (in the example that I gave earlier) is simply going for a swim and then going to the bar for a drink, should THAT person have their items removed by another guest? If someone who feels that it is OK to move another guest's items walks by 10 seconds after the other person goes into the pool, the "chair watcher" will have NO IDEA if the towel belongs to a "chair hog" or a "chair user".

Should the person in the pool who walks to the bar or back to their stateroom to get their sunglasses have their items removed if they HAVEN'T been gone for 1 hour?

If you're going to argue the point of, "why does someone want a chair by the pool when there are others away from the pool that are empty"? Why not argue the point of, "why don't the chair hogs save the ones away from the popular areas and leave the one's by the pool for those that are actually going to use them"?

Why I or anyone else want a spot in a particular area is none of anyone's concern. What they should be concerned with is those that save chairs that they have no intentions of using for hours on end. It's highly disrespectful but in the world we live in, I guess the victims are the ones who need to be persecuted. :confused:

But to address your other points made throughout this thread... one can tell by what is on the saved chair whether or not it's actually being used or just being saved. One shoe vs. two... a bag... books... drinks... sunscreen... etc. If there is a chair with just an unused towel, you can bet it's just being "saved" and not used. I'm also in the ballpark of if you're going to get lunch, you should bring that lunch back out to your chair as one can't occupy 2 chairs at once. :rolleyes:

Simple solution - get your lazy butts out of bed at a reasonable hour to get the chair YOU want. Otherwise, you have nothing at all to complain about.

That works if you are getting up early to get the chairs you want and are also using those chairs and not just getting up early to 'save' them for later.

If you're going to argue the point of, "why does someone want a chair by the pool when there are others away from the pool that are empty"? Why not argue the point of, "why don't the chair hogs save the ones away from the popular areas and leave the one's by the pool for those that are actually going to use them"?

Why I or anyone else want a spot in a particular area is none of anyone's concern. What they should be concerned with is those that save chairs that they have no intentions of using for hours on end. It's highly disrespectful but in the world we live in, I guess the victims are the ones who need to be persecuted. :confused:

But to address your other points made throughout this thread... one can tell by what is on the saved chair whether or not it's actually being used or just being saved. One shoe vs. two... a bag... books... drinks... sunscreen... etc. If there is a chair with just an unused towel, you can bet it's just being "saved" and not used. I'm also in the ballpark of if you're going to get lunch, you should bring that lunch back out to your chair as one can't occupy 2 chairs at once. :rolleyes:

Exactly!

Simple solution - get your lazy butts out of bed at a reasonable hour to get the chair YOU want. Otherwise, you have nothing at all to complain about.

No, there is an alternative solution I have used in some resorts where chairs were at a premium.

Bribe the pool boy to put a couple of towels out for me at 5 am when they start setting up for the day.

Shall I get my coat...

That works if you are getting up early to get the chairs you want and are also using those chairs and not just getting up early to 'save' them for later.
I for one don't get up that early, don't save chairs, but I do like to sit out by the pool (in the shade) for an hour or two on sea days. It is really frustrating that these folks get up at 6 or 7 and lay claim to their chairs that they don't intend using for an hour or more.

I'm not arguing a point. I HAVE asked why do the "early risers" go out at 6am to save chairs. None of those people were here to answer (until post #114, anyway). I've also stated that those people who get up early and leave items on chairs for hours are clearly wrong.

Why I or anyone else want a spot in a particular area is none of anyone's concern.

I just asked the question because it isn't about "getting a chair...", it's about "getting a particular chair..." which seems to be the problem. I even theorized that it was a mimetic desire (see René Girard) because there is nothing special about those chairs other than the value others place upon them. I've noted that parents watching their children are an exception.

What they should be concerned with is those that save chairs that they have no intentions of using for hours on end. It's highly disrespectful but in the world we live in, I guess the victims are the ones who need to be persecuted. :confused:

No, those that put items on a chair that they won't use for hours are 100% wrong and everyone has agreed on that.

You're making an assumption based on the item in the chair, not the length of time that the chair has been unattended. If people were to follow that rationale, whatever item signifies "usage" would just be used for "reserving" which would make whatever the item is a moot point.

As for bringing lunch back to the chair, who would determine what to leave in the chair while going to get lunch? What is left behind for a swim or a trip down a water-slide? The issue isn't what the person is doing while not in the chair. The issue is HOW LONG the item has been unattended. If person A goes to the bar and returns in 15 minutes and person B goes to their stateroom to use the restroom and returns in 15 minutes and person C goes to the buffet to eat and returns in 15 minutes, are any of those people better or worse than the other 2? The reason for leaving is irrelevant.

No, there is an alternative solution I have used in some resorts where chairs were at a premium.

Bribe the pool boy to put a couple of towels out for me at 5 am when they start setting up for the day.

Shall I get my coat...[/quote

To my point...

It's tough finding a "pool boy" or NCL staff anywhere in the crowd,

yet one that also has time to monitor chairs and take bribes.

Problem is, NCL just does not provide enough seating...

unless it's raining or cold.

Edited by $hip$hape

Shall I get my coat...

To my point...

It's tough finding a "pool boy" or NCL staff anywhere, yet one that also has to take bribes.

I bet it isn't that hard to find one of the staff who sets the chairs out first thing to accept a generous 'tip'.

Life's too short and there are way too many awesome things to eat, drink and do on a cruise to waste it getting sunburnt in a deck chair. Therefore, I don't understand "chair hogs" or the whole concept of baking in the sun and getting a bad sunburn like a lot of people I saw. I guess it takes all kinds to make the world turn. To each his own. This thread is very amusing.

Always works for me! tip tip tip the deckhand.... they are up at 530 on the breakaway...about 6 on the Gem....

If you want to tip someone to save a chair for you then I guess that is your perogative....however how long are they supposed to save the chairs for you?....and do they actually save them by puuting them aside or by putting towels on them?

If you want to tip someone to save a chair for you then I guess that is your prerogative....

however how long are they supposed to save the chairs for you?

....and do they actually save them by putting them aside or by putting towels on them?

Maybe you should only expect the normal.

However, if you tip the "poolboy" enough, you could tell him to keep your towel between his knees until you return.

Edited by $hip$hape

If you want to tip someone to save a chair for you then I guess that is your perogative....however how long are they supposed to save the chairs for you?....and do they actually save them by puuting them aside or by putting towels on them?

When I have done it they have saved the chairs by putting towels on them. No different to anyone else getting up at 6am to save chairs, except I can sleep in. Well worth the 'tip'.

"On my last cruise - Carnival" I was supervising / watching / hanging with my child by the pool. This is why I wanted to be close to the pool. I am dismayed to say that I was not able to get a chair the entire time near this area and sat on my towel on the ground next to many empty lounge chairs every single day except for port days when some chairs were available. // It really put a damper on my cruise experience. I was not happy sitting in between chairs on the hard ground to be next to empty chairs, but I did not feel empowered to move other people's things. I was not watching how long the chairs had been empty as I was watching my child. I also was not able to go over to talk to an employee, as I again was supervising / watching my child. I have to say that the experience really sucked for me.

I have avoided going on cruises since that time. However, I am finally biting the bullet and cruising on the Epic a week from Saturday. Also FYI my son who is on this cruise too is now 21. As a former lifeguard I am still very much in the do not swim alone camp and fear that I am again going to be sitting on the ground by the pool when DS wants to use the pool and hot tub when no one else in our party wants to, hence my interest in this thread. It sounds like this experience will be just as negative as the previous cruise that I went on. I'm so excited. NOT. Sorry for the rant.

Some say this happens everywhere, but FYI I have never had this problem at hotel or resort pools where I have stayed. I have only had this issue on a cruise ship. Do note, though, we have not stayed at all inclusive resorts where pool/beach is a main activity. We typically vacation at places where a dip in the pool is a nice relaxing activity before or after doing something else, so maybe that's why it is only a cruse where in non port days you are a captive audience that this has been an issue for me.

I am an early riser and I guess I could be in the if you can't beat them / join them camp. But I really and truly don't want to do the same thing to others that is so irritating to me. Also unlike others, I don't want to spend lots of time at the pool. I really and truly am there only in a lifeguard / do not swim alone capacity. Good luck to me. I hope I won't hate this cruise. I would be really nice if there were some chairs, not loungers specifically for parents who are doing the lifeguard thing and are simply there to watch their kids.

Edited by kathy884

Would it be ok for me to bring my own camping chair to the pool to sit in while I am watching others who are swimming? That could be the solution to my problem. I am going to put one in my suitcase and try this. It could save me from hating the cruise.

Your 21 year old son doesn't need the same level of supervision as a child. He won't be alone. There will be tons of people everywhere. If there isn't anyone there at all and every chair has a towel on it, just sit in one of them anyway. Don't let such things ruin your fun. I hope I don't offend you, but it's just sad to me that people like you let other ignorant people ruin their fun. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

I think this whole thing is ridiculous and I'm starting to agree with one of the previous posters: Any item including cruise line towels that is left unattended should be removed immediately. This should be strictly enforced. The idea of people reserving chairs for hours on end by using inanimate objects is the height of ignorance and is just plain foolish.

On a similar thread several years ago, I posted that I usually sit near the pool for a couple of hours and at lunchtime, I pick up all of my belongings and head into to the buffet for lunch. I would then find an empty table and drop my belongings on a chair and then get my lunch. A woman replied to my post that if there was no other table available nearby, she would throw my belongings on the floor and sit in that chair.

There are all kinds of crazies out there.

I would just like to ask: you're going to go babysit a 21 year old grown adult man at the pool? His "swimming" is girls in bikinis and cocktails.

Maybe the posters son has a physical disability? Just wondering if that is the case. If not I agree at 21 it's time to set him free.