Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

If you left it unattended for longer than an hour...no not wrong at all!

If you just jumped into the pool for a quick dip, then yes.

I sense that this concept is a little confusing for :confused:

Without seeing when the person left, how would you KNOW that it has been an hour unless you watched it for at least an hour.

If people are waiting for a full hour before moving items, that is VERY different than "I see a towel and no body so I'm taking that chair...". Both are wrong and the person leaving items for more than an hour is wrong. Some are using the wrongdoing of the chair hog as justification for the wrongdoing of moving other people's property.

The policy about unattended items is on the dailies. My example is NOT against the policy. My example is NOT reserving.

People can go to the bar, to the buffet, etc.

OTHER examples (people leaving items for hours) are against NCL's policy.

Unfortunately, some people see a towel on a chair and assume that a policy is being violated.

NORWEGIAN'S FREE AT SEA PROMOTION

You are free to leave the area.

Without seeing when the person left, how would you KNOW that it has been an hour unless you watched it for at least an hour.

If people are waiting for a full hour before moving items, that is VERY different than "I see a towel and no body so I'm taking that chair...". Both are wrong and the person leaving items for more than an hour is wrong. Some are using the wrongdoing of the chair hog as justification for the wrongdoing of moving other people's property.

Agreed! I am not doing the latter...moving someone's stuff is not wrong IMO(me or staff). It lets them know they have left their things unattedned to long and they have now lost their chairs. They can now find other chairs if they want.

Agreed! I am not doing the latter...moving someone's stuff is not wrong IMO(me or staff). It lets them know they have left their things unattedned to long and they have now lost their chairs. They can now find other chairs if they want.
I wasn't trying to infer that you were moving items on a whim (sorry if it seemed that way).

I have no problem with the staff moving items after the given time. They are supposed to move them.

I have no problem with guests telling the staff to move items after the given time.

I have a problem with guests taking it upon themselves to move items. That would lead to the "I want it...I'm taking it.." mentality.

Funny subject, I had to add my thoughts.

On the Star for 32 days, on seadays I would get up early to walk on the promenade at 7am. I would watch people put their towels/and a personal item/book on the chairs. There are not that many chairs on the promenade. I would see them leave the items and the chairs. As I walked around for maybe an hour, the chairs were empty.

Then, I would walk on the promenade to attend trivia at 9:30.........chairs still empty.

Then, I would play shuffle board from 10-12 (free time and tournament) and........you guessed it, chairs still empty with the towels/items in exactly the same place.

It became my obsession to see when the people would finally come to their claimed chairs. I didn't need a chair because I was busy doing other stuff. BUT, one day the weather was bad and I was not feeling well, so I claimed my chair and sat there from about 7am-2pm and the 10-12 chairs I could see that were claimed early with towels/items, some never were used AT ALL!! about 1/2 finally got used after lunch. WHAT??

Those chairs had stuff on them for most of the day with no one in them. All the while, people trying to find any open chair with no luck. It just so happened that one chair right next to me was claimed, when the person came at 12 noon, I politely said, "oh, I thought something had happened to you since the chair was empty all day with your stuff". She said, "mind your own business, I can do what I want"

End of story........... you just can't teach some people manners.............

Funny subject, I had to add my thoughts.

It just so happened that one chair right next to me was claimed, when the person came at 12 noon,

I politely said, "oh, I thought something had happened to you since the chair was empty all day with your stuff".

She said, "mind your own business, I can do what I want"

End of story...........

you just can't teach some people manners.............

It's rude to tell people they are rude. :evilsmile: lol

Edited by $hip$hape

On our cruises that left from US Ports: chair hogs abound. On the ones from European ports: didn't notice it at all. Just sayin'

Chair hogs want 4 chairs together at 2:00pm and know full well by 2:00pm, it is going to be hard to find 4 chairs together. So, they hog them early in the morning. Could they find other chairs at 2:00? Sure! But they might have to look, and walk around for a while, and maybe have two people sit one place and two another. So, they reserve their chairs good and early. They don't care how much harder that makes it for the people at 11:00 to find a seat: not their problem.

We can argue all day long about how you can tell the difference between a reserved chair and chair that is temporarily not in use because someone is in the restroom or at the bar. For one: if they went to the bar, they probably left their companion behind to guard the chair.

Should you be able to go get lunch while "holding" a chair? Only if you are bringing back lunch to eat it on that chair.

It's simple, people: at any given time on the ship, you are entitled to one chair. If you are sitting in the dining room, you don't get to reserve a stool at the bar. If you are in a chair getting your hair done in the salon, you don't get to reserve a seat in theatre. And if you are sitting in a chair in the shade, in your room, in a dining room, in a bar or anywhere else on the ship, you don't get to reserve a seat by the pool.

IMO, the real cause of the problem is that the ship lets anyone hold chairs for any length of time. Because they have an hour, and because one everyone can watch, it is easy to hold a chair for two hours, three hours, twelve hours.

Want to fix the problem? New rule: like an airport: don't leave anything unattended for any length of time. Anything left unattended will be removed from the pool area immediately.

Last AI I went to solved the chair hog problem by threatening us all with a $50.00 per lost towel-card fee. If you didn't turn in a towel and get your card, you couldn't get another towel or check out without paying $50.00. It was amazing how few towels you saw just sitting out on chairs.

I don't consider myself a chair hog.

I wake up early and enjoy coffee and a book before breakfast. Have sailed in lots of inside cabins, so I have always enjoyed being up on the pool deck as the ship is just starting to wake up, even when I am in a balcony room

Yes my sister and I place towels on chairs for our husbands.

Yes, we leave after about an hour and go enjoy a leisurely breakfast.

Yes the four of us return to our chairs and enjoy the rest of the day.

I don't consider myself a chair hog, or a pool chair obsessed fan....some would...:cool:

Funny subject, I had to add my thoughts.On the Star for 32 days, on seadays I would get up early to walk on the promenade at 7am. I would watch people put their towels/and a personal item/book on the chairs. There are not that many chairs on the promenade. I would see them leave the items and the chairs. As I walked around for maybe an hour, the chairs were empty.

Then, I would walk on the promenade to attend trivia at 9:30.........chairs still empty.

Then, I would play shuffle board from 10-12 (free time and tournament) and........you guessed it, chairs still empty with the towels/items in exactly the same place.

It became my obsession to see when the people would finally come to their claimed chairs. I didn't need a chair because I was busy doing other stuff. BUT, one day the weather was bad and I was not feeling well, so I claimed my chair and sat there from about 7am-2pm and the 10-12 chairs I could see that were claimed early with towels/items, some never were used AT ALL!! about 1/2 finally got used after lunch. WHAT??

Those chairs had stuff on them for most of the day with no one in them. All the while, people trying to find any open chair with no luck. It just so happened that one chair right next to me was claimed, when the person came at 12 noon, I politely said, "oh, I thought something had happened to you since the chair was empty all day with your stuff". She said, "mind your own business, I can do what I want"

End of story........... you just can't teach some people manners.............

The true definition of a chair hog. I have also witnessed similar. Although I have never moved peoples stuff I have slid their long empty chairs down a bit to squeeze in one for me.

I wake up early and enjoy coffee and a book before breakfast. Have sailed in lots of inside cabins, so I have always enjoyed being up on the pool deck as the ship is just starting to wake up, even when I am in a balcony room

I don't consider myself a chair hog, or a pool chair obsessed fan....some would...:cool:

I think this is OK. It's when they are reserved at 6 am and no one showed up until 1:00.

Generally, it's not a huge problem unless there are NO other loungers anywhere. Seldom is there a reason to be within splashing distance of the pool.[ /quote]

Except when you have children who are younger than teen years who need supervision when swimming.

It sucks to have to STAND by the pool for hours watching your kids with nowhere to sit and half the chairs taken up by 1 flip flop. We cruise spring break, usually, so it sucks. It is part of why I now book Haven. The 2015 cruise on Jewel, I literally spent about 3 hours a day standing in the 1" deep section of the family pool, because not only were all the loungers taken, the wood "walls" by the pool were taken up by people sunning and stuff.

They need lockers, honestly. if I have my 2 kids, Im toting at least 1 floatie, sunscreen, everybody's shoes, 3 towels, 2 changes of clothing,a hat and 3 pairs of sunglasses. Im not putting it on the deck, cause it'll get wet. And I certainly dont want to hold it the whole dang time.

Edited by Starflyr3

I was on the Getaway and my daughter and I went up to the deck right by the pool. We go 2 chairs and there were 6 by us with towels and chairs. We stayed up there for 2 hours and nobody never came up there. Someone finally came up and asked if there was anyone in that spot. I said it had been there for 2 hours but nobody ever came up. The lady picked it all up moved it to one chairs and layed right down with her family.

I am one if my kids are gonna play in the pool I don't need all 4 chairs they can just share mine. Plus I feel there are so many hidden chairs around the ship but nobody really looks. On the Getaway there were spots Everywhere.

If you really need to reserve your chairs eat in shifts as a family.

On our cruises that left from US Ports: chair hogs abound. On the ones from European ports: didn't notice it at all. Just sayin'Chair hogs want 4 chairs together at 2:00pm and know full well by 2:00pm, it is going to be hard to find 4 chairs together. So, they hog them early in the morning. Could they find other chairs at 2:00? Sure! But they might have to look, and walk around for a while, and maybe have two people sit one place and two another. So, they reserve their chairs good and early. They don't care how much harder that makes it for the people at 11:00 to find a seat: not their problem.

We can argue all day long about how you can tell the difference between a reserved chair and chair that is temporarily not in use because someone is in the restroom or at the bar. For one: if they went to the bar, they probably left their companion behind to guard the chair.

Should you be able to go get lunch while "holding" a chair? Only if you are bringing back lunch to eat it on that chair.

It's simple, people: at any given time on the ship, you are entitled to one chair. If you are sitting in the dining room, you don't get to reserve a stool at the bar. If you are in a chair getting your hair done in the salon, you don't get to reserve a seat in theatre. And if you are sitting in a chair in the shade, in your room, in a dining room, in a bar or anywhere else on the ship, you don't get to reserve a seat by the pool.

IMO, the real cause of the problem is that the ship lets anyone hold chairs for any length of time. Because they have an hour, and because one everyone can watch, it is easy to hold a chair for two hours, three hours, twelve hours.

Want to fix the problem? New rule: like an airport: don't leave anything unattended for any length of time. Anything left unattended will be removed from the pool area immediately.

Last AI I went to solved the chair hog problem by threatening us all with a $50.00 per lost towel-card fee. If you didn't turn in a towel and get your card, you couldn't get another towel or check out without paying $50.00. It was amazing how few towels you saw just sitting out on chairs.

Awesome post!!

I guess for me I don't see this as a 'chair hog' unless

1) your husbands don't arrive shortly after you and you are 'saving' their chairs for longer than an hour

2) how long is your leisurely breakfast?

3) if your leasurely breakfast lasted say 90 minutes, would you be upset if your chairs were now being used by someone else and your stuff was removed completelyor all of it was on one chair?

I have no issue with people going to get food. drinks, etc. But as someone brillantly posted previously, you are entitled to one chair at a time.

My favorite chair hog story. One morning on the Pearl, I was going up to Cagney's for breakfast and there were about three or four folks staking out their chairs....arranging towels and leaving a flip flop on each. I know it doesn't sound any different than other stores, but on this particulary morning, it was raining cats and dogs, but these folks still wanted to claim their chairs to be used when it stopped raining, which wasn't until later that afternoon:rolleyes:.

My favorite chair hog story. One morning on the Pearl, I was going up to Cagney's for breakfast and there were about three or four folks staking out their chairs....arranging towels and leaving a flip flop on each. I know it doesn't sound any different than other stores, but on this particulary morning, it was raining cats and dogs, but these folks still wanted to claim their chairs to be used when it stopped raining, which wasn't until later that afternoon:rolleyes:.

OMG is all I can say to that story! :rolleyes:Chair hogs at their finest!

@ nissach...in most cases we are back from breakfast in about an hour, husbands along with us claiming our chairs. This is usually all taking place before 9:00 a.m., so we have never had items removed on NCL. It did happen on another line, went to lunch at the buffet because this particular line has no pool side lunch options, our items were removed by crew. We were gone less than 30 min. for sure. They found us new seats....apparently available because crew had someone else's items removed because they vacated the chairs too long. When these folks returned and we were in "their" seats...war almost broke out! Shrugged it off, let them have their chairs back and proceeded to go back to our original seats which were now vacant!!

A lot of turmoil for nothing!

I always get chairs for the family. I am out there before 7am, and we all sit together. The difference is, they are always out there within an hour at the most, and well before "the masses" come and look for chairs.