Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

I was in the Gem Haven one trip when one family of four "reserved" all TEN of the lounge chairs and then headed off to breakfast or wherever. This lasted about one minute once the Concierge passed by.

I know this is not analogous, but it was pretty hilarious to see the family return to find the towels rolled up and the chairs available to anyone who wanted them.

It should not be GIVEN to anyone. Ask a crew member to move it. NEVER touch something that does not belong to you.

I once found a credit card left in a machine at a carpark, I took it and walked to the bank with it. Whatever you think about it I should do it again.

I agree with you that it's better to ask a crew member to move the things but sometimes it's much easier to just give the things to a crew member.

I have never removed the towels on chairs on a cruise ship, but have at an all inclusive resort.

My husband and I went to the pool early to see that all chairs were 'reserved' by towels. We waited and watched and after an hour we approached two lounge chairs, removed the hotel towels, placed them in the return basket and sat down. Approx. 2 hours later a family walked up to the chairs, looked confused and asked if there were towels on the chairs. We said yes there were about 2 hours ago and we removed them. They were angry, but what could they do. If you want to have chairs by the pool then put your butts in the chairs/loungers and actually use them! I would not hesitate to do this on a cruise ship, however we rarely sit by the pool.

We have found both on cruises and resorts that employees don't really care and don't want to remove peoples stuff, so to ask them is ususally useless.

You know on all my cruises I have yet to see this mythical creature the chair hog. I have only sailed six times, but I have never had any difficulty finding a lounger to enjoy. Remember that not everyone can be sitting directly next to the pool front row dead center. But I would HIGHLY caution against moving or touching ANYTHING that is not yours.

Well in my 15 cruises I've seen plenty of chair hogs. Most of them on Carnival with one absolute record breaking "lady" who was guarding 12 chairs for friends and family. Obviously it didn't last long, but she fought tooth and nail for every chair and was very upset when finally she was left with only two :D

We have found both on cruises and resorts that employees don't really care and don't want to remove peoples stuff, so to ask them is ususally useless.

This is one reason why I feel that it's sometimes easier to give things to a crewmember instead of asking them to remove the things. Some passengers are very rude so the crewmembers prefer not to argu with them, I understand that.

We had a spasuite on our first cruise on the Epic and every day we walked over the pooldeck to get to the Haven for breakfast. Some of the chairs were always reserved by the same family early every morning. Since we didn't needed the chairs, we used the chairs in the Haven, we didn't cared enough to do anything about it but we talked about that we should ask about having the things removed to help other passengers.

This is one reason why I feel that it's sometimes easier to give things to a crewmember instead of asking them to remove the things. Some passengers are very rude so the crewmembers prefer not to argu with them, I understand that

Very true..I agree!

No matter how self empowered you think you are, you should never touch any one else's property. Even if it is a pool towel that they are personally responsible for.

Take care though; towels are one thing but personal items are totally different. I used to walk round the promenade deck about 6.30 am and there were lots of chairs with stuff on. If I was walking again at 9am and the stuff was still there looking as it did earlier I would have a word with customer services. Let the staff deal with it but do keep informing them; do NOT moan.

Agreed...and yes, don't sweat the small stuff.

We have encountered "chair hogs" on every cruise. I don't usually let it bother me but on NCL last cruise these people were actually in the spa. Yes, they were hogging the loungers in the spa. There were rarely staff around to help with this and the time limit on the tile loungers is supposed to be 20 or 30 minutes max. For your body, not your stuff. Saw many chairs with stuff but no people for a couple of hours. It was crazy. Never experienced this in a spa on any other line. This time we will be in a large balcony instead of the spa.

We were on the Epic last month and witnessed chair hogs every, single morning. I don't sleep well and was up on deck no later than 5 every morning having coffee and reading. About 5:30 or 6:00 the CHs would start showing up. We'd watch them leave their towels and then scamper off. About 9-ish, after enjoying breakfast and running back down to the cabin to put on swimsuits, we'd then take our pick of chairs as every chair on the main deck had a towel, yet there were no people in any of them! That's over 3 hours of holding chairs with towels, for what purpose? We'd stay up on deck until the band started up then head inside. No one ever came to claim the chairs... So yeah, I'll move their stuff.

I am a big person, and by big, i mean, not fat at all, and, i probably weigh around 240 lbs. so, i have removed stuff that was left on a chair for more than an hour, many times before. and if i offended a snowflake along the way, so be it...

you can go collect your participation trophy along with your belongings at the towel deck.

and it is called respect, surely, if we have to respect you and your belongings, than you can respect me in return for removing them, after you went awol for an hour.

Snowflake, really? So chair hogs have political affinity?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am not a big time cruise person only been on 2 and booked my third. Maybe it is because I cruise in the fall / winter months Nov / Dec but there are always lots of chairs available. Now I already have a life time tan and like to read or listen to a book while relaxing so I have zero need to be in the sun or close to the pool so I had my choice of were to lay out. I guess if you really want the best spot you can always pay for the private adults only area ( the vibe) I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

"It should not be GIVEN to anyone. Ask a crew member to move it. NEVER touch something that does not belong to you."

If you don't want your stuff touched, then don't leave it unattended. But personally, I would get a steward to remove it...

We were on the Epic last month and witnessed chair hogs every, single morning. I don't sleep well and was up on deck no later than 5 every morning having coffee and reading. About 5:30 or 6:00 the CHs would start showing up. We'd watch them leave their towels and then scamper off. About 9-ish, after enjoying breakfast and running back down to the cabin to put on swimsuits, we'd then take our pick of chairs as every chair on the main deck had a towel, yet there were no people in any of them! That's over 3 hours of holding chairs with towels, for what purpose? We'd stay up on deck until the band started up then head inside. No one ever came to claim the chairs... So yeah, I'll move their stuff.

Maybe next cruise we can share chairs? LOL... we don't get out of bed until 9am or so... have some breakfast... change... saunter out maybe 11 or 11:30... hehe But still we always manage to find chairs... It might not be beside the pool, but usually find something...

...But still we always manage to find chairs... It might not be beside the pool, but usually find something...

That is usually the case but for some inexplicable reason, people really want chairs right beside the pool....to the point that they will walk past several empty chairs just to move items that are already on a chair in order to "claim" the chair.

It must be some sort of mimetic desire that causes people to so desperately want chairs that are in the least desirable location.

This is one reason why I feel that it's sometimes easier to give things to a crewmember instead of asking them to remove the things. Some passengers are very rude so the crewmembers prefer not to argu with them, I understand that.

Sounds easy ; Get the NCL Crew involved.

I would agree, however I don't remember a crew member around the pool.

Me thinks they avoid this area for said reasons.:cool:

My 1st NW cruise is fast approaching.

When I have sailed on Carnival I would watch a handful of chairs with towels "reserving" them.

If I was certain the occupants did not return in at least 45 minutes I Took the towels to whoever was working the area and claim the chairs for myself and spouse.

Many times the hogs did not even return while I was using the chairs.

The few times they did return and tell me they had reserved the chairs I told them exactly what I had done.

I never had any type of confrontation because of this

So, my question is " Will this also work on NW? and if not why not?

The freestyle dailies on NCL state that towels and belongings left for an hour could be removed by staff. If you are removing things after 45 minutes, then you are the one in the wrong. Follow the rules. If it's over an hour, then notify a staff member.

I once found a credit card left in a machine at a carpark, I took it and walked to the bank with it. Whatever you think about it I should do it again.
In that situation, the owner of the credit card didn't intentionally leave his/her card in the machine.;)

If someone intentionally puts their items on a chair and walks away for 5, 10, or even 52 minutes, the items shouldn't be touched by anyone other than the person who put them there. The dailies state that items are to be removed by staff after 60 minutes. Nowhere does it state that guests are to remove anything that is from another guest.

My 1st NW cruise is fast approaching.

When I have sailed on Carnival I would watch a handful of chairs with towels "reserving" them.

If I was certain the occupants did not return in at least 45 minutes I Took the towels to whoever was working the area and claim the chairs for myself and spouse.

Many times the hogs did not even return while I was using the chairs.

The few times they did return and tell me they had reserved the chairs I told them exactly what I had done.

I never had any type of confrontation because of this

So, my question is " Will this also work on NW? and if not why not?

They are allowed 60 minutes. If you are going to stand there for 60 minutes and "watch" a chair while you are on vacation, well ... :rolleyes:

This has to be the most insane topic I have come across. There is not a chance in hell I am going to let a chair, or people hogging chairs, bother me while I am on vacation. I will find another chair and place to sit and go about having a good time. I spent way too much money and effort on this upcoming vacation to worry about a CHAIR!!!! 25 days and counting until our trip on the Epic.

The majority who come here are all talk. I couldn't fathom wasting time "watching" a chair either. Ridiculous!