Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

I do not want to stir the pot, but, to me it sounds lot like those who say you should never touch another persons stuff, might well be the people who leave their stuff on the chairs. ( i am only talking about chair hogs here)

yes, the daily does mention a staff member will remove it,..if left unattended for 61 min... it does not say, as a passenger, i can not do it?

so, if you do not listen to the rules, and leave your stuff for longer than an hour, then, please tell me where it says I am not allowed to remove it?

please, show me the rules that is written down, and, not your opinion?

why does this only work one way?

I do not want to stir the pot, but, to me it sounds lot like those who say you should never touch another persons stuff, might well be the people who leave their stuff on the chairs. ( i am only talking about chair hogs here)

yes, the daily does mention a staff member will remove it,..if left unattended for 61 min... it does not say, as a passenger, i can not do it?

so, if you do not listen to the rules, and leave your stuff for longer than an hour, then, please tell me where it says I am not allowed to remove it?

We are out there usually around 7ish, and stay until the early afternoon. We use our seats, and do not leave them unattended (and my husband is a big guy - we still don't leave the chairs unattended). There have been times people have walked around looking for chairs, and if it's a situation where I watched someone leave a towel at 7am, and it's now noon and they still aren't back, then I would say "that chair has been sitting like that for 5 hours" ... blah blah blah. However, to just walk up to a chair and move stuff? Are these people really standing there for an hour watching the chair, or are they asking others around them if the chairs are really occupied?

Would be so much easier if the deck attendants actually did their job and removed the unattended items.

Sounds easy ; Get the NCL Crew involved.

I would agree, however I don't remember a crew member around the pool.

Me thinks they avoid this area for said reasons.:cool:

On the Epic we should have talked to someone in the Haven, the concierge if he was there, who could have talked to someone in charge of the pooldeck.

In that situation, the owner of the credit card didn't intentionally leave his/her card in the machine.;)

If someone intentionally puts their items on a chair and walks away for 5, 10, or even 52 minutes, the items shouldn't be touched by anyone other than the person who put them there. The dailies state that items are to be removed by staff after 60 minutes. Nowhere does it state that guests are to remove anything that is from another guest.

I can assume that noone leave things intentionally on deck chairs since it's not allowed to reserve them.

That the staff waits 60 minutes before they remove things doesn't mean that it's allowed to reserve deck chairs for 59 minutes.

The majority who come here are all talk. I couldn't fathom wasting time "watching" a chair either. Ridiculous!

When on gem I would take a chair and sit but look around to see if someone is leaving, since my son I using the slide I would have to stay by the pool and watch him no choice standing or sitting, if I can't find lounger. Usually I would find the lounger in 10-15 minutes. Worse can I can ask pool attendant then they will find a spot for me. I would not touch someone's else belongings. I did saw a group of 3 come over and take 6 chairs. When I did not see them comeback for hours I told the attendant and he cleared the items. We are a family of 3 and I never take 3 chairs 2 at most, usually me and DH just take turns watching our son.

How do you determine who is a "chair hog" based solely on seeing items on a chair? You would have to watch it for an hour non-stop to be sure that the person didn't towel off, lay in the sun for 3 minutes, then return to the pool. Without watching for 1 hour straight, you do not know if the item has been unattended for 1 hour, do you?

On THEIR ship, you cannot do whatever isn't specifically prohibited in writing.

"It is not intended to be all-inclusive and it is possible that not all issues are specifically addressed." - Guest Conduct Policy.

It is impossible to specifically state EVERYTHING that guests are not allowed to do on their ship.

You are not allowed to move another person's items without their consent. I can't borrow your iPhone and return it, can I? Tell me where it says that I can't.

It doesn't work "one way". You (the person moving someone's items) are not authorized to move another guest's items. Yes, people are not allowed to leave items unattended for more than one hour but it is staff (not you) who ARE authorized to move items.

I can assume that noone leave things intentionally on deck chairs since it's not allowed to reserve them.

That the staff waits 60 minutes before they remove things doesn't mean that it's allowed to reserve deck chairs for 59 minutes.

How do you determine what is "usage" vs. "reserving"?

If (for example) I walk out with a towel, put the towel on the chair, go in the pool, swim for 10 minutes, get out and walk over to the bar for a drink, how would you know what I am doing if all that you see is a towel on a chair. Even if you stare at the towel/chair for 15 minutes, I have not broken any rule, have I?

If you stare at the towel/chair for 1 hour and it has not been used, THEN you can claim that a rule has been broken and THEN the items should be removed by the staff.

I get the don't touch or move other peoples belongings...but if we are hanging around the pool hoping to find one or two loungers and I notice that one or two loungers have been empty(other than towels, etc) on them for over an hour, I will ask an employee to remove the items or I will remove them and bring them to the employee at the towel station.

If you want to sit by the pool then actually sit by the pool. If you want to go and have lunch, then go and have lunch and remove your stuff from the chairs and let someone else use them. You can't do both.

I get the don't touch or move other peoples belongings...but if we are hanging around the pool hoping to find one or two loungers and I notice that one or two loungers have been empty(other than towels, etc) on them for over an hour, I will ask an employee to remove the items or I will remove them and bring them to the employee at the towel station.

Do you see the contradiction?

Take the following scenario....

You: This towel has been unattended for 2 hours

Staff: I will remove the item

(owner of item returns)

Chair Hog: Where is my towel and my $30 bottle of sunscreen?

You: The staff moved them. I didn't touch your things.

VS.

You: This towel has been unattended for 2 hours...I'll move it and take it to the staff

(owner of items returns)

You: I took your towel to the staff

Staff: You only gave us a towel, not any sunscreen

^^ See the potential problem? By touching the items and moving them yourself, you have opened yourself up to accusations of theft (which you did not commit). If the chair hog accuses only the staff, you are free and clear. If you actually moved the items and brought them over to the staff, you would be the prime suspect in the theft of the sunscreen even if there was no sunscreen at all.

If you want to sit by the pool then actually sit by the pool. If you want to go and have lunch, then go and have lunch and remove your stuff from the chairs and let someone else use them. You can't do both.

The same could be said for people in the pool. "...can't do both..." could also mean swimming vs sitting on a chair. People can use a chair and also walk somewhere else within the stated time. You might think that 1 hour is too long but it's NCL ship and their rule. Some cruise-lines are 45 minutes. Some are 30 minutes. If it is that important, find a line that suits you.

i do not want to stir the pot, but, to me it sounds lot like those who say you should never touch another persons stuff, might well be the people who leave their stuff on the chairs. ( i am only talking about chair hogs here)yes, the daily does mention a staff member will remove it,..if left unattended for 61 min... It does not say, as a passenger, i can not do it?

So, if you do not listen to the rules, and leave your stuff for longer than an hour, then, please tell me where it says i am not allowed to remove it?

Please, show me the rules that is written down, and, not your opinion?

Why does this only work one way?

ditto.

Do you see the contradiction?

Take the following scenario....You: This towel has been unattended for 2 hours

Staff: I will remove the item

(owner of item returns)

You: The staff moved them. I didn't touch your things.

VS.

You: This towel has been unattended for 2 hours...I'll move it and take it to the staff

(owner of items returns)

You: I took your towel to the staff

Staff: You only gave us a towel, not any sunscreen

^^ See the potential problem? By touching the items and moving them yourself, you have opened yourself up to accusations of theft (which you did not commit). If the chair hog accuses only the staff, you are free and clear. If you actually moved the items and brought them over to the staff, you would be the prime suspect in the theft of the sunscreen even if there was no sunscreen at all.

The same could be said for people in the pool. "...can't do both..." could also mean swimming vs sitting on a chair. People can use a chair and also walk somewhere else within the stated time. You might think that 1 hour is too long but it's NCL ship and their rule. Some cruise-lines are 45 minutes. Some are 30 minutes. If it is that important, find a line that suits you.

Don't leave your things unattended at all then...anything can ACTUALLY be stolen at any point!

If you are in the pool swimming you are not in your chairs but you are in close prioximty, so I don';t see this as the same thing at all as leaving all of your belongings on your chair unattended, for longer than an hour, going to have lunch or back to your room or to just wander the ship, whatever it may be and expect that your things should still be there! You apparently are not interested in sitting by the pool any longer if you are gone for over an hour, so move your stuff! That si why people call them 'chair hogs'....

My first option would be to ask the staff to remove the items. But I would not hesitate to remove the items myself and turn them into the staff.

Other than watching your kids....is there some reason why everyone has to lounge around the pool? What is the big deal with that? The sun is everywhere! There are chairs in many places.

I have found it can be chairs everywhere that people try to save...but I do agree that the ones by the pool seem to be the chairs of choice.

We are morning people, and will be at the pool fairly early.We will be there, and, see these people come, drop off their stuff, and leave.

Then, few hours later, when it gets busier, and more and more people are looking for chairs, we will tell them, they can sit there, ( on the chairhogs chair) and I will remove the flipflop and towel that was left on a chair, and take it to the towel stand / hut.

I have been doing this for the past 15 cruises, and, I will continue to do it for the next 15 cruises.

If you see me as the person I then wrong here, than, why, no tonce before, on NCL or Carnival, did a single employee told me I should stop doing it? I did not do it like 100 time a cruise, maybe 2 or 3 times.

And, no, I do not sit there with a stop watch, and time it to the second, so, did I potentially remove something in less than an hour,yes, but, if the owner did not come back till 2 hours later, does it matter.

And, there is a difference between a flip flop, that a passenger intentionally leave unattended for a few hours, vs, an Iphone, car, etc, so please do not even go there.

Again, I just think, the people who defend the chair hogs,must be the chair hogs.

Why else would you defend them?

Also, if I were to walk on the ship, and a IPhone or Wallet is laying on the floor? What do I do,? Just leave it, as I should not touch another person’s stuff without his/her express consent, written in both English /Spanish in triplicate? Or, so I pick it up, and take it to Reception?

Maybe that person is just reserving that spot for later, and he is keeping a place on the deck for the party later that night, as, this is the way some of you make it sounds like…

We are morning people, and will be at the pool fairly early.We will be there, and, see these people come, drop off their stuff, and leave.

Then, few hours later, when it gets busier, and more and more people are looking for chairs, we will tell them, they can sit there, ( on the chairhogs chair) and I will remove the flipflop and towel that was left on a chair, and take it to the towel stand / hut.

I have been doing this for the past 15 cruises, and, I will continue to do it for the next 15 cruises.

If you see me as the person I then wrong here, than, why, no tonce before, on NCL or Carnival, did a single employee told me I should stop doing it? I did not do it like 100 time a cruise, maybe 2 or 3 times.

And, no, I do not sit there with a stop watch, and time it to the second, so, did I potentially remove something in less than an hour,yes, but, if the owner did not come back till 2 hours later, does it matter.

And, there is a difference between a flip flop, that a passenger intentionally leave unattended for a few hours, vs, an Iphone, car, etc, so please do not even go there.

Again, I just think, the people who defend the chair hogs,must be the chair hogs.

Also, if I were to walk on the ship, and a IPhone or Wallet is laying on the floor? What do I do,? Just leave it, as I should not touch another person’s stuff without his/her express consent, written in both English /Spanish in triplicate? Or, so I pick it up, and take it to Reception?

Maybe that person is just reserving that spot for later, and he is keeping a place on the deck for the party later that night, as, this is the way some of you make it sounds like…

LIke!

Like!!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No one is defending people who leave items for more than 1 hour. Those people are wrong without question. It is ALSO wrong to move items that do not belong to you. Why do people feel that it is fine to move items that aren't theirs because "it's been long enough..." yet no one admits to watching items for 1 hour?

It's also never been explained why people want the worst positioned chairs on the deck. This goes for people who go out at 6am just to get a chair by the pool.

Maybe since I don't want nor need one of those chairs, I can look at the situation without emotion. I think it's silly to stalk a chair or to enjoy moving things that aren't mine.

No one is defending people who leave items for more than 1 hour. Those people are wrong without question. It is ALSO wrong to move items that do not belong to you. Why do people feel that it is fine to move items that aren't theirs because "it's been long enough..." yet no one admits to watching items for 1 hour?It's also never been explained why people want the worst positioned chairs on the deck. This goes for people who go out at 6am just to get a chair by the pool.

Maybe since I don't want nor need one of those chairs, I can look at the situation without emotion. I think it's silly to stalk a chair or to enjoy moving things that aren't mine.

I have watched chairs that have been unused for an hour plus, not because I enjoy doing this...but if it is a sea day and we want to enjoy sometime by the pool or in the sun/shade somewhere and we can't get a chair or two because they are either been used or being 'saved' then we watch.

I don't get enjoyment moving peoples things but I will do it if they have left their chairs for longer than an hour. I want to use them and apparently they don't!

It is ALSO wrong to move items that do not belong to you.

You are right, going forward, i will just flip over the chair, drop the stuff on the ground, and use the chair. This way, i am not actually touching the stuff.

Now I understand why when you buy a cup of coffee in the States, you get the following warnig on the cup..

Coffee may be hot.

I mean, really, i would have never guessed... :evilsmile:

You are right, going forward, i will just flip over the chair, drop the stuff on the ground, and use the chair. This way, i am not actually touching the stuff. Now I understand why when you buy a cup of coffee in the States, you get the following warnig on the cup..

Coffee may be hot.

I mean, really, i would have never guessed... :evilsmile:

Be careful....technically you are still 'moving' someone elses stuff ;), but I like your thinking!