Transportation from Port Canaveral to Universal Citywalk Orlando

Beerrocket

Other than Royal's Universal Studios transportation which is only $39, is there an alternative to get to Universal's CityWalk Orlando and back to the Cruise Terminal? The price is not bad, its just we do not know if we want to stay the entire 8 hours. We just kinda want the freedom to be able to come back when we want, like a taxi service, or shuttle etc.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

Edited by Beerrocket

Rental car will involve paying for parking. Not to rain on your parade, but have you seen the price of tickets for two parks? It's about a 60 minute drive each way. So not much time at the park.

We stayed pre-cruise at the Lowe's and then had a town car take us to the port. If memory serves me that was about $120 O/W.

Personally, I would NOT use any of the shuttle companies mentioned. The theme parks are not their thing and you will have to get a private van or you are back to the same restrictions of the cruise line bus. A private van will cost $120+ and I will not trust any of them to be waiting outside at Universal ready when you are! At best you will have to wait for them to arrive - a bit scary.

UberX is your best bet. Total freedom at $90 or so and the driver will pick you up in minutes.

Not to rain on your parade, but have you seen the price of tickets for two parks? It's about a 60 minute drive each way. .

CityWalk itself doesn't require admission- it has retail shops, resturants and clubs. That being said, it would be hard to kill all 8 hours in CityWalk itself, unless you're the clubbing type. More realistic is 2-3 hours if you're enjoying a leisurely meal and some shopping.

• 5 months later...
CityWalk itself doesn't require admission- it has retail shops, resturants and clubs. That being said, it would be hard to kill all 8 hours in CityWalk itself, unless you're the clubbing type. More realistic is 2-3 hours if you're enjoying a leisurely meal and some shopping.

I don't recall there being much clubbing during the day at CityWalk. If I'm reading correctly - they are docking at Port Canaveral and want to get to CityWalk, then back to the port to reboard the ship? I couldn't imagine going through that kind of a drive for CityWalk, personally - there simply isn't much there. We usually go for dinner or something, and Toothesome is a pretty cool place. Maybe CityWalk early then head over to Disney Springs as well? But really, it's just theme park shopping. So many better things to do.

And freedom would be to use Uber for $100 or so.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anybody know what time the RCCL Universal bus leaves port and what time it returns? It seems like the most economical transportation, but not sure I want to spend an hour waiting for the bus to fill up before departing, etc.

Our ship doesn't leave til 9:00 PM; I wonder if that means the departure time will be later...? If not, I'll stick to the limo idea. Thanks @taxcollectors.

When that was my situation, the bus was scheduled to leave Universal at 7 p.m. The guide on the bus reminded everyone on the bus during the drive from the ship to the park AT LEAST two dozen times: You must be back on the bus by 7. If you are not on the bus, the bus will leave without you.

I was back on the bus at 6:45, as were most people.

We waited until 7:40 for the last stragglers. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2017 at 3:35 PM, BNBR said:

I don't recall there being much clubbing during the day at CityWalk. If I'm reading correctly - they are docking at Port Canaveral and want to get to CityWalk, then back to the port to reboard the ship? I couldn't imagine going through that kind of a drive for CityWalk, personally - there simply isn't much there. We usually go for dinner or something, and Toothesome is a pretty cool place. Maybe CityWalk early then head over to Disney Springs as well? But really, it's just theme park shopping. So many better things to do.

And freedom would be to use Uber for $100 or so.

I agree with you, there is not much at Citywalk to do, a few shops but mostly club type bars and restaurants. Some of the bars and restaurants do not open until after 5pm.  I was a little disappointed the day we went, especially since it is $25 to park if there before 6pm.

Sherri🙂

17 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

I agree with you, there is not much at Citywalk to do, a few shops but mostly club type bars and restaurants. Some of the bars and restaurants do not open until after 5pm.  I was a little disappointed the day we went, especially since it is $25 to park if there before 6pm.

Sherri🙂

They don't separate the theme park and citywalk parking, so you are basically paying theme park pricing!  Disney Springs, unless something has changed, is free to park.

We had a full day in Orlando from Canaveral, got through a lot of great rides at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, if it's super busy and you have specific rides that have lines I can see this being more of a problem,  but in Mid October, it was easy. Tried to rent a car, but post hurricane, we couldn't, three of us shared an Uber/Lyft each way, plenty of time to spare for a 6.30pm all aboard, 7am arrival. 

If you want to do one park, get the Express Pass (short line).  Otherwise you will spend most of your time standing in line.

HOWEVER, if you a Harry Potter fan, there is a section in each park.  And to ride the Hogwarts Express ride between them, you much have a two park pass, with Park-to-Park.  So MUCH more expensive.

Just checked.  Single park pass for an adult is $115.  A Park-to-Park is $170.  Yes for ONE DAY.  An Express Pass is $169.95.

BTW, kids tickets are really discounted.  A WHOLE $5 per ticket (park tickets, Express Pass is the same price for kids).  And a 10 year old is an "adult" for ticket prices.

I would visit the space center and do the parks (even City Walk) another trip.

Edited by SRF

25 minutes ago, SRF said:

If you want to do one park, get the Express Pass (short line).  Otherwise you will spend most of your time standing in line.

HOWEVER, if you a Harry Potter fan, there is a section in each park.  And to ride the Hogwarts Express ride between them, you much have a two park pass, with Park-to-Park.  So MUCH more expensive.

Just checked.  Single park pass for an adult is $115.  A Park-to-Park is $170.  Yes for ONE DAY.  An Express Pass is $169.95.

BTW, kids tickets are really discounted.  A WHOLE $5 per ticket (park tickets, Express Pass is the same price for kids).  And a 10 year old is an "adult" for ticket prices.

I would visit the space center and do the parks (even City Walk) another trip.

Agreed. It's over $300/pp for a day trip to Universal. They brilliantly set it up where you basically have to go to both parks to really enjoy it. And the express pass is a no brainer. We have season passes and just book a hotel room on property for the night to get included express passes. I wouldn't go for a short day trip if paying full price. 

And it is REALLY biased against single day visitors.

A 4 day pass is about the same as 2x 1 day passes.

I know, when we did Disney in Dec 17 (and did Universal also), an 4 day Disney pass was just over $400.  An 8 day pass was $485.  

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

And it is REALLY biased against single day visitors.

A 4 day pass is about the same as 2x 1 day passes.

I know, when we did Disney in Dec 17 (and did Universal also), an 4 day Disney pass was just over $400.  An 8 day pass was $485.  

We are lucky that we can do the Florida passes. Which is usually 3-4 days at Disney for $200 or so. Not bad.  And yeah, all parks do this with multi day. If someone really wants to do Universal, I'd just make an actual vacation out of it and stay at a Universal hotel for express passes. 

But if I go, I want to do both Universal and Disney.

Last time, we were there for 2 weeks.  Had 4 day Univeral with Express.  8 day Disney, and did Discovery Cove, which gives you free entryto Sea World and their water park.

BUSY vacation