QE & QM2 on Sydney Harbour

Dowunder

Yes, a great sight to see both QM2 and QE in Sydney harbour toady - despite the weather. QM2 looked magnificent docked in Circular Quay particularly this evening when she was lit up like a christmas tree! It was so wonderful to be able to get so close to the ship. I could even see inside one of the new single cabins - the chaise long by the window looks very nice!!

Great photographs, thanks. Yes the visit of the two Cunarders, especially QM2 has certainly been given some publicity and media.

Great to see, these ships are sailing full as well.:hearteyes: The bean counters at Carnival Corporation will be happy and plenty of dollars being spent on adult beverages no doubt. According to news reports, when QM2 sailed last night from Sydney to Tasmania, there were more Australians on board than Brits, amazing.

The article on CC says:

It was back in 2007 when Sydneysiders first lined the harbour to witness Queen Mary 2 meeting with Queen Elizabeth. History was repeated when the two same ships sailed in on Saturday morning.

The QE was launched in 2010 and so is only 6/7 years old. So presumably it was the QE2 or QV previously?

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=7566

The article on CC says:
It was back in 2007 when Sydneysiders first lined the harbour to witness Queen Mary 2 meeting with Queen Elizabeth. History was repeated when the two same ships sailed in on Saturday morning.
The QE was launched in 2010 and so is only 6/7 years old. So presumably it was the QE2 or QV previously?

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=7566

Yes indeed that was a different Queen Elizabeth ten years ago. It was QM2 and QE2 that were both in Sydney on 20 February 2007.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

The Australian sector cruises are always sailing full and Australians comprise the majority. That's been the case ever since they first came down under. There's often a wait list for them.

So many of the Brits do not do the whole 3 - 4 month 'Worlide?' Southampton to Southampton.?

Unlike P&O UK, when we did Arcadia in 2012, Sydney to Southampton, most of the pax were Brits doing the whole Worldie. Still quite a few Aussies got on in Sydney though, like us.

But of course, Cunard per diem is quite a bit more then P&O per diem, normally. I recollect we paid AU$5300 (2 for 1 promo) each for the 49 dayer on Arcadia. That is $108 per diem - outside cabin. On QM2 Thursday, 16 night to HK, we are paying $193 per diem - sheltered balcony cabin, a reasonable price for Cunard but no bargain in my opinion.

If one looks at Cunard Brochure for world cruising this year, launch prices are very steep. e.g. Balcony cabin, Southampton to Southampton, from $47,000 pptws. Around $400 per diem, rich mans's sport. :eek:

I think there are only 50 or so people on the whole world journey.

Holy Moly, the UK must be in recession, either that or Cunard prices are too high for the Brits.

Perhaps post Brexit it is more expensive to live in he 'Old Dart - Mother England.'

Don't worry Teresa May, we will be over there next year contributing to the UK economy, again !!:halo:

Holy Moly, the UK must be in recession, either that or Cunard prices are too high for the Brits.

Perhaps post Brexit it is more expensive to live in he 'Old Dart - Mother England.'

Don't worry Teresa May, we will be over there next year contributing to the UK economy, again !!:halo:

People plan world cruises years ahead. They have to as there are multiple visas required.

Yes indeed that was a different Queen Elizabeth ten years ago. It was QM2 and QE2 that were both in Sydney on 20 February 2007.

Regards,

John

Thank you. I've now found an article on the Seatrade-cruise website which says:

Saturday’s royal rendezvous comes 10 years after Queen Mary 2 paid her first visit to Sydney on February 20, 2007, bringing the city to a standstill as spectators lined the foreshores to see her meet up with the legendary QE2.

55f957d23264fa3998c93c8485438164.jpg

Love this photograph of Captain Wells

Yes it a lovely photograph, but I'm having trouble understanding what Captain Wells is standing on, plus the proximity of that pointed object seems to indicate photo shop at work , or more like a photo montage.- Corrections welcome. Thank you. -Salacia

Yes it a lovely photograph, but I'm having trouble understanding what Captain Wells is standing on, plus the proximity of that pointed object seems to indicate photo shop at work , or more like a photo montage.- Corrections welcome. Thank you. -Salacia

He is standing on the 'pathway' that leads to the point of the roof of the Sydney Opera House.

Partial quote

.... I recollect we paid AU$5300 (2 for 1 promo) each for the 49 dayer on Arcadia. That is $108 per diem - outside cabin. On QM2 Thursday, 16 night to HK, we are paying $193 per diem - sheltered balcony cabin, a reasonable price for Cunard but no bargain in my opinion.

:eek:

A 2 for 1 promo? Good to know you good folks down under also get promotional offers ( despite reports to the contrary) :)

Sorry, I should have included the text -

Our magnificent Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth both visited Sydney today for a Royal Rendezvous on their #CunardWorldVoyage, ten years after Queen Mary 2's first visit to the city in 2007. Queen Mary 2 Captain Christopher Wells had the best seat in the house, taking in the view of his ship and her sister Queen Elizabeth from the sails of the Sydney Opera House during the morning! #CunardInSydney

Footage by James Morgan Photographic Consultancy