USA Boarder Control

Things are pretty much the same in may countries around the world. During a short shop over in Bangkok my husband went through the scanner setting it off. He has a hip replacement is some scanner detect it. Anyway he also had on a belt with a buckle and he was instructed to take it off. Can't says he my pants will fall down "sir remove your belt" which he dutifully did...and down came the pants. He was waved through rapidly trying not to trip over his pants. Elastic waist from then on.

Things are pretty much the same in may countries around the world. During a short shop over in Bangkok my husband went through the scanner setting it off. He has a hip replacement is some scanner detect it. Anyway he also had on a belt with a buckle and he was instructed to take it off. Can't says he my pants will fall down "sir remove your belt" which he dutifully did...and down came the pants. He was waved through rapidly trying not to trip over his pants. Elastic waist from then on.

Why not hold them up?

LOL, sometimes we spoil our kids and inadvertently infect them with the cruise and travel bugs.:p

We indeed indeed pay for her cruise on the Voyager! I didn't really think it was spoiling her though. She worked really hard at uni for the year and took the attitude that every little bit of extra information she learned may one day make a life and death difference!

One day you may benefit from her attitude, although I hope you never need her services. We are also in Canberra.

We would have sent her on an end of year cruise last year as well, but there are more and more pracs at semester end as you go through the these courses and the dates are assigned very late.

We had 13 in our family group last December. Joyous time for everyone and worth every cent we paid.

Just loved the happiness especially of the grandkids.

Unfortunately they are now infected with the bug!

everyone needs to realise that if you are going to another country other than your own that that is there law.

google all the info before you go and if you don't like it, ''don't go'' / or don't get off

my wife and I have travelled to over 30 countries and if you comply and show that you are willing to co-operate then there is never a problem.

mark my words the day will come when we are as strict as most other countries are now around the world.

expect some to be arrogant, but you are going into their country, and right or wrong they rule roost

everyone needs to realise that if you are going to another country other than your own that that is there law.

google all the info before you go and if you don't like it, ''don't go'' / or don't get off

my wife and I have travelled to over 30 countries and if you comply and show that you are willing to co-operate then there is never a problem.

mark my words the day will come when we are as strict as most other countries are now around the world.

expect some to be arrogant, but you are going into their country, and right or wrong they rule roost

No excuse for the rudeness, outright hostility and nastiness that we have seen and been subject to on some of our entry experiences to airports in the USA over many years.

I don't think anyone is saying that border control should not be strict or thorough. What the issue is that the staff in this case at some US airports are not only arrogant and rude but seem to be on a power kick and there is little that visitors/those seeking entry can do. I have met quite rude immigration officials before in other countries and in Australia but the stories from the US are showing a new level. It is not just one or two people, I know of quite a few that have had trouble entering, especially at LAX, most on Australian passports and most who have travelled extensively so have wide experience. I have no intention of visiting the US in the near future anyway so it won't affect me.

No excuse for the rudeness, outright hostility and nastiness that we have seen and been subject to on some of our entry experiences to airports in the USA over many years.

totally agree bpos,but we must all remember that although the usa will help defend her allies in times of need, the ultimate goal is to defend the usa at all costs both ex and internal.

the world is tinkering on the brink of another war,and the usa is only making sure that as few enemies are in their country as possible to reek havoc should their countries be struck by the usa and its allies.

the world is at a knifes edge at the moment,and all countries are tightening border controls and good on them.

this does not excuse rudness, but they expect their requests to be adhered to.

Not always, no. I have traveled to over 60 countries and we are always very polite and do as we are told and always respect the rules and customs of each country. If you read previous responses, you will see even doing as instructed and the correct thing, there are times when you still run foul of an officious officer. The experiences posted here are what has happened, even though people were doing all of the above. Saying if you don't like it 'don't go' is a little ridiculous under the circumstances.

totally agree bpos,but we must all remember that although the usa will help defend her allies in times of need, the ultimate goal is to defend the usa at all costs both ex and internal.

the world is tinkering on the brink of another war,and the usa is only making sure that as few enemies are in their country as possible to reek havoc should their countries be struck by the usa and its allies.

the world is at a knifes edge at the moment,and all countries are tightening border controls and good on them.

this does not excuse rudness, but they expect their requests to be adhered to.

I hardly think another (world) war is imminent. And if you look, the USA seems to have been up to its armpits in all recent conflicts. We have followed them into several ill advised campaigns.

This unpleasant attitude is nothing new, and unrelated to any recent event. We experienced the nasty treatment at LAX at least 20 years ago. This is why we now always travel NZ to Europe via Asia and not the US.

I agree. I remember the first time my daughter sent me a message years ago not to travel to UK from Australia with Air NZ, via US, because of the unpleasant attitude in transit at LAX, which she experienced.

However, unfortunately, now it is worse, with high level screening.

For the past 5 years, we have flown NZ-UK, going through Dubai by choice. There is one passage through security, but we have never encountered any problems there. We choose to avoid going through the US, due to several unpleasant experiences while passing through LAX.

We found going via Dubai was worse than anything we've experienced in US.

There is extreme security if you travel from Dubai to the US. There are/were in 2014, pat downs as well as normal security measures. Istanbul to the US had extra security as well but not to the same level as Dubai.