HAL Facebook Ads for Oprah Alliance

How is this different than the HAL/Microsoft business partnership. Apple users weren't up in arms. At least I don't recall any objections.

Roz

Now that you asked, hope PTB are listening:

Two problems with that MS franchise - available only for a limited number of passengers and always "sold out anyway' and yes, totally worthless for Mac users. This MS franchise is non-starter for us. We miss the librarian monitoring the book collections and the easy access lower deck library space.

We hate the NYT franchise. And we miss the more dedicated enrichment lectures, topical and enhancing where we are traveling and what we are experiencing; do not want some generic pastiche of new age nostrums.

The Facebook comments are pretty entertaining. Bottom line seems to be a fear of politicizing the cruise experience which is a valid concern. I would not book. Something is definitely wrong when elites like Oprah feel compelled to tell the masses what to think.

But I don't see the relationship of the Oprah partnership to general on board cutbacks, they've been happening For years.

The Facebook comments are pretty entertaining. Bottom line seems to be a fear of politicizing the cruise experience which is a valid concern. I would not book. Something is definitely wrong when elites like Oprah feel compelled to tell the masses what to think.

But I don't see the relationship of the Oprah partnership to general on board cutbacks, they've been happening For years.

One of the big complaints has been the elimination of the librarian. Now we learn that Oprah will have a book club on board most cruises. The book club implies a leader. Is it possible that HAL removed the librarian to open a position for the book club leader?

One of the big complaints has been the elimination of the librarian. Now we learn that Oprah will have a book club on board most cruises. The book club implies a leader. Is it possible that HAL removed the librarian to open a position for the book club leader?

The book clubs seem to still be thriving to date - at least, on the longer cruises which IMO is probably the only place they can be done since you need some sea days?

We'll find out soon enough in just over a month.

So long as she doesn't pick the book. Ugh. Her picks can be so downtrodden and miserable. Not all, but many.

And I think many would want the opportunity to be immersed in things such as meditation, tai chi, healthy cooking, book club activities and such.

It appeals to me and I am booked on one of the O Magazine cruises. I'm very much looking forward to the special offerings onboard during the cruise.

It appeals to me and I am booked on one of the O Magazine cruises. I'm very much looking forward to the special offerings onboard during the cruise.

Not to worry. Those listed activities have always been onboard options on HAL ships. Not new or special offerings, just part of the usual offerings. Some through the Fitness Center, the Library or the culinary demonstration studio. Onboard religious services of various denominations again have long been a HAL signature, so I assume guided meditation would fit right into that category too. Welcome to HAL.

Not to worry. Those listed activities have always been onboard options on HAL ships. Not new or special offerings, just part of the usual offerings. Some through the Fitness Center, the Library or the culinary demonstration studio. Onboard religious services of various denominations again have long been a HAL signature, so I assume guided meditation would fit right into that category too. Welcome to HAL.

Thank you for the welcome. I'm not completely new to HAL. I was on the maiden voyage of the Nieuw Amsterdam in July 2010 and I'll be returning to the Nieuw Amsterdam (and HAL) in March 2018 for the O cruise. Just a coincidence that it is the same ship...I'm very much looking forward to it.

Thank you for the welcome. I'm not completely new to HAL. I was on the maiden voyage of the Nieuw Amsterdam in July 2010 and I'll be returning to the Nieuw Amsterdam (and HAL) in March 2018 for the O cruise. Just a coincidence that it is the same ship...I'm very much looking forward to it.

We just had our first experience on the NA and did love this ship - for us it was the very lovely decor and the nice variety of options that the other smaller ships don't have. And Tamarind --Tamarind - Tamarind!

The small HAL ships still will have our heart, but when the time comes and they are finally all gone, the NA will certainly be our next best thing. You certainly picked a good one again for your own HAL homecoming. She is in great shape.

Some of us expressed disdain for her politics. We were correct. She is putting out feelers about running for the Presidency.

I would jump ship before I would listen to a politician.

I will bet TPTB are going to revisit this partnership.

I don't care about her politics at all. I do, however, object to her preaching about "be your own self" and "be true to who you are", and then have her pictures airbrushed and/or photoshopped. Didn't much care for her before that, and she completely lost me with that.

I never understood the arrangement with Microsoft. I can't see the workshops making any money for Microsoft and the program only "entertains" a handful of cruisers per day. I am surprised that Holland America sets aside that much floor space for the project. Where is the money?

I never understood the arrangement with Microsoft. I can't see the workshops making any money for Microsoft

Yet clearly they do. Never underestimate the value of brand visibility.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

She is putting out feelers about running for the Presidency.

I read about this yesterday and I am booked on an O Magazine cruise in March 2018. I am now considering cancelling my booking. I was looking at this cruise as relaxing and spa-like with some unique offerings (speakers, special guests, food, etc.), but if she is going to be a political candidate (for any party), I'm no longer interested.

I am overOprahed, if there is such a word and there should be. I returned to Weight Watchers three weeks ago and there she was and the touchy feely changes. I went to Talbots, a favorite store and now they have a Oprah's clothing selection. Next comes HAL. Too much!!!!!

Oprah is nice enough, but I never watched her program when I was working. I admire her politics, but I don't understand all the Oprah marketing.

On the other hand, I was very interesting to knowing about HAL's connection with American Test Kitchen. That interests me far more than "finding myself."

I wonder who is paying whom with this branding. The art auction, gambling, spa, stores, and excursion units pay for space and are a money makers for the cruise line. Please no Oprah too.

We liked the America Test Kitchen on our recent N-A cruise. Better recipes, more technique, more planning put into the presentation and camera sight lines, better timing between both the live chef and video tips and techniques from the ATK staff themselves back at home base. A lot more polished and educational.

This was a hit and very well attended. Only problem is they ran out of recipe cards and info sheets, since they may not have planned on full houses every time. My suggestion: go early and get a good seat ... and the info sheets.

On the other hand, I was very interesting to knowing about HAL's connection with American Test Kitchen. That interests me far more than "finding myself."
Me too. It's great that the cruise line is offering so many options so that there's something for everyone.

I wonder who is paying whom with this branding.
I keep throwing around a one word answer to this question, and since the question keeps getting asked in this thread I guess maybe I should define the word.

co
-
marketing
is “A partnership between two or more companies where both companies jointly market each other's products.
” - Webopedia

In co-marketing partnerships, money doesn't change hands. This is fantastic for both parties, since movement of cash between companies in partnerships adds complications galore. Each company effectively brings their tools of the trade to the table, and promote each other - a true win-win proposition.

We just got home from the first half of the Amsterdam WC. Orlando Ashford was aboard and during the question and answer session he mentioned the tie-in with Oprah. He said that they were not paying her and that she had never cruised before and wanted to take her first cruise on HAL. He had an interesting answer to the library situation on Konigsdam. Said that due to a design or construction error during the build the library was left out, but that was a mistake and will be corrected; thus, they do not plan to eliminate libraries. Another point concerning the Microsoft classes. My wife and I attended twenty different classes, some of them twice. We found them very useful since we use both Apple and MS products and really needed some instruction after switching to Windows 10. The instructor was great and we seldom had a problem getting in the class as there were 24 computers in the classroom and most classes were repeated morning and afternoon, with 4 classes a day on sea days and a couple in port.

I don't have an issue with Oprah's personal, almost a charter, cruise, but I think many of us would want to avoid an immersion in Oprah's magazine on other cruises.

^^^^ This. It's not about Oprah, it's about the potential inconvenience to HAL passengers.

The loud parties on the pool deck, the smoke wafting from the smoking area, the impact of recently reported crowding around the culinary arts center, "shopping parties," Catholic worship services, etc. Practically everything the cruise ship could offer represents either a potential inconvenience to other passengers, or the utilization of cruise line resources to benefit some passengers and therefore leaving less resources to provide what other passengers may be interested in.

We just got home from the first half of the Amsterdam WC. Orlando Ashford was aboard and during the question and answer session he mentioned the tie-in with Oprah. He said that they were not paying her and that she had never cruised before and wanted to take her first cruise on HAL. He had an interesting answer to the library situation on Konigsdam. Said that due to a design or construction error during the build the library was left out, but that was a mistake and will be corrected; thus, they do not plan to eliminate libraries. Another point concerning the Microsoft classes. My wife and I attended twenty different classes, some of them twice. We found them very useful since we use both Apple and MS products and really needed some instruction after switching to Windows 10. The instructor was great and we seldom had a problem getting in the class as there were 24 computers in the classroom and most classes were repeated morning and afternoon, with 4 classes a day on sea days and a couple in port.

Quite a construction error on the library[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]