Dining package disaster

SunnyKitty

If their reservation logic was so far out then we would be getting threads like this all the time. Unless people are keeping quiet about it (which is unlikely on this forum) or most people are getting to use their dining credits.

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that there aren't enough reservations available for all the SDPs they are giving away or selling. Add in the ad hoc, pay as you go diners and there is the likelihood of having trouble if you leave it too late, but it isn't hard to get reservations if you have the package and don't leave it to the last minute.

we got to use our dining credits but it required standing for 30 minutes at least near hostess until she finally lets you in.

And reservations options were all gone on day 3 of the cruise...all, until end of cruise. I have seen enough people standing in hope to get in ...

Last time I sailed with NCL was before SDP and we had no issues with same day\next day reservations for desired time.

as about "not leaving to last minute" - planned by the minute vacation is not for me. I can plan for today, may be tomorrow, but planing on land ahead of time and place to it - it takes out too much of fun.

as about "not leaving to last minute" - planned by the minute vacation is not for me. I can plan for today, may be tomorrow, but planing on land ahead of time and place to it - it takes out too much of fun.

Which is my whole point.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all as to how its is working on many cruises these days.

My point is that this is how it's working. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but these days this is what freestyle means, rightly or wrongly. From what you say, it sounds like the NCL setup isn't going to work for you whilst they are giving away the SDP.

Which is my whole point.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all as to how its is working on many cruises these days.

My point is that this is how it's working. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but these days this is what freestyle means, rightly or wrongly. From what you say, it sounds like the NCL setup isn't going to work for you whilst they are giving away the SDP.

yes, I am thinking on switching lines..

I have cruised with them and liked them, but some new things just not right anymore.

It is a little sad, since I am do not have a lot of option out of my home town and they we convenient for "no fly - save more " cruises.

Last week my family and friends were on Gateway. We all had SDP as part of our promo and got nice dinner on the first night at Le Bistro...

But on the third night once we tried to book a dinner we got "all specialty restaurants booked for this sailing". It was a surprise, since passing by we can see lots of empty tables, but service desk girl was firm - all booked, no reservations possible, anywhere, anytime..

Only option we got is come at 5-30 , get rejected and wait for half an hour for them to see what no one came and get the table this way. And it was not only us - usually it was about 10-20 people waiting like it, with half empty restaurant in sight and "all booked " in response.

That was disappointing...I have sailed with NCL before many times and it was never an issue to book restaurant in short notice. Actually before we always booked after seeing MDR menu and deciding. we don't care for it tonight.

I am not sure what is the reason - fault in their reservation system, to many SDP offered as a promo... not sure.. But this was not a good experience at all..

Second part of it - waiters were all trying to say " you can have only 2 appetizers with it and 1 desert". If continue to push - they were doing "only for you one time I will break rules" thing. Really ?

I checked online again and rules on the SPD says only additional entries have cost.

Nice post.

"People read freestyle as meaning you can decide what you want to do.

That isn't how it works in practice."

At the restaurants entry, we were asked for our cabin card.

After finding we were not staying in the Haven, the Hostess said,

"Sir, you have to understand, this restaurant is small.

We have no room for you at this time."

Edited by $hip$hape

Nice post.

That isn't how it works in practice."

At the restaurants entry, we were asked for our cabin card.

After finding we were not staying in the Haven, the Hostess said,

"Sir, you have to understand, this restaurant is small.

We have no room for you at this time."

7517565-Dining_Availability_Southampton.jpg?version=2

As a solo sailor, I was planning on using my Platinum Latitudes benefit to get four free meals, two in Cagney's and two in La Cucina on my Mexican Riviera cruise in April. (This is based on the "dinner for two" principle and my only being "one".) It sounds like I'm going to have to get everything booked the exact moment I board the ship or I'll be screwed along with everyone else. I hope the Cruise Next manager will be at her work station when I board. As with so much with NCL anymore, it's two steps forward and one step back.

you can book ahead. since they are alacarte, there is no charge.

As a solo sailor, I was planning on using my Platinum Latitudes benefit to get four free meals, two in Cagney's and two in La Cucina on my Mexican Riviera cruise in April. (This is based on the "dinner for two" principle and my only being "one".) It sounds like I'm going to have to get everything booked the exact moment I board the ship or I'll be screwed along with everyone else. I hope the Cruise Next manager will be at her work station when I board. As with so much with NCL anymore, it's two steps forward and one step back.

As others have mentioned you can book ahead as these are a la carte restaurants and there will not be a charge.

Also if it is true and you are no longer able to split the dinners between visits then perhaps you can look on your roll call, in the solo lounge, or at a singles get together for someone else who is also Platinum and solo and who would not mind getting together for dinner. That way you can each take turns bringing the other as a guest and thereby extending your Platinum benefits so that you each receive four dinners.

Just a thought

Rochelle

Yes, that's my understanding of freestyle.

It works perfectly for us.

However, I don't understand it to mean that I can make that decision on the day (or sometimes even a couple of days before) and be guaranteed that I can get into where I want. If I did, and it was important to me then maybe I wouldn't use NCL, although I'm not sure what the alternative would be, as places do fill up everywhere.

we got to use our dining credits but it required standing for 30 minutes at least near hostess until she finally lets you in.

And reservations options were all gone on day 3 of the cruise...all, until end of cruise. I have seen enough people standing in hope to get in ...

Last time I sailed with NCL was before SDP and we had no issues with same day\next day reservations for desired time.

Just an observation, part of the new "free style" environment seems to be that NCL can set dining room maximums and either turn you away or give you a time that you do not want! Not the concept that was in place when "free style" was first started...eat when, eat where and eat with who you want.

All this pre-planning, i.e., making dinner reservations and reserving shows months before you step onto the ship without knowing the rest of the daily schedule and taking into consideration you may return later from port than expected and want to take a nap, seems like a whole lot of work!

MARAPRINCE

Is there a problem getting a table at Taste, Savor or Tropicana without a reservation? Do I really need to make a reservation in advance at these restaurants?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Absolutely no need at all, unless you are a large group.

I've never had a reservation for the free places.

We book our speciality restaurants pre cruise, but most days we decide during the day where we want to eat (from the included places) and go along there when we want.

We eat fairly early and have never waited for more than a couple of minutes, except for the Asian place where we were given a buzzer and waited in the bar for about 30 minutes. If you eat at peak times there may be a short wait at the main dining rooms.

So does one have to have the IConcierge app to book restaurants or shows in advance at home or will there be the ability to do so online with my laptop 90 days out? Never booked ahead in our previous cruises but I think I will want to do that this time considering all the complaints.

So does one have to have the IConcierge app to book restaurants or shows in advance at home or will there be the ability to do so online with my laptop 90 days out? Never booked ahead in our previous cruises but I think I will want to do that this time considering all the complaints.

You just do it on the NCL website.

This is my observation about the how the dining reservations are in specialty restaurants; I could be wrong.

Each restaurant has so many tables; each table is reserved for only one dining party per evening. They scatter the times because of the limited staff. My question is; is any table used more than one reservation in an evening? I have not seen that. It would explain the empty tables and limited amount of many reservations.

It seems to be the explanation......has anyone seen anything else?

There are a finite number of tables, and it appears many choose the free package. Try finding a dining reservation the day of during free dining promotions at WDW. Now you do need to book ahead of time.

Remember the annoying pool waiters always asking if you want a drink? With the UBP, they are a thing of the past.

Just off Dawn... Constant pool waiter service. Excellent!

All this pre-planning, i.e., making dinner reservations and reserving shows months before you step onto the ship without knowing the rest of the daily schedule and taking into consideration you may return later from port than expected and want to take a nap, seems like a whole lot of work!

MARAPRINCE

Well said [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our last cruise our Concierge said that she had several people that would make reservations for more than one specialty on the same night because they weren't sure where they wanted to eat that night. Then they'd cancel the one they didn't want that evening.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

The FAQs address this:

Can I still split the dinner for two vouchers if I am a solo traveler (two meals for one person)?

No, this benefit is delivered as two dinners for two per stateroom. Solo travelers get two dinners for one. You cannot split the voucher in to two separate vouchers and redeem the dinners on two separate evenings. The benefit is only if there are two guests dining on the same visit.

Thanks for posting this authoritative link. That's a bummer, especially as my next cruise is on Jewel and I'm paying the 100% single supplement. Since I'm paying for two people in my cabin, you'd think they would give me two dinners. Alas.

As others have mentioned you can book ahead as these are a la carte restaurants and there will not be a charge.

Also if it is true and you are no longer able to split the dinners between visits then perhaps you can look on your roll call, in the solo lounge, or at a singles get together for someone else who is also Platinum and solo and who would not mind getting together for dinner. That way you can each take turns bringing the other as a guest and thereby extending your Platinum benefits so that you each receive four dinners.

Just a thought

Rochelle

That's a good idea, Rochelle. It might be too much work for me, especially as Jewel doesn't have a Studio-plex and likely has a less busy solo gathering. I guess I will proceed to online booking for my two meals. I didn't even think about the absence of a cover charge with the new more expensive scheme. Cheers.

This is my observation about the how the dining reservations are in specialty restaurants; I could be wrong.

Each restaurant has so many tables; each table is reserved for only one dining party per evening. They scatter the times because of the limited staff. My question is; is any table used more than one reservation in an evening? I have not seen that. It would explain the empty tables and limited amount of many reservations.

It seems to be the explanation......has anyone seen anything else?

We were on the Dawn this month and at Le Bistro they were full and turning tables while we were there.

Sailing on Getaway on Sunday. Booked 2 of my 3 promo SDP meals about a month prior to departure date. Wanted to book the 3rd for Cagney's, but table for 2 wasn't available except for really late time (9 or 9:30) - though tables for more people were available at earlier times.

Plan to try to book onboard ASAP once we board. Hopefully will be successful.

I guess I feel the opposite about making advance reservations. To me, that takes any of the "where and when do you want to go to dinner" debate out of the way. I make the plans when I am in that super organized work mode pre-vacation and then I never have to think about it again. I am that person that makes a reservation for almost every night. But I do leave some gaps for grabbing a burger at the bar. We did make a couple of changes to the schedule but not too many.

As a bonus, we had great window seats during sail aways every night of the cruise on the Sun. It was definitely a highlight of the trip. And by the way, we had outstanding service every night in all the specialities and the main dining rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you know if the singles and solos who meet in the studio area with the staff member, are they ever booked as a group for specialty dining and the social director makes a group reservation?

Or if the ship doesn't have studios, the singles and solos have a meetup at 6 at a bar, does someone take them as a group to the regular dining room?

Thanks

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Tapatalk