On Oasis with drinks package, slips for extra tips being presented?

kevinyork

Bit of an update from the OP here, spoke with the F&B manager few days back about this. First he said it was to manage inventory but I pointed out the till does that and given all unsigned/untipped slips were screwed up and binned then this couldn't be the reason. He said you don't have to sign and staff were wrong to pressure you to do so. But...it keeps happening. There is no pattern to who are where gives you the slips, some do, some don't.

A bit concerned reading in this thread that any additional tips on these slips are pooled shipwide since we had a great server in Chops last night and tipped on the slip to reward him and now it seems he may not have got that directly. Think we will ensure its cash all the way for any additional tips.

We are on Indy out of the UK in Sep and my guess is this won't be happening on that cruise as the Brits are not usually inclined to tip extra........watch this space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just had to check my birth certificate,yes I'm British and I tip darn well.

love sailing with RCCL

We were told the reason RC stopped the paper Diamond vouchers was they wanted to save the forests,ie use less paper and yet all the paper they use for unnecessary nil receipts makes them seem hypocritical.

love sailing with RCCL

It might not matter if you tip on the slip or in cash, they may be required to pool it either way. I have seen this on land with cash tips getting pooled at the bar.

A friend is a restaurant manager in UK said pooling tips is the norm although in the UK and on ships I have seen staff slip tips into their pocket so unless they are searched hopefully they keep it as they were the person who gave excellent service to me.

love sailing with RCCL

Just had to check my birth certificate,yes I'm British and I tip darn well.

love sailing with RCCL

So do we, if you read my opening post I said we cash tip those that we build a relationship with and who deserve the extra grats, but in cash rather than on a slip for every single drink, especially if that server isn't getting the whole tip. Just off Oasis and probably cash tipped around $100. I could name all of them as they were great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last week on Freedom I got slip with just about every package (Refreshment Package) drink I ordered. At first I found it annoying as it just seems like they are asking or more money on top of the 18% I already paid on the package. Finally I decided to just let it go and simply drew a line through the receipt and did not sign it. If they did not feel awkward looking for more money I was not going to feel awkward not giving more money.

For my Diamond voucher drinks I did tip per drink and I also tipped extra at the end of the week as I used the same bartender at the Schooner bar for each drink and he did give me excellent service. I never got a slip to sign from him.

Works fine when you are purchasing a drink. But what happens when you are handed

drinks included in your prepaid package, sea pass drink voucher, CL or DL drinks?

You put a tip or a 0 in the tip line and you sign it and hand it back.

We've had the old Replenish package a few times, and we generally would get slips (or on Vision we had to sign the digital thing). Sometimes we tip extra, sometimes we don't, we sign, we move on. This is NOT a big deal. Don't get peer pressured by a piece of paper. It's just not worth it.

We are on Indy out of the UK in Sep and my guess is this won't be happening on that cruise as the Brits are not usually inclined to tip extra........watch this space.

My guess as well. When I sailed on Explorer our of Southampton I never received any slips but when I've cruised with a drinks package out of Europe and the Caribbean the tip slips were constantly being given out. It's a bit of a nuisance but I've come to expect it on any non-UK cruises.

Once the bartenders realize you aren't tipping extra, they stop with the slips - seems to be the running theme. On our Oasis cruise, it was random. I think it's not required and if they think you aren't giving extra, then the bartender doesn't bother with it.

I always tip $1 extra. When I had a favorite bartender on Oasis in Central Park, I gave him a $50 at the end of the cruise.