for New Zealand & Australia - are there any savings to bring wine & pay corkage?

mouseterd1

For those of you who bring wine aboard and pay corkage on your cruises - is it worth doing so boarding in Auckland, cruising NZ and Oz, with respect to those countries cost of wine, [then plus the $18 corkage fee]? compared to a wine package or just purchasing on ship at dining or lounge.

I don't know whether we should search out 'cheaper' wine to bring aboard or not. We like wine and like to have a bottle more often than not with dinner. From experience in other countries you can find great wine for nearly half the cost of ship wine even when you add the corkage fee paid. - Thank you !!!

For those of you who bring wine aboard and pay corkage on your cruises - is it worth doing so boarding in Auckland, cruising NZ and Oz, with respect to those countries cost of wine, [then plus the $18 corkage fee]? compared to a wine package or just purchasing on ship at dining or lounge.

I don't know whether we should search out 'cheaper' wine to bring aboard or not. We like wine and like to have a bottle more often than not with dinner. From experience in other countries you can find great wine for nearly half the cost of ship wine even when you add the corkage fee paid. - Thank you !!!

It's not just a matter of cost, but choice. HAL will not have most of the wonderful wines that you will find when you go "shopping". If you are 3 or 4* the wine packages are not a bad price but the choices are not as nice as some of the wines you will find in ports.

If you go on a HAL wine shorex each passenger can bring back one bottle of wine without corkage fee. I didn't notice much actual checking of which shorex you had been on, so it might be possible in the wine tour ports to buy elsewhere and escape corkage. Any experiences?

They also had several good wines from the two countries on the wine list. If you know your wines and want the good stuff it might be worth the corkage to take it home with you.

I'd look at the usual offerings of the wine packages and see if you'd like any of them. I drink whites and found the Navigator package lacking for my tastes.

But carrying wines to the ship and onboard can be awkward for some folks so that's a factor to me too. I shopped for wine in Sydney and, not knowing the labels, didn't fall in love with what I bought there, but the price was good! :) m--

We boarded the Maasdam in January for a 39 day cruise from Sydney to San Diego. We found that the ship was out of MANY wines, particularly the Australian ones. They did a minor restocking in Melbourne, but soon ran out of the restocked wines again. This was true of both the Admiral's package selections as well as the regular wine list wines. They did do substitutions, but also ran out of them!!!

I'm not sure if they also were out of Navigator package wines, but would imagine they were.

We did bring on some wines and pay the corkage fee, not so much because it was a savings, but because we were at wineries and tasted some wines we really enjoyed.

It was also interesting that we had a "cellar master" on the first cruise, however, from Auckland on, there was not one. Don't know what happened..........or if it was just his time to leave the ship.

Hi, I am writing to you from Auckland NZ. We have some wonderful wines as does Aust. Our reds and whites can be found at very reasonable prices under $10 nz. Best value is from Supermarkets, excellent prices (close to the port). Paying your corkage on these wines still makes then very affordable and above ENJOYABLE.

Happy drinking. Always Moet.

Hi, I am writing to you from Auckland NZ. We have some wonderful wines as does Aust. Our reds and whites can be found at very reasonable prices under $10 nz. Best value is from Supermarkets, excellent prices (close to the port). Paying your corkage on these wines still makes then very affordable and above ENJOYABLE.

Happy drinking. Always Moet.

Thank you - just the info I was looking for.

Thank you - just the info I was looking for.

As I recall from our stop in Auckland, New World was a supermarket somewhat near the port where we did pick up a couple of nice bottles. There is some construction going on with the building, so just look closely to find the entrance. Since this was just over a month ago, I doubt the construction is yet finished.

In Auckland there is a "Countdown" supermarket along the street from where the ship will berth.

It is situated at 76 Quay Street.

We will be sailing from Auckland later this year, will probably drop our luggage at the ship, and walk along to buy some wine.(just a few minutes walk.)

In our experience there will most likely be some savings-perhaps as much as $5-10 AUD savings. Sometimes more especially if you come across a great 'clean skins' offer in a grocery store.

As noted above the most significant benefit will be choice. You will have access to a much wider and without doubt a much better selection of wines.